The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Cullen's Status

That is great news! I thought he had a concusion and would be out for at least a week. I wonder what it is like to play with a broken nose? Do they allow some sort of face gaurd beyond the half-shield?

That is great news! I thought he had a concusion and would be out for at least a week. I wonder what it is like to play with a broken nose? Do they allow some sort of face gaurd beyond the half-shield?

If he and Ladd play they will need some sort of face shield, I think Wally has a couple of those laying around.

Yeah that *edited for language* Avery fractured his cheek bone, or orbital lobe, depending on where you get your news from, when the refs made a pathetic attempt to split them up. They basically held Ladd's arms while Avery punched him in the face, disgraceful.

Wow this is GREAT news. The way he was on the ice, sliding motionless, was almost sickening. I looked at my fiance and said "oh no this is not good Cullen is hurt bad" I was sure he would be out for a long time. Great for him that it wasnt that serious. Hoepfully we will have him back in a week?

GREAT!! Hamilton needs to step it up though for however long that Cullen is out for. This is a time when Rod, Staal, Cole and Ladd need to pick up the slack big time.

Well looks like its Letowski's time to shine. Appears he will be centering the 3rd line with Ladd/Nolan as his linemates.

Well looks like its Letowski's time to shine. Appears he will be centering the 3rd line with Ladd/Nolan as his linemates.

I think so too. Ladd played well with Letowski last time they played together. I still would rather have Matty back.

yea, Letowski has earned more ice-time anyways in my opinion, he's been working hard at even-strength. Hamilton should step up regardless of whether Matt is in the lineup or not. But he also needs someone who can dish him the puck for an open shot. People always cover him, cause after 20 games into the season people are already aware of his bomb and lack of playmaking ability, so might as well pressure him on the PP.

I sure hope he plays better than he did during the ranger game. Gomez stripped the puck from him for Jagr's second goal and I'm pretty sure Forslund called him out for missing coverage on the other Jagr goal.

Here's the latest update on Cullen(from the N&O blog):

Cullen's cleared to play, Laviolette said, but he won't play against the Bruins. Laviolette said it could be a few days before Cullen, who was knocked out by New York's Colton Orr on Wednesday, returns to the lineup.

"I really think he's just foggy," Laviolette said. "He needs to let his head air out for a few days. I'd rather be safe than sorry."

I feel for Matt. I got my nose broken with an elbow that caught me under the half shield in a recreational league game a few years ago. I was on heavy-duty painkillers and sitting on the couch watching tv for several agonizing days. I recently had surgery to fix a deviated septum (probably caused by the injury). It was even worse. If Matt plays tonight, he gets my iron-man vote.

So I guess from the lack of any suspension to Avery that he was deemed not to have struck the linesman? So he sucker punches Ladd while his arms are being held by the official and all he gets is missing the last two minutes of the game? Yep that's the NHL for you. I still remember Yuri Fischer cross checking one of the Canes (was it Cullen?) in the mouth right in front of the ref back in the 2002 finals. You could see the tooth go flying on tv. And the ref made no call. Hey, they're 'hockeytown' so they get extra slack right? The league at least reviewed the tape and made the one-game suspension.

The league is headed backwards toward caveman hockey by not taking any action here. They're more concerned with Panthers' whining about Justin Williams' alleged diving than with concussions and broken necks.

Here's the latest update on Cullen(from the N&O blog):

Well if he was unconsious then it definitely was a concusion, but then how could he be cleared to play? I thought there was a one week minimum rest after a concussion. Assuming that's what he meant by "knocked out".

Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said he would have more neuro-psyche tests

The Canes neuropsychologist is a good one as he is also my doc.

From Wikipedia:

Concussion is classified into five grades

The mildest, grade I, involves only confusion.[9]

Grade II involves anterograde amnesia that lasts less than five minutes as well as confusion.

Grade III involves the symptoms above, as well as retrograde amnesia and unconsciousness for less than five minutes.[9]

Grade IV involves all of the above symptoms, as well as unconsciousness that lasts between 5 and 10 minutes.[9]

Grade V is the same as grade IV, but with unconsciousness lasting longer than ten minutes.

The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) guidelines make it clear that permanent brain injury can occur with either Grade 2 or Grade 3 concussion. Thus, it is clear that subtle brain injury can have permanent consequences if the acute symptoms of the concussion continue for more than 15 minutes.

Loss of consciousness occurs in less than 10% of concussions; in the rest, the patient experiences only a transient reduction in alertness for a short time

Was he actually unconscious or just stunned (cobwebs) and slow to get up? I heard from my doctor that a broken nose could easily be accompanied by a grade 1 concussion.

You can also be knocked unconscious without sustaining a concussion. By the same token, he might not have been unconscious. I fell off a horse and landed hard, and because it was unexpected, I was too stunned to move at first. I wasn't actually hurt, I was just stunned. Matt might have been stunned by the impact but took the brunt of the impact to his nose rather than his brain.

You can also be knocked unconscious without sustaining a concussion. By the same token, he might not have been unconscious. I fell off a horse and landed hard, and because it was unexpected, I was too stunned to move at first. I wasn't actually hurt, I was just stunned. Matt might have been stunned by the impact but took the brunt of the impact to his nose rather than his brain.

He looked like he was knocked unconcious to me cause he didn't even try to brace his fall, but I guess we really don't know.

He looked like he was knocked unconcious to me cause he didn't even try to brace his fall, but I guess we really don't know.

yeah i thought that at first as well, but a few more looks at it and I wonder if he just let himself fall and slide to make sure he didnt hurt himself anymore ya know? who knows. I am sure if he had been, it would have shown up on a test, or he woudl have told someone and it would have been taken into consideration.

It's pretty clear he was unconcious before he hit the ice guys. Would anyone let themselves fall face first and not put out there hands to protect themselves? I don't think he could've even stopped his reflexes but if you watch it he just went straight down, arms at his sides. That's where he broke his nose, so if he "let himself fall and slide to make sure he didn't hurt himself anymore" it kinda backfired haha

It's pretty clear he was unconcious before he hit the ice guys. Would anyone let themselves fall face first and not put out there hands to protect themselves? I don't think he could've even stopped his reflexes but if you watch it he just went straight down, arms at his sides. That's where he broke his nose, so if he "let himself fall and slide to make sure he didn't hurt himself anymore" it kinda backfired haha

actualy, yeah I went back and looked at it again, and you are right. that is odd. his faced just smashed into the ice like it wasnt even there.....sheesh. well, yeah he must have been.