The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Erik Cole

I heard that as well IceFrog and thought that was great. You also could hear them all clapping and banging on the glass as they put him on the stretcher and wheeled him off the ice.

it is great to hear that news, i wasnt able to catch the game, but when i went on here my heart sank. i am a huge erik cole fan. I've been a fan ever since i went and watched a preseason game waaaay back in '01 when he was in training camp trying to make the team. I think my dad said it best when he said "That guy is possesed, he's skating all over the place!". It's tough watching my favorite player of 6 years hurt like that. But I'll sleep better tonight knowing that the scan was negative. I bet he'll want to get back out there as soon as he can, be he's smart, and I would rather him rest as long as he needs to be be healthy. We'll need him in the playoffs.

The only thing I can remember that was scarier than Eric was when the Preds were playing in Detroit and Jiri Fischer collapsed off the end if the bench. You could see the team doctors doing CPR on him. Both teams decided to postpone the rest of the game. It kind of put things in perspective. Hockey is just a game.

This is another injury that was absolutely horrible.

Speaking of the Red Wings, I remember back in the day when Claude Lemieux put Kris Draper's face into the top of the boards near the bench. Now THAT was scary. Lots of blood. And ever since then I have hated Claude Lemieux more than any other hockey player. I am glad he's retired.

Ugh... Good to see that Cole's alright, and I hope he's back soon...

I also hope that Gleason smashes Cullimore's face in the next time we play the Panthers. Cullimore was beat, plain and simple. Hitting Cole from behind was completely unnecessary.

That is surely something I didn't want to have to see happen again. :-(

With his "no hold barred" style of play...this will probably not be the last time it happens to him. It makes me wonder how much longer he/his family will let him play if he is such a danger to his own well being. I'm sure the area of his neck that was previously broken is very sensitive and that probably hurt like hell, as anyone who has had a broken bone can attest to. I am sure they have told him that if anything like that happens to just lay still so he does not get injured further.

I was glad to see this morning that he was able to fly with the team to Tampa last night.

Ugh... Good to see that Cole's alright, and I hope he's back soon...

I also hope that Gleason smashes Cullimore's face in the next time we play the Panthers. Cullimore was beat, plain and simple. Hitting Cole from behind was completely unnecessary.

Yeah that would be smart, let's go head hunting so we can put our selves on the same level and Boulerice.

I had to check on Colesy the moment I got up. I kept waking up all night hoping it was all a dream. Glad to hear that he was cleared to fly with the team and his CT scan was negative.

I don't fault Cullimore at all. He did what any player would and has done when Cole makes that move. With Cole he is so freakin fast that any little nudge will send him flying. Its his style of play and unfortunetly his style is going to continue to give us heart attacks everytime he goes down.

Here's a little more from the N&O today:

With the score tied 3-3 and 7:26 left, Cole left the game on a stretcher after crashing hard headfirst into the outstretched legs of Florida goaltender Tomas Vokoun. Skating low and fast down the right side chasing the puck moments earlier, Cole appeared to fall forward as Panthers defenseman Jassen Cullimore got entangled with him as he leaned into Cole.

Cole was taken to the nearby Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Fla., for observation after laying motionless on the ice for several minutes.

Team officials reported that Cole had demonstrated some movement in his limbs and had some pain in his trapezius muscle covering the upper back and shoulder region.

A team release later said that Cole had been released from the hospital and cleared to fly to Tampa with the team this morning. A CT scan was negative.

The sight of Cole face-down on the ice conjured an unpleasant memory from two seasons ago, when Cole fractured a vertebra in his neck after getting boarded.

"I think just with his previous injury, not knowing what's going on in there, it's just better to be safe," coach Peter Laviolette said.

I took Anatomy years ago, so anyone care to fill me in on where this trapezius muscle is?

Good to see they really took the extra precautions with him. I'm not expecting him to play in Tampa or maybe even not this weekend, I'm sure he's got to be pretty darn sore. So Get Well Erik and don't rush.

The trapezius muscle (the traps) runs across from the shoulder area to the neck. It is what you notice first when David Banner turns into the "Incredible Hulk". I THINK the main purpose for them is to support the neck.

Cole Cleared to Fly With Hurricanes To Tampa

By Carolina Hurricanes Media Relations

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Didn't have time to read through the post first.

Posted: Today at 12:24 a.m.

RALEIGH, NC- Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, has announced that doctors at the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL, have released forward Erik Cole and cleared him to fly after a CT scan was negative. Cole will join the Hurricanes for the team's flight to Tampa this morning, and he will continue to be monitored by the Hurricanes' medical staff.

Cole was taken to the Cleveland Clinic following an injury he sustained with 7:26 remaining in the third period of the Hurricanes' 4-3 win against the Florida Panthers on Monday night at BankAtlantic Center. Cole was taken from the ice on a stretcher with his head and neck immobilized following the injury.

The fact that his Trapezius was sore is a testament to Cole's new workout regimine to strengthen the area around his back and neck, it took the brunt of the hit. If it was week his spine/neck would have taken the hit.

Well, I've thought about this a lot the past few hours, and if they are saying the trapezius muscles are sore, than that is great news. I'm no anatomy major (actually, I still don't know what I'm gonna major in) but I know that "trap" muscles run down the lower neck, across the back of the shoulders, and down the upper back region. It is there to support the neck, and if that's sore, then it did its job in protecting Erik's neck and vertebre. So this is good news. I still believe he will be out for a while, and I want him at 100%, or as close to it as he can be. We just don't want him to have a carrer ending injury. Think about his family too, it would be difficult to lead a normal family life with a severe neck injury, it would be tough to play with his kids, etc.

I also believe that this injury is partly Erik's fault and partly the defensmen's fault, though it was not a dirty play by any means. Cole was barreling down the right wing (as always) and made a move toward the goal. The defensmen who got beat grabbed for a split second Erik's shoulder with his free hand (holding, obstruction anyone??) and with Erik's momentum, he went flying into the goalie. Erik's style of paly is a double edged sword, because he plays so fast and with an edge, the only way to stop him a lot is to take a penalty, and even the slightest nudge will send him flying. But that is what makes him one of the most explosive forwards in the league. And you know he's not going to be happy unless he's lowering his shoulder and barreling down the wing.

Cole Smash

Regardless of who my favorite team is (um, sabres all the way), my stomach still sank when i was watching this game with my boyfriend last night, you never like to see someone down like that on the ice, especially someone with a history of neck injuries. I'm just glad he's doing better and hope he'll be able to come back soon for you guys! Take care Cole!