The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

I hope Lavi and JR were watching

Tampa Bay, the Slugs, even Ottawa... none of them worry me half as much as the Flyers come playoff time. If you watched the game on Versus Dec. 11, you know why.

The Orange and Black are playing old time hockey, and while I know it's not Lavi's style, we need an answer for it. The time to act is NOW, so the new player has an opportunity to gel with the team. Let's hope a Dman trade is in the works.

We've got a couple guys who can be physical when the need arises. It's fine.

Commodore, Ladd, LaRose, Gleason, Walker. And even Staal's starting to throw his body around.

I wouldn't mind a more physical player. But what about Walker and Gleason? I thought they scrapped? Or do you mean a physical presence like Chelios, Scott Stevens - ish?

dont pee your pants over Lupul. he played a pens team with weak defense to start, and they had Sabourin starting in goal yes he did have 3G and 3A but that only puts him at 9 goals so far this year. we need a good defensive Dman with a little offensive upside, and a backup goaltender (could be leighton NEXT year) and both should be cheaper than Kabs/Grahame is.

Philly is scaring me too, great offense and great defense/goaltending. they all bail each other out if one night the offense is dead the D is great, when the D is bad offense scores, they rarely have complete off nights and are now only 1 point behind us in the standings. i hope that when they play us they dont hit us so hard that they injure one our guys, and as for the playoffs i think we can beat anyone, but i hope that another team knocks them out before we have to play them

We can play a physical game when we want to.....we played that way against the Senator up in Ottawa. I've been seeing a few players shy away from taking even a jolt of a hit, and then screw up easy passes. To give a hit, you must be willing to take one every once in awhile. For the majority of the season, that has NOT be what this team is willing to do.

I totally disagree with the sentiment of the first post.

The Flyers are *ONE* team and you do not shape your team to prepare or counter against any single team. Not only that, but we DO have physical guys, we just don't play a physical game because that is not the Canes' system. However, Cole, Walker, Gleason, Seidenberg, Commodore, LaRose, Ladd, Wallin, Adams, and as someone pointed out, even Staal, can all hit and they hit hard (even Rosey). Gleason, Walker, and Commodore can fight, so what else do you want? The Canes do not need an enforcer type because we aren't a *physical* team. We've all seen nights where Lavi literally flips the switch on the 'physicality' machine and the Canes start racking up hits like a drunk running up a tab.

Of course Philly is a physical team, but also consider that they were playing one of their biggest rivals tonight (the Pens) and everyone knew this would be a heated game based on the previous outing. But that is beside the point - the Canes are a speed/pursuit/transition team, they aren't a physical team - it's just not the coach's system and not only that, we do have personnel to play a physical game if need be.

No offense, but I really do not get the point of this thread.

We aren't as physical I think as 2005-06, but I remember most of the physicality showed int he playoffs that year. we are also missing guys like Aaron Ward and Kevyn Adams though.

I think gleason is physical enough. I mena yea the Flyers have Hatcher, Jason Smith, Cobourn, those are all hard hitting guys. However, I do think we can take them in a playoff series despite losing 3 games to them already.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Flyers. They have an unproven playoff goaltender, and I am not thrilled with their D. Speed wins over size 95% of the time. What I am worried about is consistency.

We don't need to go out there and get ourselves a goon. This team can be physical when need be. Did we forget the Columbus game already? Everyone of those guys stepped up and was physical. Crap even little 5'8 Whitney flung himself on someone. When this team needs to up their physical play, they can do it. Is it the first thing on their mind to go out and be physical, no, but they have shown they can do it. Plus I've seen other games this year, where their physical side has come out.

I totally disagree with the sentiment of the first post.

The Flyers are *ONE* team and you do not shape your team to prepare or counter against any single team.

I agree. There are a lot of teams out there and to prepare for only one team can leave us unprepared for another team. You can't prepare for every team you come across, but if you are a good team it won't matter b/c you're just a good team and you'll play your style of play.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Flyers. They have an unproven playoff goaltender, and I am not thrilled with their D. Speed wins over size 95% of the time. What I am worried about is consistency.

Ya, consistancy plags a lot of teams and it does scare me b/c without consistancy you really have nothing.

Think back to the long series' during the Cup run. As the series went on, the physical play of our opponents took it's toll. The Oilers came back from the brink and almost beat us by laying the bodies on our guys. I'm not sure of how deep we will get in the playoffs this year without a more physical approach.

That being said, I'm pleased to see Staal starting to use that big frame of his. It will bring a great new dimension to his game.

Yeah Staal really has stepped it up as of late, but we need everyone to USE their physical presence and not just....i dunno....have it lol. We need more physicality at D I think. Yeah we have Commy and Gleason, but that is about where the line is drawn, except for the recently occasional step in my none other than Glen Wesley. We need more than half of our blue line corps to be willing to stop it up and hit someone hard. If our d-wont do it, how can you expect our offense to?

We've all seen nights where Lavi literally flips the switch on the 'physicality' machine and the Canes start racking up hits like a drunk running up a tab.... No offense, but I really do not get the point of this thread.

None taken. All you need to do is look at our results against Philly thus far to "get" it. I guess the switch was broken. While I agree that you don't build your team for games against one opponent, how about for games against the three or four physical teams in your conference and most of the teams in the Western Conference? Why not enhance that capability?

An "enforcer type" or "goon" is not what I'm suggesting, but a big, skilled Dman with a physical style of play. As I've suggested on other threads, that'd give us three defensive pairings with one physical guy (Commie/Seidenberg, Gleason, new dude) and one less-physical player each (Hedican, Wesley, Wallin/Tanabe).

It's time to package Kabs with a forward and a backup tender for a prime D-man. If we wait too long we'll need to take a number and settle for something less than we need.

Yeah Staal really has stepped it up as of late, but we need everyone to USE their physical presence and not just....i dunno....have it lol. We need more physicality at D I think. Yeah we have Commy and Gleason, but that is about where the line is drawn, except for the recently occasional step in my none other than Glen Wesley. We need more than half of our blue line corps to be willing to stop it up and hit someone hard. If our d-wont do it, how can you expect our offense to?

Personally, I would prefer to see Staal start producing some points again than increase his physical play. He needs to step it up and start producing. It is no coincidence that the teams average stretch of play corresponds with Staal's decline in production.

Personally, I would prefer to see Staal start producing some points again than increase his physical play. He needs to step it up and start producing. It is no coincidence that the teams average stretch of play corresponds with Staal's decline in production.

He's still close to a point per game. On that 5 game road trip, he got 3 points. Not great, but not bad.

He's still close to a point per game. On that 5 game road trip, he got 3 points. Not great, but not bad.

Not bad for an average player, but not good for a guy who is supposed to be one of the premiere scoring forwards in the league. To me he seems to be regressing from his huge 05-06 season.

Not bad for an average player, but not good for a guy who is supposed to be one of the premiere scoring forwards in the league. To me he seems to be regressing from his huge 05-06 season.

He's getting double teamed more now. John and Trip were talking about it the other night and how he needs to start fighting through the double teams. Physical play is going to help him do that. I am with others that don't think we need to get a bunch of goons, but I still say, look back to the Cup Finals when we had the Oilers beat. How did they come back on us? They leaned on us until we started falling.

He's getting double teamed more now. John and Trip were talking about it the other night and how he needs to start fighting through the double teams. Physical play is going to help him do that. I am with others that don't think we need to get a bunch of goons, but I still say, look back to the Cup Finals when we had the Oilers beat. How did they come back on us? They leaned on us until we started falling.

And just look at last year's champ.

There's no need to goon it up. That said, the best way to battle intimidation is with a roster that is not easily intimidated. I'm not saying our guys ARE easily intimidated, but I do think hitting is contagious, and its infectious nature can work for you or against you. Just as with scoring, teams need physical leaders, too. It's no coincidence that when Commie or Seids hits somebody, the team's play as a whole becomes more aggressive, and aggressiveness is a huge component of success in this game.

When our high-flying, waves-of-offense, tilt-the-ice, deepest-forwards-in-the-league game is in full swing, then it doesn't really matter how physical we are. But I completely agree that when things aren't flowing and our game is in that rut, that putting the body on people raises in importance. It gets the team (and at home the crowd) fired up, and it causes the other team to think twice, get rid of the puck sooner, etc, that leads to turnovers and scoring chances.

It would be nice to have a big forward that could skate and keep up with the play while also keeping the other team honest. I would like to see someone similar to Chris Neil, not great offensively but he won't hurt you either.

LOL :lol: The Canes can be physical?? You guys provide for some good entertainment between periods.

It's one thing to admit that the Canes are not based on bringing physicality to the game, but come on people they have no one, I mean NO ONE that can bring a real physical presence to the ice even if they were told that Tripp wouldn't stutter all night as long as they would punish the other team physically.

LaRose, are you kidding me! He bumps off opponents like a rag doll. Staal?? What?? Did I hear or see that correctly? Yeah Staal is as imposing and intimidating as Barbie Doll posing for GQ. Let's be honest with ourselves. You might like the Canes, but don't try and sell me a junk used car and say it's the best when it's rusting from the inside out, like the meager physical presence from our small defensemen. Our defense strategy is and has always been the "poke check 'em to death" strategy. Very annoying and quite boring.

By the way the crashing of the boards that you hear is just that. The boards are meant to give way and they make a loud noise. It doesn't mean it was a big hit. And hits might be registered in the Stats but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to whether or not it was an effective hard hit. Also just because an opposing player can hand a Cane his shorts via a hit doesn't necessarily make him a goon.

And if you think we still have hitters and enforcers [chuckles :lol: ] tell that to Seindenberg who ran away from Neil tonight [no Seid wasn't running away to draw a penalty; he ran away to save his hide] and Walker who got his jock strap handed to him tonight in his weak fight.

Now before you all go bonkers, I know that JR didn't want a team with a physical presence and its not Canes style. It may work all the way to the playoffs; it may not, but please don't try and sell me that junker.

LOL :lol: The Canes can be physical?? You guys provide for some good entertainment between periods.

It's one thing to admit that the Canes are not based on bringing physicality to the game, but come on people they have no one, I mean NO ONE that can bring a real physical presence to the ice even if they were told that Tripp wouldn't stutter all night as long as they would punish the other team physically.

LaRose, are you kidding me! He bumps off opponents like a rag doll. Staal?? What?? Did I hear or see that correctly? Yeah Staal is as imposing and intimidating as Barbie Doll posing for GQ. Let's be honest with ourselves. You might like the Canes, but don't try and sell me a junk used car and say it's the best when it's rusting from the inside out, like the meager physical presence from our small defensemen. Our defense strategy is and has always been the "poke check 'em to death" strategy. Very annoying and quite boring.

By the way the crashing of the boards that you hear is just that. The boards are meant to give way and they make a loud noise. It doesn't mean it was a big hit. And hits might be registered in the Stats but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to whether or not it was an effective hard hit. Also just because an opposing player can hand a Cane his shorts via a hit doesn't necessarily make him a goon.

And if you think we still have hitters and enforcers [chuckles :lol: ] tell that to Seindenberg who ran away from Neil tonight [no Seid wasn't running away to draw a penalty; he ran away to save his hide] and Walker who got his jock strap handed to him tonight in his weak fight.

Now before you all go bonkers, I know that JR didn't want a team with a physical presence and its not Canes style. It may work all the way to the playoffs; it may not, but please don't try and sell me that junker.

WOW, calm down there Icey.......

First off, we do have some physical guys. Walker? Gleason? Commodore?......dont over look them. And also, most of the team may not be hugely physical every game, but each and every one has shown flashes of being physical this season, heck, even WESLEY! Williams has fought, Staal had had some BIG hits recently, and if you havent seen them, then you just havent been watching, my friend.

As far as Seids is concerned, I think you are sadly mistaken about him skating away from a the fight. Maybe, sure, he was scared in his head to fight Neil. But think about this. How many times do you think guys are scared of someone else, like, say, Laraque, but still fight em. I dont think people step away from a fight for the fact that they are scared. Remember, Lavi hates fighting. He only lets it happen if he sees an opportunity to take ove the edge and momentum of a game. Walker's fight was a litle out of hand and I think he went a little nuts at the end. However, Seids was doing the best thing by walking away. No need to get in a fight to keep our best shot blocker of the game out for 5 mins.