The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
diamonddan

Attendance

Yikes, this is all getting a bit personal, don't you think? I think we had a thread fairly recently that adressed a similar issue and like this one, it was heading for disaster.

Do we really need to be rating fandom here? No good discussions will come out members accusing and calling out each other for their support, or lack of support for the team. What I will say is that the whining does need to stop. Everyone can only do what they can do to support the team but having both sides whining to make their points is getting very old for the rest of the board.

Yikes, this is all getting a bit personal, don't you think? I think we had a thread fairly recently that adressed a similar issue and like this one, it was heading for disaster.

Do we really need to be rating fandom here? No good discussions will come out members accusing and calling out each other for their support, or lack of support for the team. What I will say is that the whining does need to stop. Everyone can only do what they can do to support the team but having both sides whining to make their points is getting very old for the rest of the board.

Not trying to whine, just trying to support my point about my situation. would love it if certain others on here could acknowledge that my ability to financially support has nothing to do with my fanhood and is not quite what others' are. thats all im asking

I agree TSA and we've gone quite aways from the somewhat off-beat topic at the start of the thread...namely comparing Canes attendance with local basketball teams. I'll toss you a key if you wish to lock... ;)

Not trying to whine, just trying to support my point about my situation. would love it if certain others on here could acknowledge that my ability to financially support has nothing to do with my fanhood and is not quite what others' are. thats all im asking

Both sides have made their point and again, questioning the fandom (is this even a word?) thing is getting a little ridiculous and adds no value to this board.

You do what you can, and be thankful that others are able do a little more to keep the team financially stable. For those that are able to support the team financially, maybe some of these college kids who can't afford it right now become the future corporate sponsors for the team, hanging out in the luxury boxes. All because they followed the team through college and fell in love with NHL hockey.

Now, shall we end this on my nice little story and quit the personal attacks?

Both sides have made their point and again, questioning the fandom (is this even a word?) thing is getting a little ridiculous and adds no value to this board.

You do what you can, and be thankful that others are able do a little more to keep the team financially stable. For those that are able to support the team financially, maybe some of these college kids who can't afford it right now become the future corporate sponsors for the team, hanging out in the luxury boxes. All because they followed the team through college and fell in love with NHL hockey.

Fellas' yall need to relax and re-read these posts. No one is bashing the canes' here? Most are merely saying I wish I could goto more games but I can't and this is why, and those people are annonyed thier fanhood gets put into question because they cant attend every game like others.

I dont care if you attend 41 games or watch everygame that comes on TV that you can. There is no levels of being a Caniac, I'm not a level 27 Caniac because I watch all 82 games on the boob tube and a STH isnt a level 75 Caniac because they see 41 and watch the other 41 on tv.

Your either a fan or not. I am going to go on a limb and say everyones whose cared to post in this thread is a Caniac and no ones challenging that.

Excellent post.

The bottom line is supporting the team however you can. For some that is being a full STH. Others it's making it to as many games as they can. Others just one here or there. And yet others simply can only watch games on tv or listen on the radio, and buy Canes merchandise whenever possible. All are Caniacs.

There's no need to insult or degrade someone else simply because they aren't able to support the team financially as much as you do.

Fellas' yall need to relax and re-read these posts. No one is bashing the canes' here? Most are merely saying I wish I could goto more games but I can't and this is why, and those people are annonyed thier fanhood gets put into question because they cant attend every game like others.

I dont care if you attend 41 games or watch everygame that comes on TV that you can. There is no levels of being a Caniac, I'm not a level 27 Caniac because I watch all 82 games on the boob tube and a STH isnt a level 75 Caniac because they see 41 and watch the other 41 on tv.

Your either a fan or not. I am going to go on a limb and say everyones whose cared to post in this thread is a Caniac and no ones challenging that.

GREAT post. Thank you Legend!

Not only does Financial Support not = being a fan, but it works in the reverse too. Financial support does not = being a true fan. By saying that people who don't support their team monetarily are on the same level as bandwagoners is ignorant, because by that logic, people who go and throw money around on jerseys just to be seen wearing them or tickets just say they went to a game...would win the Superfan prize.

This thread may have started as Canes fans getting frustrated with people who have the means to get to games (whether because they live close, or have the time or money, ect) and still complain about it...which is understandable and I don't think anyone has disagreed with that. But it has escalated to calling out fellow fans for not doing what you or others may consider "enough" to show their support.

I guess I thought that being a TRUE FAN was by supporting your team by whatever means you have to do so. Which is different for every person and situation.

And I completely agree with Legend -- people are getting upset when their fanhood is essentially being challenged or dismissed.

I don't feel like anyone is blaming the organization for not doing enough to get fans there. We all know there are promotions and deals to motivate people to go to the game. And no one is bashing on the team that I have seen. Yes, the Canes may be the "cheapest ticket" in the NHL, but regardless of how the prices compare to other teams, some people still don't have the amounts that are being charged/come along with going to games. No one is asking for handouts, we are just saying that 'hey, this is why we can't do it' and would like to be able to say so without people saying that it makes we are less of a fan than the people who do spend money on the team.

It's very easy for someone else to sit back and say "if you want to go to a game, you find a way" or "you sacrifice other things to be able to." And for some, that may be true. But for some it's not. I know for me - next semester I will be working 2 jobs and going to school full time. I pay for everything about school by myself, and even with those jobs, have to take out loans to pay for school (which I also have to pay interest on each month) I have rent, utilities, gas, school related expenses, a car payment, 2 cats and a wedding to be saving for. And that's just my bottom-line cost of living each month. What could I give up to get to more games to "be a better fan"? Hmm, maybe groceries?

All I'm saying is that it's gotten out of hand, and off topic. We are all on these boards to follow a team we love, and we should each be able to choose how we support that team without being criticized by others about how we go about it.

Go Canes! :D

Excellent post.

The bottom line is supporting the team however you can. For some that is being a full STH. Others it's making it to as many games as they can. Others just one here or there. And yet others simply can only watch games on tv or listen on the radio, and buy Canes merchandise whenever possible. All are Caniacs.

There's no need to insult or degrade someone else simply because they aren't able to support the team financially as much as you do.

Maybe we should end this debate on this post, as it sums it all up quite nicely (although I liked my story too).

FYI, any further personal insults will result in a profile warning so post wisely.

Excellent post.

Maybe we should end this debate on this post, as it sums it all up quite nicely (although I liked my story too).

FYI, any further personal insults will result in a profile warning so post wisely.

Sorry, TSA! I was typing when you posted this and didn't see it til after I had posted. Hope it's ok! :D

Sorry, TSA! I was typing when you posted this and didn't see it til after I had posted. Hope it's ok! :D

To keep this from going any further, topic is being locked for being derailed, having personal attacks and in general, not ending on its own.

To keep this from going any further, topic is being locked for being derailed, having personal attacks and in general, not ending on its own.