The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NYRWANTSTHECUP

If everyone was healthy with the new addition of Samsonov...

What would be the lines & defensive pairings?

I'll speculate. Why not?

Staal/Whitney/Cole with Commodore and Gleason

Brindy/Stillman/Laad(Samsonov if he proves himself) With Hedican and Seidenberg

Cullen/Walker/Letwoski With Kaberle and Wallin

Adams/Hamilton/Larose With Wesley and Tanabe(Borer if he continues to play well)

hmm the IR is so long nowadays I don't think I can remember who all we're missing ;) j/k... sorta

ahhhh

Brindy/Walker/Williams

Staal/Cole/Stillman

Cullen/Whitney/Samsonov

Hamilton/LaRose/Ladd

Borer/Wesley

Gleason/Wallin

Seidenberg/Commodore

I guess that's what I'd like to see

Hard to say here.....but I'll go with:

Cole-Staal-Samsonov

Whitney-Cullen-Stillman

Ladd-Brind'Amour-Walker

Larose-Letowski/Aucoin-Adams/Nolan

Gleason-Commodore

Wesley-Borer

Wallin-Seidenberg

Kabs, Heds, and Tanabe on the outside looking in...but thats just me.

Here is why I think each should be as is.

1st: I think Sammy needs a chance to be a helper with Staal. I think the dynamic of those 2 together could work MUCH better than Brindy. Cole is also a fast skater, but lacks the puck control.

2nd: Cullen, when he gets back, needs a promotion. Brindy hasnt been doing squat, and Cullen, when he has been healthy, has been an assist machine.

3rd: Brindy has been mediocre and invisible lately. He needs a dose of reality. Bump him down and play Walker with him, since they looked fairly good together before Walks got injured.

4th: here, well, its pretty much whoever is left. Nolan I don't see staying. He has been invisible since his first game and a half. But so has Adams. send Nolan back down, keep Aucoin, scratch Adams.

with the defense, well this is hard. Gleason/Commodore is one of the best pairings I have seem chemistry wise all season. Wesley should stay with Borer as they look great together, and Borer can learn alot more from Wes than anyone else. And yes, I think he stays. He has already proven alot and already looks better than my bottom 3. Little plays, aggressiveness, and physicality have been present with him and hasnt with the others. Wallin has been much better lately, and Seids has looked solid as well.

Hard to say here.....but I'll go with:

Cole-Staal-Samsonov

Whitney-Cullen-Stillman

Ladd-Brind'Amour-Walker

Larose-Letowski/Aucoin-Adams/Nolan

Gleason-Commodore

Wesley-Borer

Wallin-Seidenberg

Kabs, Heds, and Tanabe on the outside looking in...but thats just me.

Here is why I think each should be as is.

1st: I think Sammy needs a chance to be a helper with Staal. I think the dynamic of those 2 together could work MUCH better than Brindy. Cole is also a fast skater, but lacks the puck control.

2nd: Cullen, when he gets back, needs a promotion. Brindy hasnt been doing squat, and Cullen, when he has been healthy, has been an assist machine.

3rd: Brindy has been mediocre and invisible lately. He needs a dose of reality. Bump him down and play Walker with him, since they looked fairly good together before Walks got injured.

4th: here, well, its pretty much whoever is left. Nolan I don't see staying. He has been invisible since his first game and a half. But so has Adams. send Nolan back down, keep Aucoin, scratch Adams.

with the defense, well this is hard. Gleason/Commodore is one of the best pairings I have seem chemistry wise all season. Wesley should stay with Borer as they look great together, and Borer can learn alot more from Wes than anyone else. And yes, I think he stays. He has already proven alot and already looks better than my bottom 3. Little plays, aggressiveness, and physicality have been present with him and hasnt with the others. Wallin has been much better lately, and Seids has looked solid as well.

I have a feeling that when all defensemen are healthy, Kaberle is going to get the John Grahame treatment...

I like

Stillman-Brindy-Whitney

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Ladd-Cullen-Walker

Adams-Letowski/Hamilton-LaRose

Defensive:

Gleason/Commodore

Hedican/Wallin

Wesley/Seidenberg

Borer rotating in for the older guys to get them rest Seidenberg was terrible last night, but he does lead our defensmen in scoring (12 assists, I believe).

Stillman- Brindy- Whitney (although this line really should be broken up, Lavi has too much faith in it still)

Ladd- Staal- Cole

Samsonov- Cullen- Walker

Adams-Letowski- LaRose (and this is where LaRose belongs, so i hope he stays there for the rest of the season)

Defense:

Gleason- Commodore

Hedican- Seidenberg

Wallin-Wesley

Which means we may not see Kaberle when we get healthy on defense. Unfortunately I doubt we'll see borer either, but he'll definitely be earn a spot once Hedican or Wesley retires.

First off if all the forwards were healthy someone would be on the trading block, or Ladd would be in the minors because of his two way deal since that's the only way to make the roster space work with one way contracts. That being said I'll stick Ladd in the minors since I can't predict trades.

Forwards (other than the 4th line I could see just about any jumble of the top 9)

Cole-Staal-Stillman

Williams-Brindamour-Samsonov

Whitney-Cullen-Walker

Hamilton-Adams-LaRose

Letowski in the press box.

Roster space is also a problem on D so some are headed to Albany or the trading block.

Defense (I'm not going to pick parings just list a top 6 in no particular order)

Wesley

Commodore

Wallin

Gleason

Hedican

Seidenberg

Kaberle and Tanabe in the press box

To the minors

Borer (I just don't see the numbers playing in his favor. If he is going to play every night by all means he should stay up, but if he's slated for press box time he should go back to Albany.)

What it should be...

Williams-Brindy-Stillman

Cole-Staal-Samsonov

Whitney-Cullen-Ladd

Walker-Adams-LaRose

Commodore-Gleason

Hedican-Wallin

Seidenberg-Wesley

Hamilton, Letowski, and Kaberle all healthy scratches and serious trade bait...

Oh, and lets not forget the youngsters coming up... In the near future, we're going to need to make room for players like Borer, Nolan, and Sutter. Borer will probably fill in for Hedican or Wesley (whoever retires first) but getting both Nolan and Sutter into the lineup will be a challenge in the coming years. Bottom line is, we have too many quality forwards on this team... Its a nice problem to have because you can certainly trade one or two away for some quality on the blue line and still have plenty to work with on the offensive side, but it brings up the tough circumstance of having to choose who stays and who goes.

I would run 11 Forwards and 7 Defensemen, being that you can only dress 18 skaters. :)

Offense...(11 Forwards)

Line 1: Staal/Cole/LaRose

Line 2: Brind'Amour/J. Williams/Stillman

Line 3: Cullen/Hamilton/Whitney

Line 4: Ladd/Walker

Healthy Scratches: Samsonov/Aucoin - which both could give Ladd and Walker a break from time to time or a needed change of pace.

(I would cut Letowski and Adams...they don't impress me...send them down to Albany)

Defense...(7 Defensemen)

Line 1: Commodore/Gleason

Line 2: Wesley/Kaberle

Line 3: Borer/Seidenberg

Line 4: Brookbank

Healthy Scratch: Hedican - can give Brookbank a break when needed

(I would cut Tanabe and Wallin...they don't impress me at all (actually they make me sick!!) send them down to Albany)

Goalies...2 Goalies

Goalie: Ward

Backup: Leighton

I'd be embarrassed to think I have a clue which forwards and D-men should be paired. I'll take a chance and say who I think should be on different lines. Williams, Whitney, Sammy, and Cullen are all good puck handlers and can carry the puck in and back out if need be. Cole, Ladd, Adams, and ? are tough guys in front of the net and appear to be mean forecheckers. Staal, Walker, Stillman, Brindy, can rip it and muck it up on the boards. I like Letowski more and more and he is becoming a tough guy to deal with on the PK. Adams in my book is similar to Brookbank on the forward line.

D-men? Easier to pair them up than say who should not pair. The wily vet with the new kid, The others? I'm clueless. I don't like Kaberle. Has he ever hit anybody. Thanks to Tanabe for filling in. Dennis and Tim look and act like I perceive D-men to be -- tough and willing to take one for the team. I just wish K Adams was still around. Big mistake letting him go IMNSHO.

Blah, blah, blah.

Now can or will anyone give a new guy the run down on what the functions of the 3 lines are and why is a move to the 2nd or 3rd line from the 1st or 2nd considered to be by some a demotion? If this hi-jacks the thread forgive me.

What it should be...

Williams-Brindy-Stillman

Cole-Staal-Samsonov

Whitney-Cullen-Ladd

Walker-Adams-LaRose

Commodore-Gleason

Hedican-Wallin

Seidenberg-Wesley

That's probably the lineup I'd go with. I dunno about that first line, considering each of those players (Williams before the injury included) have gone so long without doing anything, but it makes sense.

Samsonov's still an enigma to me. Yeah, we've seen he can be fancy with the puck, but there are other times where he just seems lost out there. Could have just been the Jersey game (where EVERYONE seemed lost).

That's probably the lineup I'd go with. I dunno about that first line, considering each of those players (Williams before the injury included) have gone so long without doing anything, but it makes sense.

Samsonov's still an enigma to me. Yeah, we've seen he can be fancy with the puck, but there are other times where he just seems lost out there. Could have just been the Jersey game (where EVERYONE seemed lost).

Yeah with those lines I tried to pair it so you'd have at least one puck mover and one more physical player on each forward line. Then, with the defense I had to pair it that way. You can't have Wallin paired with either Commodore or Wesley or you're committing hockey suicide. After that, you have to just base it on which of the puck movers you can pair with each stay-at-home d-man. You don't want Seidenberg and Wallin paired together and you don't want Wesley and Hedican paired together, but you can afford to have Gleason and Commodore paired. So when you take that all into consideration, it just works itself out.

And yes, I know I left Tanabe off the lines, but that has more to do with the fact I think he should have never been re-acquired in the first place and I'd just as rather not see him on the ice.

First off I am Surprised how quicky everyone is to diregard or throw Chad Larose on to the 4th line , he has been the only consistent Hurricane all season in terms of ustle and effort and has proved to be a spark for both the Brindy or Staal lines when playing with them.

Leaving Williams out of the equation

Stillman / Staal / Cole

Larose / Brindy / Samsonov

Whitney / Cullen / Walker

Ladd / Hamilton /

Gleason / Commodore

Wesley / Borer

Seidenbereg / Hedican

Tanabe

Healtthy extra's would be Adams and Kaberle

First off I am Surprised how quicky everyone is to diregard or throw Chad Larose on to the 4th line , he has been the only consistent Hurricane all season in terms of ustle and effort and has proved to be a spark for both the Brindy or Staal lines when playing with them.

Stillman / Staal / Cole

Ladd / Hamilton /

Gleason / Commodore

Wesley / Borer

Seidenbereg / Hedican

Tanabe

Your description of LaRose's play is true but it's the very definition of a 4th line energy player. He doesn't have the physical game to create space for his linemates or the skill to back off the D. He has had innumerable high-quality scoring chances that he just can't convert. It's like batting a guy with warning track power in the cleanup spot. ;)

I like your D pairings but I'd move Whitney back to the Staal line, put Ladd on the 3rd line, move LaRose to the 4th, and put Stiller on Brindy's line. I'd also go with 6 D and have Adams or Letowski fill out the 4th line.

Stillman / Staal / Cole

Ladd / Hamilton /

Gleason / Commodore

Wesley / Borer

Seidenbereg / Hedican

Tanabe

No... IF you were going to play LaRose on one of the top 3 lines, you need to pair him with some finishers. He is great at hard work, but he doesn't put the puck into the net himself. he creates the chances that lead to those goals, but he struggles to actually put the puck into the net himself. And as of right now, pairing him with Samsonov would be like putting 2 of those players together. That, and Brindy just hasn't showed me this season that he can be the type of grinder that will really benefit from playing with a LaRose...

Stillman/Brindy/Williams

Cole/Staal/Samsonov

Whitney/Cullen/Walker

Ladd/Hamilton/Letowski. 4th line is hard to pick because LaRose has great energy and PK skills, yet Letowkski is just as good.

Wesley/Gleason,

Borer/Hedican,

Wallin/Commodore

Tanabe

Ward

Leighton

Healthy Scratches: LaRose, Kaberle

I could really see anybody being paired with anybody on Defense, most of our guys seem worthy to be top 4, with the exception of Kaberle.