The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
natnat919

Washington Fans

It was the same when I was up at the Verizon Center last year. Actually maybe it was 2/3 full and a good portion of those people were Caniacs.

I think the thing that most surprised me was when NO ONE stood when the team came out. I stood up and was cheering for the Canes and I look around and all the Caps fans were sitting with their arms crossed.

There was a lot of talking trash about their own team with the occasional "Brind'amour is ugly" directed at us Canes fans. We blanked the Caps 3-0 that game and actually once the game was over the fans were nothing but warm and welcoming to us. Congratulating us and then asking about my jersey and who all I had signed on there. Kind of odd actually. LOL

That's the D.C. area. I've lived there my entire life until last May when my wife and I moved down here. It's a Redskins town. The Caps, Wizards, Mystics, United, and Nationals aren't the primary focus. The only two times I can recall such a strong Caps following was when everyone jumped on the bandwagon during our Cup run to the finals and when we signed Jagr.

So, take the terrible record and add that most fans need to leave three hours early to attend games (most live in the VA suburbs) and you have a lot of "Do I want to spend that much time there just to see them lose?". When I lived there, I was 40 minutes from D.C. in one of the VA 'burbs. I really had to leave three hours early so I could see the opening face off on weeknights. You had to invest a lot of time to catch those weekday matches. The attitude and attendance during the match last night I'm sure stemmed from total frustration with the team. I've been a Caps fan my whole life and some of these recent games had me seeing red I was so frustrated with the team.

If you want to see die hard fans at a Washington sporting event, go to a Redskins game. 90,000+ sold out each and every game no matter what our record is. Last time the Caps went to the playoffs and played the Lightning, we couldn't even sell out the quarterfinal games at home.

There are a lot of good fans who try to encourage the team with support regardless of their record. You just need to look for them. ;)

I'll be at the RBC Center on Friday night cheering on my Caps. 2nd row behind the Caps bench wearing an Ovechkin jersey if anyone wants to buy me a beer. :)

A bunch of my relatives live in DC, so I visit there probably 2-3 times a year, and they're definitely examples of what mdl describes. All Redskins all the time. They could probably name the Redskins 3rd string linebackers, but the only current Caps players they know are Ovechkin and Kolzig. The last time I tried talking to one of them about the Caps & hockey, he asked me if Peter Bondra was still on the team.

Went to a Canes game there in January. Place was about full and the atmosphere seemed good. That was the one the Caps killed us 7-3.

Wow, where I was sitting it was totally cool. The man behind me had his son and was explaining hockey and the key players, the kids beside me were all excited and after Rod's penalty there was a lot of yells about the canes and the players. Typical hockey talk/yells. Heard some chanting about Olie but could not make out the words, but it seemed to be non-stop especially after a good save.

Yep, mdl is dead on.

Before I became a Canes fan the Caps were the team I watched the most because they showed the games on HTS. There really aren't many Caps fans unless the team is doing well, at least from what I've seen. I was up there during the 98 SCF, and it was kind of upsetting to see the bandwagon fans that never supported the team before suddenly packing the place. Then a year or two later I went to a game when I was going to grad school up there against Detroit. You'd have thought we were in Detroit, as the place was full - of at least 90% Wings fans. Has made me wonder how much of the attendance they do have is from fans of other teams, since it is a place that has a very mobile population from other places.

You do have the Redskins that has tons of support, but it seems that even with so many people in the DC region the other pro sports teams just don't get much support.

Yep, mdl is dead on.

Before I became a Canes fan the Caps were the team I watched the most because they showed the games on HTS. There really aren't many Caps fans unless the team is doing well, at least from what I've seen. I was up there during the 98 SCF, and it was kind of upsetting to see the bandwagon fans that never supported the team before suddenly packing the place. Then a year or two later I went to a game when I was going to grad school up there against Detroit. You'd have thought we were in Detroit, as the place was full - of at least 90% Wings fans. Has made me wonder how much of the attendance they do have is from fans of other teams, since it is a place that has a very mobile population from other places.

You do have the Redskins that has tons of support, but it seems that even with so many people in the DC region the other pro sports teams just don't get much support.

I have a friend that is a big Redskins fan. He could care less about the Caps and would rather root for the Canes...

At our games, you may hear the occasional "groan" when there's a bad play..... but overall the Caniacs still love their team, even in the bad times.

haha they do? oh man you havent checked out the defensive thread lately have you lol :lol:

I think you would see a lot of that here if we were in the tank as long as they have been. We've at least almost always been in the hunt for a playoff spot. They have one of the best Goalies in the league IMO and still can't consistently get it done.

I was at the Washington game last night...... it was amazing how disloyal the fans were, did anyone else notice that? Yes, their team isn't doing well at all, and they've had the coaching turnover recently. But I was surrounded by fans that were constantly "bad-mouthing" their team, nonstop through the entire game. And they were WINNING, I would hate to see what they would say if they had lost the game? And on a Saturday night, the RBC Center would have been practically full, the Verizon Center was maybe half full? I saw several sections that didn't have a single spectator..... it was pathetic.

At our games, you may hear the occasional "groan" when there's a bad play..... but overall the Caniacs still love their team, even in the bad times.

How can you call them disloyal???They still paid and WENT to the game! Sounds more like frustrated fans more than disloyal to me..And i sure can relate to the frustrated part!!

I think you would see a lot of that here if we were in the tank as long as they have been. We've at least almost always been in the hunt for a playoff spot. They have one of the best Goalies in the league IMO and still can't consistently get it done.

agreed 100% after what I've seen on here lately. No fans support a losing team these days unless your Leaf fans, Habs fans or Ranger fans.

agreed 100% after what I've seen on here lately. No fans support a losing team these days unless your Leaf fans, Habs fans or Ranger fans.

You forgot the Flyers. They were in last place last year and yet they still sold out the building just about every game.

And GO SKINS! Not having a good year (again) but got to love them. Skins fans are die hard. They could lose every game and they would still sell out the joint!