The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

Its official... NHL does NOT Suspend Orr or Avery

Someone on this team needs to be willing to risk a couple game suspension to send a message. to me that is what the hit on Cullen was. Sure it sucked from our perspective as Hurricanes fans...but what if it were Ladd laying someone on the other team out in the middle of the ice?

If a Carolina player had done the same thing to a Ranger player the NHL would have thrown the book at him. There is a two tier system in the NHL, one for the franchises that generate the most revenue ie:The Rangers and one for the other teams ie: The Hurricanes. I have lost alot of respect for the NHL today.

I agree. It just seems that for some reason they think the rangers are all high and mighty and can not be touched..... what a joke! :rolleyes:

This is just disgusting, the Orr hit might have been questionable and could have gone either way but Avery looked like a no brainer. Ladd was being held by the ref's and he kept wailing, how much clearer does that have to be.

It was Chad LaRose, Kevyn Adams, and Craig Adams on that line.

Kevyn was traded to Pheonix, and last I heard, he's playing in Chicago now.

Craig Adams has become essentially a no-show when he's on the ice.

LaRose has constantly kept his energy up, and he's starting to score more. Another questionable hit has left him injured for the time being.

Being as I'm originally from Chi-town and have been following the Hawks this year (ding-dong the wicked old witch at last is dead!!!), Kevyn Adams suffered a knee injury is is out for the season. He's still actiive in the community and signing autographs, making appearances, etc. Stand up guy, even if it's only on one leg....ha. Media reports have him as helping out the younger guys. Sounds like Kevyn.

I would definitely have trouble respecting the Canes organization if they stooped so low to get an equivalent of Avery or Chris Neil. I don't mind getting an enforcer, but I wouldn't want one of these cheap shot artists.

I also believe that Scott Stevens falls in the same category. His hits were cheap, and it was obvious they were intended to injure, whether he was penalized, or not.

I for one, don't want the "old NHL" back.

In the "The Hit" thread, I stated my opinion that all hits to the head should receive penalties regardless of intent or injury. All should also be looked at for suspensions, as well. Like I said in that thread, we all as fans of hockey should put the well being of the players above the loyalties of the colors we wear.

I love a good hit as much as the next guy. This has nothing to do with which team you pull for. Pirate Caniac hit the nail right on the "head" so to speak.

Even in the NFL, they penalize all hits to the head dispassionately regardless of intent to injure, called "Unnecessary Roughness". Why? To protect the players, period.

I think what people are mad about here is that the NHL still places a judgement call on the intent to injure portion here, where in reality head shots of any type should be banned, period.

Scott Stevens is revered for his play, and he still sickens me. 99% of what he did was incredible, and I appreciate ever bit of it. But go look on youtube if you like for the other 1%. This crap about "he had his head down" has always made me mad. If someone has the puck, it is legal to lower your shoulder, skate 30mph into him going 30 mph the other way and violently hit him shoulder to face. There is no way this should be legal, and called a "clean hit". Anything above the shoulders should be off limits, it's just too dangerous. We want to watch these guys on the ice, not spend all out time reading medical reports and jousting about this crap out on the forums.

Stevens is in the HOF. While standing right next to the guy he hit so hard in the head, he could not remember who he was for a month. We're lucky he ever played again. As long as the league celebrates that crap, we'll have these situations that have everyone in an uproar.

And yes, if Cullen did it to Orr, I would say the same thing. And I agree with the suspensions to Walker and Adams. Those incidents don't belong in the game either.

This crap about "he had his head down" has always made me mad. If someone has the puck, it is legal to lower your shoulder, skate 30mph into him going 30 mph the other way and violently hit him shoulder to face. There is no way this should be legal, and called a "clean hit". Anything above the shoulders should be off limits, it's just too dangerous. We want to watch these guys on the ice, not spend all out time reading medical reports and jousting about this crap out on the forums.

I completely agree, especially with the "his head was down" excuse. So what? You're intentionally going high to knock the player out of the game, and its only WORSE if you do it when he doesn't see it coming.

There is a reason the NFL seriously cracks down on hits to the head and there's a reason they immediately suspend players who do. Also, there is a reason they heavily crack down on hitting WRs that are coming across the middle defenseless. The NHL needs to wake up and bring itself into the 21st century. Players are getting intentionally concussed and knocked out of the game. It needs to stop. The league needs to protect its players, not its goons.

Someone on this team needs to be willing to risk a couple game suspension to send a message. to me that is what the hit on Cullen was. Sure it sucked from our perspective as Hurricanes fans...but what if it were Ladd laying someone on the other team out in the middle of the ice?

to be quite honest we probably would be wondering why he didnt get suspended. why do I say that? because most of us agreed with the suspensions handed down to Walker and Adams. I have not once said I disagreed with either of those. What I HAVE said though is that I disagree with them getting hose suspensions and Avery/Orr not getting a suspension whatsoever. It is just pure bias. Now you rags fans can go say how is it bias when the league office is in Canada (ive been waiting for that one) but no, you see, NY is NY and teams there do get away with everything. Thats just sports politics. And it's why the Rags got Avery. They knew he could do whatever and everyone in the league would turn their heads.

The NHL league office is so wishy/washy with the way they deal with players and penalties/suspensions its ridiculous!!!If they use instant replay for goals they sure can use it to look at certain hits and penalties...Jusy my worthless 2 cents!!!Bettman is bad for hockey,,always has been and always will be!!!

I would definitely have trouble respecting the Canes organization if they stooped so low to get an equivalent of Avery or Chris Neil. I don't mind getting an enforcer, but I wouldn't want one of these cheap shot artists.

I also believe that Scott Stevens falls in the same category. His hits were cheap, and it was obvious they were intended to injure, whether he was penalized, or not.

I for one, don't want the "old NHL" back.

I don't want the "old NHL" back either, but unfortunetly for us, it appears headed to that direction. They did a great job with keeping the clutching and grabbing out of the game in 2005-06, but last year they gradually started letting it back into the game. This year, it seems the clutching/grabbing is now part of the game.

I never liked the idea of keeping a player who can actually play the game out of the line up to dress a goon. But I'm also sick of seeing other teams take cheapshots at our stars and top players. One of these times a guy is going to get really injured.

With the way the game is being played now, I am in full agreement that we need an enforcer on this team otherwise this team is going to get beat up on time and time again.

Lots of the non-toughness came from the fact that Lavi kept the guys from fighting the cup season, and it carried over to the next season. But we acquired Walker to start to make up for that lack of toughness (among other things). It didnt 100% change anything, but we felt like we were a tougher team. Now we see even Walks isnt enough.

Lots of the non-toughness came from the fact that Lavi kept the guys from fighting the cup season, and it carried over to the next season. But we acquired Walker to start to make up for that lack of toughness (among other things). It didnt 100% change anything, but we felt like we were a tougher team. Now we see even Walks isnt enough.

Your right walker was brought in to add that toughness... can we clone him?

haha well at this point, although he is one of my fav players on the team, if not my fav, i think he needs to be a little more physical. ok, of course, I am not trying to be a critic of his play, he has well deserved to be on the first line, but then again, that may be the reason he hasnt been so tough lately: the 1st isnt a tough line. but yeah lets clone him and put another one on the 3rd line lol

The thing with Walker is that he's gritty and a very good fighter... he's just pretty small. There's no way I'd put Walker out there against a true heavyweight.

TSA he's right...league always acts quickly if they're going to act...they just can't wait around and make it look like they're indecisive. Besides, several experts thought the hit was clean, and it was reported that Colin Campbell spoke to a NYR blogger and said no suspensions would come...except a mark against Avery.

In the interest of accuracy, the League has until the day of the offender's team's next game to hand down a decision, and they often use that time to avoid looking like the decision was made hastily. In the case of Downey and I believe Boulerice as well, Campbell waited a couple of days.

In the interest of accuracy, the League has until the day of the offender's team's next game to hand down a decision, and they often use that time to avoid looking like the decision was made hastily. In the case of Downey and I believe Boulerice as well, Campbell waited a couple of days.

He had to have them in for interviews, also. Where both of the above instances match penalties? If so, that calls for instant suspension pending review from the league, which is generally done prior to next game if at all possible. I don't think Orr's penalty was a match penalty, just a major.

This crap about "he had his head down" has always made me mad. If someone has the puck, it is legal to lower your shoulder, skate 30mph into him going 30 mph the other way and violently hit him shoulder to face. There is no way this should be legal, and called a "clean hit". Anything above the shoulders should be off limits, it's just too dangerous. We want to watch these guys on the ice, not spend all out time reading medical reports and jousting about this crap out on the forums.

As long as the NHL is run by people who love the basic premise of the game, the hit you describe will always be a clean hit, and that's the way it should be. "Heads up" is drilled into hockey players the same way "Keep your eye on the ball" is the mantra for baseball players. The universal belief among players, coaches, and league administrators at EVERY level of the game is that if you have your head down WHILE CARRYING THE PUCK -- unless you're playing in a no-check league -- you deserve whatever you get.

The ONLY thing that makes this hit *a little* questionable is that Cullen did not have CONTROL of the puck. EVERYBODY has their head down when trying to locate a puck at their feet, but I'm not sure you can stop late hits like this one, since a split-second earlier Cullen was carrying the biscuit.

The bigger concern for me are clearly late hits -- when the player had ample opportunity to pull up and didn't -- or hits away from the puck completely (like Downey's), and for those cases I think an appropriate rule is warranted. "Interference" doesn't cut it b/c in such cases there is a clear departure from playing hockey and often the intent to injure.

So, having a penalty like "Late Hit" (the official signal would be the Ref looking at his wristwatch and tapping his foot, then punching one hand into the other :lol::lol::lol: ) or "Headhunting" (the Ref drags his forefinger across his neck :P:P:P ) might be reasonable steps to ensure that players try pull up when they clearly have time and to make clear that Downeys will not be tolerated.

Unfortunately for Matt, this was just a player finishing a hit. Cullen's head went down a split-second before the contact. I'm not sure a rule can (or should) be written to prevent such incidents; they're just a part of the game which both players skate away from 98% of the time.

Avery's antics, on the other hand, deserve at least a one-game suspension.

Or how about a mix of Walker and Commie DNA if we're going to clone?

Walker is great, but we need some size to go with it, too. That's one of our problems is that much of our team is smaller and faster players, and the ones that do have some size don't tend to be the more physical players (except for Commodore).

Absolutely sickening and disturbing, especially after some of the other suspensions they have given out over the past couple months.

I have completely lost faith in this league. They cannot handle their own and they are completely backwards in their thinking. They protect the goons and allow the stars to get run, injured, and concussed. Its a disgrace, IMHO

Avery should be suspended Orr no Keep you head up Matt.

I said this before and I'll say it again, it's unfair to compare Scott Stevens with someone like Orr or any of the other cheap-shot artists in the league right now. Stevens wasn't a cheap-shot artist; he went in with his shoulder and you either knew he was coming or didn't...that was the difference in having a concussion or not. I really can't believe some of you on here are devaluing his career by comparing him to the current goons.

You said it people on this board need to growup this is the NHL not JR A hockey!

Here is a solution. Next time that we play Florida, Ladd should lay out Colin Campbell's son with a fierce but clean hit. As he skates away, he can say "That's for you daddy!"

Here is a solution. Next time that we play Florida, Ladd should lay out Colin Campbell's son with a fierce but clean hit. As he skates away, he can say "That's for you daddy!"

This is the best idea I've seen on this board in a long time. :lol: