The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Flanker05

Briere declines Slugs' offer

Bon voyage ... I'll miss the and1 moves and 95 pts a year but not the video where he says I'll take a discount then the same month change his mind.

Really looking forward to see what team is lured into spending 7 million a year to get him. Sorry Danny, George Steinbrener doesn't own a hockey team :o

Good thing I didn't get his name on my jersey...

In reality though, he is taking a discount at $5 mil/year x 5 years. That is what he wanted last year and then he came back and matched his career high in goals and surpassed his previous career high points total by 30. That is worthy of a raise, especially when you see what a guy like Hartnell got.

If I'm a Buffalo fan, I wouldn't break the bank to sign him because more grit is needed than goal scoring but I think it's unfair to call him out on the discount angle. If you are angry at someone, blame Regier and Quinn. They could have had him sign this deal last year but they passed.

If you want my opinion on Regier look at my sig. Although he has done a great job in scouting players and assembled an excellent crop of young players Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Miller he's not a complete GM unless you can negotiate too. The last 2 years has shown he's clearly failed at that.

Hoyle- Why don't you want Briere? Save the money for Souray or you want Bonk back as Center??????

A) I don't like Briere's style of of hockey. His name practically screams....Daniel "dipsy doodle-oops i got a boo boo" Briere.

B ) Montreal DOESN'T need another tiny centerman

C) Briere will more then likely choke under the severe pressure in Montreal. It's bad enough they harass kovalev as bad as they do. When you're french and playing for the Habs they demand even more.

D) I'm tired of the Montreal Gazette's blind assumption that EVERY available french or Montreal-born player is dying to dawn a Habs jersey. I love my Habs and I enjoy french players, but over the past 5 years, the Montreal media has pretended Lecavalier, St Louis, Brodeur, Angelo Esposito, Mario Lemieux, Giugere, Gagne, were all at one point close to coming to Montreal.....when in reality none of them were probably even serious negotiations. It's cool that Montreal's surrounding area gets excited about acquiring one of their own, but unlike the "flying frenchman" of the 70s, managing with your heart doesn't always get you places today.

I can see Gainey signing him simply to get the Montreal media off his bad for passing up Esposito in the draft.

A) I don't like Briere's style of of hockey. His name practically screams....Daniel "dipsy doodle-oops i got a boo boo" Briere.

B ) Montreal DOESN'T need another tiny centerman

C) Briere will more then likely choke under the severe pressure in Montreal. It's bad enough they harass kovalev as bad as they do. When you're french and playing for the Habs they demand even more.

D) I'm tired of the Montreal Gazette's blind assumption that EVERY available french or Montreal-born player is dying to dawn a Habs jersey. I love my Habs and I enjoy french players, but over the past 5 years, the Montreal media has pretended Lecavalier, St Louis, Brodeur, Angelo Esposito, Mario Lemieux, Giugere, Gagne, were all at one point close to coming to Montreal.....when in reality none of them were probably even serious negotiations. It's cool that Montreal's surrounding area gets excited about acquiring one of their own, but unlike the "flying frenchman" of the 70s, managing with your heart doesn't always get you places today.

I can see Gainey signing him simply to get the Montreal media off his bad for passing up Esposito in the draft.

I totally and completely agree with everything you just said Hoyle. Of course, I liked him while he was a Sabre, he scored goals and thats all I really cared about. He was not one of my favorite players, he really annoyed me with all his whining and diving, and the word "back-check" was not in his vocabulary. Some team is gonna over pay him, and in the long run, I think, they're going to regret it.

I say, see ya later Briere. I'm gonna boo you when you're in our building.

Drury, on the other hand...I don't want to see go. I love everything about the guy, and I want him to stay a Sabre. But, it obviously doesn't look like that will happen. If I were the GM, I'd give the guy as much money as he wanted. But when we do lose him, he will still be one of my favorite players in the league, and I wish the best for him. And I will definitely give him a standing-O when he plays at HSBC.

But yeah, av revoir Danny boy.

Darcy Regier is a joke. :angry:

LaFontaine, Peca, Hasek, and now Briere and Drury.

I'm sick of this. Darcy doesn't spend to the cap because "he wants to turn a profit."

Well Darcy if you want to make money you need high attendence. If you want high attendence your team needs to be GOOD. The Sabres will be contender for the next 2-3 years. Why not spend the extra money?

If Buffalo's ever going to win a championship we need a GM that will realize that winning the CUpis more important then turning a profit.

(I know turning a profit is important but knowing how crazy Buffalo is about hockey right now we should do all right. We just need our team to be good)

I'm sick of this. Darcy doesn't spend to the cap because "he wants to turn a profit."

Well Darcy if you want to make money you need high attendence. If you want high attendence your team needs to be GOOD. The Sabres will be contender for the next 2-3 years. Why not spend the extra money?

If Buffalo's ever going to win a championship we need a GM that will realize that winning the CUpis more important then turning a profit.

(I know turning a profit is important but knowing how crazy Buffalo is about hockey right now we should do all right. We just need our team to be good)

You guys filled your arena, sold tons of merchandise and had three rounds of playoff revenue. The salary cap was raised enough to sign both these captains. Is it possible that Drury and Briere are voluntarily ready to move on to another team and city. Or maybe the Sabres are looking to take their team in a different direction since what they were doing didn't get them the championship, twice? Just a thought....

You guys filled your arena, sold tons of merchandise and had three rounds of playoff revenue. The salary cap was raised enough to sign both these captains. Is it possible that Drury and Briere are voluntarily ready to move on to another team and city. Or maybe the Sabres are looking to take their team in a different direction since what they were doing didn't get them the championship, twice? Just a thought....

If Buffalo's ever going to win a championship we need a GM that will realize that winning the Cups more important then turning a profit.

I kinda see your point.

Well a lot of people are saying that we lost this year because of a lack of size and physical grit. Especially on defense. I so badly wish that instead of Briere and Drury we could get rid of Kalinin and Spacek to bring in some big strong defensemen with grit.

But Briere and Drury were very important to the sucess of this franchise. If we could keep them they would help us win the cup.

Thomas Vanek is the franchise player on that team.

I'm with Hoyle. Vanek is the future, and will replace Briere's points. Drury is the one I'd do anything to sign, and bring in some grittier and tougher player with Briere's money. But that's just me.

Thomas Vanek is the franchise player on that team.

I'm with Hoyle. Vanek is the future, and will replace Briere's points. Drury is the one I'd do anything to sign, and bring in some grittier and tougher player with Briere's money. But that's just me.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who actually likes Darcy Regier. People seem to forget that he's the one who got us these guys in the first place...who would you rather have right now - Rhett Warrener or Chris Drury? Chris Gratton or Daniel Briere?

And yes, Vanek is the key in this whole situation. And depending on what happens to the cap in the future, couldn't it also be possible that if we lock up Briere and Drury now with huge chunks of cash for long terms it could end up costing us when we need to resign guys like Vanek and Miller in the next few years? I am a huge Drury fan and it will hurt to see him leave tomorrow if that is how it ends up, but you have to think long term.

If I was a fan of Buffalo, it would hurt more to loose Drury than Briere. IMHO, Drury is more of a leader than Briere and I think Buffalo needs Drury more than Briere. I would do all I could to keep Drury.

As far as Vanek, he is like the Canes Staal. He's the franchise player of that team and I'm sure Reiger will match any offer that is given to Vanek. Although, I do have to criticize him for not getting him signed before July 1. He should have really been the #1 priority. By not getting him signed before tomorrow could spell the reason if they loose both captains cause Reiger will have to spend alot to keep him cause the offers for him will be close to $4 mil if they in fact come.

However, if both captains are lost, I'm sure Reiger has someone else in mind to sign that can step in and be the leader for that team.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who actually likes Darcy Regier. People seem to forget that he's the one who got us these guys in the first place...who would you rather have right now - Rhett Warrener or Chris Drury? Chris Gratton or Daniel Briere?

And yes, Vanek is the key in this whole situation. And depending on what happens to the cap in the future, couldn't it also be possible that if we lock up Briere and Drury now with huge chunks of cash for long terms it could end up costing us when we need to resign guys like Vanek and Miller in the next few years? I am a huge Drury fan and it will hurt to see him leave tomorrow if that is how it ends up, but you have to think long term.

Ok.

I've been upset with Regier this offseason but I guess we got to remember what he did accomplish. We got to 4 Eastern Conference Championships since he became GM. (almost 5. In 2001 we were less then a miniute away from putting away Pittsburgh)

I agree with Vanek being the franchise player. But you could also argue that Drew Stafford as a franchise player. I really wish that the Sarbes put him in during the Ottawa series.

Even if we lose Briere & Drury we're still going to have Vanek, Stafford, Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville

SORRY CANES FANS WE WILL NOT SUCK NEXT YEAR

Stafford a franchise player????? What?! How could you argue that? A Kid who's played how many, 40 games in the NHL be a franchise player. Not at all or even close to being one. A franchise player is someone who stands out as a leader (Drury) or someone with an excessive amout of talent (Vanek). Stafford is good, upcoming but franchise? That's like giving Conklin the captaincy because he's played in a Stanley Cup game.

No one really expects you to suck. The loss of Briere and Drury will definitely knock you down a couple pegs on the "threat scale" though. If you lose them both, you're about where the Canes are. Dominating the sellers and threatening the buyers.

Ok. Never mind. Stafford is really good and will keep the Sabres an elite club for years to come.

But Vanek is our franchise player

Vanek is very good but another good season might be in order before you slap a franchise label on his forehead.

Stafford is solid and will get his chance this year. All of the forwards are good, but don't forget about the defense.

You guys never really replaced McKee, and defensively, the Sabres needed help before he left. Especially if Teppo

retires and someone gets hurt. I'd recommend getting a physical D-man along the lines of Sutton, or Vaananen.

Buffalo was a mild irritant in the way of Pittsburgh in 2001. The Penguins own Hasek :P

Vanek was labelled a franchise player in his rookie season....

Franchise players aren't necessarily leaders or the best on the team all the time. They're simply players you can build a team around for many years. Vanek either is or will be that.

Other examples of franchise players would be Eric Staal, Thomas Kaberle, Jarome Iginla, Jason Spezza, Rick Nash and obviously Crosby or Ovechkin.