The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Our Power Play

I hear what you are saying, but I think each team we face dictates the style of PP tactics. I think we need a bit more head on a swivel when it comes to teams that pressure the puck. Teams that are not to aggressive get killed by our cycle on the PP. I like what I have seen so far with guys cycling in and out of the back door but not with the camper up front. Still need the guy that does not mind getting pounded in the crease to open up that back door shot.

I hear what you are saying, but I think each team we face dictates the style of PP tactics. I think we need a bit more head on a swivel when it comes to teams that pressure the puck. Teams that are not to aggressive get killed by our cycle on the PP. I like what I have seen so far with guys cycling in and out of the back door but not with the camper up front. Still need the guy that does not mind getting pounded in the crease to open up that back door shot.

Hopefully, Ladd will be that guy when he gets back.

Every PP has a time when they struggle to enter the zone. If the momentum isn't there, or the PK adjusts in a way to frustarted them. I saw it with the habs this season in games where they didn't even look like the best PP in the NHL. they would get frustrated bringing the puck into the zone, they'd do a dump in chase, they'd pass the puck around, every player didn't know if they should pull the trigger or not on a shot.

So it is not that east to always enter the zone. Especially with offsides and all that. The dump and chase can work at times for a team like the Canes cause they can use their speed to gain possession of the puck and establish a cycle. they practice this a lot, the dump and chase is obviously a set play that has been worked on when they can't enter the zone with ease.

I heard an anouncer describe the Habs power play as a "shooting" powerplay. It seems that for the most part that's what we have also. We have cycled the puck and been patient at times, but for the most part we have 5 guys looking to take the first decent shot rather than the perfect shot. That seems to be working pretty well for the Canes and the Habs. It is true that holding the puck and moving it around a while is prettier, but I'll take the goals.

We've had a few pretty ones too though. That set play last game from Brindy's face off to Whitney to Stillman was one of those bang-bang plays that left the Caps just standing there wondering what just hit them.

After the agony of last year's power play this is heaven.

It's true that the Canes powerplay doesn't look all that impressive live, but the Canes are starting to use their speed and transition more on the powerplay, which makes them even more dangerous. Instead of holding on the puck and waiting for the perfect shot like the Habs do, the Canes are charging across the blueline and setting up quick pass-shoot-score goals. Take last game for instance. Oly one of the three goals look like a traditional powerplay goal and that was the third one. The first two were using speed and quick passing.

ya know, we may not be doing it the right or conventional way, but we are doing it. thats all that matters. id rather continue playing like this and getting PPGs as easily as we have than change something and all of a sudden we start cooling off on the PP. use what works!!

I think it's because, as has been said, we are a "speed" powerplay.

Obviously, we're using five forwards more often that not...that says to me that Lavi is trying to beat the other team on the rush down the ice and maybe get some odd-man chances with the other team shorthanded, and, as has also been said, use a powerplay based more on shooting than on puck possession.

It's been working for us...after all, power play efficiency is not calculated based on how long you have possession in the zone.

ya know, we may not be doing it the right or conventional way, but we are doing it. thats all that matters. id rather continue playing like this and getting PPGs as easily as we have than change something and all of a sudden we start cooling off on the PP. use what works!!

I'd have to say that pretty much sums it up. Don't try and fix what's not broken. If we're scoring consistently on the current PP setup we have, it's what we should be using.

There is a simple answer to your question...

is our PP overrated?

Answer: No

We may look chaotic during the PP, but we flat out dominate teams on it. Its an organized chaos, we are constantly funneling the puck to the net and trying to find the open guy. Drastic improvement over last year and the results are showing. We confuse the PK, we get defenders out of position and we get a lot of cross-crease passes because of it. We also get a ton of deflections in front of the net with guys like Hamilton shooting rockets at the net. There is no doubt about it, the PP is a beast this year.

We have the number 2 PP in the NHL, and the number 1 overall offense. It makes mathematical sense.

yes it does. i understand a LITTLE where TSA is coming from, but in the end, in THIS case, stats DO show the whole story, or at least all that needs to be shown. someone needs to shut down Montreal's PP though. it's more beast than ours, that is for sure. let's keep the good vibes on the PP going tonight.

Our PP is awesome no way that you can call it overrated were just that good how ever what bugs me is that our PP is so good that our PK sucks it's 28th in the league right now. Were good on PP just need to work on the PK.

I think they addressed the main problem from last year. The complaint now seems to be that we shoot too much on the powerplay, whereas last year we couldn't shoot enough. We tried to look for the nice pass or the wide open shot and it often resulted in a deflected puck that was shot out of the zone. What we have done has worked and I would certainly rather see our powerplay shoot too often than not enough, so I'll take what we have.

Our PP is awesome no way that you can call it overrated were just that good how ever what bugs me is that our PP is so good that our PK sucks it's 28th in the league right now. Were good on PP just need to work on the PK.

Yea the way i look at it, the PP basically has to bail out the PK unit. Actually, don't mean to freak people out but our PP is basically cancelling out our bad PK. Teams are scoring at a rate of 25.3% when were shorthanded. Ironically we are scoring at a rate of 25.3 when were on the PP, as long as the PK struggle sit'll be tough to win any special team battles.

I agree look for example last night Atlanta scored shorthanded but we came back and scored again on the PP. Heck we had two of them last night. That should have had put us back up at #1 in the NHL right?

should have, esp since MON went only 1/7 yesterday, but naw, we are still 3.5% behind them.

Who's on the PP Units, and who's on the PK units?

Edit: I know Hammy and Cullen, but who are the regular PP players and regular PK players?

common PP players are cullen/hamilton or kaberle/seidenberg on the points with brindy/cole/whitney or staal/williams/stillman up top (line combos are always gonna be switched around however)

as for the PK we often have brindy, larose and i cant remember the other two with wallin, commodore, wesley and gleason on D i think.

as for being overrated i think not, we have fixed the problem we had last year and its really helping us this year. however we do need to get our PK down bc were terrible there.

Edit: I know Hammy and Cullen, but who are the regular PP players and regular PK players?

For PP, it's Hamilton/Cullen/Staal/Stillman/Cole, I believe. Whitney/Brindamour/Williams/Kaberle/Hedican (?) is the second unit I think.

As for the PK, one unit is Williams/LaRose/Brindamour/Commodore/____

For PP, it's Hamilton/Cullen/Staal/Stillman/Cole, I believe. Whitney/Brindamour/Williams/Kaberle/Hedican (?) is the second unit I think.
It's been:

1st unit

Whitney-Brind'amour-Stillman

Cullen-Hamilton

2nd unit

Williams-Staal-Cole

Kaberle-____ (was Seidenberg last night)

well we are climbing closer to Montreal. only 3.4% behind them now on the PP. we are holding at 2.4% above the Isles though. I am hoping that we will really come out strong on the PP against Florida tonight. we need another big win for our confidence

The PP has been clicking very well since a slow start but will continue to be vulnerable to counterattack-style PK's with skilled players. Division teams like Tampa Bay who use Marty St. Louis and Atlanta that have Hossa on their PK units will be problematic due to personnel and familiarity.

Other teams will get very aggressive and pressure the points because a forward-on-forward or 2-on-1 match-up the other way favors the PK.

Regarding the question about the Canes' PK, the first unit which depends in part on who is in the box, is Brindy and Williams as the forwards and Wesley and Commodore on D.

I apprecaite everyone offering their POV. Gotta say, though, I'm not sure we were all watching the same Canadiens/Canes game (the last one)!! They def have a shooting power play, but they consistently set up before the shooting starts, one of the two things I wish we would start doing a little more. Our shooters (Hamilton esp) have such heavy shots that they produce long rebounds, and sometimes even when we are set up in the O zone it's though to handle them. When we shoot before being set up you can pretty much book that the puck's coming back out.

The other thing I'd like to see is guys using the chip and charge the way Cullen did against Atlanta. He gave a textbook example of the proper way to do it: you loft the puck over the defense into the corner and skate like he!! during the "hang time" to get it, while the defender tries to turn around and find it. To me, this is the ONLY acceptable use of the tactic on the PP. Dumping the puck in and hoping to be lucky enough to regain possession is just not smart when you're a man up.

Some argue that dumping is OK when you have to change up the PP unit, but even that wastes time. Better to control it behind your own net, take the 5 seconds required to let the guys change out in front of you. This way you maintain possession and save your fresh guys an immediate trip back to their own zone to retrieve the clear that usually results from dumping it in. The guy with the puck leads it to a teammate in the neutral zone and heads to the bench to complete the change.