The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
diamonddan

Attendance

Hard to argue with dollar Yuengling nights ;)

Military ID's should always get big discounts - both box office and concessions.

More than one military appreciation night would help also.

It's great for the Canes and the Vets since theres a ton of 'em close by.

Ton of them not close also, so anything to help us would be good too. Help draw us in when gas and lodging is killing us. (Like not being forced to use ticketmaster to buy tickets where we get full price tickets and a ton of charges.... don't get any military discounts or take advantage of military appreciation night).

Normally I get to about 2 games a year if I am lucky because of duty, travel , deployment and money. I live too far to see weekday games so I have no choice but use gas and hotel. So money saved would be a huge factor in how many games I could get to on Fridays or Saturdays.

Maybe they could work out some kinda deal with hotels in area to give discounts to fans who have to stay a night to see the games. That would also help draw in folks who spend 300.00 per game just in gas and hotel and thats using a military discount on the hotel and staying at the cheapest decent hotel I can find.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance[/post]

for anyone who wants to look at the numbers

I think we were up to 17th at one point (right before we played the Crapitals on a monday night)

I was just about to post those stats. I'm surprised Carolina isn't higher up on the list.

Monday nights are usually always somewhat dead, no matter what venue you're at.

Maybe they could work out some kinda deal with hotels in area to give discounts to fans who have to stay a night to see the games. That would also help draw in folks who spend 300.00 per game just in gas and hotel and thats using a military discount on the hotel and staying at the cheapest decent hotel I can find.

I like that idea. Some sort of hotel discount would be nice for the fans who have to travel any sort of distance. It would

definitely boost attendance

I like that idea. Some sort of hotel discount would be nice for the fans who have to travel any sort of distance. It would

Not for Caniacs, it wouldn't. Maybe by 10-20. Heck, when we play Toronto on a weekend or holiday, they are down here in droves, and many stay at the Ramada across Blue Ridge Pkwy. That's airfaire and hotel and tickets! I've given several a ride back on more than one occasion. It's definitely the out of towner's who fill the arena in those circumstances.

I'm tired of hearing folks whine here about how they can't get to the games because of one reason or another (or complaining about the STH). I used to live in Jersey and if I wanted to go see a hockey team or player would either travel to Brendan Burne Arena to watch the Devils, or go into The City to watch the Rangers. I also grew up in Chicagoland and travelling into the old Stadium was God-awful....bad neighborhood, difficult commute (>2hrs). If I wanted to go to a game, I WENT TO A GAME!! The Hurricanes have the CHEAPEST tickets around, and people still complain. There are $9.99 tickets, and a quick search on Hotels.com show 15 hotels in the Raleigh area with pricing below $90/night. The Red Roofs/Days Inn are actually @ $59!! It ain't the Ritz, but they're clean and have indoor toilets.

So, hope to see you soon at the RBC center at a Canes game!

Not for Caniacs, it wouldn't. Maybe by 10-20. Heck, when we play Toronto on a weekend or holiday, they are down here in droves, and many stay at the Ramada across Blue Ridge Pkwy. That's airfaire and hotel and tickets! I've given several a ride back on more than one occasion. It's definitely the out of towner's who fill the arena in those circumstances.

I'm tired of hearing folks whine here about how they can't get to the games because of one reason or another (or complaining about the STH). I used to live in Jersey and if I wanted to go see a hockey team or player would either travel to Brendan Burne Arena to watch the Devils, or go into The City to watch the Rangers. I also grew up in Chicagoland and travelling into the old Stadium was God-awful....bad neighborhood, difficult commute (>2hrs). If I wanted to go to a game, I WENT TO A GAME!! The Hurricanes have the CHEAPEST tickets around, and people still complain. There are $9.99 tickets, and a quick search on Hotels.com show 15 hotels in the Raleigh area with pricing below $90/night. The Red Roofs/Days Inn are actually @ $59!! It ain't the Ritz, but they're clean and have indoor toilets.

I'm not complaining about the distance. I made the drive from Greenville and back to go to games whenever I could go. I spent the night sometimes too.

I'm in Raleigh now so I'll definitely be going to more games, including tomorrow night. :D

It would probably help for some out-of-towners though

Hard to argue with dollar Yuengling nights ;)

Military ID's should always get big discounts - both box office and concessions.

More than one military appreciation night would help also.

It's great for the Canes and the Vets since theres a ton of 'em close by.

I know it's not much, but Military ID gets a $20 discount on LL seats, and like $5 I think on UL.

I know it's not much, but Military ID gets a $20 discount on LL seats, and like $5 I think on UL.

We drive up from Goldsboro on gamedays and make use of this when we can. I always spend $100 or so total anyways with ticket and concessions.(beer) It would definitly be nice if beer was a little cheaper.

May be the Hurricanes should have free Cot night for out of town travelers.

I didn't know you could get to Raleigh so quickly from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I didn't know you could get to Raleigh so quickly from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Mea culpa....Blue Ridge Road. Guess you can tell where I was this past weekend!

Great post, sorta harps back to some folks just have to have something to complain about. As i have posted here frequently of someone from one of the earlier versions of this forum that would whine about ticket prices and parking. Got the person Center Ice tickets and offered up my parking pass for a game. He declined the offer because he didn't want to pay $8 for a beer. If you are not willing to pay the cheapest prices in the NHL then maybe you just need to stay at home and listen to Chuck but please don't come on here and whine.

Great post, sorta harps back to some folks just have to have something to complain about. As i have posted here frequently of someone from one of the earlier versions of this forum that would whine about ticket prices and parking. Got the person Center Ice tickets and offered up my parking pass for a game. He declined the offer because he didn't want to pay $8 for a beer. If you are not willing to pay the cheapest prices in the NHL then maybe you just need to stay at home and listen to Chuck but please don't come on here and whine.

Another great post.... this board has become a place for people to whine. Hockey is a business. The Hurricane's business needs people to support it. Supporting it means buying. You think Karmanos really cares about "support" from people that have nothing but excuses to attend games? Karmanos needs people to buy his product. If you do not live locally, or have to work nights there should be no reason you can not affort $9.99 for a ticket... even $20 for a ticket if you are a fan and support your team. I know this will hurt some peoples feelings by insulting their "fan-dom".

The Canes have the 3rd best record in the league, but are 19th in attendance? I know we are competing with college hoops, and all the other reasons why we can not do better in attendance that people will bring up. Where would attendance be if we had a few down years? Again, this is a business. If people's butts are not in the seats, the business suffers (and potentially could move).

Bottomline.......... Come on out to the RBC, spend a few bucks, and enjoy the Cane's

Another great post.... this board has become a place for people to whine. Hockey is a business. The Hurricane's business needs people to support it. Supporting it means buying. You think Karmanos really cares about "support" from people that have nothing but excuses to attend games? Karmanos needs people to buy his product. If you do not live locally, or have to work nights there should be no reason you can not affort $9.99 for a ticket... even $20 for a ticket if you are a fan and support your team. I know this will hurt some peoples feelings by insulting their "fan-dom".

The Canes have the 3rd best record in the league, but are 19th in attendance? I know we are competing with college hoops, and all the other reasons why we can not do better in attendance that people will bring up. Where would attendance be if we had a few down years? Again, this is a business. If people's butts are not in the seats, the business suffers (and potentially could move).

Bottomline.......... Come on out to the RBC, spend a few bucks, and enjoy the Cane's

I agree.... Games are so much better with a full house. I support the Cane's by going to as many games as possible (about 30-35 a year).

I agree.... Games are so much better with a full house. I support the Cane's by going to as many games as possible (about 30-35 a year).

a point that has been brought up time and time agian.....it's tough to get your butt in those seats if you live far away....not everyone can make the drive + food + tickets to come to the games, and not everyone living in Raleigh are fans of the canes, much less hockey as a whole. Ya gotta have some give and take, esp in a market that is not HUGE on a sport played on ice. The Cup helped, but we are starting to see the effect fair-weather fans have on teams. They come when we are winning, leave early when we are losing, and dont come at all when we dont win many games, or dont perform well.

In the hotel business it is all about heads in beds. If you have a lot of empty beds they are not making money! So you offer a better price thru promos and discount on night that are less likely to sell out. Two full seats at a discounted price will bring more revenue than one full and one empty. And you hope that it will also bring in more sales in parking, food, drink & merchandise. And sales is the bottom line in business. B)

a point that has been brought up time and time agian.....it's tough to get your butt in those seats if you live far away....not everyone can make the drive + food + tickets to come to the games, and not everyone living in Raleigh are fans of the canes, much less hockey as a whole. Ya gotta have some give and take, esp in a market that is not HUGE on a sport played on ice. The Cup helped, but we are starting to see the effect fair-weather fans have on teams. They come when we are winning, leave early when we are losing, and dont come at all when we dont win many games, or dont perform well.

Totally understand your situation being 3+ hours away..... My comments and the comments I quoted were for the people that live locally that whine and complain and find excuses.

Too many freebies diminish the value of your product, if you have something that is worth $50 but continually have to sell it for $10 then most folks think the product is only worth $10. Ticket prices pay the bills, would you rather they place an AHL quality team on the ice so they could afford to offer free beer, $1 hot dogs, and $10 tickets??

Bottom line is as long as you put a good product on the ice you should never have to reduce prices for anything. Too many of you will ruin the freebies and specials that we have if you continue to whine and want more. Do you think the Canes would have these same issues if they moved to Hamilton?? NO!!

Too many freebies diminish the value of your product, if you have something that is worth $50 but continually have to sell it for $10 then most folks think the product is only worth $10. Ticket prices pay the bills, would you rather they place an AHL quality team on the ice so they could afford to offer free beer, $1 hot dogs, and $10 tickets??

Bottom line is as long as you put a good product on the ice you should never have to reduce prices for anything. Too many of you will ruin the freebies and specials that we have if you continue to whine and want more. Do you think the Canes would have these same issues if they moved to Hamilton?? NO!!

another great post.... Being a season ticket holder and seeing others buy tickets lower than what I am paying kind of bugs me. We have a great product and people want to "support" their team by staying home or having to wait for some freebie. This is a business !!!! The Cane's need real support.

another great post.... Being a season ticket holder and seeing others buy tickets lower than what I am paying kind of bugs me. We have a great product and people want to "support" their team by staying home or having to wait for some freebie. This is a business !!!! The Cane's need real support.

Not all of us have the money to buy season tickets, nor do we have always have the money to buy tickets to a particular game nor the time to go to the game. I'd love to be at tonight's game. It's College Night, so the tickets would be in my pricerange, and there's the added incentive of getting a Brindamour figurine. However, I've got class tonight, so the best I can hope for is to catch the 3rd period. <_<

Yes, buying tickets is a big part of the business. TV Ratings are also a big part of the business. So, by staying home and watching the game, they're supporting the Canes as much as you are.

Lets do some math....

For those who live, say, close to 100 miles from the RBC center (like myself). In a car that gets 20 miles to the gallon, thats 5 gallons at $3 a pop so $15 in gas. Tickets for college night are $25 a piece for the good ones (up to $65 total now) then there is food. lets look on the cheap side and say I eat before I come in. Even if I eat at McDonalds, I am still talkin minimum $10 for 2 people to eat, so $75 there. Then, ok, I decide to get a beer while I am at the game, as does my fiance. That's another $8 there. so ok, we are looking at a minimum of $75, but more like $100 is probably normal. That is for a CHEAP game and CHEAP food. For a normal game for the same seats we are talking closer to $200 probably. For myself, and alot of fans around this market, it is tough to get to these games. Even the ones who live in raleigh and the triangle, you have to remember there are 3 MAJOR schools in that area, which means lots of broke college students (excepting those using daddy's trust fund for everything of course). It's just how it is down here.

Not all of us have the money to buy season tickets, nor do we have always have the money to buy tickets to a particular game nor the time to go to the game. I'd love to be at tonight's game. It's College Night, so the tickets would be in my price range, and there's the added incentive of getting a Brindamour figurine. However, I've got class tonight, so the best I can hope for is to catch the 3rd period. <_<

Yes, buying tickets is a big part of the business. TV Ratings are also a big part of the business. So, by staying home and watching the game, they're supporting the Canes as much as you are.

Fan support - yes, financial support - no or minimal (depending on what the teams get from ad revenue during the game). The way you support a team and keep them in your area is by buying tickets, when that isn't an option then a least purchasing "Hurricanes Authorized Merchandise" (cheap knock offs do not support the team but actually steal from it), by frequenting the advertisers that have spots during the game (beep-beep). By not doing ANYTHING financial for the team and just watching the games (not supporting the advertisers), then you aren't much better than a bandwagoner.

Lets do some math....

For those who live, say, close to 100 miles from the RBC center (like myself). In a car that gets 20 miles to the gallon, thats 5 gallons at $3 a pop so $15 in gas. Tickets for college night are $25 a piece for the good ones (up to $65 total now) then there is food. lets look on the cheap side and say I eat before I come in. Even if I eat at McDonalds, I am still talkin minimum $10 for 2 people to eat, so $75 there. Then, ok, I decide to get a beer while I am at the game, as does my fiance. That's another $8 there. so ok, we are looking at a minimum of $75, but more like $100 is probably normal. That is for a CHEAP game and CHEAP food. For a normal game for the same seats we are talking closer to $200 probably. For myself, and alot of fans around this market, it is tough to get to these games. Even the ones who live in raleigh and the triangle, you have to remember there are 3 MAJOR schools in that area, which means lots of broke college students (excepting those using daddy's trust fund for everything of course). It's just how it is down here.

Broke college students is why they have the college night discount!! You keep asking for something for nothing!! If you want hockey that will fit into your economic model then we need to field an AHL team and not Stanley Cup Champions. If going to the games is that important to you then you find a way. Earlier this season I was giving away tickets (as in free, you pay postage or pick them up) and you would have thought they were cootie infested. Not many wanted free tickets because they didn't want to pay parking and didn't like the price of beer or food. This is a no win discussion.

Lets do some math....

I posted this in the Road Trip section about my trip to DC this past weekend:

Loss, but worth every dollar ($70 for two tickets, $54 for beer and food for the wife and baby, $25 to park at the hotel, 30,000 Hilton points).

Add $60 in gas and I was up to $209, for two and a baby.

That to me is a lot. I won't be doing that again for a while.

That's just an illustration of an away game. I get by at the RBC for about $40 a game as a STH.