The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Erik Cole

When I first saw the play, I got sick to my stomach. It was absolutely horrifying to see Cole laying on the ice like that, mostly motionless until he got taken off on the stretcher. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from what is hopefully nothing too serious.

When I heard Forslund he kind of put me at ease, but I'm still worried as crap. Forslund did say Cole is in good spirits and he believes he will be ok. He said that with Cole's past history, they aren't going to take things lightly. I'm really hoping that it was a stinger and they were taking the extra precautions. He wasn't taken to the hospital right away, they actually waited until the game was over b/c Forslund said he was talking to his teammates before he left. Says this could be a good sign as there was no urgency to get him there. Forslund also said they cut his skates off to make sure he was able to move his feet and he was, he was moving all extremieties. Says he'll go to the hospital tonight for MRI and X-rays and will probably be held overnight for observation.

I really really hope that he is ok. When I saw that I literally wanted to throw up. I still feel sick to my stomach.

My thoughts and Prayers are with Erik and his family. I will be praying for him.

Not to downplay it or anything, but could Cole have jammed his neck? I've seen that happen a couple of times before as well, and that might be enough to scare him.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I think he's just playing it smart.

I'm praying hard tonight for our Canes. Erik especially, his family, but beyond that I'm praying for all our Canes. When we were watching it tonight on TV of course my first thought was, "Dear God please let him be alright." Then I immediately dropped my head and started praying. I thought it was very nice of the Florida arena to cheer Erik on and to give him a standing ovation, especially since what happened with the media Halloween night. I did hear a lot of the fans saying his name as they were taking him off the ice which again I thought that was very classy.

You absolutely hate to see any one of our Canes go down, but with Erik's priors it's especially heartbreaking. I know they didn't span out onto a lot of our other players, but I'm sure a lot of our guys were sending up there own personal prayers to God at that moment. We all know how much faith our guys have on and off the ice.

Our Caniac Nation is the best and we rally around our players and when one of them gets hurt, we all hurt. Again my prayers and thoughts go out to Erik, his family, our Canes, and our Caniac Nation.

God's Blessings!

When I heard Forslund he kind of put me at ease, but I'm still worried as crap. Forslund did say Cole is in good spirits and he believes he will be ok. He said that with Cole's past history, they aren't going to take things lightly. I'm really hoping that it was a stinger and they were taking the extra precautions. He wasn't taken to the hospital right away, they actually waited until the game was over b/c Forslund said he was talking to his teammates before he left. Says this could be a good sign as there was no urgency to get him there. Forslund also said they cut his skates off to make sure he was able to move his feet and he was, he was moving all extremieties. Says he'll go to the hospital tonight for MRI and X-rays and will probably be held overnight for observation.

I really really hope that he is ok. When I saw that I literally wanted to throw up. I still feel sick to my stomach.

My thoughts and Prayers are with Erik and his family. I will be praying for him.

i think they meant on the ice.. i saw a bunch of the players skating around talking to him n then the vs. crew said he was getting in the ambulance and taken to a hospital 5 minutes away

Another Preds fan here hoping and praying Erik is okay. The news of him moving his extremities is great to hear. Hope to see him back on the ice ASAP.

Thanks! The Caniac nation appreciates everyone around the league keeping Erik in your prayers.

We have some real classy fans around this league.

Definitely going to be hard to sleep tonight without an update as to how Erik is doing.

That is surely something I didn't want to have to see happen again. :-(

Get well soon Erik!

And thanks to all the fans from other teams that are coming here to post to us. :)

Definitely going to be hard to sleep tonight without an update as to how Erik is doing.

That is surely something I didn't want to have to see happen again. :-(

Get well soon Erik!

And thanks to all the fans from other teams that are coming here to post to us. :)

I second that KOTC. Thank you to all the other fans tonight from around the league that are praying for our player. This right here is just one of many reasons why I love hockey.

God's Blessings!

I think I held my breath for about a minute when I saw it, and my heart just sank. I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw him start falling down.

Hopefully we'll be hearing some very good news soon. Well, Forslund's are good, but more detailed and complete. My thoughts are definitely with Erik and his family tonight.

It is really great to hear the kind words of fans of other teams in this thread, too. So refreshing to hear.

I am also praying for Erik. The first time this happened against the Pens, I wanted to KILL K-I-L-L Brooks Orpik, but this was plain flat out a clean play. Colesy was flying adn I still don't know really what happened, whether he caught an edge or what, but it looked to me like he tucked his chin and went forehead first into the ice. I pray he is okay. I am glad he refused to move and asked for the assistance, smart move on his part. He knows the risks involved after the last time. Get better soon EC. My thoughts and prayers are also with Erik and his family...God be with them all.

IMG_2304_1.jpg

K~

This was just posted in Luke's blog:

"The sight of Carolina winger Erik Cole leaving the ice on a stretcher conjured unwelcome memories from two seasons ago, when the Carolina winger suffered a fractured neck vertebra after getting boarded.

Cole was taken to the nearby Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Fla. for observation after crashing headfirst into the legs of Florida goaltender Tomas Vokoun with just over 7:26 remaining in Carolina's 4-3 win.

At 11:49 p.m., it had not been determined whether Cole would be released to join the team on its flight this evening to Tampa for Wednesday's game. Before leaving the arena, however, coach Peter Laviolette said Cole already had displayed some movement in his limbs.

I will say that tonight showed how some things are more important than the game. As Cole was being wheeled off the ice, you could hear the Panther fans shouting "You'll be ok, Erik!".

FROM ESPN....

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole was removed from the ice on a stretcher in the third period of Monday's 4-3 win after colliding with Florida Panthers goalie Tomas Vokoun.

Cole was injured at 12:34 as he was driving to the net. He was checked from behind by defenseman Jassen Cullimore and crashed headfirst into Vokoun's pads.

Cole remained motionless for several minutes before being placed on a stretcher.

"From what I understand, he had movement in his limbs," Carolina coach Peter Laviolette said. "He had some pain in his trapezoid area, and I think with his previous injury, not knowing what's going on in there, it's just better to be safe."

Vokoun confirmed that, according to The Miami Herald.

"He fell down at full speed and hit his head on my chest," Vokoun told the newspaper. "He said he thought there was something wrong with his neck, and he'd been injured before. He didn't want to move so I knew it was something serious. I told the refs to call the trainer, to get the stretcher. He kept saying 'my neck, my neck.' He said it hurts."

The veteran of six NHL seasons is less than two years removed from a serious neck injury. Cole sustained a fractured vertebra on March 4, 2006, when he was boarded by Pittsburgh's Brooks Orpik.

He missed the remainder of that regular season and Carolina's first 23 playoff games before making a surprise return to the Hurricanes lineup for the final two contests of the Stanley Cup finals when the team won its only NHL championship.

Cole's teammates were encouraged by the early reports of his condition.

"He had a stinger feeling going down both sides of his body," Hurricanes center Eric Staal said. "I know on the ice he had some strength in his arms and movement in his legs."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

NHL On the Fly just aired an interview with Cory Stillman from right after the game. He was asked if "win this one for Erik" even had be spoken on the bench and he replied "absolutely not".

NHL On the Fly just aired an interview with Cory Stillman from right after the game. He was asked if "win this one for Erik" even had be spoken on the bench and he replied "absolutely not".