The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mentosman42

The Hit

??? who said anything about orr being a hero

its not that you did, its that you were clearly giving up that opinion without actually saying it. im sure Rags fans see him as a hero since his hit pretty much led to the breakdown of the canes team and therefore the come from behind win for the rags.

its not that you did, its that you were clearly giving up that opinion without actually saying it. im sure Rags fans see him as a hero since his hit pretty much led to the breakdown of the canes team and therefore the come from behind win for the rags.

how was it a come from behind victory due to the hit? at the time of the hit, the score was 1-1. the canes failed to score on the ensuing major, but got another PP shortly after it expired. they scored with about 7 seconds left on that PP to make it 2-1, which it stayed to the end of the second. orr did not lead to the breakdown

how was it a come from behind victory due to the hit? at the time of the hit, the score was 1-1. the canes failed to score on the ensuing major, but got another PP shortly after it expired. they scored with about 7 seconds left on that PP to make it 2-1, which it stayed to the end of the second. orr did not lead to the breakdown

So you think that watching your team lose yet another teamate (and friend) to a very serious injury, the 4th one in the past week-and-a-half.....has absolutely no bearing on the game at hand and keeping focus to the players on the ice?

So you think that watching your team lose yet another teamate (and friend) to a very serious injury, the 4th one in the past week-and-a-half.....has absolutely no bearing on the game at hand and keeping focus to the players on the ice?

I've said this before and I think I'll have to say it again.

I don't understand why members of another message board feel the compulsion to seek out our message board a matter of minutes after a player on their team injures/seriously injures a player on our team. Not only is this unwise, because tempers are usually quite hot at that point, but it looks very childish when a post is made defending the player who deliberately/not deliberately caused the injury. It's usually best to wait until after the suspension is/is not given out, and to start out by offering sympathy for the injured player.

Otherwise, intentionally or not, you make yourself look like a troll. And if there's one thing we uniformly hate here, it's a troll from another team. We have had bad experiences with Montreal, New Jersey, New York, and Buffalo fans here in recent years, and adding the 'ny' or 'nyr' tag to your user name just raises a red flag.

This is not your board, we are not fans of your team. You are a guest here. Conduct yourself in a fashion that would make us invite you back. Don't do something here that you wouldn't do if you were invited to someone's party. If you treat us, your hosts, with respect, we'll gladly reciprocate. It's that simple.

Well stated FM. When a fan of the opposing team feels compelled to register and post on our message board immediately to defend the actions of his team, it screams two things to me:

1) You yourself question the action and are seeking to validate by coming here and "proving" all our opinions wrong and convince us to see it your way.

2) Your own board has had enough of you too and you need another board to "hear" your opinions.

Well stated FM. When a fan of the opposing team feels compelled to register and post on our message board immediately to defend the actions of his team, it screams two things to me:

1) You yourself question the action and are seeking to validate by coming here and "proving" all our opinions wrong and convince us to see it your way.

2) Your own board has had enough of you too and you need another board to "hear" your opinions.

Even Tripp said it last night during the broadcast....and I quote, sort of..."You see this is where we need a guy on the Hurricanes bench that could literally go out there and beat the crap out if him (Avery)".

The thing is, we've got players who could go out and beat the crap out of Avery. Walker, Commodore (even with a broken finger), Gleason, Ladd could all beat him up, and even Wallin was willing to go with him (and we know Nic would've taken him down). The reason why we didn't have anyone go after him is because he kept on running away and hiding any time someone wanted to take out the trash. I hope next time we meet, Ladd breaks his orbital bone the way Boogaard did to Fedoruk last seaoson.

The problem with us is that we're afraid to have anyone retaliate to hitting from the Colton Orr's on the team. All our fighters are midweights at the most, able to duke it out with good fighters who AREN'T the heavyweights. I like Craig Adams, but I could stand to see him have his spot in the lineup replaced by someone who can actually fight and intimidate.

i have a question for someone.....one of our guys gained possession and shot the puck at the net when Cullen went down. Does anyone know what happened on that shot?

Stillman shot it, and it was blockered away by Lundqvist.

IF there is going to be suspension, when would we hear about it? Tommorrow?

Nope it should be the day after, i.e. today. They review all game tapes the nite of, and make decisions the next day.

should a player hit another player full knowing that he does not see the hit? absoultely not. but hockey is a fast-paced collision sport in which you must be aware at all times. i strongly believe that orr did not realize that cullen had his head down until the last moment, so he put his arms up to brace himself for the hit, which at the time was un-avoidable.

Do you play? And, if so, have you ever skated into someone and at the last second and realize you both (or one of you) had your heads down? What happens? You both bring your hands up to your chest and turn your head, right? Yes, you do. It's a natural flinch response. What Orr did was put his hands up about 20 feet away to protect himslef because he knew exactly what was about to happen. He had Cullen coming across the middle with his head down handling the puck. There is no doubt he was protecting himself, but he took no action to make sure he didn't "hit another player full knowing that he does not see the hit". Which in your own statement is a "no-no". Please own up to the fact that Orr made a mistake and took advantage of a player with this head down to make a big hit. In the same regard, and to entertain your argument that he didn't know Cullen's head was down, how quickly can you stop on the ice to make sure you don't hit something? For instance the net or the boards or another player? Almost instantly, especially at the level the NHL plays at. Had Orr put on the brakes and made the hit as Cullen skated into him, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He showed no respect to Cullen as a player and hit him with a hit that could have potentially ended his season.

no thats not what i think at all, i'm not even sure how you drew that conclusion. i was just saying that it did not lead to a come from behind victory, because the canes in fact scored first after the incident, giving them a 2-1 lead. also, that incident could have just as easily pumped the canes up to win the game for matt. unfortunately for the canes, they did not take advantage of the ensuing major penalty nor get energized enough to win the game. the hit had a huge impact on the game, obviously, but there are many outcomes that could have come from the hit, benefiting either team or neither

I am just popping in real quick to say I think its awesome that you Rangers fans like our team so much as to post on our board! :lol:

I cant wait till we play those *edited for language* at the RBC center, I hope Matt has a hat trick that night, we really did dodge a huge bullet that it wasnt worse than it was because you could tell from the DROP of the puck they were gunnin for Cully. I would have liked to see Tim Gleason scrap last night Commy and Walks arent really healthy enough to be doing all that even though that means nothing to Scotty. If Matt would have been in the game, he would have takin the face off in our zone that lead to their go ahead goal, not Letowski, I dont know what they hell he was doin throwin that puck infront of the net or if their guy just stole the puck from him or what but he has nooooooo power or strengh guys just push him around like he's not even there. If all these injuries keep happining were gone be left with no choice but having to make a trade. I just hope Matt is alright we defiantly cant lose him, that pass to Walks for the shorty was rediculous!!!

do you know what interference is? it's interfereing with a player that is nowhere near the puck nor touched the puck in the last second or two. when cullen dropped the puck off, there was about half a second between him leaving the puck and the hit, and it was difficult to even tell that cullen dropped the puck off at game speed, as it still somewhat looked like he was trying to maintain possesion.

"but he came from a distance to just hit Cullen, and not make a defensive play."

a body check is used most often to take the puck carrier off of the puck, just as a poke check is. he wasn't trying to make a defensive play? in his own zone? if that was the case, i would want him off the team immediately, but it was in our own zone off the rush on a 2 on 2 i believe. orr could not have gone for the puck and have been successful, so he took the body.

should a player be exempt from being hit because his head is down? no-if that was the case, players would have their head down to be immune from body checks. should a player hit another player full knowing that he does not see the hit? absoultely not. but hockey is a fast-paced collision sport in which you must be aware at all times. i strongly believe that orr did not realize that cullen had his head down until the last moment, so he put his arms up to brace himself for the hit, which at the time was un-avoidable. when i say "brace himself," i don't mean that cullen was going after orr, but orr did not want to take as much/more damage than cullen would take had he not moved his arms, which by the way, made contact at cullen's chest level.

Watch the replay again. Orr could have knocked the puck away if he had any defensive skill, considering all he would have had to do is not hit Cullen in the head. And it wasn't a 2 on 2 it was a 2 on 3 because Orr was there. Where do rags fans learn to count?

no thats not what i think at all, i'm not even sure how you drew that conclusion.

The same way you drew your conclusion by stating that the hit had no effect on the come behind victory for the Rangers. You don't suppose that just maybe the emotion of the injury combined with the fact that the Canes, that already were playing with a shortened bench even before the injury to Cullen, may have had some indirect effect on the outcome of the game and the come from behind victory for the Rangers?

no thats not what i think at all, i'm not even sure how you drew that conclusion.

The same way you drew your conclusion by stating that the hit had no effect on the come behind victory for the Rangers. You don't suppose that just maybe the emotion of the injury combined with the fact that the Canes, that already were playing with a shortened bench even before the injury to Cullen, may have had some indirect effect on the outcome of the game and the come from behind victory for the Rangers?

Watch the replay again. Orr could have knocked the puck away if he had any defensive skill, considering all he would have had to do is not hit Cullen in the head. And it wasn't a 2 on 2 it was a 2 on 3 because Orr was there. Where do rags fans learn to count?

That would be true if he was actually going for the puck and not Cullen. ;)

That would be true if he was actually going for the puck and not Cullen. ;)

do you know what interference is? it's interfereing with a player that is nowhere near the puck nor touched the puck in the last second or two. when cullen dropped the puck off, there was about half a second between him leaving the puck and the hit, and it was difficult to even tell that cullen dropped the puck off at game speed, as it still somewhat looked like he was trying to maintain possesion.

"but he came from a distance to just hit Cullen, and not make a defensive play."

a body check is used most often to take the puck carrier off of the puck, just as a poke check is. he wasn't trying to make a defensive play? in his own zone? if that was the case, i would want him off the team immediately, but it was in our own zone off the rush on a 2 on 2 i believe. orr could not have gone for the puck and have been successful, so he took the body.

should a player be exempt from being hit because his head is down? no-if that was the case, players would have their head down to be immune from body checks. should a player hit another player full knowing that he does not see the hit? absoultely not. but hockey is a fast-paced collision sport in which you must be aware at all times. i strongly believe that orr did not realize that cullen had his head down until the last moment, so he put his arms up to brace himself for the hit, which at the time was un-avoidable. when i say "brace himself," i don't mean that cullen was going after orr, but orr did not want to take as much/more damage than cullen would take had he not moved his arms, which by the way, made contact at cullen's chest level.

There are so many defense attorneys on here. If you really feel that way, why do you keep saying the same thing over and over? Are you trying to convince yourself or us? Hint....your not gaining any ground...the hit was clearly a bad one and Orr intentionally meant to take Cullen out!

I am just popping in real quick to say I think its awesome that you Rangers fans like our team so much as to post on our board! :lol:

originally i was just trying to defend my team from false and absurd accusations, such as "renney sent orr to bertuzzi cullen". but i realized there is no end to the hate the canes fans on this board now have for the rangers. im glad your team hates our team so much from the events of...one game? feel free to come to the rangers board and "discuss" the events of the game, but be ready for a thrashing, cuz thats how the rangers board is

originally i was just trying to defend my team from false and absurd accusations, such as "renney sent orr to bertuzzi cullen". but i realized there is no end to the hate the canes fans on this board now have for the rangers. im glad your team hates our team so much from the events of...one game? feel free to come to the rangers board and "discuss" the events of the game, but be ready for a thrashing, cuz thats how the rangers board is

We thank you for your input, now kindly return to the Ranger's boards!

okay we dont hate the rangers first off...some people might, but most of us dont

we're just ticked off in the plays that happened last night at the rangers games

it was an intentional hit to matt cullen, enough said

and when we play you guys again, just beware.

thats all

If you all can't be civil, you can't discuss this topic. Don't make us need to close this one as well.

I'm sorry, i just get upset when people come onto the Canes boards and have no intention of ever being a Canes fan or discussing Canes hockey.