The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 1/8-Bruins

i find it very fitting that last week i was talking with one of my friends and i was like 'when was the last time you saw a game end 1-0?' basically i was talking about how the newer nhl allows for more scoring. and here we are on back to back 1-0 games.

Also, I'm angry at our offense tonight. 28 shots looks fine, but considering 17 of them came in the second period, that's crap. I can understand that we didn't have many shots in the 3rd since we were trying to protect the lead (No. Stop that. It worked tonight, but it won't most of the time), but we really need more shots on goal if we want to win most nights.

As critical as people were about the arrival of Samsonov, I think he played well and looked impressive. He worked just as hard as anyone else out there and I seriously felt like he was trying to prove his worth.

I will take a 1-0 win any day of the week. It means we played good defense and kept the puck out of Cam Wards end. Yes more shots would be nice but if we're out-shooting the opponent and protecting the goalie, that's fantastic considering the amount of injuries and guys filling in from the AHL.

Detroit beat Colorado 1-0 tonight with only 19 shots I believe. Hasek got HIS 3rd shutout. I am going to call it a good omen because I can and I remind you that the best team in the league right now had a similar night(don't break it down to detail, I am speaking figuratively).

If you can't come out of watching that game with a sense of hope then you need to seriously evaluate your stress levels and possible depression issues. LOL

Welcome Sergei! I need to get a new jersey soon, perhaps it will be the new #14.

My only problem with this game is that once again, Cole has been off. He keeps trying the same move against the D, only to fail constantly. He's also trying the drop pass when there's no one behind him. Wish he would get back to his old form.

Stillman's starting to disappear as well.

Cole looked good to me tonight, and he has for awhile. He forechecks hard, he'll battle through hooks and hits, draws penalties. he does much more than just compliment Staal. Does he have magic hands with the puck like Cullen or Whitney? No, but not many players do.

Cole is a power forward, the guy is not supposed to have a ton of moves basically. He will surprise people at times though with a few highlight reels.

Also, wouldn't be too concerned with the Canes' lack of scoring or scoring chances. We lost some good offensive players, lines have constantly been changed. We need good goaltending and defense to keep winning consistently until things get sorted out.

Cole was putting a body on Chara everytime he was down there. He also had a pretty move on him to attack the zone for a shot. i think part of it was accidental but it worked.

I'm not sure what you guys expect sometimes. IMO people need to think less about an individuals efforts and more towards the entire line. But what do I know?

derka derka

I see Sergei Samsonov filling the type of role Sami Kapanen played on this team...

Not the highest scoring guy, but works hard and squeezes points out of his linemates by creating time and space for them while he does his thing in the corners and near the boards. He's already showed he's an excellent puck handler and has great speed. What else can we say? he has something to prove, and He looks hell bent on doing it.

It seems to me that this team, even with all of the injuries, has been playing fairly balanced lately. I enjoy it when the guys put up 5 or 6 goals a night BUT that is also when we tend to give up that many (we have given up more goals than we have scored). Maybe toning down the offense and tightening up the defense is what we need to be doing, more of a western style team.

Good overall effort, of course we can always find things that could have been better - but we got two points in a well played game.

I have to say for the 2nd straight game, the Canes looked good all around.

Played solid for 60 minutes. Like the Blues game, a tight checking / goalie battle that we came out on top.

PP, what few we had, looked dis-organized. So, that is my only negative of the game.

good win, just to point out a few negatives, Stillman played bad, I dont mind an off nite but give aways need to be avoided when your not on your game, and of course kaberle...clueless. Is it me or do the Canes lose 90% of the puck battles against the boards?

good win, just to point out a few negatives, Stillman played bad, I dont mind an off nite but give aways need to be avoided when your not on your game, and of course kaberle...clueless. Is it me or do the Canes lose 90% of the puck battles against the boards?

I actually thought that Kabs had a really good game last night. He looks like a completely different hockey player. He was battling in his own end and in the Boston end. His passing was 100 times better. I saw maybe one or two mistakes on his part, but he definitely looks like his confidence is back.

Oh My, our boys were back last night! Probably the most enjoying game to watch this season for me, because we have been playing so poorly, and to see all that energy and determination and with so many of our guys out....AWESOME! We must keep that kind of play up..plus more scoring of course!

And what is with Seids taking so many hard hits lately. The word must be out and it's a competition to see who can actually knock the Iceberg off his skates the hardest. ;)

Other than not bieng able to put the puck in the back of the net a little more,that was their best complete game of the year! From the goal to the 4th line great effort,great results.What a nice game to watch!!

It was a good team effort.

Staal found his groove and is a dominant force.

Defense played well. I think I am going to disagree with few here and state that Kaberle had a great night. Wallin and Seids were off on few occasions, but former contributed to the goal and latter blocked two shots that would be goals otherwise.

Cam had great night. But we know he has those occasionally. Lets wait until his performance finally becomes consistant.

I am still not impressed with Cole. He needs to learn new dekes. Each time he goes one on one he makes the same move, and again, and again, and again, ..., and again. And each time he fails to go pass defenseman. Someone ought to teach him a new trick, he isn't an old dog after all.

Brind'Amour found a soul mate in Samsonov. I think they played great together especially given the circumstances.

I will state that Samsonov had a good game. However, it is too early to judge him. Habs were happy the way he played for the first few games with them and then he was permanently benched. I

...and start putting the puck in the net .....

(Going slightly off topic...) That would be the problem with Samsonov. He has great skills, and he skates and skates and skates, but never puts puck in the net. It was the major complain from Habs and Hawks alike about Sergei. But as i said, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully Lavi and Co will find the way to use him properly.

The D was really impressive to watch! Hopefully now we can get back to scoring 3-4 per night!

IMO as far as seeing how far back this team has come...Thursday is a huge game.

Looks to me like Staal is really starting to take this team as his own.

If {Samsonov} plays well, however, it opens an interesting question. What our lines would be when Whitney and Walker are back, but Cullen is still out.

I think we're back to 3+ strong lines if that is the case.

Stillman, Brind'amour, Samsonov

Whitney, Staal, Cole

Walker, Letowski, LaRose/Ladd

Adams, Hamilton, LaRose/Ladd

I know Ladd and Larose are capable of playing on higher lines, but the way I see it, when you put that much energy and scoring potential on the lower lines, you get back to the type of team we need to be.

I think the biggest potential for us to remain consistent will be what we saw in this game, and that is consistent defense from both the defensemen and the forwards. The guys have been very responsible in our end for the most part and its starting to show. Our forwards have been good at getting back and on the forecheck. Watching Cole throwing hits on Chara tonight was good to see, though it make me laugh anytime I see anyone try to throw a hit on Chara.. especially Hamilton's attempt. :D

(Going slightly off topic...) That would be the problem with Samsonov. He has great skills, and he skates and skates and skates, but never puts puck in the net. It was the major complain from Habs and Hawks alike about Sergei. But as i said, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully Lavi and Co will find the way to use him properly.

When Sergei was playing well with Montreal--he was playing with Koivu. When they tried to pair him with Kovalev--they didn't work well together. Instead of moving him back up, they benched him for poor play. And no place gets on Russian players faster and harder than Mtl. In Chicago, he just didn't fit in well and when he didn't come out blazing, they just shut him down.

Now, he has a chance to fit in with a coach he has played for, on a team that likes to play up tempo hockey and on a team that can go a legit 3 deep with centers (with Cullen back.) I don't know if he will continue to play like he did last night, but he fit in well with Roddy and did a good job of filling William's place on that line. And please remember, Justin wasn't really filling it up the last 10 games before he got hurt either. I can see him being able to skate with Cole and Staal for a whole lot of speed and being able to work with Cullen as well.

Actually, I see he and Ladd as two interchangeable parts of the Canes offense. When more speed is wanted, use Sergei on Staal's line or if you just want to punish the other team use Ladd. Both players can be effective on other lines, but I think that would be a good place to try to affect the tempo of a game at any given point.

Exactly as I see it too....Samsonov on the line w/Cole and Staal seems like a perfect fit, but if Brindy and Sammy have chemistry, then keep them together...and that's what it looked like last night. Also, Sammy's speed and puck handling might give Brindy a break as he's been the grinder on his line all year (along w/Justin, when Willie was healthy; I think he was nicked up a bit before his injury). That way Brindy can get back to dishing and going to the net more often. Stiller or Whitney have and will work nicely on either of those two lines...but as somebody said earlier Stiller like the cycle and lately Trevor has been a beast when cycling down low...Ladd always works well down low, so I see lines that look something like this:

Cole/Staal/Samsonov or Ladd

Stiller or Whitney/Brindy/Samsonov or Letowski (give the guy props for his efforts as of late)

Stiller or Whitney/Letowski/Ladd or Hamilton

Adams/Hamilton/LaRose

Quite frankly a third line of Whitney (moving up and down lines), Letwoski, and Hamilton would be quicker than most top lines....with Whit and Hammy's passing skills this would be fun to watch....

Just a couple of ideas to throw out....regardless to get back on topic it did seem like the lines were juggled a lot last night (given the injuries and the Flu, that's understandable) and the guys seemed more comfortable than they've been in a while....just my two cents.

My only problem with this game is that once again, Cole has been off. He keeps trying the same move against the D, only to fail constantly. He's also trying the drop pass when there's no one behind him. Wish he would get back to his old form.

Stillman's starting to disappear as well.

It is almost like the year before the lockout. He has that one move and it gets him no where. In that year, he got shut down 99.9% of the time. Same as this year. He had more movement in 2006 after rest.

If I were in Lavi's shoes and I had all of my forwards healthy this is how the lines would look:

Cole/Staal/Whitney

Samsonov/Cullen/Stillman

Walker/Brindy/Ladd

Pick your three from: Hamilton,Letowski,Adams,Larose,Brookbank

I thought the biggest thing Samsonov brought was he opened up the ice as these guys have been getting into a big cluster**** in their scoring end in the past 10 games if, and only if, they can get the puck in that zone. He brings the puck over the blue line instead of dump and chase and he moves left to right with speed and puck-handling skills......at least he did last night. "Not does one season make from one game" but they looked much better.

I do think the JG send down has helped shaped this teams mental picture and this team has that blood on their back and they know it for shotty Defense at all positions They ended a career of a teammate and they know they could be next.

As far as Cole, I have watched him and been a fan since the first day he showed up in a Canes uniform but he has to improve his play or................

"This was not a 1-0 game in my mind," Boston coach Claude Julien said. "They were by far the better team tonight."

N&O

I'm siding with Julien on this one.

Instead of coming out and going for broke, or looking confused and not really sure what everyone's responsibilities are like we have done in so many games already, I thought this time around the guys looked very focused on playing a smart AND disciplined game. Granted, it didn't look all that pretty at first with all those little momentum changes going on but hey, if it bags us a win I'm all for it.

I felt the second period was again our best one. Now that Staal doesn't (have to?) hit everything in sight anymore he has really stepped in with his production to give us a chance every night. Sami at least looked like he fit right in with Brindy and his puck handling skill gives us a few more options on how we care to enter the zone but, let's see what the next 4 or 5 games tell about him.

I thought everyone had a good game last night. Other than the obvious notables Staal and Cam, I saw a lot of good things from Letowski, Sami, Rosie and even Wallin and Kaberle. This is the first time in a while that I'm actually looking forward to the next game. Bring on the Devils.

Last night was more of what we have been seeing lately, a solid defense-minded game and good goaltending. It is interesting, but with our abysmal run in December coincinding with poor defense and poor goaltending, the team needed to focus on defensive issues. With the injuries to our scorers, the coach has had no choice but to put a huge focus on team defense, close checking and trying to get some goaltending. It has worked. Ironically, if we get some of our offensive talent back, this attention to defense may cary over with very good result.

Cam Ward: very solid. If this keeps up we will be playoff bound.

Eric Staal: Took this game.

Samsonov: On the one hand we have lots guys who can skate, work hard and not score, on the other hand they don't skate and handle the puck like this guy. Lots of upside, little downside. Looked pretty good last night. Cautiously optimstic.

Nice win on the road with Williams, Cullen, Whitney out, Ladd playing injured. Playing one of the hottest goalies in the NHL.

Nice win.

Samsonov was our best puck handler last night (Staal was a distant second). He's also among the best skaters as well. If he plays the rest of the season like he did last night, he'll be a top-6 guy for the rest of the season. Of course, it was only one game. At least he doesn't fall down like our guys have a tendency to do. Was there something wrong with the ice last night? We have guys losing their edge all over the place it seems.