The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Grahame Placed on Waivers

Perhaps the move will breath new life into the team. As of late the guys have been flirting with disaster.

i think we've moved a little past flirting with disaster with this team. it looks to me that we've been dry humping the crap out of it as of recently.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=652404&category=SPORTS&newsdate=1/4/2008' target="_blank">http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...wsdate=1/4/2008[/post]

Here is a link to our newspaper here in Albany and it does say the Grahame was put on waivers.

How come there isn't an article rejoicing that you guys are getting Grahame? Or does that article come right after he clears waivers?

How come there isn't an article rejoicing that you guys are getting Grahame? Or does that article come right after he clears waivers?
That is not funny :P

That is not funny :P

Huh....you think you all would be excited to have a seasoned NHLer up there. He is a stellar goaltender. As long as the defense plays awesome in front of him. And the offense scores a lot. And the puck doesn't bounce too much. And the players stay out of his crease. And it can't be too cold either or else he may have a hard time getting down so he can do his best impression of Hasek (if Hasek were in slow-motion of course)

Huh....you think you all would be excited to have a seasoned NHLer up there. He is a stellar goaltender. As long as the defense plays awesome in front of him. And the offense scores a lot. And the puck doesn't bounce too much. And the players stay out of his crease. And it can't be too cold either or else he may have a hard time getting down so he can do his best impression of Hasek (if Hasek were in slow-motion of course)
:lol: You're on a roll today huh. :lol: I will be happy if he plays well.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=652404&category=SPORTS&newsdate=1/4/2008' target="_blank">http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...wsdate=1/4/2008[/post]

Here is a link to our newspaper here in Albany and it does say the Grahame was put on waivers.

One thing that concerns me is that it took until just a few minutes ago for the Canes website to even mention that Grahame was put on waivers. I mean come on! Usually they post any press releases. Not that it is likely, but it is almost as if they did not want anyone to notice that we let John go. Even then, it is buried deep within the preview for tonight's game. I will say it did not pull any punches stating:

"Goaltender John Grahame was placed on waivers to make room for Leighton, a change based on performance rather than health."

Couldn't be any more forward than that. Let's hope Leighton can motivate Cam to raise his game of late, though I don't know how much better Cam will do with essentially a quarter of the team being from the AHL at this point. Not a dig on those guys, but there is a reason they started at that level. Lets hope they are up to the task.

:rolleyes: Even after he is placed on waivers you still dont stop

:rolleyes: Even after he is placed on waivers you still dont stop

Dude...it was a joke. Calm down. Plus...he is still with the Canes until noon; I have an hour and a half of material left. :lol:

Plus, if I am going to be called inconsiderate and rude I might as well go all out then eh?

One thing that concerns me is that it took until just a few minutes ago for the Canes website to even mention that Grahame was put on waivers. I mean come on! Usually they post any press releases. Not that it is likely, but it is almost as if they did not want anyone to notice that we let John go. Even then, it is buried deep within the preview for tonight's game. I will say it did not pull any punches stating:

"Goaltender John Grahame was placed on waivers to make room for Leighton, a change based on performance rather than health."

Couldn't be any more forward than that. Let's hope Leighton can motivate Cam to raise his game of late, though I don't know how much better Cam will do with essentially a quarter of the team being from the AHL at this point. Not a dig on those guys, but there is a reason they started at that level. Lets hope they are up to the task.

I could be wrong but I believer there are certain rules and issues with placing a player on waivers. I am usre it is a lot of paper work and writing a press release is no where near the top of the list. Again, I could be wrong. I think you usually see this if a bigger name player gets put on waivers like Reechi since the more mainstream hockey press picks it up. Not sure Grahame is going to get the wheels at TSN and Sportsnet going.

WHo knows, maybe the Canes public relations person is out sick ? Could be anything.

Dude...it was a joke. Calm down. Plus...he is still with the Canes until noon; I have an hour and a half of material left. :lol:

Plus, if I am going to be called inconsiderate and rude I might as well go all out then eh?

YOu go girl, I have your back!!!! Get hot like heatley!!

See I never saw Barasso even talking to Cam at the practices I went to so I doubt that he has caused him any of the problems. However, he didn't seem to help Grahame but maybe he was beyond helping.

Thats what I was thinking. How can you blame Barasso for the fact that Grahame refuses to take coaching. Goalie coaching seems to be more about breaking down film and critiquing technique than actually teaching goalies. Once you get to the pros, you obviously have potential to be good. Its just a matter of giving each player a chance to succeed by optimizing their potential. A coach can only make suggestions. Players have to be willing to work in order to make that possible.

See I never saw Barasso even talking to Cam at the practices I went to so I doubt that he has caused him any of the problems. However, he didn't seem to help Grahame but maybe he was beyond helping.

Where he helped JG was in the puckhandling. You could see it in his play. The minute Barasso became goalie coach, you would see Grahame do more digging out pucks above the goal line in the corners and send the puck up the ice to a Cane in the nuetral zone. That has Barasso all over it. Cam can not do that and should never do that. Cam has the puckhandling skills of a 15 year old forward.

Barasso was the king of puck handling when he was playing and by the time he was a cane, he could whip the puck out and in any direction. (of course before the Trapizoid). If you watched Grahame, he was doing this more and more and this was a direct response from Barasso driving that style of play. If the D-men/Forwards can not get the puck up the ice, let the goalie do it.

I could be wrong but I believer there are certain rules and issues with placing a player on waivers. I am usre it is a lot of paper work and writing a press release is no where near the top of the list. Again, I could be wrong. I think you usually see this if a bigger name player gets put on waivers like Reechi since the more mainstream hockey press picks it up. Not sure Grahame is going to get the wheels at TSN and Sportsnet going.

WHo knows, maybe the Canes public relations person is out sick ? Could be anything.

What makes me curious is how the other media sources got their information? I had a friend that called us at about 7:30 saying John was released, but we couldn't confirm confirm it for about 45 minutes to an hour of scouring "official" news sources. I am sure part of this was when the actual move was made. I wonder if there are times when moves must be made before having to wait until the following day to make moves official?

Sending a good backup to waivers list is not the answer. Similiar thing was with Bryzgalov, previous Ducks backup, but Phoenix picked him up and now he is perfect goalie for the Yotes, and it looks like they are playing very well with him in goal. Grahame is maybe not that good as Bryzgalov is, but he is probably better than Tampa goalies right now, and I think they should pick him up.

What makes me curious is how the other media sources got their information? I had a friend that called us at about 7:30 saying John was released, but we couldn't confirm confirm it for about 45 minutes to an hour of scouring "official" news sources. I am sure part of this was when the actual move was made. I wonder if there are times when moves must be made before having to wait until the following day to make moves official?

The Canes don't write a press release until the player has CLEARED waivers and is assigned to the AHL affiliate, otherwise they would have to write 2 press releases. One when they waive him and another when he either gets claimed or clears.

This isn't the same thing as Bryzgalov, he was waived because he wanted to be a #1 goalie and Burke told him that he would do what he could to make that happen. Giguere is their undisputed #1 goalie and that wasn't going to change no matter how well Bryz did so that's why they waived him and let Phoenix have him so he could be the #1 goalie that he deserved to be.

Tampa won't pick him up and he wouldn't want to go back there. Torts was not nice to him at all when he was there and that's not a situation JG should go back to for his own well being. Torts did a lot of damage, no need to give him a 2nd chance to do it again.

Sending a good backup to waivers list is not the answer. Similiar thing was with Bryzgalov, previous Ducks backup, but Phoenix picked him up and now he is perfect goalie for the Yotes, and it looks like they are playing very well with him in goal. Grahame is maybe not that good as Bryzgalov is, but he is probably better than Tampa goalies right now, and I think they should pick him up.

I am sorry, but this post is very uneducated.

Situation with Bryzgalov was absolutely different. Bryzgalov was waived because he was so good. He wanted to be No.1 and Ducks already had No.1. They tried to trade him but found no takers... so they waived him to do him a favor. If you spent some time on research you could have figured that out.

Grahame is plain bad to say least and he was waived because he sucked. Tampa will never pick him up, just based on his past history between Grahame and Torts. Besides, Tampa has Ramo now and he is a decent young goalie with a lot of promise.

Grahame NHL career is most likely over, next year he will be either in AHL or Europe. I'll be very very suprised if someone picks him up.

I am sorry, but this post is very uneducated.

Situation with Bryzgalov was absolutely different. Bryzgalov was waived because he was so good. He wanted to be No.1 and Ducks already had No.1. They tried to trade him but found no takers... so they waived him to do him a favor. If you spent some time on research you could have figured that out.

Grahame is plain bad to say least and he was waived because he sucked. Tampa will never pick him up, just based on his past history between Grahame and Torts. Besides, Tampa has Ramo now and he is a decent young goalie with a lot of promise.

Grahame NHL career is most likely over, next year he will be either in AHL or Europe. I'll be very very suprised if someone picks him up.

I disagree, Grahame will find a home but just not in the Eastern Conference. He is not a bad goalie when he has a decent D in front of him. When he was with Tampa he would shut us down on a regular basis. Unfortunate for us, he isn't the type of goalie that will steal a game for you when the D sucks (Gerber, Ward).

Okay, thanks for reposting :P

I just wanted to say/write my thoughts about this situation, if I am not right you don't have to be sorry. It's my fault that I didn't noticed some things.

And yes, I agree with that Grahame should find his new team in NHL.

Wow, this is the most comment's I think I've ever seen concerning Grahame.

We may want to start referring to him as "Crumbs" now because that IS what Rats eat isn't it? :lol: :lol:

Where he helped JG was in the puckhandling. You could see it in his play. The minute Barasso became goalie coach, you would see Grahame do more digging out pucks above the goal line in the corners and send the puck up the ice to a Cane in the nuetral zone. That has Barasso all over it. Cam can not do that and should never do that. Cam has the puckhandling skills of a 15 year old forward.

Barasso was the king of puck handling when he was playing and by the time he was a cane, he could whip the puck out and in any direction. (of course before the Trapizoid). If you watched Grahame, he was doing this more and more and this was a direct response from Barasso driving that style of play. If the D-men/Forwards can not get the puck up the ice, let the goalie do it.

One thing that Grahame was always good at was puckhandling. I don't think Barasso taught him anything, just maybe encouraged him to use it more. They reviewed tapes of him at World Championships , the last time Grahame said he felt good and it seemed to help him for a few games, but his numbers still weren't good. I am excited to see Leighton tonight.