The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

I would really hope that our franchise goaltender doesn't need a career AHLer to inspire him to improve his play. Ward will have to learn to motivate himself and that the weight of a team, a franchise, and a fanbase should be enough inspiration for him to play his absolute best night after night.

someone was talking about Ryder and how he is struggling and we dont need to worry about him.....he nowhas 3 points in the last 3 games, including a goal and assist tonight...maybe we SHOULD be looking at this guy?

I would like for us to try for Ryder as well. He wasn't playing but now they are showcasing him (possibly for shopping reasons) and he is producing. I think he would fit our system.

I would really hope that our franchise goaltender doesn't need a career AHLer to inspire him to improve his play. Ward will have to learn to motivate himself and that the weight of a team, a franchise, and a fanbase should be enough inspiration for him to play his absolute best night after night.

Wow, 9 pages already .... Grahame has never been more popular!!! I couldn't agree with you more, Joe. These are professional athletes, and should be self-motivated. Really, IMO, its about focus more than motivation. I don't buy the "theory" that having an aspiring, hungry back-up come in who wants to challenge for the starting position will motivate Cam. Cam will have to motivate Cam, and it could back-fire if there is competition.

I heard Espo on XM a couple of weeks ago talking about Gerber in particular and goalies in general, and how when Gerber KNOWS he is the #1 and no chance of Emery coming in, he plays great 90% of his games. But when there is a question as to who is #1, he's not so great. Sooooo, I don't know what Lavi/JR plan to do with Cam, but if Leighton comes in STRICTLY as back-up, and he is okay with that decision, we may see a more relaxed, and better-performing Cam.

We'll see how it plays out. Should be interesting.

I'd keep him away from Barasso as well.

What was it Tripp said Tom did with Grahame? Something like this:

Tom: Hey John whens the last time you felt comfortable in net?

John: Last time I played for team USA

Tom: Oh, just look at tapes of that and start playing like that

.....2 weeks later, bye bye John

someone was talking about Ryder and how he is struggling and we dont need to worry about him.....he nowhas 3 points in the last 3 games, including a goal and assist tonight...maybe we SHOULD be looking at this guy?

Don't look now, but someone had two goals tonite in a big Montreal win over Tampa.

I'd keep him away from Barasso as well.

What was it Tripp said Tom did with Grahame? Something like this:

Tom: Hey John whens the last time you felt comfortable in net?

John: Last time I played for team USA

Tom: Oh, just look at tapes of that and start playing like that

.....2 weeks later, bye bye John

That says to me that Johnny was not comfortable here between the pipes. And is kind of a kick in the face to this franchise. <_<

See I never saw Barasso even talking to Cam at the practices I went to so I doubt that he has caused him any of the problems. However, he didn't seem to help Grahame but maybe he was beyond helping.

This looks like a no brainer to me. At this point, Leighton really can't be any worse than Grahame has been lately. This move will not cost us a ton against the cap, and somebody (really desparate) may claim Grahame. Maybe a change would do Grahame good. This may also be a wakeup call to Ward and also others on the team. I also think this is the first of several moves. A trade or two to possibly shake up the team but if things don't improve soon, I'm affraid JR may blow up this team and look to next year. We have essentially the same team we had two years ago and are getting older all of the time. It was mentioned on the broadcast several times last night that we are on of the 3 oldest teams in the league. That can not bode well for the future. If we are the same place this year as last, do we become buyers or sellers?

I have to disagree with you on one thing. As long as the Canes are in Playoff position, he won't blow up the team. We will remain a buyer. If we drop to third in the SE and continue to drop like a lead balloon, I see us becoming a seller. It just depends on what happens.

K~

The Red Wings have been one of if not the oldest teams in the league for years yet some of their oldest are STILL there and don't look to be going anywhere for a while. Oh and they are always in the hunt for the cup. Look at them now.

The NHL.com 'hockey transactions' does not say anything about JG being on waivers and there is nothing that I can find here on the Canes website. The only thing I have seen is in the Raleigh Noise and Disturber. Has anybody seen anything official?

The NHL.com 'hockey transactions' does not say anything about JG being on waivers and there is nothing that I can find here on the Canes website. The only thing I have seen is in the Raleigh Noise and Disturber. Has anybody seen anything official?

Nothing about JG but Leighton has been called up (along with Keith A and Nolan again). It would be safe to assume since Michael is flying to Atlanta that JG will be packing his bags. And to previous posts we (and I mean JR and myself :lol: ) are not done by a long shot. There will be a big shakeup within a week! This is just a move to put people on notice IMHO...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/''>http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/[/post]

Cudos to JR for saying:

"John Grahame didn't do anything wrong, he didn't get any support," Rutherford said. "We're just giving another guy a chance here."

The goalie can't do it all by himself but if Cam isn't carefull he may be next.

That's standard GM-speak. He isn't going to trash Grahame while he still hopes someone will claim him waivers, most likely re-entry if there is a chance at all.

This is a high stakes version of pulling the goalie to inspire the team that let him down. If JR really thought Grahame was doing a good job, he wouldn't have cut him loose. Grahame was well-liked in the room and JR wants guys to know their are harsh consequences.

This move wont change a thing our D is totaly worthless . When you let guys hang out in the slot and give odd man rushes 80% of the time tis is what happens

no goalie in the NHL can pt up with it. Ohh and let's not forget how we let guys hang all over the post with no one within 5 yards of them.

Wow! Looks as if he lived up to his abilities as the scouting report said.

I don't normally post, but its time something got said along the lines of the other post. JG was very well liked by the other players. He was great after practice yesterday and was all smiles before heading off to the airport. It is also true the team tries to create a "family" atmosphere within their organization (debatable, according to some sources). JR knew something had to be done to let these guys know that if they can't perform, they won't be around too long. That goes for everyone. JG bore the brunt of this scourge, but he won't be the last. Though I hope Leighton does well, and I am a huge Aucoin fan, I recognize these guys are not a panacea by the themselves. Babin, Borer, and Leighton may be around a while, but something else must happen, too. Hopefully they will bring some life and some grittier play. The defense has no teeth, the penalty kill...lets not go there, the offense is trying to be too pretty and only a few are willing to give up the body for the team. If Brind'amour isn't on the ice, you rarely will see anyone try to plant themself in front of the net and try to create position instead of just "passing" through the zone. These are coaching issues. If we slip out of first and make down to third or fourth, don't be surprised if Pete goes the way of JG. Bottom line, JG is a scapegoat for now, but he won't be the last domino to fall. Paul Maurice should not be a distant memory. PM-Almost a cup, then team collapses, no more job. PL--Cup win, team collapses, whats the pattern?

This move wont change a thing our D is totaly worthless . When you let guys hang out in the slot and give odd man rushes 80% of the time tis is what happens

no goalie in the NHL can pt up with it. Ohh and let's not forget how we let guys hang all over the post with no one within 5 yards of them.

Yes, there are problems in many areas but deals are hard to come by these days so they opted to go the shake-up route. It has some similarities to the Cup run move in benching Gerber in favor of Ward b/c that was on the heels of .500, inconsistent hockey and 2 terrible defensive games to start the playoffs. Circumstances and stakes are different but there are 2 common themes - everyone needs to be better defensively and things are going to fall on Cam Ward's shoulders.

I think Leighton will get some starts but this also should send a clear message to Ward that he is the #1, a cloudy message of late. So in a way Grahame was a sacrificial lamb but not a faultless one. His play put him in that position and it's easier to waive your back-up than replace half of your blueline.

So, what number will Leighton wear?

I know he wore 49 in the pre-season, but I think he has been sporting 29 in albany.(Right Max?)

I personaly would like to see him with number 29, just for good mojo of our tandem from the cup year! :)

Yeah Leights is 29 here in Albany.

Yes, there are problems in many areas but deals are hard to come by these days so they opted to go the shake-up route. It has some similarities to the Cup run move in benching Gerber in favor of Ward b/c that was on the heels of .500, inconsistent hockey and 2 terrible defensive games to start the playoffs. Circumstances and stakes are different but there are 2 common themes - everyone needs to be better defensively and things are going to fall on Cam Ward's shoulders.

I think Leighton will get some starts but this also should send a clear message to Ward that he is the #1, a cloudy message of late. So in a way Grahame was a sacrificial lamb but not a faultless one. His play put him in that position and it's easier to waive your back-up than replace half of your blueline.

Like I said this is nothing more than a band-aid to a huge huge D problem. You will see the same pattern until some bigger moves are made.

Let's jus hope those moves don't come too late.

I agree, this can't be the only move JR makes because, as you said it does not fix the defensive problem we have. I think this was the quickest, easiest move to make for now and to show the guys he's gonna shake it up however he has to to get things back in gear.