The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacfromappstate

How to get the fans more involved.

They've got a College Night every month, which is nice. But what area would the student section be? A big problem of this is that if it were close to the ice, you'd have a hard time getting it full of college students every game because, as we are all aware, us college students don't exactly have the most disposable income available.

no its definitely not just you App

going to UND, Ive experienced MANY hockey games with a student section, surrounded by yelling, screaming, and jumping for joy game after game and its unreal. would love for us to get something like that going. but it wont work, unless they ahve college prices for every game. cause you know us college students....we are broke...lol

After attending a game in Philly (there over xmas), we were a bit shocked. Team comes out? We stood up to "blend in" and we were the only ones. The team was winning, it was an exciting game, and the fans were nowhere near as loud. My beef isn't with the fans. It is with the organization as a whole. Also, there are going to be some obvious differences between college and professional games. As a paying customer, sorry, I'm not keen on paying double the amount of money of those around me for the same seats. College night? Okay. Every game? Eh.

After seeing that game in Philly, I realized that the organization is lacking in many ways (for example, we have how many military bases around here? Wachovia honored two soldiers that night and apparently they make a habit out of it) but the fans aren't lacking in noise.

im kind of confused about Kim's post. so you went to a flyers game and the fans weren't loud? and you stood out bc you were the ones that stood up? but then you say the fan's ARENT lacking in noise? are you refering to the canes fans that arent lacking in noise or the philly fans? also, seems like we honor a lot of local HEROES (cops and firemen and what not) every night ive gone.

I've been to six regular season games this year at the RBC and the Canes have lost all of them. I started out enthusiastic and cheering a lot. The past two games I just sat there expecting a poor performance and a loss and they didn't disappoint me in that regard. It's good to get out of the house. It would be better to actually see the Canes win at home.

Hello eveyone,

As my first post, I'd like to add that exciting games (aside from winning) will bring the fans back time after time. I'm a college student in Wilmington at UNCW, and I try to take advantage of all the college nights the Canes have to offer. That's one incentive. Consequently, exciting home games will always leave me wanting more and subsequently bring me back. I've been to 5 games this season and the Canes have only lost two of them. Most importantly, I brought my mother with me to the Toronto game in which the Canes came back from a 2-0 deficit with less than two minutes to play. As a result, my mother would love to go to more games after that experience when she could easily stay home and watch it on tv (rather than freezing inside the RBC Center). Point is, exciting home games keep the current fans coming and also create more caniacs in the process.

One last thing - Better advertisement/commercials. I don't know if Time Warner produces their commercials, but they need a drastic change. How about making quality commercials that don't look cheesy and cheap? Also, make them digital or high quality because they seriously remind me of my local news... Granted, I did love the impeach the Senators commercial. By the way, once the commercials change and the numbers go up, the Hurricanes owe me a check...

A lot of the noise seems to generate from the 3rd level in the end zones. I was at the game on Twednesday night and those sections were relatively empty and there was a huge difference in the noise level. I think our fans do a great job. I was in Washington for the Thanksgiving weekend game "the debacle in DC" and their house is dead. They didn't even have anyone singing the National Anthem and this is DC within shouting distance of the Capital. I think sometimes the jumbotron folks try to get the crowd going too early after a stoppage. They should wait til just before the action is about to begin.

A lot of the noise seems to generate from the 3rd level in the end zones. I was at the game on Twednesday night and those sections were relatively empty and there was a huge difference in the noise level. I think our fans do a great job. I was in Washington for the Thanksgiving weekend game "the debacle in DC" and their house is dead. They didn't even have anyone singing the National Anthem and this is DC within shouting distance of the Capital. I think sometimes the jumbotron folks try to get the crowd going too early after a stoppage. They should wait til just before the action is about to begin.

Being a college student it would be nice if they had a designated part of the arena for college students. Just to see how much energy we can generate. Every time me and friend from State go we (only know a few at state that are interested in hockey) try to get different places in the arena. Last time we sat in 220, and it was dead up there. We were trying to get our section going, but to little avail. We went to a previous game and we sat in a 300 in a corner zone. I don't remember where it was exactly, but it was really exciting being in the 300s. Even at the horrible Ottawa game the 300s were staying until the end and cheering their *edited* off. From now on when I get tickets its going to be 300s, maybe a one off in the 100s, but 9/10 times in the 300s.

As much as I'd like this idea to work, it wouldn't. Yeah, they'd all be there to cheer for the Canes, but college rivalries die hard. There'd be no way State/UNC/Duke/ECU students could sit together, especially if alchohol is involved.

As much as I'd like this idea to work, it wouldn't. Yeah, they'd all be there to cheer for the Canes, but college rivalries die hard. There'd be no way State/UNC/Duke/ECU students could sit together, especially if alchohol is involved.

I agree with you totally.

Though I do find it rather fun going to Canes games with an ECU hat and sweatshirt on. I get lots of strange looks and comments behind my back. :lol:

I'm sure if it were anything but a Canes game, things would be much worse. The RBC Center isn't really all that neutral of grounds, after all.

Putting that mix all together in a small area on a consistent basis would only be asking for problems.

As for what could help, they really do a decent job with what they have. They've got all kinds of great promotions for everyone to take advantage of. Maybe not for every game, but for enough to help out a whole lot.

I only wish that the Canes' minor league teams were based much closer around where all of us could watch the development of prospects a lot better than we currently do, and those of us who live outside the Raleigh area might be able to do more to support the Canes by attending those games more easily than we can the Canes games. After all, nothing gets fans into hockey more than actually going to games. Nothing against Max or other Rats or Blades fans, just I feel it would really strengthen fan support in the area here.

im kind of confused about Kim's post. so you went to a flyers game and the fans weren't loud? and you stood out bc you were the ones that stood up? but then you say the fan's ARENT lacking in noise? are you refering to the canes fans that arent lacking in noise or the philly fans? also, seems like we honor a lot of local HEROES (cops and firemen and what not) every night ive gone.

Raleigh fans aren't lacking in noise which was what was implied in the OP. If by honor, you mean "rush a local person towards the camera and have about 30 seconds to say 'lookit this person - their name is on the jumbotron'" as "honoring", I guess you are right. I guess when you see the genuine thing, though, you realize what you're missing.

Point being - the Canes fans are loud, involved and ready to cheer on their team despite the Canes organization not giving all they could.