The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Erik Cole

Steadfast prayers go out for Erik Cole's speedy and complete recovery. From what I saw, I really do want to send a big "well done" to Pete and Jason, the Canes' athletic trainers (ATCs). Along with help from the Panthers' staff, EMS personnel, and Canes' players, they did a nice job of spineboarding Cole. It was great to see such professional cooperation.

Were you at the game in Sunrise?

Steadfast prayers go out for Erik Cole's speedy and complete recovery. From what I saw, I really do want to send a big "well done" to Pete and Jason, the Canes' athletic trainers (ATCs). Along with help from the Panthers' staff, EMS personnel, and Canes' players, they did a nice job of spineboarding Cole. It was great to see such professional cooperation.

Were you at the game in Sunrise?

Yeah that would be smart, let's go head hunting so we can put our selves on the same level and Boulerice.

Head hunting is not what I mean by that. I mean, the next time we play Florida, Gleason should beat the crap out of Cullimore in a fight. There's no reason to sink to the level of thugs like Boulerice, Simon, and Janssen.

Either way, good to see Colesy feeling better! Hope to see him back on the ice shortly!

From Sharks country:

Wishes to Erik for a speedy recovery. Regardless of the rivalries, real hockey fans never want to see a player injured - during a play, in a fight, or otherwise. It always turns my stomach when it happens, regardless of who the player is, or how it happened. Remember: The guy you can't stand one season (like Sean Avery) may be on your team the next (eek!).

From Sharks country:

Wishes to Erik for a speedy recovery. Regardless of the rivalries, real hockey fans never want to see a player injured - during a play, in a fight, or otherwise. It always turns my stomach when it happens, regardless of who the player is, or how it happened. Remember: The guy you can't stand one season (like Sean Avery) may be on your team the next (eek!).

Thank you! Very classy post and so true.

From Lord Stanley's Blog in the N&O:

Hurricanes winger Erik Cole underwent an MRI test today as a follow-up to his examination late Monday night after crashing headfirst into the legs of Florida goaltender Vokoun.

Cole lay motionless face-down on the ice for several minutes after the collision before getting carried off on a stretcher with his neck and head immobilized.

He was cleared to fly with the team on to Tampa after a CT scan came back negative. It's unlikely, however, that Cole will be cleared to play again until team doctors in North Carolina examine the test results.

Two years ago, Cole suffered a fractured neck vertebra after getting boarded.

"I'm smart enough to know to check right away. The first thing, I checked my fingers, made sure that I can wiggle them, I can wiggle my toes," Cole said today. "I just tried to stay still and wait, and they did a good job of scraping me off the ice and getting me out of there."

So I'd say he won't be playing tomorrow night... maybe Friday here though.

Well, i decided to wait until i responded in here until i heard more on coles condition. First, Im glad Colesy is gonna be ok (from everything ive read anyways). To those who were expecting a penalty, i disagree. To me, it looked like he simply lost his edge while making his cut in front of Vokoun (sp?) On the replay, you can see his skates going one way, then suddenly change directions and shoot him forward. I could be wrong but thats what it looked like to me. Not saying the defense didnt touch him, but i dont think he was "pushed". I was also wondering, when you look at the replay, he and vokoun are sliding after cole slid into him. Vokouns legs hit the goal post and stopped fast. Anybody think that kinda made it worse? In other words, had they slid until they stopped, instead of stopping kinda suddenly maybe cole's neck doesnt "jam"? Just some thoughts.

oh yeah..quick edit...as everyone else has also said..Thanks to the "visitors" for the nice words. shows not ALL non-canes fans are bad...LMAO!!!

edit #2...as of about 30 seconds ago...WRAL Ton Suitor said Cole is listed as day-to-day.!!!

Even if it deserved a penalty or penalty shot, I am glad it was not called in HINDSITE becauses we would have never heard the end of it, that it was a "bad call and that's the only way we won" (in whining tone). I'm glad our win had nothing to do with a powerplay or penalty shot-it was based on talent alone and a gift from the hockey gods!

I was....had a great time.

Thanks for coming to our board with your well wishes, I think you may be our first Panther fan.

I was....had a great time.

Thanks for coming to our board with your well wishes, I think you may be our first Panther fan.

Hope he's doing well, it was like watching a horror movie there for a few minutes. Thank goodness it was nothing serious, from what I've heard/read so far. Hoping for a full recovery, of course we wouldn't want to rush anything the 2nd time around.

Whew, according to the team he is "day to day". Nice news. When I saw the collision my first thought was not that he was crippled or anything just that it was probably the end of his hockey career. Some time being wrong is a good thing.

Update from Forslund

Erik Cole was with his mates this afternoon after another trip to the hospital for further review. As we reported here earlier today everything appears to be okay. He is in some pain and discomfort which obvoiusly is natural. All tests were again negative today. My guess is that he will rest it today and tomorrow and then they will see what happens when the team returns to Raleigh. Unless there is a big change overnight, the plan is for him not to play tomorrow. But again, the news of the injury is not severe so when he feels ready, he's back in it's as simple as that.

Well ladies and gents, I don't think this is going to be the last time this guy gives us a scare. His style of play is going to send us all to our graves early...LOL.

I'm so happy he is ok cause seriously I'll die if anything happens to him.

I watched the re-broadcast of the game on Versus today. When watching live yesterday, I did not notice that Eric Staal stayed by Cole's side the entire time, however long it was (6 - 7 minutes?). He even gave a hand to help wheel the gurney closer as they were getting ready to lift the stretcher on it. Good buddy, that is.

Nice to hear the Florida fans cheer and to hear their words of encouragement that were audible when they wheeled Cole off the ice out the ambulance area. Their fans were also quite serious in their support/concern about Cole on their boards today when I looked.

In return, I promise not to boo (and may even cheer) the Panthers when they take to the ice on Saturday. (After that, all bets are off!) B)

I watched the re-broadcast of the game on Versus today. When watching live yesterday, I did not notice that Eric Staal stayed by Cole's side the entire time, however long it was (6 - 7 minutes?). He even gave a hand to help wheel the gurney closer as they were getting ready to lift the stretcher on it. Good buddy, that is.

Yes, I noticed that as well. All the teammated seemed to be very concerned about Erik. Even Cam skated over to him to offer words of encouragment when they took him off.

Update from Forslund

Well ladies and gents, I don't think this is going to be the last time this guy gives us a scare. His style of play is going to send us all to our graves early...LOL.

you can say that again! every time he rushes to the net my heart starts pumping real fast