The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Tripp Tracey...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH My Goodness. Where do I start? I love love love watching the Canes on FSN since I live 3 hours away and can't make every game. BUT......I get so upset listening to Tripp that my husband has had to send me out of the room. We now mute the TV most of the game. I even sent an email to Tripp last year asking him if he was auditioning as the other teams broadcaster. He absolutely drives me crazy how he is sooooooooooo quick to talk down the Canes, but in the same breath he is gushing his praises for the other team. I just don't get it. It's almost like he has the love/hate relationship with the team/players. There are even times when it seems John Forslund is tired of his rantings. Who is Tripp suppose to be broadcasting for anyway??????????????

Ouch...that is a little harsh.

I think some of you fans need to catch some devils games and then really wonder if Tripp is as bad as you think he is. I can name at least 5 or 6 commentators that are way worse than him off the top of my head.

There is nothing wrong with praising another team and being objective.

I've said before on these boards that I generally like Tripp and what he brings to the broadcast. He's got a great sense of humor and his analysis, especially when he's between the benches, is good. But this was no act; he was clearly embarrassed by it, even said, "Let me remove my foot from my mouth." And as others have noted, he attended Harvard, so I'm not buying the slow in the head thing.

He was clearly unprepared about the pairings and that is inexcusable because Hedican and Seidenberg have been playing together for a few games now. The casual fan knows it and as a professional so should the color analyst. Tripp tries way too hard to make even the most tangential point relevant and that is where he gets himself in trouble. Both Kaberle and Seidenberg speak English well so it was a moot point even if they were partners. Then he compounded the problem with the handball question. Bush league interview.

Even if you allow for the fact that the intermission guest is often not known in advance - typically it would be a guy who scored a goal, etc. - he should have known who was playing together. He makes tons of little mistakes and a bunch of malapropisms but this was an embarrassing gaffe.

On a lesser note someone needs to explain to him the meaning of the word "exude" to him. Then again Forslund often confuses "mantra" and "moniker" so they both need dictionaries or thesauruses for the holidays. <_<

He was clearly unprepared about the pairings and that is inexcusable because Hedican and Seidenberg have been playing together for a few games now. The casual fan knows it and as a professional so should the color analyst. Tripp tries way too hard to make even the most tangential point relevant and that is where he gets himself in trouble. Both Kaberle and Seidenberg speak English well so it was a moot point even if they were partners. Then he compounded the problem with the handball question. Bush league interview.

Nicely put, stormrider, especially the bolded point. Sometimes everything just is NOT interrelated, and he doesn't seem to get that.

In response to some other comments, I'm not denying we have it pretty good compared to other cities. But that doesn't mean we should accept anything less than professionalism.

The only thing that really bugs me about Tripp is when he says " The Canes do the UNSEXY THINGS?" Tripp, that the hell are you talkin bout, this isnt the club!!! Other than that, Im preety use to him acting kinda like a dork so its not so bad now.

The only thing that really bugs me about Tripp is when he says " The Canes do the UNSEXY THINGS?" Tripp, that the hell are you talkin bout, this isnt the club!!! Other than that, Im preety use to him acting kinda like a dork so its not so bad now.

Pretty sure that's referring to an earlier infamous quote by Forslund, referring to hockey as "Not a sexy game".

I do enjoy Tripp most of the time (keyword is "most"). I appreciate when I listen to other teams commentators saying good respectful facts about our Canes and that is what John & Tripp do also----having said that, I think Tripp (and Tripp only) has gone over the top this year praising the other teams to nausea. Sometimes (when we are winning) I can take it, but when we are losing he seems to increase his praise of the other team. He really needs to get this in check, it's almost like he is auditioning for other teams just in case his contract is not renewed for next year.

The Seidenberg interview was HILLARIOUS! The sad thing is it was not meant to be and if we were the feed for that game for other teams, then this is where we get our "red-neck" hockey reputation from. He literally made a fool out of himself and our team. There is a time and place for being comical and fun which he is and I love this about him, but there are times when it is not appropriate. Of course I'm sure Whitney and the rest of the players ragged him good, it was an interview he will not soon forget!

I might've been a little harsh, I just wanted to share my thoughts. Poking some fun while our team needs to work on their game always helps. Let's hope for a good one tonight. Listen for any of Tripp's clusterbumbles. :P

Also, trust me, there are far worse sports announcers, but this is a Hurricanes Forum, and Tripp is one of the Hurricane's announcers. Anywho, I want to go post my prediction now.

Personally, I'd rather have THIS Tripp Tracey than the one we had when he first started. He NEVER used to say anything bad about our play. It was ludicrous - he was sucha silly cheerleader. Now at least he's pointing out some things that guys aren't doing well (like Hedican needs to skate more, like Kaberle admits he's having a confidence problem). In the old days, he would have been commenting about our good play during the 8-1 Buffalo debacle!

exactly. so many people apparently think that everyone here in NC knows everything about hockey. Not so. Maybe the whole reason they have a goofy color commentator who states "the obvious" is because he states what needs to be said to EDUCATE (or edumacate to some lol) those who have no idea what hockey is about and look to the TV to help explain it. Sure, they could go online and read about it, but if you are a visual learner, like myself, reading dont do jack. And if you go to watch a game and have no idea what they are talking about because they never explain anything...well, you are SOL. As far as that blunder with Seids.....that was bad, but that happens to people. Let it go......

Am I the only one here who likes Tripp as a color commentator?

I think Tripp is halarious!!! I agree about why Tripp needs to state the obvious. I started watching the game a few years ago and Tripp has been the only reason why I understand the game and come back to watch. I have been born and raised in NC where hockey isnt a big sport. Tripp has helped me to understand the game and actually make it fun. DO you ppl seriously have nothing better to do then sit around and complain????? in my 3 years of watching Hurricanes hockey, i have seen like 10 threads dedicated to the man. we get that u dont like him, but obviously there are more ppl that do or he wouldnt still be here. Yes he did go to Harvard and obviously he had to be smart to get in b/c schools like that dont make exceptions for athletes.

and to the person that made the booze statment, *edit* was that all about??? that is completely uncalled for!!!!!!!!

o and since yall are so upset over his Seids interview, how many of u have NEVER made a mistake at your job?????

After listening to that complete moron doing color on the Detroit game yesterday, each and every one of you should be thankful you have Tripp Tracey on color for the Canes.

I second that. I would take listening to Tripp for 6 hours over listening to those guys for 10 minutes.

preety easy way to get over tripp, and it's tune him out. If your into the game you wont hear him, you'll only pick up the important things from Forslund. Honestly for me my ears dont hear any commentary until the whistles blows when I wanna know why the play ended if I didn't figure it out for myself or if I wanna know the play call.

Then, I usually find my drink sip on it and read the TV guide til the next faceoff..... did tripp say something? Who knows...dont care...next faceoff.

The folks that need to listen to the obvious do and they learn the game that way, I remember how hard it was to comprehend a offside... took me a few years, 15 years later I dont need the obvious anymore so I dont listen. So I dont mind he's stating the obvious to a new fan base.

In the end these topics come up every year the Canes start stinking it up a bit and fans arent so into the fact the Canes arent scoring 6 goals a game and thier frustrated and hear something Tripp said and take out the anger on him. Is it by accident this thread didnt get brought back to the top of the forum til after the Wings game? I haven't seen this thread at the top in a few days. Basicaly if your hearing Goal every 5 minutes no one cares what Tripps says...

I second that. I would take listening to Tripp for 6 hours over listening to those guys for 10 minutes.

yea, Mickey Redmond is a pretty big homer. But they do love him in Detroit from back in the 70's I believe.

As I keep saying, there is way worse out there than Tripp.

Yeah, I really dont think Tripp is as bad as some of you think he is. Listen to these people saying things about other CCs that are way worse. The one thing I love about John and Tripp (with you as always haha) is that they are NOT biased whatsoever. Gotta love a pair of guys who can sit and watch their team night in and night out and not be biased one bit towards them. Maybe for John it comes from also working for Versus, but as far as Tripp is concerned, maybe he is genuinely neutral lol. Anyways, yeah he makes mistakes, sometimes bad ones, but isnt that allowed? Give him a break, he IS a former goalie haha

Ouch...that is a little harsh.

I think some of you fans need to catch some devils games and then really wonder if Tripp is as bad as you think he is. I can name at least 5 or 6 commentators that are way worse than him off the top of my head.

There is nothing wrong with praising another team and being objective.

I agree I have seen and heard far worse from others!

Personally, I'd rather have THIS Tripp Tracey than the one we had when he first started. He NEVER used to say anything bad about our play. It was ludicrous - he was sucha silly cheerleader. Now at least he's pointing out some things that guys aren't doing well (like Hedican needs to skate more, like Kaberle admits he's having a confidence problem). In the old days, he would have been commenting about our good play during the 8-1 Buffalo debacle!

Could not agree more. Back in the early days he would come up with some really odd talking points. Now, he astucally adds more value and analysis.

I sometime think people who don't like Tripp are new fans and they are just getting use to him. After 7 or so years, you understand his points and like what he says.

Get Center Ice and you start to be thankful Tripp is there.

Also not sure everyone understands the difference between Play-by-play and Color sportscasters.

Seriously having Center Ice and having to listen to some of the others out there, you do become thankful for Tripp. As people said the Detroit announcers were a prime example for that. After about 15 minutes, I was begging for Tripp!

Seriously having Center Ice and having to listen to some of the others out there, you do become thankful for Tripp. As people said the Detroit announcers were a prime example for that. After about 15 minutes, I was begging for Tripp!

After about 5 minutes of Bobby "The Chief" Taylor, the Bolts color man, I am ready to jump out of my second story window. He is the absolute worst.

Yeah I actually like Tripp, he doesn't bother me at all. I live in NJ and watch all games on Center Ice. Recently they started providing both feeds to each game so I am glad whenver I can watch the canes announce team. Just soem thoguht from around the league. Soem announcers who have struck me as terrible are Denis Potvin from the Panthers and who ever the Stars guy is, he was the worst I have ever heard.

As Canes fans, we are truly spoiled when it ccomes to John and Trip. They are unbiased, mostly, and they acurately call the game. I wish we could watch them more, but FSN has to realize the some of us prefer hockey over early season NCAA basket ball. I mean, really, it truly only gets good in March ;)

After living many places and watching and listening to many telecasts and radio broadcast of both NHL and AHL hockey, I will say that Tripp is one of the worst colormen in my memory. I don't beleive he adds anything to the telecast. Most teams hire colormen that actually have significant playing or coaching experience at the elite professional level. I don't like listening to the guy but hey he is what he is.

For the person who keeps bashing the Devils broadcast team I have to completly disagree with you. Mike Emmrick is probably the most informed play by play man in the league. His partner Glenn "Chico" Resch is a great complement with his insite. Look at the awards Doc has won.

I really like Tripp. I think him and John offer a pretty good, entertaining balance. It's much harder than most of us can imagine trying to keep a running commentary on the fly for two and a half hours plus the g pre-game and post game shows. He does a good job.

...and I really don't think any fans in CT need to worry about educating anyone in NC about anything....talk about arrogant and full of it! The condesending remarks really start to remind me of the bonehead comments we hear frequently from Montreal and other points North of the border around playoff time. It's like they think you can't like or understand hockey unless your climate sucks. ;) ...but thanks for the concern, we have enjoyed the Stanley Cup experience here and look forward to another this year...

:angry: Please please PLEASE spell the dude's name right!!! It drives me crazy, as does "Jason" Williams. IT'S TRIPP TRACY!!! Thank you.

I do like Tripp though. He and John make a great team and hope they retire from broadcasting with us (years from now)!!!!