The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

Its official... NHL does NOT Suspend Orr or Avery

Yep, and maybe someday pigs will fly. And no, that's not all you're going to say about it. I triple dog dare you to leave now.

triple dog dared? i can't back down from that...oops too late

If a Carolina player had done the same thing to a Ranger player the NHL would have thrown the book at him. There is a two tier system in the NHL, one for the franchises that generate the most revenue ie:The Rangers and one for the other teams ie: The Hurricanes. I have lost alot of respect for the NHL today.

I could not agree more!! Two sets of rules in the NHL, teams like the Rangers or Wings have 1 set and everyone else has another.

I could not agree more!! Two sets of rules in the NHL, teams like the Rangers or Wings have 1 set and everyone else has another.

Every team in the league feels the same way about other teams at one time or another . The reffing, and disciplining is so inconsistent that it always seems like one team is favored over another.

(I mean every team's fans, not every team. How would I know how every team feels?)

So, Im just catching up on all this. Is there a link and actual confirmation from the league?

So, Im just catching up on all this. Is there a link and actual confirmation from the league?

The league doesn't actually ever produce a press notice unless action is actually taken

and if it had, it would have happened by now... they never wait multiple days to suspend someone, always the day after

Perhaps it's time for the Canes to Goon up. Cullen's out for at least a week. Bring in a goon or two. Put them on the 4th line, let them kill penalties, let them kill dirty head hunters.

The league doesn't actually ever produce a press notice unless action is actually taken

and if it had, it would have happened by now... they never wait multiple days to suspend someone, always the day after

You know this how?

You know this how?

Perhaps it's time for the Canes to Goon up. Cullen's out for at least a week. Bring in a goon or two. Put them on the 4th line, let them kill penalties, let them kill dirty head hunters.

We need an "energy line" like we had in 2006. That line would come out and just pound the opponent for the 20-30 seconds it was on the ice. That was fun to watch and it didn't allow the other team to really run wild on our players because they could hit them back.

we need to find a way to somehow re-create either that kind of line, or that kind of presence on this team. Whether it is a line or a single player, we need someone who can go out and just hit the other team HARD for the duration of the time he is on the ice.

TSA he's right...league always acts quickly if they're going to act...they just can't wait around and make it look like they're indecisive. Besides, several experts thought the hit was clean, and it was reported that Colin Campbell spoke to a NYR blogger and said no suspensions would come...except a mark against Avery.

We need an "energy line" like we had in 2006. That line would come out and just pound the opponent for the 20-30 seconds it was on the ice. That was fun to watch and it didn't allow the other team to really run wild on our players because they could hit them back.

we need to find a way to somehow re-create either that kind of line, or that kind of presence on this team. Whether it is a line or a single player, we need someone who can go out and just hit the other team HARD for the duration of the time he is on the ice.

just curious, and this is a serious question, but who was on that line, and what happend to them?

i know the rangers 4th line is an energy line (hollweg, betts, and another player whose name i will leave out to avoid hate) that plays well defensively, hits, and draws penalties, and they are a very essential part of the team. an energy line would probably benefit every team

TSA he's right...league always acts quickly if they're going to act...they just can't wait around and make it look like they're indecisive. Besides, several experts thought the hit was clean, and it was reported that Colin Campbell spoke to a NYR blogger and said no suspensions would come...except a mark against Avery.

Thanks for the update then (both of you). I would hope at least a full explanation was given to the team.

Thanks for the update then (both of you). I would hope at least a full explanation was given to the team.

just curious, and this is a serious question, but who was on that line, and what happend to them?

i know the rangers 4th line is an energy line (hollweg, betts, and another player whose name i will leave out to avoid hate) that plays well defensively, hits, and draws penalties, and they are a very essential part of the team. an energy line would probably benefit every team

It was Chad LaRose, Kevyn Adams, and Craig Adams on that line.

Kevyn was traded to Pheonix, and last I heard, he's playing in Chicago now.

Craig Adams has become essentially a no-show when he's on the ice.

LaRose has constantly kept his energy up, and he's starting to score more. Another questionable hit has left him injured for the time being.

"Perhaps it's time for the Canes to Goon up. Cullen's out for at least a week. Bring in a goon or two. Put them on the 4th line, let them kill penalties, let them kill dirty head hunters."

According to tsn.ca Cullen is listed as day to day he does not have a concussion but will under go more neuro testing tomorrow to be sure.

All I ask for is consistency from the league. You mean to tell me that Walker & Adams deserved suspensions this season, but neither of these guys? Unbelievable. The NY sports bias is becoming a big joke. The Rangers, Yankees & Giants get special treatment because their leagues are afraid of the big, bad media capital of the USA.

Guys, get it through your heads, it was a CLEAN hit. No suspensions deserve to be handed out. If Cullen had hit Orr like that, would you think Cullen should get suspended?

Who knows? It's hard for Ranger fans to have our perspective without seeing the things we get suspended for. I think the "hit" was too quick to be definitive for the league (or there is enough gray). I think in the Avery case, the possiblity of one of our players doing likewise and getting a suspension is a possibility.

Guys, get it through your heads, it was a CLEAN hit. No suspensions deserve to be handed out. If Cullen had hit Orr like that, would you think Cullen should get suspended?

If Matt Cullen was a goon, then yes, he would certainly deserve to be suspended. However, we don't have any classless goons on our hockey club, that's not how we play.

Absolutely!

In the "The Hit" thread, I stated my opinion that all hits to the head should receive penalties regardless of intent or injury. All should also be looked at for suspensions, as well. Like I said in that thread, we all as fans of hockey should put the well being of the players above the loyalties of the colors we wear.

If the table were turned, and it was Cullen who had hit Orr the same way, I'd say Cullen would get what he deserved for throwing a dangerous hit like that. I'd be upset, but with Cullen, not at Rangers fans or anyone else for the suspension.

Just like when Walker got suspended earlier this season for his head bunt during a fight. At first I was upset during the game before I knew that there was actually a head bunt in there when he was tossed and given the major. But after seeing the replay, I said he got what he deserved. When news of the suspension came out I said he was lucky to only get one game for it.

In fact, I could see if Avery got a suspension that Ladd might also get one, too. Albeit, I don't think they'd deserve equal length ones. Not because of Canes bias, but because of what Avery did to Letowski in front of the goal before the Ladd incident, and also taking into account prior records. Though if they got the same I wouldn't be whining about it.

The rules of this game are major fubar'd when a player can get a hooking penalty when their stick goes horizontal for a split second without any sort of impeding the player, but so many body hits to the head of a player are considered "clean hits". And I'm not saying hockey isn't and/or shouldn't be physical. What I'm saying is that there needs to be rules to protect the players, and one of the obvious ones is hits to the head. I don't care which team did it, it should apply the same to all.

The closest thing the Rangers have to a goon is Hollweg, and he's not even a good goon cuz he's a lousy fighter.

Regarding some of the comments about fighting and breaking orbital bones . . . it has happened before. If memory serves, Lindros broke Joe Thornton's orbital bone in a fight (and no refs were involved). Poor Joe. That was a pretty hefty punch he took.