The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Hurricanes Renegotiating Lease

Unfortunately, that is why they call us small market... :(

even worse.... Edmonton and Buffalo are also small markets but those teams have most of the games they play sold out...

We don't have enough people buying tickets, not enough people buying merchandise. TV and Radio deals bringing less money than comparable regions in more "hockey-friendly" places.

Canes are and will be losing money unless they go into deep playoff run. I guess 10 years is still not enough to build mature fan base that would be willing to shred $$$ on games year after year.

Perhaps, we need to get even more expats from North. :)

Unfortunately, that is why they call us small market... :(

even worse.... Edmonton and Buffalo are also small markets but those teams have most of the games they play sold out...

We don't have enough people buying tickets, not enough people buying merchandise. TV and Radio deals bringing less money than comparable regions in more "hockey-friendly" places.

Canes are and will be losing money unless they go into deep playoff run. I guess 10 years is still not enough to build mature fan base that would be willing to shred $$$ on games year after year.

Perhaps, we need to get even more expats from North. :)

In defense of those of us that do buy the merchandise, season tickets, etc. This organization can have all that if they put forth a decent marketing effort. My biggest criticism of this club has been marketings "if you build it they will come" mentality. We can do as well as the big market clubs if they just put forth the effort.

I think they would do well too if the team could put a couple of big years back-to-back (and I don't mean they have to win the Cup, just get deep into the playoffs). Its either feast or famine with this team and although they've had great success in their short history here, they cant seem to follow up a great year with another good one.

This is a huge sports area and it is catching on. Like our team's performance this season, consistency is the key.

I think they would do well too if the team could put a couple of big years back-to-back (and I don't mean they have to win the Cup, just get deep into the playoffs). Its either feast or famine with this team and although they've had great success in their short history here, they cant seem to follow up a great year with another good one.

This is a huge sports area and it is catching on. Like our team's performance this season, consistency is the key.

good post

This has been my belief all along. If they could just put together say 3 or 4 straight playoff years, they should become a lot more entrenched than they are. Don't even have to win a round, just make the doggone playoffs. As it is, they've only made the playoffs in back-to-back years once since the move, and both of the deep runs have been followed by non-playoff years.

In addition to selling tickets, the Canes need to find a way to put some butts into the seats. Although the announced attendance from last night was over 17,000 the actual attendence seemed far less than that level. An empty seat doesn't buy any concession stuff or something from The Eye.

In addition to selling tickets, the Canes need to find a way to put some butts into the seats. Although the announced attendance from last night was over 17,000 the actual attendence seemed far less than that level. An empty seat doesn't buy any concession stuff or something from The Eye.

I dunno, we were all commenting in our section how full the arena was, especially for a Tues night during the Xmas party season. I thought it was a great crowd, too bad it took the team till the third period to ignite the crowd. A perfect example of my earlier post. If the teamshows up, so does the crowd...and they'll keep coming back.

I dunno, we were all commenting in our section how full the arena was, especially for a Tues night during the Xmas party season. I thought it was a great crowd, too bad it took the team till the third period to ignite the crowd. A perfect example of my earlier post. If the teamshows up, so does the crowd...and they'll keep coming back.

I agree. It looked close to a sellout to me.

I'd love to see us do better in attendance, but I don't think we're doing that bad either. I mean we all can agree we've got a long way to go before tickets to this team are a hot item and hard to get, but when I look how far we've come, from the days of 5,000 total attendance in Greensboro on a friday to 17,000 on a Tuesday night in Raleigh, I can't help but be a little optimistic for the next 10 years.

When the cheap seats are full, they should let us move down near the ice to the empty seats!! :P

woudn't that be nice :)

Posters above were absolutely right... This team needs to get into play-off for few straight years. That will not just increase fan base but will also cement this club position in our city.

Canes also need to learn how to win more on home ice, there are die-hard fans and there are so many casual fans that are coming for pure entertainment.

It's hard to lure those to the arena if team seems to perform better when they play away.

Anyway, i am quite optimistic about the future. We just need few more year and hopefully Karmanos doesn't mind to lose few millions here and there for few more year.

The timing of this is a pretty good indicator of what the organization thinks about the franchise as it stands. They made a few million during the cup season and came VERY close to breaking even last year and they know that another playoff venture this season means they'll stand to make even MORE money. Also, the league is making more money this year than it ever has on the strength of the canadian dollar and revenue sharing is going to see Carolina get a fair bit more to balance it out. Carolina knows they're on the cusp of having a REALLY good thing going here and they're trying to maximize their profits while they still have a leg to stand on in terms of the bottom line being in the red right now. I don't see Carolina losing much money in the next five years and they probably know that also.

Plus, we've all experienced how much ticket prices and parking and things of that nature have increased from a few years ago. They're making more on the 16,500 per night than they would have made on selling out the building even as early as last season. They know what they're doing. The Hurricanes are becoming a hotter ticket by the season.

"Hurricanes Renegotiating Lease, No they are not moving to Winnipeg"

I heard they were moving to Moose Jaw Saskatchewon. New team name to be the Bones. So they'll be the Moose Jaw Bones. I read it on the internet so it has to be true right? /sarcasm alert/ :wacko:

I heard they were moving to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. New team name to be the Bones. So they'll be the Moose Jaw Bones. I read it on the Internet so it has to be true right? /sarcasm alert/ :wacko:

My father was from that prairie town. It is in the middle of nowhere.

I heard they were moving to Moose Jaw Saskatchewon. New team name to be the Bones. So they'll be the Moose Jaw Bones. I read it on the internet so it has to be true right? /sarcasm alert/ :wacko:

Imagine the new jerseys they'd have.... i can picture something really impressive. :)

In defense of those of us that do buy the merchandise, season tickets, etc. This organization can have all that if they put forth a decent marketing effort. My biggest criticism of this club has been marketings "if you build it they will come" mentality. We can do as well as the big market clubs if they just put forth the effort.

I agree C97 it's all in the marketing and the Canes marketing is really bad! Remember 'Pet-Rocks', who would have ever thought people would buy millions of rocks for pets-but they did---it was the marketing. 20 years ago who would have EVER THOUGHT we would pay $1.00 for BOTTLED WATER(in the store; $4.00 at the games)?---It's in the marketing. I agree if we get to some back to back to back playoff years we will increase our fan base but you have to have good marketing to bring them in and keep them too!

I kinda like the situation the way it is. Yeah, the organization is losing money, and that sucks. But I really don't want the situation to become like Toronto's or Montreal's, where you have to pre-order tickets months in advance.

Hell, I took my cousin to Tuesday's game (He showed up on Sunday), and he was really surprised I was able to get two tickets on Monday. Let alone get them so cheap.

I enjoy being able to go to a game spur of the moment.

Well at least they come close to making money. The checkers must be doing horrible. I mean "Hardees Thickburger PowerPlay" gets on my nerves plus there are so many sponsors that the Ice is plastered with sponsors (not just on the boards like at the RBC center) even the trapezoid behind the net is painted:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/ba...kr/IMG_0017.jpg

I kinda like the situation the way it is. Yeah, the organization is losing money, and that sucks. But I really don't want the situation to become like Toronto's or Montreal's, where you have to pre-order tickets months in advance.

Hell, I took my cousin to Tuesday's game (He showed up on Sunday), and he was really surprised I was able to get two tickets on Monday. Let alone get them so cheap.

I enjoy being able to go to a game spur of the moment.

so you like to be a hostage of how many millions Karmanos is willing to lose on this team? :unsure:

convinient but not very smart.

enjoy the spur of the moment while you can.

I agree. It looked close to a sellout to me.

It was also Toronto...there was quite a few Leafs fans in the house. Thank goodness some nights for the other teams fans. I know a lot of people do not like it when they come...well actually just Buffalo fans...so never mind. They help put butts in seats too.

On a side note...I found it quite humorous that the team does not negotiate player contracts during the season. Yet they want to come out an renegotiate their own contract during the season. Laughable... :)

They are also asking for only $2 million for rent instead of $3 million...yet they are losing an average of $7 million per year when the cup year is not factored in? Come on Karmanos, either you want to own this team or not. An extra million is not going to put the team in the black.

Some of you may not want to read this , so for those ...move on but here is my opinion. Buy all the tickets,merchandise,hot dogs and whatever else you want. It comes down to if a team continues to lose money the owners will hold the city hostage until they can work out a deal or the just move so the city coughs up more dough to the owners. The teams with corporate support are the ones who aren't going anywhere. I don't trust any owner in the NHL, some more than others and people in Raleigh shouldn't be blind to that either. The "fans" in Hartford were led to believe if we had just sold out every game the whalers would have stayed....not true.

Hartford had the largest individual season ticket base in the NHL ( at the time) had a decent average attendance , considering the product on the ice but we we were very bad with corporate support. Even with the city offering a new arena, the team still left. It wasn't because of the fans as many here would think . It was corporate support. Its sad the fans didn't matter. Thats where Raleigh needs to step up from what I've read here on the boards, corporate support for the canes is not doing well.