The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

JR has been trying to do something else.

He just didn't have an opportunity yet... he has been looking for that D-man, but then we got plagued by injuries.

Aaron Ward is rumored to be available from Boston. It was on Eklund's site, but it makes some sense with Hnidy coming over yesterday.

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. Of these demotions it'll be interesting to see if Grahame clears, as there are a few teams rumoured to be in need of an experienced netminder.

There is a long-shot chance that someone picks him up but the situation would have to be unique or the contract just too attractive to pass up on re-entry waivers for a team ravaged by injuries.

As I mentioned after the Panthers game when he refused to take responsibility for his bad goals that cost the game, he was all but out the door here. He came in with baggage and never did anything here to shed it on the ice. When you also run your mouth and don't back it up, as he did against Buffalo, and then give yourself a pass while tacitly calling out your teammates, you are all but done. I still maintain too that he will be overseas next year, not in the NHL.

I'm not great fan of Leighton's, based on how I've seen him play in the NHL previously but a goalie shake-up, even if it's the back-up, can send a loud, resounding message throughout the room. Hopefully, anyway.

I agree, frog999. Getting rid of the back up goalie is like puting a band-aid on a decaputatuon victim.

I agree with you guys. I'm sure JR wants something done on defense, but he probably isn't getting the right deal now. He knows he has to do something and right now the easiest thing is to put Grahame on waivers and give Leighton a chance. Leighton is not going to be our saving grace, but sometimes something like this can wake a team up for a few games until you can make that big move.

Aaron Ward is rumored to be available from Boston. It was on Eklund's site, but it makes some sense with Hnidy coming over yesterday.
Ward's got a broken foot, he'd make a nice addition to our MASH unit. ;)

I'd take Ward back, but his salary is way too high. He makes 2.75 mil, so roughly 1.4 for the rest of this season. PLus how many more years does he have on his current contract at the 2.75???

From Lord Stanley Blog...

Grahame on waivers, Leighton gets call

The long-awaited goaltending shake-up is here. The Canes have placed John Grahame on waivers and will recall Michael Leighton from Albany (AHL) later today.

Leighton has been, arguably, the best goalie in the AHL this season, while Grahame has allowed 33 goals in his past seven starts.

"Leighton has played pretty well and deserves the opportunity," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "We have to, in the second half, get to a level of more consistency in goal so he's going to get his chance."

etc...

So, does this mean that Grahame is gone or can they recall him if needed?

Best move JR could make. Wonder what Lavi is thinking now?

I'd take Ward back, but his salary is way too high. He makes 2.75 mil, so roughly 1.4 for the rest of this season. PLus how many more years does he have on his current contract at the 2.75???

This is the last year on his contract, he becomes a FA July 1st.

One of my cousins in Philly heard that flyers are looking to snag a defenseman and A. Ward's name came up. So of course he called to ask me about him. I told him he's horrible and they don't want him cause he sucks ;) That's all they need another physical bruiser on their team, we need that.

So our goalie tandem is going to be two guys that fought eachother in the AHL.

I wonder if they remember... But I guess they did meet in the preseason so any tension should be gone...

1/3 Michael Leighton NA (Car - G) Add from Free Agents to Lightning Bug

1/3 John Grahame (Car - G) Drop to Waivers by Lightning Bug

My fantasy team is now updated!!!! :lol:

(In case you were wondering why i had crackers in the first place, i'm in a 20 player league and I already have Ward on my team and having crackers locked up the minimum goalie starts for the week)

Aaron Ward:

Does anyone know how much longer he will be out with his foot injury? If he was healthy he would add the physical presence we would need along with the heart and desire. Sure he gets out of position sometimes to take the body, but you can bet no one skating in front of him to dig out a puck WON'T be looking over their shoulder.

Nolan: I said this awhile back, I think his move up last week was to try him to confirm he could replace a traded forward. I still have a hunch you might just see that. It will not surprise me at all to see us end the year with Nolan, Leighton, and Borer on the big team roster.

As for Goal Keeping: Leighton was the right move. Perhaps best AHL goalie with a little NHL experience replacing worst GAA of all current NHL goalies. How in the world is this NOT the right move? If any GM in the NHL knows goalie talent it's JR. Remember it was Lav who wanted Grahame here in the first place.

Lets just hope Barraso works with Michael as puck handling and allowing himself to get too far laterally out of net are his few week points.

1/3 Michael Leighton NA (Car - G) Add from Free Agents to Lightning Bug

1/3 John Grahame (Car - G) Drop to Waivers by Lightning Bug

My fantasy team is now updated!!!! :lol:

(In case you were wondering why i had crackers in the first place, i'm in a 20 player league and I already have Ward on my team and having crackers locked up the minimum goalie starts for the week)

Are we in the same league? I am on the one started here.

To question whether or not putting Grahame on waivers was a good move on JR's part is beside the point with the way I see it. This team needs a shakeup - a wake up call - and this move, while it won't solve our problems, will reverberate through the locker room - coaches included. I hope Leighton can have some success but at the same time, I hope this is only the first domino to fall. We need changes and I don't think anything or anyone as "off limits."

Are we in the same league? I am on the one started here.

Are we? I'm in this league: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/52025''>http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/52025' target="_blank">http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/52025[/post]

I'm getting killed this week because my team is still playing like they're on Christmas break haha

This team needs a shakeup - a wake up call - and this move, while it won't solve our problems, will reverberate through the locker room - coaches included. I hope Leighton can have some success but at the same time, I hope this is only the first domino to fall. We need changes and I don't think anything or anyone as "off limits."

No doubt about the ripple effect but there is a very important undercurrent here that shouldn't be overlooked.

Grahame wasn't a hot commodity at all before being signed to a UFA contract by the Canes and they went after him in large part b/c of his past success with Lavi in winning the Calder Cup. Lavi was very loyal, IMO too much so, to Grahame and gave him chance after chance. Other guys have gotten the loyalty treatment too from Lavi and this is a signal that a new day has dawned.

If Grahame, who he had the longest ties to of anyone on the roster, can be cut loose everyone had better step it up. It seems odd on the surface since we are talking about a back-up goalie but when you peel back the layers there is an unmistakable message.