The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Hurricanes Renegotiating Lease

I don't doubt he does not make money or Compuware does not make money, but I have heard the "tax writeoff" comment since I have become a fan when the team came to Raleigh and I am sure it is a nice thing to throw in the pile before April 15 but I am not sure and really doubt it is Peter K's personal buisness plan.

The Canes are not part of Compuware so therefore there is no corporate write-off for the Canes losses. That comment get repeated often but it's false.

When upcoming seasons bring in more western teams, hopefully increased fan interests may fill the stands. I go to about 8-15 games a year, but honestly, I do not bust myself to attend any more Panthers games. Away team variety may also bring the season ticket holders out to the games.

When upcoming seasons bring in more western teams, hopefully increased fan interests may fill the stands. I go to about 8-15 games a year, but honestly, I do not bust myself to attend any more Panthers games. Away team variety may also bring the season ticket holders out to the games.

in my experience NFL and NBA games are really expensive to go to.. cheapest being hockey and baseball.. unless u live in ny or boston, then its god aweful to go to yankee stadium and fenway

I heard they were moving to Moose Jaw Saskatchewon. New team name to be the Bones. So they'll be the Moose Jaw Bones. I read it on the internet so it has to be true right? /sarcasm alert/ :wacko:

I wouldn't complain in the least... only a two hour drive to see a game rather than a 6 hour plane flight....

Yea, me too... :P I guess I mean that technolgy is like fish, it starts to rot when it is taken out of the water. What makes money today, does not always make money tomorrow. You really have to be on top of the curve. I work in Tech and I don't doubt he has not made money but as you know, that $121M does not go into Peter K's pocket. Got to keep the shareholders happy. :D From aa technology point, I am not sure Compuware is leading the world with their technolgy roadmaps. Not to say they don't have a solid roadmap but I remember a few years back reading about thier product portfolio and saying they had real challenges ahead, not to mention the large lawsuit Compuware and IBM had between themselves which finally ended.

I don't doubt he does not make money or Compuware does not make money, but I have heard the "tax writeoff" comment since I have become a fan when the team came to Raleigh and I am sure it is a nice thing to throw in the pile before April 15 but I am not sure and really doubt it is Peter K's personal buisness plan. Rather be profitable and buy some other money loosing venture if needed.

JMHO

Actually he has frequently made the comment that if the team could just break even then he would be a happy man.

I see this deal as very fixable.

1) There are no other current or near future tenants for the RBC center.

2) The RBC Authority is a gangly beast because of the silly number that are actually on its board of 20+ . It will take time but they want a unanimous decision of board members. Unfortunately Wake County's representation on the Board normally is the most difficult to deal with as they have a high and mighty way of doing things. When item number 1) above becomes clear to them... the votes will be there.

3) PK makes plenty of money, he can stand to lose what he is right now every year. Still this is a matter of principal and what PK signed on for and the RBC authority signed him up to has changed with the utilities etc... that have skyrocketed. No one intended for him to pay for these kinds of drastic and sharp overages. He was supposed to cover things his operation forced over due to its nature. When the base safety lights cost way more than anticipated just to illuminate an emergency exit, thats not what anyone intended for the Hurricanes to have to pay for. NCSU and Wake County should be helping with these costs.

It's fair for the rent to be lowered or part of PK's obligation to cover overages needs to change. Everyone knows this. Still you can't blame Wake for trying to pin down the Hurricanes to another 5 years obligated here, and you can't blame an owner not wanting to be tied down.

IMO this is all a non-issue and merely the standard posturing that will increase until the ultimate change is made somewhere in the middle area.

Actually he has frequently made the comment that if the team could just break even then he would be a happy man.

Exactly right and it's because it's a hobby for which he has a passion and millions of dollars to spend on it. Otherwise, he would have packed it in long ago because the losses have really been adding up over the years.

Owning an NHL franchise in a small market is not the kind of business model that will make you rich, if any money at all. Though I'm not a big fan of Karmanos, a lot of fans need to realize how much personal worth, not corporate investment, he has sunk into the team the next time they clamor for spending to the cap. Especially when you consider that the ticket prices are near the bottom of the league.

Exactly right and it's because it's a hobby for which he has a passion and millions of dollars to spend on it. Otherwise, he would have packed it in long ago because the losses have really been adding up over the years.

Owning an NHL franchise in a small market is not the kind of business model that will make you rich, if any money at all. Though I'm not a big fan of Karmanos, a lot of fans need to realize how much personal worth, not corporate investment, he has sunk into the team the next time they clamor for spending to the cap. Especially when you consider that the ticket prices are near the bottom of the league.

Great post. While I am sure it will bring out the Whaler's comments - PK needs to get credit for bringing the Franchise here, giving us a chance, and paying so we would have the success we have over the last 10 years. If not for PK opening up his wallet Doug Weight and Mark Recchi would have never played here.

;)

You nailed that one on the head!!

I kinda like the situation the way it is. Yeah, the organization is losing money, and that sucks. But I really don't want the situation to become like Toronto's or Montreal's, where you have to pre-order tickets months in advance.

Hell, I took my cousin to Tuesday's game (He showed up on Sunday), and he was really surprised I was able to get two tickets on Monday. Let alone get them so cheap.

I enjoy being able to go to a game spur of the moment.

I just want to keep the team here. I'd love to sell out every game. If every seat was sold out to season ticket holders, it'd be fine with me.

I just want to keep the team here. I'd love to sell out every game. If every seat was sold out to season ticket holders, it'd be fine with me.

don't say that too loud, there are those on here that would see the disappearance of BOGO and other freebies as a conspiracy against the average fan!!

Great post. While I am sure it will bring out the Whaler's comments - PK needs to get credit for bringing the Franchise here, giving us a chance, and paying so we would have the success we have over the last 10 years. If not for PK opening up his wallet Doug Weight and Mark Recchi would have never played here.

;)

nope don't worry, no need to repeat my comments ......I know the "real" Pete

nope don't worry, no need to repeat my comments ......I know the "real" Pete

I agree FW, that is why I cherish every day the team is here and every game I go to!! It may never end or may end tomorrow but until then I will be there front and center.