The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

I'll just point out that the game wasn't played with the "refs allowing the game to be played". Carolina had 7 PP chances. Just because the 2nd one they called on us led to the game-winning goal doesn't mean it was BS, nor does it mean we lost because of the refs.

The reason I thought it was BS call was the refs seemed to be letting the players play the last 5 or 6 mins N Reg. There seemed to be a number of calls that could of went either way in that time period. That is why that call stuck out to me so much. Still it takes a whole team to win and a whole team to loose.

The only thing I have seen is a

"BLOG" on N&O. Nothing on the Canes web page, ESPN, TSN or any other sports news. This is kinda weird to me so until JR confirms it and it is posted of another sports page it's just a rumor that may come true.

Carolina needs to look at the whole picture. It's not one persons fault that we haven't been winning. .

While I understand what you mean, these guys are payed a 7 figure salary play. While I am not one to make emotional decisions, Grahame having the worst GAA average right now in the entire NHL is plenty of "dispassionate" reason to make a change. Our team is heading out of the playoffs fast. We have to make changes if we are to prevent this and moving the worst GAA goalie in the NHL off our team for maybe the hottest AHL goalie can hardly be described as a knee jerk action imo.

While I understand what you mean, these guys are payed a 7 figure salary play. While I am not one to make emotional decisions, Grahame having the worst GAA average right now in the entire NHL is plenty of "dispassionate" reason to make a change. Our team is heading out of the playoffs fast. We have to make changes if we are to prevent this and moving the worst GAA goalie in the NHL off our team for maybe the hottest AHL goalie can hardly be described as a knee jerk action imo.

But the lowest GAA goalie didn't play last night

IMO I think Grahame is in a slump right now, but so is Ward.

Really, I think this is even more signs pointing to Lavi's job being in question if the Canes miss the playoffs again.

Lavi doesn't want the guys fighting. JR calls up Brookbank to be an enforcer because the guys are getting the crap kicked out of them and injuries are piling up. Again.

Now Grahame, who was here because of his ties to Lavi, gets the boot.

Seems like the one getting the most notice is Lavi, that the status quo isn't acceptable and things need to change. He doesn't look to have such free reign over running things now, and his policies are being overruled. It may end up that if Lavi won't change things, they'll get someone else who will.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. interesting thoughts, add two years in a row with this awful power play.

But the lowes GAA goalie didn't play last night

No, but the lowest GAA Goalie would have had at least 8 more starts for us. Unfortunately we can't invest a 7 figure salary and give up 16 points (possibly) to try to keep up John's mental spirits.

I thought Johnny had some good games for us in Nov 06 and our guys totally hung him out to dry (Bruins game in Nov 06 for example). Unfortuately that was then and this is now.

We MUST make changes and they have to start somewhere.

This looks like a no brainer to me. At this point, Leighton really can't be any worse than Grahame has been lately. This move will not cost us a ton against the cap, and somebody (really desparate) may claim Grahame. Maybe a change would do Grahame good. This may also be a wakeup call to Ward and also others on the team. I also think this is the first of several moves. A trade or two to possibly shake up the team but if things don't improve soon, I'm affraid JR may blow up this team and look to next year. We have essentially the same team we had two years ago and are getting older all of the time. It was mentioned on the broadcast several times last night that we are on of the 3 oldest teams in the league. That can not bode well for the future. If we are the same place this year as last, do we become buyers or sellers?

Very simply, I am happy. i ahve been SO dissapointed with Grahame this year, as have many, and have heard all of the hype surrounding Leighton. Yeah, he has been inconsistent in the NHL so far, but so has Grahame, so he cant be any worse. I just want to see him play well. No, I dont think he will play friday, but against St. Louis....i can see that happening. is that game televised? when is the first game we get to watch him play?

I am sorry to Max for what our injuries and shortcomings have done to your very good Rats team. Right now, alone, we have your:

#1 goalie and top goalie in the AHL

top 2 scoring forwards

top defenseman

enforcer

thats 5 big pieces of a puzzle that will be tough to fill. good luck with that Max!

Hopefully Leighton adds a little life to the team, as is the case from the goalie. Sorry to see Grahame go, but he added little to the cause. Now let Ward get straigthened out (and start eating for crying out loud and put those 20 lbs back on!).

Just in case anyone is curious, the story is also now showing on The Hockey News in an article that has an interview with JR. So I would say that it is not just a rumor. Plus they have announced that Leighton has been recalled with Aucoin and Nolan.

Very simply, I am happy. i ahve been SO dissapointed with Grahame this year, as have many, and have heard all of the hype surrounding Leighton. Yeah, he has been inconsistent in the NHL so far, but so has Grahame, so he cant be any worse. I just want to see him play well. No, I dont think he will play friday, but against St. Louis....i can see that happening. is that game televised? when is the first game we get to watch him play?

I am sorry to Max for what our injuries and shortcomings have done to your very good Rats team. Right now, alone, we have your:

#1 goalie and top goalie in the AHL

top 2 scoring forwards

top defenseman

enforcer

thats 5 big pieces of a puzzle that will be tough to fill. good luck with that Max!

LOL :lol: ecu!! haha..

A shakeup was needed, but only time will tell if this was the right shakeup. I only hope that the best in the AHL is better than the worst in the NHL, but many have spoken about the defensive problems. :unsure:

#1 in G.A., #30 in PK and 3# in G.A.A. looks a lot like an overall defensive problem to me. If we could settle down in our defensive zone, then we could take advantage of being #3 in Goals and #3 in assists.

However, I agree that something needed to be done to send a message to the whole team, coaches included.

You know, I just thought of something. I still have only NHL 07 on a normal X-Box, and when I get back home to it, I wont be able to make the team we have now thanks to Leighton, Borer, and Nolan (pretty sure Brookbank is on there)......CRAP!

WOOOHOOO!!! Sorry Johnny, but you've been absolutely awful this year. Cam needed someone to make him feel some pressure. The team needed a shakeup, Cam can't develop into the goalie he can be if he has a job wrapped up and if he knows the backup is a guaranteed loss then he is not going feel that fire under his rear.

Nolan and Aucoin coming up is good too. Of course we'd rather have Cullen/Walker healthy, but I think the youth on the D Line with Borer is a positive movement. Hedican hasn't been too great this year. We have a top 2 line scoring threat and an energy 3rd line. Improving the D until we can get Cullen/Walker back is important though. Cam and now Leighton can't put up shut out after shut out if they are facing 30 + shots a game. Aaron Ward would be great to get back and it would dramatically improve the team's chances of making a run.

A defense of Ward, Borer, Commodore, Gleason, Wesley and Seidenburg would be much improved. Wallin and Hedican are hurt and have been hurt a lot lately so you can't count on them and Kaberle may be the next to go after JG.

I know Grahame had a ton of fans, but I went to the Islanders game on New Years Eve, that was the worse game I have seen as far as goalies go, and I have been to games with Kidd, Storr, and Weekes as goalie.

I know Grahame had a ton of fans, but I went to the Islanders game on New Years Eve, that was the worse game I have seen as far as goalies go, and I have been to games with Kidd, Storr, and Weekes as goalie.

you can pick on trevor and jamie but dont pick on weekes. he was good for us :]

you can pick on trevor and jamie but dont pick on weekes. he was good for us :]

Weekes did alright, when he was on he was really good, but when he was off I couldn't watch anymore.

Trevor Kidd the goalie who used to slide out of postion and give up empty net goals because of being off his angle :blink:

Weekes was not that bad

one of the worst I ever remember was on the Whalers was Kay Whitemore

I was at a game in Boston he gave up a goal to Ray Bourque from bostons own blue line :blink:

Big deal. I'm not thrilled. JR won't even have a chance to make a decent trade because are players are getting injuries left and right like their playing in the pee wees. We need tougher freaking players!!

Lets get Iron Man and the Hulk maybe they won't get boo boos.

Ok, I had to get that out.

Count me among those that are surprised they actually went through with this. Even though I've felt people here were too hard on Grahame sometimes, I won't miss him myself either. Hopefully no one will expect Leighton to come in and be the savior, afterall he's still basically a journeyman fringe NHLer. But maybe he can give us more consistent play than Grahame, so this is definitely worth a shot.

Dumping the backup goalie won't make us a contender again, but maybe it's a start.