The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 12/26-Rangers

Yep I agree with all of this. I very much look forward to when the Rags come to Raleigh and play us in our building...I think I might add that game to my go-to list.

I just have to say that it was hard to watch this team take the shots that it took and not respond at all. While it was nice to see Ladd attempt to stand up for his teammate; I can't help but wonder where guys like Commodore, Gleason, and Walker were. Sean Avery has always played this style of hockey, our team just didn't seem prepared. They lost their composure at key moments and it cost the team. A fantastic performance by Ward was wasted by the fact that the rest of the team didn't bother to return to the ice after they helped Cullen to the locker room. While I don't expect to see a move made to make this team tougher, which I think is needed, I would hope that some type of move is made to shore up the offense that may be in trouble for the next week or two.

I was really dissappointed in the play of Cole tonight, especially the lack of any physical presence at all.

I was really dissappointed in the play of Cole tonight, especially the lack of any physical presence at all.

What? He was the best forward on the ice by far. I'm mainly disappointed in Stillman and Roddy, mainly Roddy cause he's been invisible for a while. I know he'll come around, but sooner rather than later would be nice.

Anyways, worst part of Cullen getting injure dis seeing Kaberle with more PP time, even the Rangers announcers commented that he blows.

1st period was the Cam Ward show. We responded well after the Jagr goal with a beautiful shorty, and then the incident happened and I felt the game slip away despite a 2-1 lead after 2. We just didn't have enough forwards dressed, when Kaberle should've been scratched. Players get tired, and it can get brutal as it goes along.

That first PP we had was among the most pathetic man advantages I've seen this year. ANEMIC! But the PK was solid early, and the defense was clearing pucks out for Cam, who was on his game. Took some GREAT efforts on the defensive end to keep it tied after one.

A SHORTHANDED GOAL?? What's that? Bout time we got one, and it was a direct result of the good chemistry between Walker and Cullen. It's always great to be able to answer a goal with a quick one right back. The Jagr goal... Cam probably should've controlled the rebound, but those things happen when you give up and odd man rush. I'd call that one a team goal allowed. The PP shows some life late with Staal's redirect. I don't know how many PP shifts he had tonight, but Seidenberg was EXCELLENT on this one, keeping the puck in 3 times, once in the middle of the ice on a great play, and then unleashed the missile that #12 put in. Keep #4 at the point. And while we're at it, and semi-off topic, let's run Staal at the point a little more often, too.

The Orr hit... ain't touching that here, it's got its own thread.

A couple of gift wrapped power plays gave NY opportunities for the tying and go ahead goals. A couple of the LAMEST penalty calls I've seen this year. Not blaming the refs though - we gotta kill those off. The Walker hand pass was a BLOWN call, but Letowski can't have his pocket picked there. Total backbreaker after JUST killing the penalty. Good chances late that Lundqvist SOMEHOW fought off. The Whitney half-break may be the luckiest save I've seen this year - with the Lundqvist going one way and the puck hitting the handle of the stick. The second save of Whitney there in the last minute was just stud netminding. Just awesome, and all credit where it's due.

You could tell we weren't quite the same after Cullen was taken out injured. But the effort wasn't bad tonight, and Cam was solid. But we HAVE to get the PP going. Oh, and a little physical presence wouldn't hurt either.

Nice Recap TopShelf!

Pretty much the way I saw it too. I do think Cam wishes he could get back the shot that trickled in via the 5 hole. Other than that not bad. I remain concerned that the Staal line (1 goal tonight) doesnt seem to be putting enough pressure on the other team nightly.

Time to step up guys!

Nice Recap TopShelf!

Pretty much the way I saw it too. I do think Cam wishes he could get back the shot that trickled in via the 5 hole. Other than that not bad. I remain concerned that the Staal line (1 goal tonight) doesnt seem to be putting enough pressure on the other team nightly.

Time to step up guys!

Didn't he get that one back? If its the one I'm thinking of, it went in after they blew the play dead.

(BTW, I think that was the first time all season we got the benefit of a quick whistle)

Nice Recap TopShelf!

Time to step up guys!

Didn't he get that one back? If its the one I'm thinking of, it went in after they blew the play dead.

(BTW, I think that was the first time all season we got the benefit of a quick whistle)

The third goal was scored off a rebound that Girardi put back through Ward's legs.

they must have mistaken Ward for Brodeur :lol:

1st: consider ourselves lucky that we got out of it 0-0, could have been worse, got the feeling though that NY was really desperate for a win tonight.

2nd: Crazy period, rags get the lead with the first goal (nothing new on our part), then we get a shorty ( :o ), cullen gets laid out (have to wait til I get home to see the hit to make any conclusions on it) then we get the lead with a nice redirect by Staal on the PP none the less. Ok things are looking good minus cullens injury...

3rd: We beat ourselves, its one thing to blame refs on bad calls, but we had ample PPs in the 3rd to come back and win or at least tie and take it to OT but we just didn't fight at all. I don't know if it was the travel, the injuries or what, but pretty much coasted through the 3rd with little to no effort from what I could tell.

bad news obviously is losing yet another player, whats that, 3-4 players this week? who gets called up now? I don't think we got anyone in the system that can fill cullens skates while he is out...

I didn't get to see much of the game. I turned it on with about 10 to go. But from what I saw, Canes did NOT play well in the 3rd. PP really struggled. I can't really understand the whole dumping the puck and chasing after it routine on the PP. I only saw a short clip of Cullen getting hit. It looked intentional, but I can't tell for sure. I'll have to see if I can find a better view somehow tonight. Maybe sportscenter, youtube, or something...

Next one being called up would be who? Hughes? Or would we just call up Aucoin or Bayda?

Ahh the quick whistle one, imo that should have been a Rag score.

No was talking about the earlier goal that hit the inside of his leg pad and went in via the 5.

Yeah I agree on that one. If it was reversed and happened to the Canes, I'd haved been mad.

Yeah I agree on that one. If it was reversed and happened to the Canes, I'd haved been mad.

I'd say all you have to do is beat the crap out of us and then you will win.

I am really upset with this game. I felt like we were a total bunch of wusses out there, apart from Nolan being willing to go with Avery. MC looked ridiculous in his attempt to stick up for MC, and Ladd looked like he got slapped and turned his head and started crying and quit. We just got our butts kicked without any serious Laraque-like retaliation from anyone on our team (please don't call MC on Orr or Ladd on Avery a retaliation, it was a joke). One of the reasons is that we don't have anyone even close to Laraque's caliber. If we want to keep these elite forwards in the lineup then if we don't get some type of enforcer bigger than 5'10" out there, we will continue to get abused with no consequences from anyone, except maybe the league. People will walk right through us. If you want to play hockey, we can do that pretty well on some nights. But if you want to play rough hockey, here you go, here's two points for you. This really irritates me. Did anyone else feel like they wanted to go out there and kick Orr and Avery's butts themselves (if you could)? I haven't been this angry in a while after watching a game.

First Period:We looked like a team who had 3 days off and traveled that morning. The skating legs were not there and we had no jump. Rangers were ready to go and thanks to Cam he kept this game at 0-0 going into the 2nd.

Second Period:With 20 minutes of hockey back in their systems, they looked like they remembered how to play the game. Canes were definetly the better team in the 2nd. We were playing our game and putting the Rangers on their heels. Nice set up by Cully to Walker for our 1st shorty. Then Cully got blindsided and right then, I knew we lost this game. This team loses too many games when a serious injury occurs, see Williams in Florida, Walker in Pittsburgh. The 5 minute man advantage was ATROCIOUS.

Third Period:The special teams took over. Rangers PP got rolling and scored 2 PPG. Our PP sucks, our PK sucks. That about covered the 3rd.

The Bad:

1-our PP sucks and needs major help. I'm about done with Hamilton on the point. I see they moved him to the 2nd unit, but let's try him at the half boards instead of the point. He makes too many mistakes when he gets pressured, so maybe being at the halfboards where he won't be as pressured will be a better fit for him.

2-our PK although it has gotten better, 30th in the league is not going to get you to the Playoffs. Not even sure how to go about getting this fixed. And I know having Williams, and Larose out doesn't help, but we were in the bottom when they were healthy.

3-Team toughness. We need it. This won't be the last game where the other team takes cheapshots and gets away with it. We need an enforcer.

The Good:

1-the Shorty

I noticed someone else's sig had a graph of points accumulated game-by-game through each of this and the past 2 seasons. It wasn't the best resolution, but it sure looked like we have now slipped behind our points pace for last year. Can this be true? If so, we do need to shake things up again, as the fan base here will not grow heading into next season at all, but rather slip.

This game put on display our general lack of toughness. We need to be able to skate like we do, while also landing some good, sound, clean hits. This game and others seemed to illustrate our team's hesitancy to hit big-name players, or to go into hits "butt-first" - what is that about? We seem to spend a lot of time watching guys skate around us.

Finally, our inability to hold the blue line (except for Seidenberg on his one EXCELLENT shift) was a glaring gap last night. I lost count of how manytimes Kaberle, Hedican, others missed the puck coming out of the corners and it ends up all the way down ice. The 5-minute PP generated more shots on goal for them than us if I counted right.

We need toughness, we need D-fence. Looking around the NHL, D-man availability is low. The price for us to bring in the kind of D-man we need will be high. Our currency, our depth at forward, has taken some hits lately.

We're not in a good position right now, at all.

First Period:We looked like a team who had 3 days off and traveled that morning. The skating legs were not there and we had no jump. Rangers were ready to go and thanks to Cam he kept this game at 0-0 going into the 2nd.

Second Period:With 20 minutes of hockey back in their systems, they looked like they remembered how to play the game. Canes were definetly the better team in the 2nd. We were playing our game and putting the Rangers on their heels. Nice set up by Cully to Walker for our 1st shorty. Then Cully got blindsided and right then, I knew we lost this game. This team loses too many games when a serious injury occurs, see Williams in Florida, Walker in Pittsburgh. The 5 minute man advantage was ATROCIOUS.

Third Period:The special teams took over. Rangers PP got rolling and scored 2 PPG. Our PP sucks, our PK sucks. That about covered the 3rd.

The Bad:

1-our PP sucks and needs major help. I'm about done with Hamilton on the point. I see they moved him to the 2nd unit, but let's try him at the half boards instead of the point. He makes too many mistakes when he gets pressured, so maybe being at the halfboards where he won't be as pressured will be a better fit for him.

2-our PK although it has gotten better, 30th in the league is not going to get you to the Playoffs. Not even sure how to go about getting this fixed. And I know having Williams, and Larose out doesn't help, but we were in the bottom when they were healthy.

3-Team toughness. We need it. This won't be the last game where the other team takes cheapshots and gets away with it. We need an enforcer.

The Good:

1-the Shorty

The lack of TEAM TOUGHNESS was so apparent last nite that it should have been embarrasing to the whole organization :angry: !! Kudos to Commy for coming to Matts defense. Maybe some to Ladd&Nolan as well but the rest of the Team just rolled over. Everyone knows just hit the Canes and you will win. We need someone in this organization to make some changes. You don't have to be a bunch of GOONS but come on boys,, you just got your butts whipped and you guys just put your tails between your legs!!! I'm not talking about getting your butts whipped in the game,wasn't all that bad of a game but to get pushed all over the ice without bringing any kind of physicallity was a joke!!!These guys need to step it up or they can all be ready for alot more punishment.

Cam looked pretty good,gave up a few to many rebounds,but overall not to bad.

Yep here i go again,,,what the heck is Kabs doing on the ice, :blink::blink::blink: ,can anyone tell me????He was so bad last nite it was unbelieveable!!!I think the coach needs his head examined if he ever puts him on the ice again. Get anyone from Albany to take his place,they will be more of an asset to the team than Kabs!!Sit him and his 2 million dollar contract at least maybe we will get someone willing to play!!!

This "Team" needs to take a step back,,regroup and get their act together , make some changes for the better or they will get their butts handed to them nite in and nite out!!

The lack of TEAM TOUGHNESS was so apparent last nite that it should have been embarrasing to the whole organization :angry: !! Kudos to Commy for coming to Matts defense. Maybe some to Ladd&Nolan as well but the rest of the Team just rolled over. Everyone knows just hit the Canes and you will win. We need someone in this organization to make some changes. You don't have to be a bunch of GOONS but come on boys,, you just got your butts whipped and you guys just put your tails between your legs!!! I'm not talking about getting your butts whipped in the game,wasn't all that bad of a game but to get pushed all over the ice without bringing any kind of physicallity was a joke!!!These guys need to step it up or they can all be ready for alot more punishment.

Cam looked pretty good,gave up a few to many rebounds,but overall not to bad.

Yep here i go again,,,what the heck is Kabs doing on the ice, :blink::blink::blink: ,can anyone tell me????He was so bad last nite it was unbelieveable!!!I think the coach needs his head examined if he ever puts him on the ice again. Get anyone from Albany to take his place,they will be more of an asset to the team than Kabs!!Sit him and his 2 million dollar contract at least maybe we will get someone willing to play!!!

This "Team" needs to take a step back,,regroup and get their act together , make some changes for the better or they will get their butts handed to them nite in and nite out!!

I actually thought Kaberle was pretty decent last night. He had some real good passes to clear the zone and had that really nice one that Cole ended up hitting the post on.

But last night was disgusting on so many levels. I've pretty much lost all respect for the Rangers between Avery's lack of testicles and the rest of the team's cheapshots. We were in that game until the Cullen injury, and then the Rangers just started pushing us around.

The six on three for over a minute at the end looked pretty pathetic. I heard the Canes worked on the PP in the morning. They still can't do much better than dump and chase (chase the puck down to their own end after the other team clears it). Not to mention the pathetic inability to even get a scoring chance on the five minute PP. If you have no team toughness then you have to make the other team pay for stuff like the Rangers did. Sadly, the Canes rolled over.

Commodore came out and made a valiant effort to do something, but sadly ended up taking a whooping himself and getting tossed to the ice. I'd like to have seen Nolan whup Malik while Malik was continually shoving him in the chest with his glove. I'll bet some people are wondering if we should have kept Jesse Boulerice. Seriously -- what do guys like Letowski and Adams add anyway?

If the league really was serious about eliminating the goonery and opening things up for the skills players, they would deal more harshly with the likes of Orpik, Avery, Orr, Bertuzzi, et.al. But instead of the NHL wondering why a team has three players out with concussions (are they being headhunted), they spend more time reading the the diving accusations in Miami newspapers.

As for the rest of the season, I guess Rutherford and Francis have to decide whether to trade pieces of the future away to fill current gaps or try to gut it out and at least grab a playoff spot at the bottom. A couple more losses though (combined with wins by other teams) and the Canes could find themselves in twelfth place -- they only have a four-point lead over 12th and every team below them in the east has one, two or even three games in hand!!!!

I actually thought Kaberle was pretty decent last night. He had some real good passes to clear the zone and had that really nice one that Cole ended up hitting the post on.

But last night was disgusting on so many levels. I've pretty much lost all respect for the Rangers between Avery's lack of testicles and the rest of the team's cheapshots. We were in that game until the Cullen injury, and then the Rangers just started pushing us around.

The Kabs that i saw,couldn't hold the puck in the zone on every PP that he was on, took i huge hit because he was so worried about getting hit,he put himself in harms way even more. The 1 time he did try to pinch he got caught and took a penalty,when he did shoot he shot it directly into a Ranger player. He was out of position so many times it was unbelieveable. Yeah a couple good passes to me doesn't make a good d-man..There were a few other instances when he was going to get hit he turned the puck over. I just don't see what anyone sees in his hockey ability!