The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Our Power Play

I thought we did a better job of retaining possession when entering the zone on the PP against Atlanta. Overall I think the PP looks pretty darn solid.

once again I see your point of view but if its not broken dont fix it. im not gonna say how to make things just a little bit better when we are already 2nd in the league. i do agree that just dumping the puck in sometimes does get annoying but it has worked so im glad with it.

what i really like seeing (but i dont think this is only on the PP) is the few times where stillman or whoever just dumped the puck into their zone and staal or cole races to get and. weve scored a few times off of plays like that so it can be useful aswell

once again I see your point of view but if its not broken dont fix it. im not gonna say how to make things just a little bit better when we are already 2nd in the league. i do agree that just dumping the puck in sometimes does get annoying but it has worked so im glad with it.

what i really like seeing (but i dont think this is only on the PP) is the few times where stillman or whoever just dumped the puck into their zone and staal or cole races to get and. weve scored a few times off of plays like that so it can be useful as well

no one is better at retaining the puck ina dump and chase than Erik Cole. he's strong on the puck and his acceleration can't be matched by any defensemen without getting a penalty. the guy does so many little things that impress me, when he's injured I notice the difference immediately.

I like to think that PPs are a always a work in progress because by the time you get nice and comfy with your general tactic and set plays, other teams will have take notice of them. Speed, the whole team being in sinc and good passing have always been the big key. In the last couple of games our sinc and passing has been off and it shows on the PP as well.

PP, like the overall game, is just in a slump right now. No team plays at 100% for all 82 games and some of these let downs are bound to happen now and then. Hopefully it doesn't last too long and they get back on track. I'm sure it will take a few adjustments by the coaching staff to get them back to where they need to be. Until then, I'll be watching with my hands covering my eyes.

PP, like the overall game, is just in a slump right now. No team plays at 100% for all 82 games and some of these let downs are bound to happen now and then. Hopefully it doesn't last too long and they get back on track. I'm sure it will take a few adjustments by the coaching staff to get them back to where they need to be. Until then, I'll be watching with my hands covering my eyes.

I like to think that PPs are a always a work in progress because by the time you get nice and comfy with your general tactic and set plays, other teams will have take notice of them. Speed, the whole team being in sinc and good passing have always been the big key. In the last couple of games our sinc and passing has been off and it shows on the PP as well.

very true, the first few games hamilton had a few goals for us on the PP and the next few games you get the other team's PK all over him and since then i dont think he has had as many shots as i would like him to have. i have faith in laviolette to get it back on track though

Last couple of games there hasn't been too much support, but also allowed of of passes that went to no mans land. Probably because the player who passed it expected someone to be there and he wasn't. so tons of miscommunication. When the team gets frustrated they dump it in, without Cole, that leaves an even bigger problem in retrieving the puck 9Cullen dumps it in too many times).

I don't think it was a lack of shooting by anyone, Thrashers got in the shooting lanes and didn't look like a 30th ranked PK team to me, but they were also pretty aggressive, and that means you gotta be able to find the open man when the opposing team player presses you, canes couldn't find the support man so they'd panic.

I still think hamilton shoots when he can, besides that though I don't think he's too good at playing the point on the PP. He is not good at keeping the puck in, I guess he's alright in passing the puck, but he's been giving away the puck quite a bit lately. Also i remember last night him teeing up a shot with a Thrasher right in front of him all the opposing player had to do was poke check the puck as he was winding up, and that is purely forcing a shot and losing patience.