The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

This cannot be anything but a good move. Grahme has been nothing short of pathetic. He is way too fragile. Once he gets scored on, he goes to pieces. As to how far this move will go to make the Canes a better team is anybody's guess.

This will shake up the team!

Its needed right now,

this is one of the worst defensive teams I can remember

they are dead last in GAA now

not all is on the goalies but some has to be. Gotta stop the softies

from Ward as well. He has played worse as the year has gone on

I hope this team wakes up soon.

I'm hoping this move also lights a fire under Cam with him maybe seeing Michael as more of a threat. Even if it doesn't work out, at least Michael is costing us a lot less and JR took a chance.

Really, I think this is even more signs pointing to Lavi's job being in question if the Canes miss the playoffs again.

Lavi doesn't want the guys fighting. JR calls up Brookbank to be an enforcer because the guys are getting the crap kicked out of them and injuries are piling up. Again.

Now Grahame, who was here because of his ties to Lavi, gets the boot.

Seems like the one getting the most notice is Lavi, that the status quo isn't acceptable and things need to change. He doesn't look to have such free reign over running things now, and his policies are being overruled. It may end up that if Lavi won't change things, they'll get someone else who will.

Wow.

Chalk me up as someone who thought this would never happen.

Same here, I am very surprised that this happened, but excited to see Leighton play. I figured it would be at the end of the year we got rid of him.

As a fan of the team I am a little sad that one of our players has to go through this, but a shake up was needed.

I hope this doesn't really shake up the locker room, Grahame was pretty popular from what I've heard, but I think it will be best for the team.

Ok. so ive read through all these posts. I havent seen Leighton play, what is so good about him that everyone sees? Please dont say its because hes not Johnny-G, thats a lame excuse. For the rumor of getting Aaron Ward.. lets not move backwards by regaining a former player, lets move foward by gaining a new or different player. Aaron did good while he was here.

yea it is tough for any player to go through this cause it feels like they didn't fulfill their contract to the team and underperformed.

But a lot of this happens cause of the salary cap. Recchi, a player with 500 goals got put on waivers, Andreychuk with 600+ goals, put on waivers. It happens unfortunately. It is a constant part of the game these days. every other day someone is put on waivers.

Ok. so ive read through all these posts. I havent seen Leighton play, what is so good about him that everyone sees? Please dont say its because hes not Johnny-G, thats a lame excuse. For the rumor of getting Aaron Ward.. lets not move backwards by regaining a former player, lets move foward by gaining a new or different player. Aaron did good while he was here.

Well, Leighton did pretty well in the pre-season, plus he's been the, bar-none, best goaltender in the AHL this year.

I've not seen him play either, but he's been great with the Rats.

"For the rumor of getting Aaron Ward" Doesn't he have a broken foot??? I am pretty sure I read that recently so why would we want him back if he is injured. We do need to do something with our defense we seem to have nothing left.

I cant' believe that they put Grahame on waivers? I didn't see anything about it on the canes site. I think that Leighton would be a better back up for cam than grahame. Sucks to see Grahame go but Leighton would be better. He did pretty good in pre-season.

I think everyone is just giddy because something finally happened.

Leighton is not going to be the saving grace nor is he the answer to our problems. This move does 2 things:

1-he doesn't make our goaltending any worse than it already is

2-it makes alittle rumble in the locker room.

JR probably hasn't seen a deal he likes for a defenseman, but he knows a change was needed. This was the easiest change to do right now. Sometimes a small move can be a band aid until you are able to make that bigger move.

From lukes blog, Nolan and Aucoin called up.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

The wounded...

Just for the record, in case you were having trouble keeping track, here's Carolina's current (unofficial) injury report, with Andrew Ladd and Scott Walker the latest to join the list.

Defenseman Casey Borer made his NHL debut on defense Wednesday and Keith Aucoin and Brandon Nolan are on their way back from Albany (AHL) today.

Matt Cullen, concussion (out indefinitely)

Bret Hedican, knee (7-10 days)

Andrew Ladd, facial surgery (day-to-day)

David Tanabe, concussion (indefinite)

Scott Walker, knee (7-10 days)

Niclas Wallin, groin (7-10 days)

Justin Williams, knee (4-6 months

actually with a lot of back to back games in the schedule this was an imperative. Leighton out played Grahame in training camp, hopefully he will build on that.

When you first see him, he seems like a big goalie but he has good quickness as well. Sometimes he will slide out of the crease when he stacks the pads on a shot coming from the side but if he can tighten that up he should give us a boost as he will definitly be playing with the schedule ahead.

Ok. so ive read through all these posts. I havent seen Leighton play, what is so good about him that everyone sees? Please dont say its because hes not Johnny-G, thats a lame excuse.

To be honest with you I think many of his proponents only saw him during a relief appearance against a Caps teams of mostly rookies and a decent start against them with a more complete roster. He has been outstanding in Albany this year but that's a quantum leap often for goalies to move up to the NHL.

At the NHL level he has struggle with consistency which is why he has bounced around and been waived so many times. He is pretty good laterally with good athleticism, flashing the pads quickly. Like many goalies though he has holes up high even with his size. That sounds like Grahame so far but overall he has good technique, unlike Grahame, but hasn't been able to string together solid appearances.

He could come in and be the beneficiary of the rest of team rallying around him or he can be more of the same. He is no savior but his value may be more so for the statement the move represents than his play on the ice.

To be honest with you I think many of his proponents only saw him during a relief appearance against a Caps teams of mostly rookies and a decent start against them with a more complete roster. He has been outstanding in Albany this year but that's a quantum leap often for goalies to move up to the NHL.

At the NHL level he has struggle with consistency which is why he has bounced around and been waived so many times. He is pretty good laterally with good athleticism, flashing the pads quickly. Like many goalies though he has holes up high even with his size. That sounds like Grahame so far but overall he has good technique, unlike Grahame, but hasn't been able to string together solid appearances.

He could come in and be the beneficiary of the rest of team rallying around him or he can be more of the same. He is no savior but his value may be more so for the statement the move represents than his play on the ice.

I figure he can spell Ward when he needs it. It's time for Ward to concentrate on being #1. As far as Leighton goes, Barrasso has been working with him so we'll see what he can do.

I figure he can spell Ward when he needs it. It's time for Ward to concentrate on being #1. As far as Leighton goes, Barrasso has been working with him so we'll see what he can do.

Barrasso had also been working with Grahame and Cam.

...Oh God, someone get Barrasso away from Leighton! :lol:

I know Ek tends to post a lot of bull but when posts something like this where someone has been placed on waivers and not just a rumor that they will be, that's different.

I would like to see the waiver wire too though.

The only thing I have seen is a

"BLOG" on N&O. Nothing on the Canes web page, ESPN, TSN or any other sports news. This is kinda weird to me so until JR confirms it and it is posted of another sports page it's just a rumor that may come true.

Carolina needs to look at the whole picture. It's not one persons fault that we haven't been winning. It takes a TEAM to WIN and a TEAM to LOOSE. The last couple of games the team has played alot better with no help from the refs so on that note I disagree with this discission if it does happen. Our team has alot of starters out hurt which effects so many areas of the game. Carolina has a strong team with alot of heart, and that heart showed last night against Atlanta. Yes Atlanta won on a PP that was BS. Most of the game the refs allowed the game to be played without calling penalties, then they call one on Wesley. Not saying that Atlanta wouldn't have still won in overtime, but if they had been calling the game consistant last night we might of won earlier. The goalie can't do it all himself, he has to have help from the rest of the team.

Now I am sure that I am going to be blasted for my opinions.......just remember it is just "my opinion" Everybody has one.

Sit on the fence and look at both sides before jumping the gun and making a stupid discission that might hurt the team worse in the end.

I'll just point out that the game wasn't played with the "refs allowing the game to be played". Carolina had 7 PP chances. Just because the 2nd one they called on us led to the game-winning goal doesn't mean it was BS, nor does it mean we lost because of the refs.