The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
icedave

RBC Ice

How often is the ice "taken up" during the course of a Canes' season. The circus is a given but what about other events? Just curious.

The circus is the only time they melt it during the season.

I met the guy responsible for the ice in the RBC last season (forgot his name though). He said the ice is melted only twice during hockey season. Once for the circus and once for the rodeo. He said it is too expensive and time consuming to melt it for the basketball games. He said they lay the basketball court over the ice.

I go to a school that no longer has a hockey program, but when they did they also laid the bball floor over the ice. Several former players have told me they hated playing bball during those years--the floor was too cold when they dove for loose balls and stretched before the game, etc. Poor babies. As a Tar Heels fan I like to think of the Wolfpack grimacing in discomfort while doing warmups....

This may be a dumb quesiton but....what do they do with the Ice when it melts?? Like does someone go there and mop it all up?
Perhaps they use that water to make some of the $9 beers they sell? Molston Ice, indeed! :blink:

How much water do the Canes use to resurface the ice during games? Will they be aksed to reduce water comsumption by Herr Meeker?

How much water do the Canes use to resurface the ice during games? Will they be aksed to reduce water comsumption by Herr Meeker?

Looks like it takes 10,000 gallons to make the ice:

http://www.rbccenter.com/about/126.asp.html[/post]

And according to this, maybe about 60 gallons to resurface.

http://www.iaam.org/Facility_manager/Pages...tionsEvents.htm

So let's see...at 25 gallons per person...as long as 400 people watch the ice being made and a few people are around every time it's resurfaced....maybe it's ok. Just don't flush the toilets :P