The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Post Game Analysis 1/17-Sens

We have been down this road way too much for my comfort. We are either very good or terrible-we have become the Florida Marlins of hockey. God have mercy on our soul...

Or the Buffalo Bills from this past season..think about it...we show promise, only to lose badly.

We had most of our mainline players, the Sens were missing Heatly and for much of the game Alfredson. We were rested, and the GM had just traded a long time player and basically called out the team and the coach. And yet we were completely schooled by a team missing it's top two players. I don't know if we are the worst in the league, but we are clearly a long ways from the best.

We are a small market team-always will be. We will not pull the trigger on a big time trade (when whas the last one, Brindy?). We will not spend the big time $ needed to maintain what we have when we are strong. We will go thru periods of turmoil and shorter periods of joy. I now live in Atlanta and the Trash fans do not support their team. Canes fans should take pride in the fan base we have built. I was a 5 year season ticket holder and loved every minute-the good and bad.

Wow, what a complete game. It's been a while since we've seen a team like this, but they finally decide to show up. Just a few special notes:

1. Our defense - Talk about a shutdown defense. They were doing everything right. Blocking shots, keeping the shots at wide angles, not giving up any 2-on-1's. Just an overall solid defensive effort. Kudos.

2. While the entire defense was great, Hedican was just unbelievable. You know he's a good defenseman when you can't tell when he's on the ice. And very disciplined as well. Didn't take any stupid, unnecessary penalties or get caught out of position. Great job.

3. Our offense. Wow, talk about sniping. They seemed to find every little hole in Gerber and just sliced the puck right through it. We were cautious with the puck, waiting for a lane to open, and not turning it over. And the forwards backchecked really well also.

My only complaint tonight is with Craig Adams. Did not play a good game tonight. He seemed invisible all night. Not a good night for him. Maybe we should start thinking about trading him.

You're killing me!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!

Notice all the red in front of Gerber tonight, notice how when Gerber makes the first initial safe, he's got a guy in red to clean up the rebound. When Cam makes the first intial save, no one is there so he is forced to make the 2nd save, which half the time he can't make b/c making the first save put him out of position to make the 2nd save.

When d-men are in front of Cam, like Wesley tonight or Gleason on other occasions earlier in the season, they actually knock the puck in. It's a no win situation for us at this point. Nothing we're doing is working. I see no way out of this mess. Lavi couldn't pull Cam after the 4th goal because of all the crap that's happened last game. Lavi was criticized in the beginning of the season for hanging our goalie's out to dry and not making switches soon enough or at all. Then he does in Toronto and it blows up like a road side bomb in his face. Kind of how Maurice was working his goalies in the beginning of the year.

In a word, disgusting. Hedican looked horrible. At least he gave Commie a night off from the box. The dude is done. Coming back this year was a big question, and I think that has fully been answered at this point. That's not to discredit his accomplishments, and I completely understand how rough the game has been on his body, but seriously, I think it's time to hang those skates. He's getting schooled at every damn turn.

It appears that the knee is not quite up to snuff. Pretty desperate to put a guy in who's not able to play.

Are we the worst team in hockey right now?

Eye-firmative. Even the LA Kings could beat us now. Hell, the Mighty Mites may be able to force an OT.

We had most of our mainline players, the Sens were missing Heatly and for much of the game Alfredson. We were rested, and the GM had just traded a long time player and basically called out the team and the coach. And yet we were completely schooled by a team missing it's top two players. I don't know if we are the worst in the league, but we are clearly a long ways from the best.

Watching the game tonight, we played a better offensive game than the other night in Toronto or last week's home loss to NJ. The TEAM defense continues to cause problems. Ward is not playing great but his play is certainly tough when facing shooting galleries, odd man rushes galore, and no one to clear out bodies/rebounds in front of the net. I was better with this result than 2 of the last 3 games. Cole and Staal looked good tonight. Brind'Amour, Stillman, Kaberle continue to struggle mightily. Walker, Cullen, and Hedican will get better with each game back. The next 3 games before the All-Star break are crucial - have to get 4 points at worst.

Still feel the likeliest to be traded are Stillman, Cole, and then Commodore.

If team goes into sell mode, would need to consider trading the Captain for a big return.

Anbody ever wondered with Sean Hill being here before and getting into trouble with performance-enhancing drugs, could any of our players been on these and with the Mitchell report that came out this year, our performance has tanked. Less physicality, less intensity, more apathy - all things that steroids and HGH can help overcome. Our slew of injuries could also me related. Likely a far out conspiracy theory but an interesting one anyway.

Im a long time canes fan, but up here in vancouver, I dont get to watch them on TV (one to two games per year, not including playoffs) but I listen to every game on the internet, and it frustrates the hell out of me how awful we've been playing this year. You guys are seeing it, are the forwards just not coming back to play D?, are the Dmen not tough enough? I mean we give up way too many shots, way too many two on ones, and way too many second chances. We need to try and pick up a solid Dman, and a checking forward.... one of the offensives wingers might have to go to get this done. Oh and Cam Ward will be just fine as our number one, he looks bad on occasion, but all goalies do, but like some of you have mentioned, the Defense have to help the poor guy out. Go Canes!!

The Canes have become the joke of the league.

Got an unpleasant losing streak going? Next game against the Canes? Problem solved!

You really think so? b/c I've seen zero hunger in this team -- as a TEAM -- since they won the Cup.

I thought JR kept em together because they wanted more...but you're absolutely right...last year was awful in terms of night in/night out effort...but we gave them the edge in thinking it was just a SC hangover. This year started out great...but then ever since the effort and desire has been questionable...

Same old, same old. I think we showed way too much respect for the Sens and the dreaded second period, defense and our special teams were as disfunctional as usual. Add Cam's aggressive positioning and we got what we deserved. As for my own pet peeve about us not shooting high on butterfly goalies, I kept track of actual SOG and missed shots by both teams.

Canes: 28 low shots/attempts - 11 high shots/attempts

Sens: 19 low shots/attempts - 25 high shots/ attempts

No wonder we always make other butterfly goalies look good.

Our puck handling looks like a pee wee team, and we need to jettison 3-4 defensemen. Seidenberg was TERRBILE tonight. Gleason wasn't much better. Hedican, no comment.

Same old, same old. I think we showed way too much respect for the Sens and the dreaded second period, defense and our special teams were as disfunctional as usual. Add Cam's aggressive positioning and we got what we deserved. As for my own pet peeve about us not shooting high on butterfly goalies, I kept track of actual SOG and missed shots by both teams.

Canes: 28 low shots/attempts - 11 high shots/attempts

Sens: 19 low shots/attempts - 25 high shots/ attempts

No wonder we always make other butterfly goalies look good.

Thanks for the info about our high shots and puck handling. To me, it seems like we can't pick up the puck and shoot at all. Like, Jeff, I don't have the chance to see alot the Canes games but I recently watched the Wild vs. Coyotes game and the Wild beat the Yotes by mainly shooting over Brygzlov's (sorry) shoulder.

Something is fundamentally wrong with this team. Everything from offense, defense, special teams to goaltending is not gelling. I know its cheesy but what happened to the "its not about me but the guy in front me."

It seems like each player is trying too hard and getting nothing done. This doesn't mean that I think they work hard, just not trusting their team members to get it done.

How about forgetting about an offensive-puck moving D-men and get a great defensive d-men and a great puck-handling center/forward since we had 12 giveways tonight about as much hits we gave out? Those are easier to find and probably within our budget.

I was stuck at work again and did not get to see the game. But after reading this I feel sick to my stomach. Has any body seen my friend the Canes? Can you tell me where they have gone?

you know...i love the canes, always have. since the days of the whale!! but goodness sake...........i mean lately it's getting ridiculous. we haven't won 3 in a row all year and we've only won 2 in a row 3 times and even thats not been since the middle of dec. i think that we have a good team i just wish that it would show for a little while. c'mon guys, get your ____ together.

Wow....just awful. I watched up until the 4th goal then put in a DVD. It is embarrassing right now to read anything about hockey and think about how far we've fallen. We won the Cup because we had an amazing offense, strong work ethic and a defense that even though it lacked a super star was consistent and not one of the guys on the D was truly awful. We've now got a group of horrid defensemen with only two or three good ones, a goalie with no confidence, offensive players who just aren't playing because they know they will have to score 6 goals a game to have a shot and our coach and captain are no where to be seen.

It hurts to sit back and listen to something like 'The Rising' or watch clips of this team in '06. They all believed in each other and had the relentless attitude needed to win. This season started out great, but it appears that the defense really wasn't just a problem, but a fatal weakness. They got old fast and currently 1/3 of our blue line is dead weight (Kaberle/Hedican) and the other guys are a crap shoot. The offense was bad tonight, but it must be really discouraging to always be behind and always be trying to come back when you're just 5 minutes into the game a lot of the time.

I think everyone goes on consideration to be traded except for Staal, Cole, Stillman, Borer, Gleason, Williams, Cullen, maybe Ward and Whitney. Brind'Amour has dropped really far in my mind. It is understandable that his play would eventually drop off, ecspecially with Williams out, but he is just not a leader on the ice right now and hasn't been for months. It is easy to lead when you're winning.

Well i don't blame fans for being frustrated, but I'm not ready to look to next season, we do benefit from playing in a weak division, and there is still plenty of time to try and fight for that spot and take over.

Yes, i know its been 3 months (long ones as a spots fan). but I can't help but think about what was done in October, which means they are capable of doing better.

Defense left Cam hanging tonight, who didn't play bad at all. All the good chances were usually whiffed on or given to Kaberle, who either neglected to shoot or threw a weak wrister on goal.

Kaberle was soooo horrid that game, he was improving a bit, but Lavi gives him some responsibility despite not scoring in 61 game son the first PP unit. He never shoots when he gets an open shoot, and he is extremely predictable there and useless without a shot at the point. Although lavi seems to have faith in him 9no idea why), this game just sealed it, we gotta cut ties with this guy, put him on waivers an cut our losses we can't have a guy like that taking up $2.2 million of the salary cap.

This game he didn't shoot with a wide open chance, he didn't support his defense partner, and he is easily to knock off the puck and cause turnovers off of. So this game was a prime example of what a liability he is, if someone picks him up on waivers, good for them we'll pay for half the salary.

All in all, the bad penalties, defensive breakdowns by Gleason, Hedican and that awful giveaway by Staal just sucked the life out of everything. I honestly thought the canes would step up and prove us wrong this game as I saw everyone counted his as a loss before the game started. they showed no desire to win, and its very scary to see how they just gave up late in the 2nd period. Only guy busting their tail last night was Cole, Samsonov and Whitney, i guess, props to them.

Just some odd stats I picked up after this game upon looking at the whole year:

When we do NOT score in the first period: 4-19-1. Oddly enough, two of those wins are the only ones we have on the books in January, as well as the crazy comeback against Toronto les than a month ago. The fourth was the Vancouver game in October.

When we DO score in the first period: 18-4-3

First 23 games: we scored in the first period in 17 of them.

Last 26 games: we scored in the first period in 8 of them. Our record in those 8? 6-2-0

This is not whether we score first... only if we have put the puck in the net sometime in the first 20 minutes of play. Make of these numbers what you will.

ALSO OF NOTE:

Number of games we gave up 4+ goals in October-November: 6 out of 26 total games

Number of games we gave up 4+ goals since: 15 out of 23 total games

Number of games all year we have won while giving up 4+ goals: 1 (the shootout with Philadelphia)

Number of games we have scored 4+ goals: 22

Our record in those games: 17-5

Number of goals given up in the last four games: 19

Number of goals scored by Carolina in the eight games played in January: 19

thx for the stats Mike.

Our team defense is the obvious problem, and it starts with our defensemen. I'd start blowing them up starting with Kaberle. I like the guy a lot, but he has been dead weight all season and the time for hope and confidence-building has come and gone. I want to see JR move him out first, and bring in some fresh blood on our blueline.

I definitely agree with the sentiment of some earlier posters that our forwards are probably discouraged by the fact that they practically KNOW they will have to fight from behind all night in order to get a win. And we all know that when you try to force the issue and have to WORRY about scoring goals, the guys try to do too much and it almost always blows up in their face. Similar problem for our goalies - they have no confidence because there's nothing about our blueline that INSPIRES confidence. If you fix the blueline, you can build your goalies' confidence back up and take some pressure off the forwards so they can relax and score goals.

• Dump Kaberle for a bag of pucks. Put him on waivers if necessary.
  • We need Hedican to retire ASAP.
  • Wallin can't stay healthy, so maybe he should hang it up too.
  • Commodore - though a fan favorite - is back to good ole' mediocre Commodore - he isn't safe in my estimates either.
I'd say JR should try to keep:
  • Wesley - he has slowed down, but he stays healthy and is very dependable. He is also a leader on the team and the younger guys really need to feed off of his experience.
  • Borer - thank the good Lord he has heart and a good hockey brain. He has been playing excellent and should stay up for the rest of the season.
  • Gleason - he has his crappy games, but he is still young and we've seen him do nothing but improve since he arrived. We need to keep our younger Dmen and develop them. Gleason has a lot of promise.
  • Seidenberg - he has improved so much this year but the past few games where he's been paired with Kaberle has really hurt him. He has also been playing with an injured ankle apparently so his recent poor play can be excused in my estimation. Once he gets healthier and has a partner who isn't an orange traffic cone, he'll pick his good play back up and will drop any bad habits reformed while playing with Kaberle.
Outside of these 4 guys, our blueline can hit the road as far as I'm concerned, and McCarthy's job is in question too.

I love the Canes, always will, but we need major changes, asap.

edit: I updated my Canes' points graph and added a polynomial trendline to it to try and predict what point total the Canes are headed for on this season, and it is bleak. They're basically on the path to finish this season with 62 or so points, which is just a few wins above where Philly finished last season.

canes_points_gp.gif

Just a horrific game.

The high stick to Brindy was the turning point.

IF the penalty is called, you can almost wipe out the next three goals.

Power play would have lasted two minutes, because we wouldn't have scored.

(Fisher's goal would have been disallowed; Vermette's goal happened 1:03 later and Robitaille's goal was 1:20 after that)

I know Walker, Cullen and Hedican have to get back to playing, so I can almost excuse them a little (very little)

But the rest of the team defensively was horrible. Left Cam out to dry multiple times, to where he fell back into bad habits

of cheating to try to cover for the ineptitude of our team defense.

And I wouldn't say the Canes are the worst team in the League or Eastern Conference even.

Tampa is the worst Eastern Conference team and maybe the worst team overall

There seems to be signs of hope along this horrid path the Canes of taken...........granted not many. They are still only a point out of first in the division and within the same of about three or four other teams in the overall standings. I'm not ready to look at next year yet.

What are the chances of playing with just three lines most of the game? Like........

Cole/Samsonov/Brind'Amour

Stillman/Whitney/Staal

And then the infirmary line of Ladd/Walker/Cullen

Save the Letowski and Larose energy for penalty killing or late game checking assuming the Canes are actually leading. I just don't see those two contributing much offensively at even strength. Instead of double shifting I'd like to see the same combos out there more often. I just didn't like the double shifting against the Senators.

I don't know what to say about the defense.........not much went right there.

Crap........I can't even analyze this last game except it was ugly.

:huh:

There seems to be signs of hope along this horrid path the Canes of taken...........granted not many. They are still only a point out of first in the division and within the same of about three or four other teams in the overall standings. I'm not ready to look at next year yet.

What are the chances of playing with just three lines most of the game? Like........

Stillman/Whitney/Staal

And then the infirmary line of Ladd/Walker/Cullen

Save the Letowski and Larose energy for penalty killing or late game checking assuming the Canes are actually leading. I just don't see those two contributing much offensively at even strength. Instead of double shifting I'd like to see the same combos out there more often. I just didn't like the double shifting against the Senators.

I don't know what to say about the defense.........not much went right there.

Crap........I can't even analyze this last game except it was ugly.

:huh:

Letowski and LaRose looked pretty decent last night.

Both had really good scoring chances.

My lines would be:

Stillman/Ladd/Staal

Whitney/Walker/Cullen

Letowski/LaRose/Hamilton

Defense Pairings:

Hedican/Gleason

Commodore/Wallin

Wesley/Seidenberg

Wow, what a complete game. It's been a while since we've seen a team like this, but they finally decide to show up. Just a few special notes:

1. Our defense - Talk about a shutdown defense. They were doing everything right. Blocking shots, keeping the shots at wide angles, not giving up any 2-on-1's. Just an overall solid defensive effort. Kudos.

2. While the entire defense was great, Hedican was just unbelievable. You know he's a good defenseman when you can't tell when he's on the ice. And very disciplined as well. Didn't take any stupid, unnecessary penalties or get caught out of position. Great job.

3. Our offense. Wow, talk about sniping. They seemed to find every little hole in Gerber and just sliced the puck right through it. We were cautious with the puck, waiting for a lane to open, and not turning it over. And the forwards backchecked really well also.

My only complaint tonight is with Craig Adams. Did not play a good game tonight. He seemed invisible all night. Not a good night for him. Maybe we should start thinking about trading him.

ROFL!

That is the best game analysis i've seen in a while.

Well i think my main problem is with the Canes is that my expectations are or were way to high!!This is just a bad team face it,they just have no chemistry, effort,heart whatever you want to call it.After the cup win i think myself and alot of us thought they were alot better than they really are/were.It does make our win look more like a fluke than not.Don't get me wrong,they deserved the cup in 2006,but i think they were just a team that got on a roll took really took advantage of it!!

That was an effortless game last nite and i think they really showed their true colors,they are old,slow,heartless and have no urgency to win or at least make it a game!Changes,,my friends we need changes!! SOONER THAN LATER!!!

Well i think my main problem is with the Canes is that my expectations are or were way to high!!This is just a bad team face it,they just have no chemistry, effort,heart whatever you want to call it.After the cup win i think myself and alot of us thought they were alot better than they really are/were.It does make our win look more like a fluke than not.Don't get me wrong,they deserved the cup in 2006,but i think they were just a team that got on a roll took really took advantage of it!!

That was an effortless game last nite and i think they really showed their true colors,they are old,slow,heartless and have no urgency to win or at least make it a game!Changes,,my friends we need changes!! SOONER THAN LATER!!!

You know who DID look like they were trying? Sergei f'n Samsonov. Why? Because he has a fresh chance to win a cup on what he thought was a contender. Did you see the two defensive plays he made by getting back and tying up a possible rebound chance? We need to find more guys with this kind of heart. Welcome Sergei, we apologize we need to clean house but eventually we'll get this team winnin'. :)