The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
EastNC-Caniac

Question about Skate w/ the Canes

Coletrain and Walker 24 I'm also in the Blue Line Group

We should all see who is in each others groups and plan on looking for each other.

I will be there too as will cupcrazy and inStaal!!

I'm in the Green Goalie Group!

... but also am getting 2 tickets for other people and are not positive they are in the same group.. if they aren't, would anyone in the Green Goalie Group be willing to exchange for whichever group I have?

If interested, PM me for more info.

Hey, i heard from a reliable source that this year's Skate with the Canes is going to be a little different. If you don't have on skates, you don't get on the ice. I've read on here several people saying that you have been able to walk on the ice to meet the players in the past, not this year.

Do you have to have your own skates, or do they have some there for people to wear? I know this sounds like a really stupid question cause I know it's not the ice house where you can rent skates, but I heard they do have them there?????

Do you have to have your own skates, or do they have some there for people to wear? I know this sounds like a really stupid question cause I know it's not the ice house where you can rent skates, but I heard they do have them there?????

Last year they did have some skate for loaners, but not all that many.

Hey, i heard from a reliable source that this year's Skate with the Canes is going to be a little different. If you don't have on skates, you don't get on the ice. I've read on here several people saying that you have been able to walk on the ice to meet the players in the past, not this year.

Yeah, I heard that too. I've walked on the ice in the past, but all it takes is one person complaining, and it spoils everythign for everyone else. Looks like we'll be leaving early. I'm not gonna go to sit and watch. After messing up my foot and it not healing properly, skating just isn't in my line up of things to do. This really stinks. :angry:

Fortunately, I am in the blue group, so I'm hoping I can meet all the guys I want to before the skate. I'm just very disappointed with this. Nothing like singling out people who can't, or don't want to skate. :angry:

Yeah, I heard that too. I've walked on the ice in the past, but all it takes is one person complaining, and it spoils everythign for everyone else. Looks like we'll be leaving early. I'm not gonna go to sit and watch. After messing up my foot and it not healing properly, skating just isn't in my line up of things to do. This really stinks. :angry:

Fortunately, I am in the blue group, so I'm hoping I can meet all the guys I want to before the skate. I'm just very disappointed with this. Nothing like singling out people who can't, or don't want to skate. :angry:

Before we get too off track. Here is the real skinny(off the CHBlog) Note the words in BOLD. This does not indicate mandatory sitting.

"This year, we are taking down the glass around the north end and allowing anyone who does not want to skate the opportunity to sit front row (with no glass) or on the team benches. In year

I don't really blame them changing that part up. It does seem pretty dangerous to have kids/adults skating along with people walking. I could see alot of collisions.

I'm not a skater, but I might throw on a pair if they have my size. If not, I'll go sit and watch my nephew tear the ice up and take pictures. Hopefully the guys will be understanding of the ones who just don't know how and will come over and talk to the people that can't get out there.

Last year they did have some skate for loaners, but not all that many.

Thanks for the info. I really hope I can get a pair. I really want to be out there with them. even though I've only ice skated twice, I know I'm comfortable enough on them......*except for the stopping thing* :unsure:

1) More detail on all 3 parts?

There are really two parts from my experience. The skate and the autograph session are just in different locations ;) The quickest one is the pictures part where you have two groups of guys and smile for the camera (your camera, someone on the storm squad takes the picture). We got a tour of the locker room but at the time only Hedican was in there and he scurried out (is it something we said?). Last year we did the skate last and by that time, no one put on skates with exception of the players.

2) Will I get all of the Hurricanes autographs?

Probably not. The photo session is QUICK and they didn't allow anyone to stop for autographs (that I knew of).

3) Can you sneak autographs during the non-auto sessions?

During the skate, yes.

4) How do they split up the players? Do they rotate or what?

They don't have the same players doing all three sessions. For example, last year we had Rod, LaRose, about 4 other players and some coaching staff in autographs. In the picture session we had Wesley, Whitney, Belanger, Williams, and about 10 other guys (I have pictures so I can check - just don't remember). Then in the next session, you may see Rod skating and Cole in the pictures. The most amount of players will be in the photo session. Then in the skate we had Cole, Commodore, Cam Ward, some coaching staff and a couple of other players (who are gone now). We lucked out because we had Cole and Commodore jerseys so we were able to have them signed at the skating portion. It was much nicer and less crowded on the ice than in any other section, IMO. Sounds like they are changing it up but that's how it worked last year.

My son and I went to Skate with the Canes last season and really enjoyed it. I felt it was well worth the $50.00 we spent. Our only gripe was that during the skating phase it became very congested for the skaters with all the walkers on the ice. It seems like a nice way to handle it would be to segregate groups as skaters and non-skaters which would still give the non skaters the awesome experience of being on the the ice without being in the way of the skaters. Just like when you go out to eat and are asked smoking or non-smoking, when buying tickets for SWC ask skater or non-skater.

After all the "free food" my son gulped down, (Free ice cream, pop corn, pizza sodas etc) especially at RBC Center prices we actually made out quite well.

WE ARE IN THE GREEN GOLIE GROUP!

anybody going to stay for the battle of the badges that night, we are planning on staying for it....GO BLUE LINERS!!!

Leatherheads Rule!!!! See ya there. ;)

Skate with the Canes was GREAT!!! It is very unstressful too. Most of the things you go to you wonder if you are gonna get to see all the players and everyone is all in the way and being rude, but it was very nice and relaxing!

There were a few Canes missing, Wesley and Whitney (probably still out with the FLU) Williams, which I am a little surprised at that, but almost all of the guys were there and very very nice! Doesn't Letowski have the FLU too? He wasn't there either.

LaRose was a hoot like always! I must say Wallin and Adams are quite funny too! I told Hedican that I love his singing and his girls are just too precious and that made his face light up! Very pround papa! When I saw Cole I asked him if I could give him a great big hug, cause I've jusy always wanted to, and he said sure and hugged me back! Wallin and Adams were part of our autograph session and being naughty boys, but I won't go there. They were just picking. Samsonov is very small. Borer very tall! I was also surprised to see that Ladd didn't have a black and blue eye, I thought it would still be. We asked Commodore if we could get a picture of him checking us into the boards, but he wouldn't, he said he is really sore and we may kick his butt :lol:

It was a great experience and the guys seemed happy to be there.

The only part that kinda sucked was the autograph session IMO, because it doesn't give you enough one on one, it was just like, here sign this please, thanks, ok...next.

Def. will try to go again next year!

Oh my gosh, what an experience. I'm still reeling from excitement. Everyone was so nice, and seemed to be having fun with the fans.

In the first group, i was so excited to see Bret Hedican that i completely forgot to say hello to Cullen, Brind'amour and Cam! I hugged Bret three times, told him what a huge fan i was, and walked off after the photo was taken. I heard Brindy say "Well there are three other guys over here"...... HA HA HA..... By then, the next group had sat down with them for the photo and it was too late. I didn't even shake their hands or hug them, i can't believe it. Talk about focused! Bret was my goal, and no one else was in the room! Now i could shoot myself!!!!!

I was a little disappointed that if you got their photos, you couldn't get their autographs.... and if you got their autographs, no photos. But i understand they had to push the people along or it would last 10 hours.

In my opinion, the non-skaters got a great deal. I stood at the players bench, and while all the skaters were putting their gear on, we were all talking to the players and getting autographs, they lined up for us right away. PERFECT......

What a day.

I too had a blast and will defiently try to do again. My nephew had a smile on his face the whole time, it was great.

We had the locker room/photo session first. They really pushed you through the locker room really fast, wish was kind of disappointing. While we were in line waiting for the photos, Brind'Amour's phone rang so he answered it and he looks at the storm squad girl and goes "hold on, i'm on the phone" told the person on the other end he was busy and then hung up. He gave us a pretty good laugh. At the fake locker room we had Brindy, Cullen, Cam and Hedican. Then we went to get pictures with Chad, Seidenberg, Brookbank and McCarthy and Chad was telling me how he keeps seeing white spots in his eyes b/c of all the flashes :lol:

Then we went and got autographs and there we had Borer, Samsonov, Walker, Nolan, Lavi, some dude I don't know, Gleason and Cole. Well I had a 8x10 picture of Gleason that I took during warm ups and gave him to sign. He says "that's an awesome picture" the he slides the picture over to Cole and says "dude check out that handsome guy" so Cole is like really studying it and he's like "it looks like you were actually looking at the camera" and then Gleason goes "how do you know I wasn't" :lol: If anyone was in the blue group, who was that dude sitting next to Lavi?

Then we got to save the best part for last and skate. We got to skate with Staal, Adams, Leighton, Wallin, Kaberle, Stillman, Hamilton, Ladd and I know I'm missing people.

Anyway we had a great time and I was very surprised at how organized everything was.

This day... was amazing.

Yes it was, the only autograph's i didn't get were the guys at the Photo Op. The funny moment for me was when cupcrazy asked Brindy where she should sit and he said "where ever you want" and she plopped down on his lap!! I took a few of those if you want them!!

I too had a blast and will defiently try to do again. My nephew had a smile on his face the whole time, it was great.

We had the locker room/photo session first. They really pushed you through the locker room really fast, wish was kind of disappointing. While we were in line waiting for the photos, Brind'Amour's phone rang so he answered it and he looks at the storm squad girl and goes "hold on, i'm on the phone" told the person on the other end he was busy and then hung up. He gave us a pretty good laugh. At the fake locker room we had Brindy, Cullen, Cam and Hedican. Then we went to get pictures with Chad, Seidenberg, Brookbank and McCarthy and Chad was telling me how he keeps seeing white spots in his eyes b/c of all the flashes :lol:

Then we went and got autographs and there we had Borer, Samsonov, Walker, Nolan, Lavi, some dude I don't know, Gleason and Cole. Well I had a 8x10 picture of Gleason that I took during warm ups and gave him to sign. He says "that's an awesome picture" the he slides the picture over to Cole and says "dude check out that handsome guy" so Cole is like really studying it and he's like "it looks like you were actually looking at the camera" and then Gleason goes "how do you know I wasn't" :lol: If anyone was in the blue group, who was that dude sitting next to Lavi?

Then we got to save the best part for last and skate. We got to skate with Staal, Adams, Leighton, Wallin, Kaberle, Stillman, Hamilton, Ladd and I know I'm missing people.

Anyway we had a great time and I was very surprised at how organized everything was.

They would only let you get one thing autographed so i took my hurricanes laptop with me and got it autographed, the only signatures it is missing is the photo op guys.