The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Appstatecanesfan

Leighton's game

but the defense is supposed to bail out the goalie. cam and grahame and leighton have all had times where they have left the net wide open and the defense had the chance to clear it. only with leighton have I seen them do so.

no, leighton isnt "hot" cause he is 1-1 in 2 games, but he has shown alot of promise. you guys are just as quick to say he isnt very good as those who say he is awesome are to say that. we havent been introduced enough to him yet, but I like how he looks in there. I wont say he is AWESOME and a SAVIOR yet, but if Cam falters, we are going to have to go with this guy, and I like our chances there. Especially if he learns to be calm and collected at the beginning of the game.

some of you say he wasnt tested......EVERY shot is a test. he may have let in a soft goal or 2, and I agree that he did, but he stopped the league's leading goal scorer at least twice, one of which would have beated Cam almost any day. he has been good and consistent when we have needed it so far, and the defense has stepped up to help him (yay borer!).

bottom line is, dont count this guy out yet. give Cam another chance, but dont count Leights out yet.

but the defense is supposed to bail out the goalie. cam and grahame and leighton have all had times where they have left the net wide open and the defense had the chance to clear it. only with leighton have I seen them do so.

no, leighton isnt "hot" cause he is 1-1 in 2 games, but he has shown alot of promise. you guys are just as quick to say he isnt very good as those who say he is awesome are to say that. we havent been introduced enough to him yet, but I like how he looks in there. I wont say he is AWESOME and a SAVIOR yet, but if Cam falters, we are going to have to go with this guy, and I like our chances there. Especially if he learns to be calm and collected at the beginning of the game.

some of you say he wasnt tested......EVERY shot is a test. he may have let in a soft goal or 2, and I agree that he did, but he stopped the league's leading goal scorer at least twice, one of which would have beated Cam almost any day. he has been good and consistent when we have needed it so far, and the defense has stepped up to help him (yay borer!).

bottom line is, dont count this guy out yet. give Cam another chance, but dont count Leights out yet.

Very well said!

thanks! :D glad someone notices <_<

yep, the only point i have been trying to make all along was that this is a good thing. We need to have the confidence that if one of our goalies drops a turd then the D and the other goalie can pick up the slack. As much as I like Crackers we just never got that from him.

yep, the only point i have been trying to make all along was that this is a good thing. We need to have the confidence that if one of our goalies drops a turd then the D and the other goalie can pick up the slack. As much as I like Crackers we just never got that from him.

exactly. but if we say that, it's bashing, right? yeah we can't help that both our goalies were not playing well. so we remedied the situation by taking out the one that was doing the worst, and replaced him with a goalie that has been tearing it up in the AHL to give him a chance with OUR system. just cause he hasnt done well for other teams doesnt mean he wont play well for us. again, he has this chance to show what he can do.....and he hasnt really dissapointed anyone yet has he? at least, no more than Cam or Grahame, right?

exactly. but if we say that, it's bashing, right? yeah we can't help that both our goalies were not playing well. so we remedied the situation by taking out the one that was doing the worst, and replaced him with a goalie that has been tearing it up in the AHL to give him a chance with OUR system. just cause he hasnt done well for other teams doesnt mean he wont play well for us. again, he has this chance to show what he can do.....and he hasnt really dissapointed anyone yet has he? at least, no more than Cam or Grahame, right?

Very well said! No one knows, we've seen players from one team not play well, and then get traded and play great for the other team...look at Recchi. We won't know more about leighton until he plays some more. He does show great potential, and wish him the best whenever he is in the net. Same to Cam as well!

Very well said! No one knows, we've seen players from one team not play well, and then get traded and play great for the other team...look at Recchi. We won't know more about leighton until he plays some more. He does show great potential, and wish him the best whenever he is in the net. Same to Cam as well!

thank YOU too! all we have to do is give hima chance. which the team is doing, but it doesnt seem most of you on here are, since he doesnt look as good as you would personally like.....come on people....

I think everyone just needs to remember that Leights was brought up to be a backup to Cam and to help this team get wins. He wasn't expected to be the next coming of Roy for us.

Obviously Lavi likes what he sees if he played him in both games of the back to back...when's the last time our backup did that?

WELL, that is true. he was brought to be the backup. or so we think. we really dont know. just because Cam has been the starter doesnt mean jack, especially if he hasnt been performing at the level we think he should be, which he hasn't.

as far as last time we let a backup start 2 back-to-back games in a row....lemme do my research, and I'll tell ya ;)

I have no problem with Leighton being the backup. I would have had a problem if he started the Boston game, since as stated before, you can't have your #1 goaltender sit too long. But since it looks like Cam's starting, it's all good.

That being said, I'm all for giving Leighton a chance, but I don't expect much from him. At least, I don't expect as much as some of the others do. If he can step in, steal us a win every once in a while, I'm fine with him.

WELL, that is true. he was brought to be the backup. or so we think. we really dont know. just because Cam has been the starter doesnt mean jack, especially if he hasnt been performing at the level we think he should be, which he hasn't.

as far as last time we let a backup start 2 back-to-back games in a row....lemme do my research, and I'll tell ya ;)

Save you the trouble..John Grahame has done it this year twice.

Did he? I don't mean two games in a row....I mean two games like our Friday/Saturday :huh:

Obviously Lavi likes what he sees if he played him in both games of the back to back...when's the last time our backup did that?

Last time the backup played both games of a back to back was when Ward did it in the cup season the 2nd and 3rd games Oct. 7th SO win vs. PIT and Oct. 8th loss to NYI.

^^Umm thanks, she said that...you didn't need to also.

Did he? I don't mean two games in a row....I mean two games like our Friday/Saturday :huh:

I did misunderstand ;)

I did misunderstand ;)

I did misunderstand ;)

It's okay I'm not mad :P

I just though maybe I had missed some games this year! LOL

I have no problem with Leighton being the backup. I would have had a problem if he started the Boston game, since as stated before, you can't have your #1 goaltender sit too long. But since it looks like Cam's starting, it's all good.

That being said, I'm all for giving Leighton a chance, but I don't expect much from him. At least, I don't expect as much as some of the others do. If he can step in, steal us a win every once in a while, I'm fine with him.

yeah I am glad they are getting cam back out there. although I feel Leights earned another start, even though it was a loss, Cam needs to show if he has learned anything while being on the bench.

I expect Leights will get the call more than most think. although it could go either way. I think it really depends on how Cam plays. if he doesnt improve, Leighton will get the call more than Grahame did. If he gets better, Leighton will get the call about as much as Grahame did. but if Leighton continues to show he can play well and gets us wins, he may be just as potent as Cam and get more chances, no matter how good Cam is. I'd rather have 2 young, good goalies than 1 of that category and 1 that is older, but not as good.

yeah I am glad they are getting cam back out there. although I feel Leights earned another start, even though it was a loss, Cam needs to show if he has learned anything while being on the bench.

I expect Leights will get the call more than most think. although it could go either way. I think it really depends on how Cam plays. if he doesnt improve, Leighton will get the call more than Grahame did. If he gets better, Leighton will get the call about as much as Grahame did. but if Leighton continues to show he can play well and gets us wins, he may be just as potent as Cam and get more chances, no matter how good Cam is. I'd rather have 2 young, good goalies than 1 of that category and 1 that is older, but not as good.

And that's all I've really been saying lately in this thread, too.

Leighton isn't the second coming of Roy, but he's a vast improvement over what we've seen in goal from either Grahame or Ward the past month or two simple mistakes and all (the exception being Ward in the first month of this season, but that's it), and so hopefully the pressure he provides by playing good will light a fire under Cam. If not, I expect to see more of Leighton regardless of how well he continues to play or not, as it's been noticeable that Grahame was being played more this year than last because the coaches were finally going by what they originally said right after Gerber left - that Cam is the starter, but there's the need for a backup to play a much higher than normal amount of games. There's only two ways Leighton won't be played much. 1) if someone else is brought in and he is sent back down or traded, or 2) if Ward comes back to life in net.

The thing is, the ball (or puck rather) is in Cam's court as to how much he will play regardless of who is the backup. He needs to step up and earn the right to start most of the games, or we'll see whoever else is on the Canes roster as goalie much more than we have in the past, regardless of if it is Leighton or Grahame or anyone else. That's really how it should be.