The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rollinsox007

What to do with Cam Ward?

He's 23.... most goalies dont come into thier own until thier 26 or 27. We have no defense and play a style that allows odd man rushs every 2 minutes. Leighton let up 3 goals in his debut and the one goal he did up the next night sucked to. But the difference in game #2 was defensemen bailed Leighton out BIG TIME. Leighton was way out of the goal on 2 shots and easily could have let up 3 goals in both games but the D showed up.

Teams gonna suck as long as our D is absolutely mediocre. Our problem is our teams built to score 6 goals a game and pray we only let up 5. Dont mistake our defensive issues for goalie woes.

This is why I didnt like bringing Cullen back when we coulda used 3 mil on a D-man in the offseason, obviously cullen has been a great addition but we still needed D then...and we do now.

Oh and Wards numbers are actually better this year then last year and no one at any point suggested this last year :blink:

Wow, talk about taking things to the extreme. Leighton's played 2 games up here (which again, isn't enough to give him priority over Ward) and he's actually HAD a defense playing in front of him.

Trading Ward is commiting career suicide, because as soon as that happens, JR's getting fired, and probably Lavi too, just for good measure.

He's hardly looked stellar, but it's more about the style of play Carolina (and really, the entire division) plays. The complete lack of a competent defenseman doesn't help the situation.

Ward is okay...

It's easy to be Brodeur when you have defense playing in front of you.

Rest of team sucks more than goalie. We have a mediocre, one dimensional squad.

Ward is okay...

It's easy to be Brodeur when you have defense playing in front of you.

Rest of team sucks more than goalie. We have a mediocre, one dimensional squad.

That one dimension is and has been failing terribly for a while, not sure how were still up there in the GA column.

It had hope tonight but the Defense failed...

I dont want to trade Cam but he's got to be our best player right now and he's not. He made saves in the first period he had no business saving and then in the 3rd, even though the defense slacked off, he gave up way to many rebounds. The injuries are a big part of this, but Cam has to play consistent in the net and he's just not. Some nights he just looks more comfortable than others, I just dont understand how he can play so good against a strong Boston team and then give up 5 against a deflated teeam much like our selves. Neither goaltender look that good tonight but Cam was way better than Jose until the last 10 minutes and we have nothing to show for it not even a point. We have no cofidence on this team and we just suck right now plain and simple

I know it may seem a little crazy to trade Ward and I knew that a lot of people would still be against it, but I really don't think this team has the right make up to be very good for the rest of this year or next. They've played stagnant, inconsistent hockey for a year and half now and Ward has been just as inconsistent as anyone. I also know that we've hardly seen any of Leighton, but he was the best goalie in all of the AHL when he was called up and right now I don't think Ward could do as well as he could.

Trading Ward is just a radical suggestion, but this team needs to right the ship and a major roster shakeup may be the only way.

I know it may seem a little crazy to trade Ward and I knew that a lot of people would still be against it, but I really don't think this team has the right make up to be very good for the rest of this year or next. They've played stagnant, inconsistent hockey for a year and half now and Ward has been just as inconsistent as anyone. I also know that we've hardly seen any of Leighton, but he was the best goalie in all of the AHL when he was called up and right now I don't think Ward could do as well as he could.

Trading Ward is just a radical suggestion, but this team needs to right the ship and a major roster shakeup may be the only way.

There's your answer right there. The entire team has been inconsistent. Why single Ward out?

And do you think that, if for some crazy reason, Leighton suddenly starts a bunch of games, he'll be given any more help? He'd be just as inconsistent as Ward.

We tried the major shakeup by sending Grahame down and bringing Leighton up. It worked for a game or 2, but now we're back to the same stuff as before.

I think we should single Ward out because when a team begins to struggle a goalie needs to be a stopper, and if not a stopper then at least demonstrate some consistent play. He's been awful in two straight third periods. He and Cole have probable been the two most inconsistent players over the last season and half. He really hasn't improved all that much since a season ago. A lot of people chalked last season up to a Cup hangover, but this season shows that last season was much more than that.

The goalie is probably the least responsible for losses. Their play is directly effected by the team in front of them, and obviously if you've got a team that's as inconsistent as ours, Ward's play is going to be inconsistent as well. There's been a couple of instances like this. Last season we beat Washington 6-2 on Friday, lose 7-3 to Washington on Saturday. This season, lose 1-0 to St. Louis, win 1-0 against Boston. We have two different teams that could take the ice at the start of each game.

If someone needs to step up and lead this team, it should be Brindamour. He did get that "C" for a reason, and it's times like these where he needs to show why he was given that honor.

Awful defense = poor-looking goalies. I thought Ward was a complete mixed bag tonite, as bosox mentioned...great 1st and then downhill from there...but our D was just as bad all nite long...so many chances RIGHT in front of Ward...I agree though that Ward isn't getting the job done either...at best he's only seems to be an "ok" #1 NHL goalie...he is young so I don't mind giving him more time...bascially imo we need a major defensive overhaul and then can judge Ward appropriately...I wanna see how he does with a solid D corps in front of him...doesn't have to be great but just gets the job done...like in our Cup run...good at key moments...just like Ward was good at the key moments. I think right now Cam could be stealing games for us...but he's not there yet and it's just too much to ask him to be superman at this point.

Not only has Wardo been playing inconsistent so has the the entire team. The line & netminder changes was only a short term fix. Perhaps the Thrashers or Panthers leading the division will wake up the team and they will finally turn the corner.

this is just my opinion . but you know what should have happened... even though cam was stellar during the playoffs . they should have resigned gerber and let cam have another year to develop his game as the back up.. i think they put too much pressure on him and he has cracked..and look at how gerber is playing now.

True, our defense has been mediocre, that is one reason you have a goalie. Last night against Colorado, our defense played well enough to win with four goals on the scoreboard. Cam let in two goals in the third period because he failed to control his rebounds and almost let in another by bobbling the puck in the crease. This not the first game the Canes have lost when going into the third with a lead and not the first game where the goalie (Grahme or Cam) allowed stoppable goals when the game was on the the line. Bottom line, Cam is supposed to be an NHL quality goalie but he is not playing up to NHL standards. As to what to to with Cam, we may be stuck with him for the rest of the season. The only way to improve our GAA will be to allow the opposition no SOG, and that is not going to happen. True, other players have to step up also, but the puck has to stop with Cam. Whenever you score four goals in a game, you should win with just average NHL goal tending. We have lost a few games this season after scoring four goals.

True, our defense has been mediocre, that is one reason you have a goalie. Last night against Colorado, our defense played well enough to win with four goals on the scoreboard. Cam let in two goals in the third period because he failed to control his rebounds and almost let in another by bobbling the puck in the crease. This not the first game the Canes have lost when going into the third with a lead and not the first game where the goalie (Grahme or Cam) allowed stoppable goals when the game was on the the line. Bottom line, Cam is supposed to be an NHL quality goalie but he is not playing up to NHL standards. As to what to to with Cam, we may be stuck with him for the rest of the season. The only way to improve our GAA will be to allow the opposition no SOG, and that is not going to happen. True, other players have to step up also, but the puck has to stop with Cam. Whenever you score four goals in a game, you should win with just average NHL goal tending. We have lost a few games this season after scoring four goals.

You seriously can not blame this loss on Ward. Was he great? No. But why is every goal against scored by an unchecked opponent standing right in front of the net? Why?? Our TEAM defense is way too soft, bottom line. Guys are allowed to stand there with a cup of coffee and knock in rebounds, or get 3-4 whacks at a loose puck.

No, Cam wasn't great tonight (though he did keep them in the game in the first period), but our Defense is beyond awful.

While I certainly don't think it is time to give up on Ward, I think it is time to look for a veteran goaltender to split the #1 job with him. As someone else stated, I wish we would have spent the money two years ago to keep Gerber around and have him and Ward split the duties 50%. If Ward continued to show the type of ability he showed in the '05-'06 playoffs, you make him the out-right #1 goaltender this year and we use Gerber as a bargaining chip in a trade to improve a weakness.

In free agency, Curtis Joseph is still on the market. From a report I read on TSN he has narrowed his decision down to either Calgary or San Jose, but if he was promised a larger role than merely a back-up job he may listen to other offers. I think he is the #1 guy I target if I am Rutherford.

Ward is only 23-years-old, but how many other 23-year-olds are on our roster? With a crop of forwards and defensemen clearly built to win now, that's exactly what we need to do.

Let's see, Justin Williams, Matt Cullen, Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Trevor Letowski, Bret Hedican, Glen Wesley, David Tanabe (probably missed someone else) are all out and we're going to throw our 23 year old, Conn Smythe winning goalie under the bus.

[/size

I agree that Cam Ward has been inconsistent this year; however, in my view, the loss last night was a pathetic job by the defense of protecting a lead. As far as I am concerned, it is the job of the defense with a lead to make intelligent decisions about making passes and to protect against breakaways. I would characterize last night as a shocking display of indifference by the defense. The book on the Hurricanes by opponents is to hit them hard and they will wilt. New Jersey plays the way the Hurricanes played in 2005-2006. The Hurricanes now are playing like the Atlanta Falcons -- dazed and confused. There were bright notes, I thought. The younger players from Albany showed poise and grit. Samsonov has been a great find. He and Cole make a dangerous team on the ice. I suspect one could chart which shifts were on the ice and where the goals occur and there would be an unmistakable pattern. Certain shifts lack balance on the ice and give up positioning to their opponents. Those shifts get out-hit by a huge margin and give up breakaways with remarkable regularity. Maybe a ride to Albany and a few bus trips might wake up some of those players.

I dont know,Im starting to have thoughts of getting rid of Ward too...I wanna know why the guys on his knees 3min before a shot is even taken,and look at that goal last night from behind the net,I say if he would stand up for oohhh I dont know maybe 10mins of the hockey game it probably would have ended 4-2,but Ward is on his knees way to much...

The biggest mistake that this franchise has made is letting Martin Gerber go. Martin Gerber is a solid NHL #1 goalie. Ward is not a #1 goalie, he ran on adrenaline in the playoffs in '06 & it was unfortunate that Gerber was sick. If not for Gerber, we wouldn't have been put in the position to win the Stanley Cup in the regular season. We had the ability to win 8-9 straight games with Gerber in net, that is impossible with Ward. Ward is way too inconsistent. We treated Gerber poorly, acted like he wasn't worth what he wanted to be paid, overpaid a worthless John Grahame & gave Cam Ward way too much money when in reality he shouldn't be a starting goaltender. He's a quality backup, but at this point in his career, he shouldn't be your #1 guy.

Come on, I'm sorry, but you can't be serious. Cam Ward is 23! Let me bring up some stats. Roberto Luongo is arguably the best goalie in the league. These are all major league stats.

Luongo

Age GP W L T OTL

20 24 7 14 1 ---

22 47 12 24 7 ---

23 58 16 33 4 ---

24 65 20 34 7 ---

25 73 25 33 14 ---

26 75 35 30 --- 9

27 76 47 22 --- 6

Ward

GP W L OTL

21 28 14 8 0

22 60 30 21 6

23 35 17 14 6 (partial year)

Look how long it took luongo to develop. I can't believe how people are suggesting that he should be traded.

Ward could be playing better, but look at what leads to the goals (I mean freakin watch the replays on a lot of goals against)

> turnovers in our own end and failure to clear the puck when we have the chance

> most of the defensemen are out of position, allowing attackers to move in front of them to pop in juicy rebounds

> forwards are not coming back to help (I won't mention any names, but a high-end center we have who leads the team in goals, and whom so many people think is so freakin good at both ends of the ice - usually coasts back on defense and then comes down low to help the D in the slot only after the red light is turned on - here's a hint: he's a minus 6)

> and yep, too many juicy rebounds

> the worst PK in the league

Can't blame the injuries. The defense problem is centered around guys like Wallin, Kaberle, Gleason and Commodore -- these guys didn't just get off the bus!!!!

The Canes won't be making the playoffs playing like this. Atlanta will no doubt hit a hot streak (two points back with two games in hand!) and the Canes will find themselves in 11th, 12th, 13th place so fast it will make their heads spin.

The biggest mistake that this franchise has made is letting Martin Gerber go. Martin Gerber is a solid NHL #1 goalie. Ward is not a #1 goalie, he ran on adrenaline in the playoffs in '06 & it was unfortunate that Gerber was sick. If not for Gerber, we wouldn't have been put in the position to win the Stanley Cup in the regular season. We had the ability to win 8-9 straight games with Gerber in net, that is impossible with Ward. Ward is way too inconsistent. We treated Gerber poorly, acted like he wasn't worth what he wanted to be paid, overpaid a worthless John Grahame & gave Cam Ward way too much money when in reality he shouldn't be a starting goaltender. He's a quality backup, but at this point in his career, he shouldn't be your #1 guy.

It's a little early to be wanting to dump Cam Ward here people.... we won't know how good he can be until the team in front of him starts to play better.

Bringing up Gerber is ridiculous. Look at his numbers.... last year with Ottawa he had a 2.78 GAA and .906 sv %, and with us the year before that it was exactly the same... and those two teams were a great deal better than the one we are putting on the ice now.

The Canes need to fix their team defense first, then see how Ward is doing. Last night, that game could have been 3-0 Colorado 7 minutes in if not for Ward.

The difference is that in the first period, the saves he made were on shots from the circles and slot, etc. In the 3rd, he made those same saves but the Avs figured out they could camp guys out in front of him and not be touched. That's what happened last night.

With our game plan, goalies will never have stellar numbers as we give up alot of chances. But if we can learn to penalty kill and clear guys out in front of our net, then things may turn around. Until then, we'll keep seeing this....