The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

This is long overdue as far as I am concerned. Leighton would have to be awfully bad in order to top Grahame. Even if he were to help us collect five or six more points in this season, it could go a long way in securing a playoff spot. At the very least he should push Cam a little more, nothing wrong with a little friendly competition.

Cudos to JR for saying:

"John Grahame didn't do anything wrong, he didn't get any support," Rutherford said. "We're just giving another guy a chance here."

The goalie can't do it all by himself but if Cam isn't carefull he may be next.

Well you said you would rather have the unknown than Grahame and Curtis Joseph is pretty well known......Sorry, but CuJo is close to done and he wouldn't be able to keep with the holes in the canes Defense. Goaltending is a problem with the canes but not the biggest. The canes mgmt. relied too heavily on a young Ward to be the starter IMO when he should have been a back-up for a time. The collapsing defense needs the work right now. Better off without Cujo

For the first time, forever whalers and I agree. There is a first for everything !!!!

Keep Cujo where ever he is. (a barfight, a golf course, whereever)

From lukes blog, Nolan and Aucoin called up.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

The wounded...

Matt Cullen, concussion (out indefinitely)

Bret Hedican, knee (7-10 days)

Andrew Ladd, facial surgery (day-to-day)

David Tanabe, concussion (indefinite)

Scott Walker, knee (7-10 days)

Niclas Wallin, groin (7-10 days)

Justin Williams, knee (4-6 months)

You know, I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I look at this list get longer. :o

Whitney // Staal // Cole

Stillman // Brind'Amour // Nolan

Letowski // Hamilton // LaRose

Adams // Aucoin // Brookbank

Gleason // Commodore

Wesley // Borer

Seidenberg // Kaberle

Ward

Leighton

Yeah, that's a possible lineup for tomorrow's game. That is an UGLY, UGLY lineup. With the exception of LaRose (and only on a blue moon), there's no offensive talent below the second line.

I understand the move but I am not sold on Leighton until he comes in and proves it at this level. The Canes "D" is awful and Leighton will walk into the same fire. JG let in some soft goals but he also got "left on the side of the highway in his boxers" on many nights by his teammates.

I know many will not like this but I woudl support trading a big name forward and I know JR has looked at this in the past and is making calls right now. One thing to shake things up by trading a back-up goalie with a contract ending, a whole other thing to trade a big name and get something back for it. Everyone knows (or should know) you have to trade something to get something. I have a player I could see going but I will not start a firestorm by mentioning his name. It would shake this board and fanbase for a while until they start seeing the improvement to the team. They could get something for him.

THere is a lot riding on this year for the organization and I don't think this is the end. As JR said, it was nothing that Grahame did. The problem is not with JG, it is with the Canes "D" from both our D-guys and the forwards. Got to shake up that core to really get something done.

Again, more riding on JRs move than winning more games and staying in first in the SE.

Very simply, I am happy. i ahve been SO dissapointed with Grahame this year, as have many, and have heard all of the hype surrounding Leighton. Yeah, he has been inconsistent in the NHL so far, but so has Grahame, so he cant be any worse. I just want to see him play well. No, I dont think he will play friday, but against St. Louis....i can see that happening. is that game televised? when is the first game we get to watch him play?

I am sorry to Max for what our injuries and shortcomings have done to your very good Rats team. Right now, alone, we have your:

#1 goalie and top goalie in the AHL

top 2 scoring forwards

top defenseman

enforcer

thats 5 big pieces of a puzzle that will be tough to fill. good luck with that Max!

Nope you guys do not have our top enforcer. That would be Trevor Gillies. Brookbank has not really fought that much down here with us this season. I think he has only had 1 or 2 fights down here that I remember. Just really nerves now how this team will react to not having all these guys not here now. I assume they will use Nastuik as the starter now and Nastiuk has not played a game for us yet since coming back from his leg injury. This really sucks we are losing all these guys at once like this. But I am happy for all of them more so for Leights because he has been amazing for us this season. I wish him the best and hope he does as good for the Canes as he has for us. And I pray to god if the Canes do decide to send him back down no one claims him off waivers.

Yeah, that's a possible lineup for tomorrow's game. That is an UGLY, UGLY lineup. With the exception of LaRose (and only on a blue moon), there's no offensive talent below the second line.

not sure Seids will be ready, but we will see. forgot about Hamilton lol....go figure.

Its a change and I am hopeful but I am not looking to Leighton, Borer, Aucoin, or Nolan to be our saviors. Let's not pressure them too much.

If they have played much with each other it would probably be good to keep Aucoin and Nolan on the same line. Maybe they can bring the same stuff they have in Albany. imo

someone was talking about Ryder and how he is struggling and we dont need to worry about him.....he nowhas 3 points in the last 3 games, including a goal and assist tonight...maybe we SHOULD be looking at this guy?

someone was talking about Ryder and how he is struggling and we dont need to worry about him.....he nowhas 3 points in the last 3 games, including a goal and assist tonight...maybe we SHOULD be looking at this guy?

The key there would be for what in a trade would we be willing to give for him?

I would think that Montreal would want a fairly decent pick for him considering what they could get at the deadline for him and we're quickly approaching the time of year where people start to overpay for proven commodities. If Montreal wanted to give him away for a 3rd round pick ...then so be it. However, if they're talking about wanting a 2nd or a 1st for him then they can keep him. With as close as we are to falling from 3rd overall in the standings to 13th we could be talking about a potential Top 10 pick for Ryder if they're demanding a first for him. We're not a good enough team this year as it stands to add pieces for a playoff run that may not last five games.

Nope you guys do not have our top enforcer. That would be Trevor Gillies. Brookbank has not really fought that much down here with us this season. I think he has only had 1 or 2 fights down here that I remember. Just really nerves now how this team will react to not having all these guys not here now. I assume they will use Nastuik as the starter now and Nastiuk has not played a game for us yet since coming back from his leg injury. This really sucks we are losing all these guys at once like this. But I am happy for all of them more so for Leights because he has been amazing for us this season. I wish him the best and hope he does as good for the Canes as he has for us. And I pray to god if the Canes do decide to send him back down no one claims him off waivers.

Max, you think they could assign Justin Peters there like they did a few weeks ago when everyone was sick? He is starting to seem like the odd man out. He was to be the next goalie, but Leighton and Natsuik seem to be putting the heat on him.

So long Crackers... I agree with the others who have said this move might not take us to the top of the league overnight, but I don't see anyway that it's gonna hurt us! Anyone know where they'll show it first if he gets claimed?

Max, you think they could assign Justin Peters there like they did a few weeks ago when everyone was sick? He is starting to seem like the odd man out. He was to be the next goalie, but Leighton and Natsuik seem to be putting the heat on him.
Oh yeah they could. But do not get me wrong I like Justin but Justin does not look to be to comftorable here in the AHL. To inconsistant. One minute he looks great the next minute he looks to be out of place. Like I said I like Justin and I think he could be a great goalie.

Oh yeah they could. But do not get me wrong I like Justin but Justin does not look to be to comftorable here in the AHL. To inconsistant. One minute he looks great the next minute he looks to be out of place. Like I said I like Justin and I think he could be a great goalie.

So what do you think will be the goalie situation then?

This was a good move. The defense is soft but the goalies are softer. Leighton has had a spotted NHL career, but he is burning up the AHL and sometimes goalies kick around and then just get it. While most are warning not to look to Leighton as the second coming, I have slightly higher hopes: that the Canes could have an average goalie. I am actually seriously (perhaps delusionally) hoping that Leighton comes in here and goes on a serious run. I like Cam and all, but right now we need at least a middle of the pack goalie and we don't have it. We did at the start of the year, and if we can get that Ward back we will be set, but now: bring on Leighton!

For the last time we don't need A. Ward back here. There is a reason he is about to be on his 4th team in 2 years. No more recycling. And I think that JR is not done. This was a relatively small move, a bigger one is coming (just a hunch).

This was a good move. The defense is soft but the goalies are softer. Leighton has had a spotted NHL career, but he is burning up the AHL and sometimes goalies kick around and then just get it. While most are warning not to look to Leighton as the second coming, I have slightly higher hopes: that the Canes could have an average goalie. I am actually seriously (perhaps delusionally) hoping that Leighton comes in here and goes on a serious run. I like Cam and all, but right now we need at least a middle of the pack goalie and we don't have it. We did at the start of the year, and if we can get that Ward back we will be set, but now: bring on Leighton!

For the last time we don't need A. Ward back here. There is a reason he is about to be on his 4th team in 2 years. No more recycling. And I think that JR is not done. This was a relatively small move, a bigger one is coming (just a hunch).

AMEN! We really need Leights to be hot. That should also challenge Cam to step up his play when he gets in net too. Really...we just need to win Whatever it Takes.

check that....2g, 1a

So what do you think will be the goalie situation then?
Well we will have to wait and see what happens with Grahame. If Grahame clairs waivers and reports to Albany them I would assume he would be the starter and Nastiuk would be the backup. No matter what happens I can almost guarentee Nastiuk will get the start tomorrow night here in Albany aganist Syracuse. It would be his first start in an Albany uniform since coming back from his leg injury. If Grahame does not clair waiver or does not report then I would assume it would be Nastiuk and Peters as the goalies here in Albany. I think if that is the goalie tandem here in Albany then I think I would give Nastiuk the edge as the starter and Peters as the backup.

So, what number will Leighton wear?

I know he wore 49 in the pre-season, but I think he has been sporting 29 in albany.(Right Max?)

I personaly would like to see him with number 29, just for good mojo of our tandem from the cup year! :)

So, what number will Leighton wear?

I know he wore 49 in the pre-season, but I think he has been sporting 29 in albany.(Right Max?)

I personaly would like to see him with number 29, just for good mojo of our tandem from the cup year! :)

i hope he sticks with 49 like in the preseason for two reasons. first so that i dont have to change my sig. and second i made a poster but he got sent to albany before i could get him to sign it and it has #49 on it.