The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Post Game Analysis 1/17-Sens

Well said...no need to go in-depth too much because good lord I don't think anyone can miss how bad the team is now. Tonite I finally saw why Kaberle has been dissed so much over the last few months...I mean yea I knew he was having his troubles before but I've always liked the guy and had just hoped he'd get his act together...well screw that. He was AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL...I can't even call him a hockey "player" anymore...more like "bystander." Don't send Borer down, JR...send Kaberle! UGHHHHHHH. In other news, the team showed no character tonite (again) and completely looked like they had no idea that the Sens could move the puck so well...totally mesmerized by their play...funny guys that at one point YOU could actually play like that...remember??? No? I'm not surprised. I can't even remember the last time we played like a team, both offensively and defensively.

I also find it amusing to watch how well Gerber is playing, and to only be able to think about what he could be doing for us right now instead of the Ottawa Senators. My what a long two years it seems to have been since he won games for us.

Wow, what a complete game. It's been a while since we've seen a team like this, but they finally decide to show up. Just a few special notes:

1. Our defense - Talk about a shutdown defense. They were doing everything right. Blocking shots, keeping the shots at wide angles, not giving up any 2-on-1's. Just an overall solid defensive effort. Kudos.

2. While the entire defense was great, Hedican was just unbelievable. You know he's a good defenseman when you can't tell when he's on the ice. And very disciplined as well. Didn't take any stupid, unnecessary penalties or get caught out of position. Great job.

3. Our offense. Wow, talk about sniping. They seemed to find every little hole in Gerber and just sliced the puck right through it. We were cautious with the puck, waiting for a lane to open, and not turning it over. And the forwards backchecked really well also.

My only complaint tonight is with Craig Adams. Did not play a good game tonight. He seemed invisible all night. Not a good night for him. Maybe we should start thinking about trading him.

Well said...no need to go in-depth too much because good lord I don't think anyone can miss how bad the team is now. Tonite I finally saw why Kaberle has been dissed so much over the last few months...I mean yea I knew he was having his troubles before but I've always liked the guy and had just hoped he'd get his act together...well screw that. He was AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL...I can't even call him a hockey "player" anymore...more like "bystander." Don't send Borer down, JR...send Kaberle! UGHHHHHHH. In other news, the team showed no character tonite (again) and completely looked like they had no idea that the Sens could move the puck so well...totally mesmerized by their play...funny guys that at one point YOU could actually play like that...remember??? No? I'm not surprised. I can't even remember the last time we played like a team, both offensively and defensively.

I also find it amusing to watch how well Gerber is playing, and to only be able to think about what he could be doing for us right now instead of the Ottawa Senators. My what a long two years it seems to have been since he won games for us.

You think Gerber would look good in playing behind this team? LOL

Luongo wouldn't look good playing behind this team.

Ward, Leighton, Grahame haven't been great. But good Lord the chances we allow... its ridiculous.

He's playing so well b/c he has a team in front of him. Our goalies have crap in front of them. Watch the other teams. Their players come back and help the goalie all the time. When the play is in our end, where are our guys, not helping the goalie their all spread out picking their noses. Notice all the red in front of Gerber tonight, notice how when Gerber makes the first initial safe, he's got a guy in red to clean up the rebound. When Cam makes the first intial save, no one is there so he is forced to make the 2nd save, which half the time he can't make b/c making the first save put him out of position to make the 2nd save.

I used to think our goalies needed to get better, but its very clear, it doesn't matter who is in goal, you put this team in front of them and they'll look like crap too and give up 4-5 goals a game.

In a word, disgusting.

Not really sure if it is possible to turn over the puck more than they did tonight. Thought Walker had some nice drive, but Hedican looked horrible. At least he gave Commie a night off from the box. The dude is done. Coming back this year was a big question, and I think that has fully been answered at this point. That's not to discredit his accomplishments, and I completely understand how rough the game has been on his body, but seriously, I think it's time to hang those skates. He's getting schooled at every damn turn.

Watching the Ottawa broadcast (I live in NYC, so Center Ice for me full-time), they were questioning why Lavi would have left Cam in there for the third. Had to laugh. For consistency's sake in the headgames department, he defintely should have pulled him and not told him why. Think he would guess?

My only hope is that this will add a little momentum to the wheels set in motion today with the Adams move.

You think Gerber would look good in playing behind this team? LOL

Luongo wouldn't look good playing behind this team.

Ward, Leighton, Grahame haven't been great. But good Lord the chances we allow... its ridiculous.

Like Cam has been excellent this year? I agree with you wholeheartedly (sp?)...but I also think it's ludicrous to say that getting rid of Gerber and only having Cam was a good idea...it hasn't worked at all. I think Cam can be a GREAT goaltender who has tremendous upside still...but the fact is we kept a team after the cup that was still talented and still wanted more...we needed a goaltender to hold the fort down and Cam hasn't exactly done that yet. I think he still has a great future with us, but at the same time he wasn't ready for the big load.

But yea you're all right about the defense...it is the worst part right now...has been this whole year. Cam would be doing fine probably with at least a marginally ok defense...instead of what he has right now. I concede my argument lol.

Like Cam has been excellent this year? I agree with you wholeheartedly (sp?)...but I also think it's ludicrous to say that getting rid of Gerber and only having Cam was a good idea...it hasn't worked at all. I think Cam can be a GREAT goaltender who has tremendous upside still...but the fact is we kept a team after the cup that was still talented and still wanted more...we needed a goaltender to hold the fort down and Cam hasn't exactly done that yet. I think he still has a great future with us, but at the same time he wasn't ready for the big load.

Not what I said.. I said they all (Ward included) haven't been great.

My point was it really doesn't matter who we put back there at this point.

No one would be good the way the team in front of them play.

but the fact is we kept a team after the cup that was still talented and still wanted more

You really think so? b/c I've seen zero hunger in this team -- as a TEAM -- since they won the Cup.

Like I said in another forum, maybe we got rid of Gerber too soon and rushed Cam in too early. He is very young and rushing him in might have been the wrong thing to do. Th goalie is like the qb in football-takes all the blame for the loss, and too much credit for the win. Our team needs an overhall in every position. We need to get younger and more agressive.

Topshelf I disagree about the first goal, the OTT player cocked back to shoot the puck and what does Brindy do, he watches him instead on the smart idea of putting a stick in the shooting lane. It's been a long night so if you disagree, don't flame me lol

Topshelf I disagree about the first goal, the OTT player cocked back to shoot the puck and what does Brindy do, he watches him instead on the smart idea of putting a stick in the shooting lane. It's been a long night so if you disagree, don't flame me lol

No worries, I'm not in the flaming business! Wesley was at the open side of the net anticipating the rebound. It was at his feet when he turned to look for Vermette.

No worries, I'm not in the flaming business! Wesley was at the open side of the net anticipating the rebound. It was at his feet when he turned to look for Vermette.

I never questioned Brindy untill that moent. it was a team effort :lol:

And like IceFrog said, and OUTSTANDING one at that!! :rolleyes::P

You Said It! We keep this up...number one draft pick lol

But in all seriousness, we could end up like the 06 Oiler's

If the answer is yes -- that at least makes us the best at SOMETHING!!!

We have been down this road way too much for my comfort. We are either very good or terrible-we have become the Florida Marlins of hockey. God have mercy on our soul...