The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Erik Cole

I watched the 3rd period of your game after the Preds game ended. I sure hope Eric is ok. It looked like he hit Vokouns padding which I imagine was softer than hitting the wall. I'm sure he will be ok.

the padding is softer, but nothing like a pillow. they still had force and didnt really cushion his fall..

Forslund is on the post game and he gave a small update on Cole. He said that Cole is moving all extremieties, is in good spirits, and talked to his teammates before leaving for the hospital. Forslund says he is now at the hospital and he thinks he will be ok. Says with Cole's past, they will take precautionary measures on him.

that's good to hear

Just dropped in on your boards to say I sincerely hope and pray that Erik Cole will be fine and will return to the ice. What a super person on and off the ice. Get well soon Mr. Cole.

i'm at a total loss for words right now.....it's great to see that so many of my fellow caniacs are also concerned - and it's a concern that goes above and beyond the game of hockey. my prayers are with eric and his family, hoping for the very best. hopefully the immediate medical treatment of cole was only a precautionary measure, considering his previous neck injury. in my opinion, cole is the spark that really lights the fire of this team. he may not lead the team in goals or points, but his passion and heart spreads to those around him, including the fans.

Prayers to Erik.

It's really disheartening just to watch him being taken off like that. I cannot imagine what is going through his mind and his family's minds. :(

Just dropped in on your boards to say I sincerely hope and pray that Erik Cole will be fine and will return to the ice. What a super person on and off the ice. Get well soon Mr. Cole.

Very classy - thanks for the kind thoughts....

I watched the 3rd period of your game after the Preds game ended. I sure hope Eric is ok. It looked like he hit Vokouns padding which I imagine was softer than hitting the wall. I'm sure he will be ok.

Thanks for the kind words.

My prayers go out to Erik and his family. I was lucky enough to meet them in the 2002 run for the Cup. What a great family.. Erik is just an all around great guy.. I'll keep saying my prayers and cross my fingers if that will help too.

i have to say that was very classy. and your encouragement is appreciated

It's just so horrible. I knew something was wrong when they went straight to commercial. I know he'll be alright. He's gotta be.

Get well Cole. We are all praying you will be alright and take your time and come back when it feels right.

It's great to see so many fellow Caniacs that care and also great to see other fans coming on here to wish him well. Just shows what kind of hockey player Cole is. Everyone's got a soft spot for him.

This goes beyond hockey. If you were his wife, if you were his mother or his kid, would you want him to take the ice again? Would you want him to risk potential paralysis the next time he gets checked into the boards? Those already were serious concerns before tonight, but now with this, they become even bigger a concern.

Yes, he is a great player, but some things are more important than just scoring goals. I like Cole, and I like what he brings to this team, but if him skating and scoring a few more goals here for a season or two but ends up with him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, its not worth it IMHO

I totally agree with what you're saying but Emily plays hockey as well and she knows the commitment that goes into the game. Besides his wife and children hockey is his life. Erik is only 29 yrs. old and as long as he is physically able to lace up them skates he will. He would not be happy otherwise. Will he ever be back 100%? That I don't know but he will strive to reach it as he did tonight. Nothing will stop him short of a wheelchair and I don't think we're there yet. I really think that the stretcher was precautionary because Erik was being smart. he knew he was hurt and didn't want the risk the chance of further injury. Do I know any of this? No, this is just pure speculation on my part. I'm a huge Erik Cole fan and yes, I was in tears when he went down and knew immediately that he was hurt pretty bad but I don't see Erik hanging up his skates any time soon.

this sucks. i hate this for him. i think someone said it before: it's his double-edged sword how he plays. this was what i found from an article on ESPN.com that is what Vokun said:

"He fell down at full speed and hit his head on my chest," Vokoun said, as reported by the newspaper. "He said he thought there was something wrong with his neck, and he'd been injured before. He didn't want to move so I knew it was something serious. I told the refs to call the trainer, to get the stretcher. He kept saying 'my neck, my neck.' He said it hurts."

I with you camniac. It's nice to see all the visitor's stop by with well wishes. Did you all hear people shouting his name out when he was being taken of the ice? Erik is a well liked player and rightfully so.

This may seem a little odd, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like he's cracking a smile in the picture in this article?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222764&hubname=nhl

If he really is, it can't be near as bad as the first injury. Either way, I just hope he'll be good to go soon and that there's no long-term effects from it.

this sucks. i hate this for him. i think someone said it before: it's his double-edged sword how he plays. this was what i found from an article on ESPN.com that is what Vokun said:

that's so scary... it's good to see how opposing players cooperate like that when something serious like this happens..

We were at the Cool Bar tonight and to see that my heart sank. I knew something was wrong and was upset that they kept going to commercial breaks. The NHL Network says that he has feelings in his outer extremities, but that's all the news they have.

Get well Erik, and look forward to seeing you back on the ice!!!!

This may seem a little odd, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like he's cracking a smile in the picture in this article?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222764&hubname=nhl''>http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222764&hubname=nhl' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222764&hubname=nhl[/post]

If he really is, it can't be near as bad as the first injury. Either way, I just hope he'll be good to go soon and that there's no long-term effects from it.

i saw it on tv when they showed that close up... he looked kinda scared and i dont think there was any smiling

Yeah, I certainly was concerned after watching that inevitable collision. I just hope that everything was taken for precautionary measures and not because he was seriously hurt. Thank God he hit Vokoun's pads as Vokoun was retreating to his crease, which probably cushioned the blow. I'm not saying the impact was minor, I'm just saying that it's not as bad as colliding with the post or boards like the time he broke his neck. At least he was moving his limbs and was talking as well. I do expect him to be out for maybe a few weeks for precautionary or medical reasons, but I think he will be relatively okay, Lord willing. My prayers go out for him. Get well Cole!

Oh God! That just makes my heart hurt hearing that. I know he was in pain but to have it repeated like that. I really feel for his family right now.