The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dmonk

Post Game Analysis 1/4 @ Thrashers

Sorry.....I know first game and stuff, maybe the jitters ( even though he has played in the NHL before) but whats the big difference between him and Grahame. His 5-hole was like a barn door, but I'll watch him a few more games before I say anything else. Maybe he needed that one under his belt.

There isn't a great deal of difference overall - two inconsistent back-ups with modest skills by NHL standards. The real difference though may be is styles in that Grahame makes a bad goal look worse because of his flopping style while Leighton is a classic butterfly goalie. From a fan perspective Grahame became the whipping boy while Leighton will be given lots of plaudits for now even for a mediocre game. Just the way it is, I guess.

But your point is well-taken on the White goal. Leighton was a deer-in-the-headlights and just froze. At that point, it wasn't nerves it was just a terrible decision and inaction on his part. He was ok last night but other than the Kovalchuk shot didn't face a high number of quality chances. But a road win against a division opponent from your back-up is all you can ask for given the circumstances.

There isn't a great deal of difference overall - two inconsistent back-ups with modest skills by NHL standards. The real difference though may be is styles in that Grahame makes a bad goal look worse because of his flopping style while Leighton is a classic butterfly goalie. From a fan perspective Grahame became the whipping boy while Leighton will be given lots of plaudits for now even for a mediocre game. Just the way it is, I guess.

But your point is well-taken on the White goal. Leighton was a deer-in-the-headlights and just froze. At that point, it wasn't nerves it was just a terrible decision and inaction on his part. He was ok last night but other than the Kovalchuk shot didn't face a high number of quality chances. But a road win against a division opponent from your back-up is all you can ask for given the circumstances.

good post.........off topic for aquick second, listening to Forslund and Tripp last night and by the way, Tripp really likes to listen to himself talk doesn't he and I swear Forslund was praising Leighton to appease the canes fans...anyway just my take. He did have a medicore game and your right the quality of shots he faced were low. Funny thing when he stopped the Kovalchuk shot , he lost sight of it and figured it was glove high when it actually hit his stick, he didn't know till after BUT he did have the paddle in the right place. I do wish him luck and hope he has some good games unless he's playing the habs then he can stink up the joint.

Personally, I didn't see any huge difference in skill level between Leighton and Grahame. The 2 on 1 he stopped he looked like he just plopped in front of it and got lucky. I'll give him a break for being nervous (flying up unexpectedly and then being told he was to start the next game). Definite message to Cam (we don't have a #1 - #2 goalie system -- we'll play whomever is stopping the puck!). The D was much better at clearing away rebounds. I noticed Leighton doesn't come out of the net to play the puck very much.

I think the whole notion of having five guys (25% of the game roster) filled with guys brought up from the AHL was also a message (especially to borderline players like Letowski and Adams). I think that's what Lavi had to do -- make it clear that there are no reserved seats on the bench!

Just woke up after the long drive back and much needed sleep. From what I saw, everyone here's covered the bases already. Kudos to Whaler for those stats. The dump and chase was MUCH more effective when we went with the diagonal lob to the opposite corner. It's almost like the Atlanta defense was cheating toward the puck and counting on Lehtonen to stop it behind net, but when the puck went over everyone's head, it gave the chaser on the other side the extra couple of strides to lock up possession and start a cycle. I noticed after we shook that PITIFUL first period, our offense perked up and we were able to keep it in the zone quite often.

Can't say enough about Borer. This kid can play and Lavi's showing FULL confidence in him. Kudos on the goal. Was absolutely beautiful. When I saw him and Aucoin getting PP time, I was worried. But the PP, shorthanded opportunities not withstanding, looked better last night than it has in a LONG time, and when was the last time we got a 5 on 3 goal? Aucoin didn't do anything spectacular, but he did EXACTLY what we needed him to do.

Staal is becoming a beast, and is stepping up to the plate with all the injuries. I do think we got a generous call on that high stick though. He skated right in front of us and the "blood" must've been the handle of that stick brushing a shaving cut or something, cause I didn't see anything, but I could tell that Eric was hurting. It was a bit of a break, but Atlanta can't blame anyone but themselves for the delay call, and then Stiller made em pay for it.

I understand why other teams hate LaRose. The fans around me were on his case ALL night. He's a pest. But he's OUR pest. Kabs played his best game in some time last night, making 3 or 4 excellent plays to break up rushes and was all over the PP, too. Still needs to be more physical, but everyone does. I was screaming for ANYONE to put a body on Kovy or Hossa all night, and it was late, but I FINALLY got my wish when Staal crushed Kovalchuk into the boards mid-3rd period.

Leights was shaky early, and then had NO chance on the 2 on 1 shorthander in the 2nd, but settled down late, though the defense stepped up and helped him out. The save on Kovalchuk late in the first was HUGE for his confidence. Anxious to see how we look tonight in St. Louis. With the injuries and everything, we coulda folded tonight down 2-0 early and after giving up the shorthander after getting it within one, but we didn't. I'd argue the 2nd and 3rd periods were the best consecutive 40 minutes of hockey we've played in quite a while.

Oh, and also of note, at Philips last night, we were in the presence of alleged greatness: Tim Tebow was in the house, and rightfully got booed out of the building. You could probably hear the Tebow Sucks chant in the early parts of the second period. I'll post my pics from Philips down the board later today.

....I do think we got a generous call on that high stick though. He skated right in front of us and the "blood" must've been the handle of that stick brushing a shaving cut or something, cause I didn't see anything, but I could tell that Eric was hurting.....

Yes, that was a tough one to see and I didn't think he was bleeding either at first. He got a cut right above the eyebrow, though. Wasn't a huge gusher, maybe more of a bad scratch that bled even. Thing is that all that matters is that there's blood, not how much.

Couldn't see it most of the game on tv either until John and Tripp interviewed him post-game, and you could see it pretty clearly then. Didn't look real bad, but was very visible.

Oh, and also of note, at Philips last night, we were in the presence of alleged greatness: Tim Tebow was in the house, and rightfully got booed out of the building. You could probably hear the Tebow Sucks chant in the early parts of the second period.
Is that what they were yelling? Too funny. I knew it didn't sould like "Leighton sucks", but couldn't figure out what it was! :)

Personally, I didn't see any huge difference in skill level between Leighton and Grahame. The 2 on 1 he stopped he looked like he just plopped in front of it and got lucky. I'll give him a break for being nervous (flying up unexpectedly and then being told he was to start the next game). Definite message to Cam (we don't have a #1 - #2 goalie system -- we'll play whomever is stopping the puck!). The D was much better at clearing away rebounds. I noticed Leighton doesn't come out of the net to play the puck very much.

I think the whole notion of having five guys (25% of the game roster) filled with guys brought up from the AHL was also a message (especially to borderline players like Letowski and Adams). I think that's what Lavi had to do -- make it clear that there are no reserved seats on the bench!

Sorry. Have to disagree with you. There are reserved seats on the bench. It is unfair for you to highlite Adams and Letowski. If you ever check the # of shifts and ice time per game of these two as opposed to many others, surely you would see that they are doing pretty good overall. How about Ladd and LaRose. Both are playing with the top lines and getting PLENTY of ice time and neither are producing any tangible results. Neither of the 2 players that you criticized see any power-play time and often much of their playing time is accumulated on the PK. So tell me, what do you expect. If there was a coach on this team he would be bringing these two up to the other lines and dropping a couple of the others down. Try Brind'Amour, whom I respect but he isn't doing anything and Cole who isn't setting the world afire as of late either. Get LaRose onto the 4th line where he belongs and get Ladd there too so he can see what his future may be. Let's look at Staal. Yes he is getting some points as of late but it seems like they are just trade-offs for the ones that were a result of his lack of back-checking or throwing the puck away. He's on every power play plus double shifted many a time. With the time that he gets he had better be producing and a lot more than what he is right now. Between his give-a-ways and his falling to the ice it is hard to imagine that he has time to get any points. Most of his goals have been unearned and result of the hard work of his line-mates who dig and dig to get the puck at both ends of the ice as he awaits the slough.

No one has been playing any great shakes.

There are reserved seats on that bench. Unfortunately

Both Ladd and LaRose have produced more than Letowski and Adams. And I think your assessment is wrong. Both LaRose and Ladd have just now started playing on the top 2 lines, and only because of the injuries we've accumulated. But you're suggesting that we bring Letowski and Adams (who haven't done anything offensively all year) and stick them up there?

Staal and Cole are starting to get back to their game. They could be better, sure, but that applies to the whole team. At least they're putting up the points needed to win games.

Brindamour, well, that's a complicated situation. Could be age, could be a hidden injury, could be the loss of Williams. No one knows. But for whatever reason, he's not the same guy right now.

Both Ladd and LaRose have produced more than Letowski and Adams. And I think your assessment is wrong. Both LaRose and Ladd have just now started playing on the top 2 lines, and only because of the injuries we've accumulated. But you're suggesting that we bring Letowski and Adams (who haven't done anything offensively all year) and stick them up there?

Staal and Cole are starting to get back to their game. They could be better, sure, but that applies to the whole team. At least they're putting up the points needed to win games.

Brindamour, well, that's a complicated situation. Could be age, could be a hidden injury, could be the loss of Williams. No one knows. But for whatever reason, he's not the same guy right now.

If in production you are referring to points. One of us has misread the stats. Also it must be borne in mind that Ladd and LaRose have both had a great deal more ice time and opportunity to play with some key players to help them out. I still stick to my assessment.

You are right on Brind'Amour. As I said before, I respect him as a person and player and there has to be a good reason for him to be having such a togh time. I apologize to him and his fans (of which I am one) that I even brought him up. I truly hope his issue is resolved soon.

Staal is indeed picking up his game a bit (not so sure about Cole) but stick by the previous comments concerning him. A couple of half decent games does not absolve him of the lack of quality play that he has displayed for most of the year.

And yes I am suggesting that Letowski and Adams deserve a shot up there as they've been given very little opportunity to strut their stuff. Letowski has not made it into his ninth season in the NHL for doing nothing. Bear in mind that the average for an NHL'er is five seasons.

And yes I am suggesting that Letowski and Adams deserve a shot up there as they've been given very little opportunity to strut their stuff. Letowski has not made it into his ninth season in the NHL for doing nothing. Bear in mind that the average for an NHL'er is five seasons.

And of those 9 seasons, which one was he on the top 2 lines?