The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
6-19-06

What now?

i think we need an enforcer,we are getting banged up and teams realize no one is going to do anything about it!!!! what trades do you think will happen

We don't need an enforcer, we just need to establish our willingness AS A TEAM to play physical hockey in games against teams like NY, Philly, and Columus.

As for potential trades, I'd say any deal that moves Johnny Grahame off our payroll is a good one.

I really would like Chris Neil. I don't know what we have that they'd want for him, however.

I guess I could settle for McGratton if the cost is low. We need a tough guy.

oooooh I didn't even think of him

McGrattan would be awesome and VERRRRRRRY affordable.

We don't need an enforcer, we just need to establish our willingness AS A TEAM to play physical hockey in games against teams like NY, Philly, and Columus.

As for potential trades, I'd say any deal that moves Johnny Grahame off our payroll is a good one.

We don't have the players to play tough physical games against teams like NY, Philly, and Columbus...

We have 2 players who can throw their weight around but rarely do (Ladd and Gleason) 1 who does throw his weight around and probably shouldn't (Commodore) 1 who thinks he can but isn't all that effective (Walker) and 1 who tries but never should (Cole)... Everyone else out there is soft and when they do hit, its weak and ineffective.

We need someone on our team who can effectively throw his weight around and send a message to other teams. Aaron Ward used to do that for us, and was great because he would punish players who tried to continuously cycle the puck down low. We don't have anyone who does that anymore, cept Commodore and he ALWAYS gets burned when he does. Our team lacks the kind of physical play we need to really succeed in this league right now. Yes, you need quickness and you need agility, but nowadays you also need to be tough. Teams like Philly have that combination where they are able to move the puck quickly and they are also able to move the opponent's body off the puck. If we want to compete at that kind of level consistently, we need to as well. IMHO, thats our biggest need right now bar none.

Yeah, but Philly's also last in their division and have lost six straight (I think it's six).

Although now I'd love to get Aaron Ward back. If only we could do a straight-up Kaberle for A. Ward swap...

A.Ward has a broken foot and is on IR....doubt we will be getting him. We can just pray he will get an offer from JR at the end of the season.

Yeah, but Philly's also last in their division and have lost six straight (I think it's six).

Although now I'd love to get Aaron Ward back. If only we could do a straight-up Kaberle for A. Ward swap...

They've also been going through the injury bug, especially with Gagne out as long as he has been. They have also not looked that bad over their stretch of losses. Yes, they have lost the games, but for the most part, they have been the better team in most, the pucks just aren't bouncing their way. I mean its one thing to lose games where you played well and just weren't able to win, its another if you are thoroughly outplayed in a majority of the facets of the game. The Flyers aren't necessarily getting outplayed in their losses like the Canes do, thats the big difference.

I'll tell you this, they are certainly not a team I would want to face in the playoffs. They are set up for a long run if they make it to the tournament, especially if they go into it healthy.

Oh, I'd hate to play Philly in the playoffs. I'd just as soon forfeit so we could keep our lives.

The scary part is that they play just as physical as they did back in the 90s when they had Lindros, but they have adapted their style to coincide with the quickness of today's game.

They might not make the playoffs this year, but they are going to be scary good in the coming years. They won't just score 6 goals on you a night, they'll also beat you into submission at the same time.

i say we sign a nobody, minimum nhl salary, then we could stick him in the AHL where 85% of hockey fans doesnt know exist. there we'll just keep him in a cage and pump him up with some HGH and some other crap so he gets angry, and finally we can release him to the public as our entire D line.

As much as I have hated the guy in the past, I would welcome Chris Neil at the moment. I just want someone on the roster that will make that monster hit when the opportunity presents itself and, if needed, play a little dirty.

Like i said last night after the joke of a game in NY, we need to teach Mike Tyson to skate.

Boy, that's a mental image that's going to haunt me tonight.

"What ya thinking, honey?"

oooooh I didn't even think of him

McGrattan would be awesome and VERRRRRRRY affordable.

McGrattan sucks. He's gotten owned by Boulerice a couple times and he's not good enough to play a regular shift. You got one part right, he's affordable, but that's it. If we wanted a guy like him we'd call up Gillies or Brookbank. The point is we want someone good enough to play regularly, McGrattan ain't that guy.

Jack Johnson sounds pretty good right now...

Stare at my watch,,, ,,back &forth, :unsure: ,,back& forth,, :unsure: ,,,your getting sleepy,, <_< ,,,more sleepy,,,,,now you under my spell,, :blink: ,,,,,: ,,,,,,,repeat after me,, :o ,, , I will never bring up that name again,,,, :o ,,,,Jack Johnson is gone from your mind,, ,,, your free now!!!!!!! :lol: on the count of three you will awaken a new person!!!! :blink:

ONE ,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TWO,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THREE,,,,,, :rolleyes: ,,,,,,,,,

As much as I have hated the guy in the past, I would welcome Chris Neil at the moment. I just want someone on the roster that will make that monster hit when the opportunity presents itself and, if needed, play a little dirty.

Too bad Ottawa give him up. He's exactly what we need, but so does Ottawa.

I am posting this here because there is not really a need to post a new topic about this and it is about what to do.

NHL.com had this SE "updated" but this was really about Ladders and Nolan:

The Carolina Hurricanes lost more than just a game Dec. 21 in Florida. The team also lost one of its leading scorers, Justin Williams.

Williams tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the first period of a 5-4 loss to the Panthers. According to General Manager Jim Rutherford, Williams will have reconstructive surgery on the knee and will miss at least four months.

Williams' offense, durability and versatility will be tough to replace. Before he got injured, Williams, who led the team in goals last season (33), was second on the squad in assists (21), third in average ice time (19:43) and shots (104), and fifth in goals with nine. The Carolina forward also contributed two goals and six assists for eight power-play points and played 205 consecutive regular-season games dating back to March 27, 2004.

"It's tough to replace a guy like Willy (Williams)," 'Canes defenseman Mike Commodore said. "He brings a lot to our team