The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

Its official... NHL does NOT Suspend Orr or Avery

I'm not saying the NFL is any better or worse but I believe last season in the game against Dallas, Steve Smith was ejected for merely touching an official. And seeing how Avery was throwing hay makers right through 3 of em, it just doesn't make sense...maybe it's just me.

As long as the NHL is run by people who love the basic premise of the game, the hit you describe will always be a clean hit, and that's the way it should be. "Heads up" is drilled into hockey players the same way "Keep your eye on the ball" is the mantra for baseball players. The universal belief among players, coaches, and league administrators at EVERY level of the game is that if you have your head down WHILE CARRYING THE PUCK -- unless you're playing in a no-check league -- you deserve whatever you get.

TS, I understand your point. As I said before, I know that by current rules it is a clean hit. I know that the purists of the game don't think it should change, but the arguments to try and make this hit not a "clean hit" have been fought out in other sports too. It's quite a penalty for someone at any level of the game to lose brain cells as the cost for momentarily looking down for the puck. I just think it is way beyond the time to get rid of this part of the game (head hits). I respect those who think otherwise, but for the livelyhood of all involved, I think it only makes sense to try and protect players in the newer faster, bigger NHL .

For the purists, I respect your opinion. I love the game too. I just don't relish those moments when someone is sprawled out on the ice unconscious. It's unnecessary.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this, so I don't know if this topic has been touched on. How about the 2 game suspension given to Craig Adams for the 2 minute high stick against Alex Steen of the Leafs, and I'm not sure if it was the same night or within a couple of days that Saku Koivu 2 hands his stick across Josef Stumpel's helmet (read head)AT THE END OF THE GAME, in which Koivu received 15 minutes worth of penalties AT THE END OF THE GAME but no suspension. Could it be because Koivu is a hugh profile player and Adams is a fouth liner?????

Who cares, we need to get over all of this and start playing games...

Time to quit all this whining, it's over.

It is over when people feel like they no longer need to gripe about it. If that is not you, then move on to another topic. Jeez.

I'd say Avery is an agitator..similar to Williams. The kind of player who likes to talk a lot and get under the other players skin.

Justin Williams : 36GP, 9 Goals, 21 Assists for 30 points. PIM 43.... .833 PointsPerGame and

Sean Avery: 16GP, 2 Goals, 7 Assists for 9 points. ...... PIM 56 w/ .5625 PointsPerGame over a much shorter period.

William's Season High is 76 Points (31 Goals and 45 Assists) PIM: 60 in 82 games... .927 PPG

Avery's is 39 Points (15 Goals and 24 Assists) PIM 257 in 75 Games... .52 PPG

Avery seems to rack up a good number of penalty minutes and really nothing else....

I don't understand how an obviously talented player like Justin Williams... can be so easily compared to a bottom feeding sack of excrement like Sean Avery...

Wow! Thanks for the update from the Rangers Blog. It was nice of you to take the time to come and post it on our board.

See you on the 29th, you coming down from CT?

What on earth are you talking about?

I thought the update would interest some here. Sorry if it offended you.

Ok, yes, you can call me a troll if you like, and I'm really not here to stir anything up, but I've been reading this site for days, ever since the hit and am quite amazed at how differently everyone has seen what happened in the game between our two teams.

So I'm gonna finally add my two cents.

The hit was clean - was it necessary - probably not - I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but to say it was dirty, head hunting an elbow or a forearm to the head is just ridiculous to say the least. His arms are clearly at chest level at the point of impact and the impact was their two heads coming together, then his arms come up.

To say Coloton Orrs face was bloodied as a result of the fight is also ridiculous, I don't think your player even landed a punch.

In fact, Orr showed respect to Commrie by not pounding him while he was down - Commrie in no way won that fight.

Now, on to Avery and all the whining about him, I had no problem with him getting a game misconduct for his actions, however all the pissing and moaning about him hitting Ladd when he was tied up is also overblown. Avery was the one tied up when Ladd kept coming at him and Avery reached over the ref and hit him - is it wrong, yes, should he be suspended?

No, not until he reaches his third game misconduct, which is what the rules are.

As for one final word on this hit, the league has rescinded the major and the game misconduct to Orr, which clearly shows it was a clean hit, albeit the result was not good for Cullen.

I for one wish Cullen a speedy recovery but people get over it, it wasn't the bloody murder you are all trying to make it out to be.

Now, on to Avery and all the whining about him, I had no problem with him getting a game misconduct for his actions, however all the pissing and moaning about him hitting Ladd when he was tied up is also overblown. Avery was the one tied up when Ladd kept coming at him and Avery reached over the ref and hit him - is it wrong, yes, should he be suspended?

No, not until he reaches his third game misconduct, which is what the rules are.

i do believe the rules also state that any late punches thrown, in this case 3, is an automatic one game suspension. that's what Scottie Walker got his suspension for as well as the head butt

I've felt, from the first time I watched it live, that the Orr hit was within the NHL rules. I think the reason we are upset about the outcome, is because of the opportunities our players had previously given up to have big clean hits on NY's stars. If you watch the game again, there were several instances where Cole and Ladd had chances to completely level Jagr or Gomez and the opportunities where for clean hits. The pace of the game did not seem to warrant such hits and, because of this, they were passed up.

This was the general feel of the game until Orr sees Cullen cut back laterally after crossing the blue line and seized the chance to crush him, legally. Orr has played 37 games and only has 1 point for a -11. Numbers like that don't keep you in the NHL for very long, even on the fourth line. He's had few goals in past season's but his worst +/- is only a -2. Obviously leveling Matt Cullen is a chance to make his presence felt.

Ok, yes, you can call me a troll if you like, and I'm really not here to stir anything up, but I've been reading this site for days, ever since the hit and am quite amazed at how differently everyone has seen what happened in the game between our two teams.

The hit was clean - was it necessary - probably not - I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but to say it was dirty, head hunting an elbow or a forearm to the head is just ridiculous to say the least. His arms are clearly at chest level at the point of impact and the impact was their two heads coming together, then his arms come up.

To say Coloton Orrs face was bloodied as a result of the fight is also ridiculous, I don't think your player even landed a punch.

In fact, Orr showed respect to Commrie by not pounding him while he was down - Commrie in no way won that fight.

As for one final word on this hit, the league has rescinded the major and the game misconduct to Orr, which clearly shows it was a clean hit, albeit the result was not good for Cullen.

I for one wish Cullen a speedy recovery but people get over it, it wasn't the bloody murder you are all trying to make it out to be.

why are you here????? its done....its over! thanks for your 2 cents now add 39 cents to buy a stamp , so you can lick it, stamp it and mail it to somebody who gives a crap! quit stirring the friggin' pot with this mess! im cool with the hit....im with you on what you are saying.....matty is our guy. its gonna piss off some people. as for the avery situation....even before the incident with ladd...i hated him just about the same amount. i personally think he is sub-human and deserves to have his teeth knocked in but, i would also like you to know i have felt this way even when he was playing for the kings...it has NOTHING to do with the rangers! point is...you beat us that night....congrats....cant wait till the 29th and im REALLY looking foward to seeing avery! MORE THAN YOU KNOW!

I have held my tongue with the trolls long enough. First of all, I didn't know we had a Commrie playing for the Canes, IT'S COMMIE. Secondly. No, he didn't win, I will agree there, but the only view we had was of Matty on the ice, so we don't know what shots Commie delivered to bloody Orr. So if we choose to believe the Commie bloodied Orr, then so be it. At the end, yes, Commie went down to his knees with his back turned to Orr, which is common courtesy in the NHL not to throw at a man down on the ice. Which is why most of the guys tie up as they go down. The only idiot that never tied up as he went down was Craptuzzi on Moore. Additionally, if you knew anything. Commie is just coming back from a broken finger so so him to drop them anyway to stand up for Matty, I give him the win just for dropping them while still having a busted hand. So, put that one in your pipe and smoke it. Sorry mods, tired of the vitriol from the rags trolls.

K~

I have held my tongue with the trolls long enough. First of all, I didn't know we had a Commrie playing for the Canes, IT'S COMMIE. Secondly. No, he didn't win, I will agree there, but the only view we had was of Matty on the ice, so we don't know what shots Commie delivered to bloody Orr. So if we choose to believe the Commie bloodied Orr, then so be it. At the end, yes, Commie went down to his knees with his back turned to Orr, which is common courtesy in the NHL not to throw at a man down on the ice. Which is why most of the guys tie up as they go down. The only idiot that never tied up as he went down was Craptuzzi on Moore. Additionally, if you knew anything. Commie is just coming back from a broken finger so so him to drop them anyway to stand up for Matty, I give him the win just for dropping them while still having a busted hand. So, put that one in your pipe and smoke it. Sorry mods, tired of the vitriol from the rags trolls.

K~

You have to apologize for saying put that in your pipe? Wow, and I thought the mods on the Rangers board were tough!

You guys are welcome to come over to our board any time and "troll" if you like - it makes for a more interesting board in my opinion.

I really didn't come to piss anyone off - you guys have to remember - that's what boards are for, expressing opinions.

I saw a post on the Rangers board that said check out this one so I did, and had to reply.

Again, my best wishes to Cullen for a speedy recovery, he's a stand up player, I was sad to see him leave the Rangers as I was to see the Whalers leave Connecticut.

Good luck the rest of the way guys - see you on the 29th.

(and what's up with the guy a few posts back with the "more than you know comment" - he sounds like he may be in the stands with a sniper rifle or something - kind of scary)

You have to apologize for saying put that in your pipe? Wow, and I thought the mods on the Rangers board were tough!

You guys are welcome to come over to our board any time and "troll" if you like - it makes for a more interesting board in my opinion.

I really didn't come to piss anyone off - you guys have to remember - that's what boards are for, expressing opinions.

I saw a post on the Rangers board that said check out this one so I did, and had to reply.

Again, my best wishes to Cullen for a speedy recovery, he's a stand up player, I was sad to see him leave the Rangers as I was to see the Whalers leave Connecticut.

(and what's up with the guy a few posts back with the "more than you know comment" - he sounds like he may be in the stands with a sniper rifle or something - kind of scary)

hahahahahahaha only at sayburr games...its just a pellet gun.

Rich, you see, I have more class than to go to another teams board and taunt an injury to another teams star player....it's called KARMA. So, enjoy it now while you can...it will eventually be revisited upon you and your Rags brethren.

As far as our mods, they may be tough, but they keep these boards clean and family friendly. I would like to stay without warnings for responding to trolls. I respect the mods for what they do, they have to deal with people worse than you coming in here, trolling our boards and saying crap about our team. We do our best not to respond, but there are times when I sit here and read all the manure that is posted by people that I can no longer bite my tongue.

I just hope Brookbank is still around when the Rags come calling, I hope he levels Avery and Orr and shows them how to lay a clean hit and Avery how to drop em like a MAN!!!

Ya know, I checked out the Rags board, and wow it looks like crap. ok, yes I am resorting to talking crap about their board, but it is no wonder they come here: our board is nice, well kept, and clean. theirs? looks like a board from the late 90s lol.

ok, i know, no reason to talk like that. but the mods arent doing anything about these trolling rags fans and all their crap talking, so, no reason we (or myself in this case) talk some crap about them.

ok, i know, no reason to talk like that. but the mods arent doing anything about these trolling rags fans and all their crap talking, so, no reason we (or myself in this case) talk some crap about them.

Maybe if you guys stopped responding to these posts we'd be able to deal with it the way we'd like to. Every time you guys respond, you add to the problem and become just as guilty. Its exactly what they're looking for when they come here to stir things up.