The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
diamonddan

Attendance

Interesting point, though it is a bit of apples and oranges as most of the ACC facilities have far less capacity than the RBC Center (e.g., Duke 9.3k, Virginia Tech 9.8k, Ga Tech 9.2k, BC 8.6k, Clemson 10.9k, Miami 7.9k)

Interesting point, though it is a bit of apples and oranges as most of the ACC facilities have far less capacity than the RBC Center (e.g., Duke 9.3k, Virginia Tech 9.8k, Ga Tech 9.2k, BC 8.6k, Clemson 10.9k, Miami 7.9k)

good point, frequently the rbc center is almost empty for state games.

Well that's good walk into a hockey convo, get asked how your attendance is and not only do you sway away from hockey but you jump to basketball attendance and not even NBA attendance but college. That's not going to defend your stance very well, switching sports and switching to the college level. It's a pro sports team, its supposed to have more attendance.

Well that's good walk into a hockey convo, get asked how your attendance is and not only do you sway away from hockey but you jump to basketball attendance and not even NBA attendance but college. That's not going to defend your stance very well, switching sports and switching to the college level. It's a pro sports team, its supposed to have more attendance.

Exactly, plus league wide attendance is down. When the Avalanche and Red Wings have trouble selling out games then there are more issues going on than a hockey team in a southern/basketball market.

In North Carolina, College basketball is supposed to be king. We hear from die hard basketball fans, Yankees, and Canadians that hockey has no place in the Carolinas.

Yet, the hockey team out draws the college basketball team in the same building. Duke might, but Wake and Clemson still wouldn't come close to averaging what the Hurricanes do in a same sized building. More fans (even with higher ticket prices), and more games.

And I didn't even use the NBA Bobcats because they are a disaster.

So, you can tell all the naysayers that hockey belongs.

Thats a good stat if your arguing amongst Canes fans, which is unlikely. But if your talking hockey to a Leafs fan or Habs fan he isnt going to be very concerned with our local b-ball teams attendance he's going to ask how we rank amongst pro sports team and more importantly against other NHL teams.

In North Carolina, College basketball is supposed to be king. We hear from die hard basketball fans, Yankees, and Canadians that hockey has no place in the Carolinas.

Yet, the hockey team out draws the college basketball team in the same building. Duke might, but Wake and Clemson still wouldn't come close to averaging what the Hurricanes do in a same sized building. More fans (even with higher ticket prices), and more games.

Think about it this way....as far as this area is concerned. NCSU only draws NCSU fans and the same for Duke and UNC. The Hurricanes draw from not only NCSU, but also UNC and Duke. Add up the attendence of just those three and they easily out draw the Hurricanes.

If only we didn't have to play fellow SE teams on Mondays, it's kind of funny thing about southern hockey fans, they hate all other southern hockey teams except for their own haha.

Look at that last game we played against the Crapitals, had it been the Maple Leafs do you think we would have only had 12,000 there?

The last several years Carolina has been in the middle of the NHL in attendance. All anyone needs to do is apologize for their ignorance if a hockey fan is accusing us of not being true to our team.

NJ Devils - 3 cups in last 11 or so years.

They have been BEHIND the Hurricanes in Attendance.

If you feel the need to defend us, tell ppl to put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Well, I actually like the fact that on most days I can walk up to the RBC Center and buy tickets to that evening's game. I don't ever want to see the day when buying tickets to a Cane's game is like trying to get ticket's to a Duke vs UNC B-Ball game. Or have to "know someone" to get lower level seating. That is what I tell all of my football buddies. When I ask them how many Carolina Panther's games they've been to they usually respond with never, or one time--ten years ago!

And I didn't even mention comparing ticket prices - ever been to an NFL game for $9.99? Didn't think so.

I'm not even sure I understand what the point of this post is? So when Buffalo fans talk about how they could come down here and buy tickets for the Eastern Conference Finals we are supposed to say "yea but the Hurricanes sell more tickets than college basketball games!"???

Hey Dan...Love your avatar!

Well, I actually like the fact that on most days I can walk up to the RBC Center and buy tickets to that evening's game. I don't ever want to see the day when buying tickets to a Cane's game is like trying to get ticket's to a Duke vs UNC B-Ball game. Or have to "know someone" to get lower level seating. That is what I tell all of my football buddies. When I ask them how many Carolina Panther's games they've been to they usually respond with never, or one time--ten years ago!

And I didn't even mention comparing ticket prices - ever been to an NFL game for $9.99? Didn't think so.

I pray for that day to come. I want the tickets to be hard to get and sell out with corporate seats. That is stability and that is what the owners are looking for. They can not survive on 15000 people at a game with as low as tickets are today. And the salary cap is not going down. I want it to be the hotest ticket in town.... Means they will always be here. I use to like to be able to park close and stretch out and have the seat next to me open. I pray now for that seat to be sold every game. I have learned a few things aboout pro hockey business in the last 7 years and it is no longer about me, it is about a stable hockey franchise in my city.

I pray for that day to come. I want the tickets to be hard to get and sell out with corporate seats. That is stability and that is what the owners are looking for. They can not survive on 15000 people at a game with as low as tickets are today. And the salary cap is not going down. I want it to be the hotest ticket in town.... Means they will always be here. I use to like to be able to park close and stretch out and have the seat next to me open. I pray now for that seat to be sold every game. I have learned a few things aboout pro hockey business in the last 7 years and it is no longer about me, it is about a stable hockey franchise in my city.

I'd rather see it sell out with private STH's than corporate ones... half the time (or more) the corporate seats sit empty... how many times have we seen a "sell-out" that still has multiple seats (especially in the lower bowl) empty... look at who holds those seats, they're corporate seats. private STH's and irregular attendee's (ie. people who are fans that don't have season tickets because they can't commit to a fixed schedule of attendance) are the one's that provide the real energy to the crowd...

Want some ammo when you have to defend the Hurricanes, and hockey in the south in general.

Here goes.

I was looking at the 2007-2008 ACC basketball media guide last night. They have average attendance figures listed for all the acc schools. only two schools, UNC and Maryland, average more fans per game than the Carolina Hurricanes.

And it might even be better than that. Wonder what the PAID attendance is for the ACC schools?? I know in Winston-Salem, sstudents and athletic department employees get in free, that's a couple of thousand each game. subtract the freebies, and Carolina (20,000+) maybe the basketball program that averages more paid attendance than YOUR Carolina Hurricanes.

ammo?............your comparing school sports to a professional sports team

Yeah, forget the fans. It's all about the money...lol. One things fore sure, if the games sell out with seats you'll have plenty of room to stretch out. Drive the SUV all the way to front door too, because that's good for the oil tycoons.

The Canes need to figure out ways to get more butts into the seats. Perhaps having more half-priced nights for seasn ticket holders. What about half-priced beer nights?

The Canes need to figure out ways to get more butts into the seats. Perhaps having more half-priced nights for seasn ticket holders. What about half-priced beer nights?

Now I like that idea! Then we will all spend more at The Eye because we'll be buzzed. :wacko:

Now I like that idea! Then we will all spend more at The Eye because we'll be buzzed. :wacko:

Can't remember what team the ad was for (I watch so many games on Center Ice), but one of them was advertising an upcoming game as "One dollar hot dog night!"

I think I like the half-price beer better! :)

I think the Lightning did free beer night and that...didnt go well.

Did the TB Police put out a report on how many they got for drinking and driving? I can't imagine what they were thinking with that.

I think the Lightning did free beer night and that...didnt go well.

With DRAM shop laws the way they are that would be a big problem. Reduced seat prices & concession prices would most definately boost attendance.

Hard to argue with dollar Yuengling nights ;)

Military ID's should always get big discounts - both box office and concessions.

More than one military appreciation night would help also.

It's great for the Canes and the Vets since theres a ton of 'em close by.