The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Post Game Analysis 1/17-Sens

You know who DID look like they were trying? Sergei f'n Samsonov. Why? Because he has a fresh chance to win a cup on what he thought was a contender. Did you see the two defensive plays he made by getting back and tying up a possible rebound chance? We need to find more guys with this kind of heart. Welcome Sergei, we apologize we need to clean house but eventually we'll get this team winnin'. :)

Yep i did notice his effort,,maybe it will be as contagious as the flu was!!!

Yep i did notice his effort,,maybe it will be as contagious as the flu was!!!

He has been the perfect replacement for Williams in my eyes. He'll go in the corner and get it, come out with it, and set up a play. Good move JR. Lets see some more.

Is it possible that when the other team takes a penalty that we allow it to remain even strength. Why cant kaberle get the flu?

LOL You know it's a sad chain of events when we are wishing plague on our non-performers.

Whats sad is the man was only on the ice for 1 of the 5 goals :\

heddy's dumb penalty allowed a goal and then he was on the ice to personally allow another 2.

LOL You know it's a sad chain of events when we are wishing plague on our non-performers.

Well if the Staff won't healthy scratch him we need something(the flu) to get him or them(#5,#6) off the ice.

Seriously they were both really bad last night. Why does Frank insist on just standing there all the time watching things happen? We need D badly and until that gets fixed, we're in for a looooooooooong rest of the season. :(

I have been trying to figure out for the last couple of months if the problem was more the goalie play or the defense. At first I thought it was the goalies whose bad play affected the rest of the team. Then, particularly during the Av's game, it was entirely clear that the defense was much more responsible, with an ungodly number of point blank first and second and third shots. This continued last night, but last night was one of those total team meltdowns. Play through the neutral zone, offensive zone, and mostly in our own end was minor league level.

I had really thought that the coach was safe for the year, but if we continue to see complete team breakdowns like last night, I don't think JR will have much choice but to fire the coach. I don't think we're there yet, and hopefully last night was the nadir and things pick up, in which case I think he's safe, but a few more efforts like last night, particularly if they are in a row....we will have a new coach.

You know who DID look like they were trying? Sergei f'n Samsonov. Why? Because he has a fresh chance to win a cup on what he thought was a contender. Did you see the two defensive plays he made by getting back and tying up a possible rebound chance?

Yes, I too thought he was the best player on the ice for us last night. I was also a bit miffed when Cullen may have had a chance to catch Vermette on his breakaway. But Cullen gave up before Vermette took his shot. Maybe if Cullen was there, he could have at least back checked him to alter the rebound shot....which turned into a goal.

Could-a, should-a, would-a...............................

PS Have I mentioned that I'm a Cubs fan and live through this every season????

Yes, I too thought he was the best player on the ice for us last night. I was also a bit miffed when Cullen may have had a chance to catch Vermette on his breakaway. But Cullen gave up before Vermette took his shot. Maybe if Cullen was there, he could have at least back checked him to alter the rebound shot....which turned into a goal.

Could-a, should-a, would-a...............................

PS Have I mentioned that I'm a Cubs fan and live through this every season????

Cullen wouldn't have had to be backchecking if we had had two D-men back there watching out for Vermette...Kaberle was off in paradise.

Time to start work on next year it appears.

The team had more heart when we had the Rats here.

I agree that the fundamental problem is a lack of character for the team. There are only a few players really given 100% and players like Kaberle have been a disaster. From my perspective, Hedican is doing the team more harm than good. In the past he has contributed tremendously to the team. This year I think he has really hurt the team when he has played. Given how badly the defense is playing it is unknowable whether Cam Ward can maintain the quality of play required of a #1 goalie in the NHL. He played great half a season during 2005-2006. Can he maintain that level of play? It's impossible to judge given the lack of support he has received.

I have zero problem with the team losing. NHL hockey is incredibly competitive and the margin between wins and losses is amazingly close. My issue is putting players on the ice who don't give 100% all the time. I think the Albany players as a whole showed more character and determination than many of the veterans. I'd rather see a player like Chad LaRose hustle, even if sometimes that leads to mistakes, than see players like Kaberle jog from place to place and act confused, if not simply indifferent.

One thing we cannot know as fans is the degree to which players are playing hurt. Unlike the NFL, in the NHL the coaching staff frequently understates the nature of a player's injuries. If we have some players staying out on the ice because there is nobody else to replace them, it would be unfair to criticize them for playing hurt. I am assuming that the problem with the lack of effort is simply that -- a lack of desire rather than the inability to perform due to injuries.

In the end, the Hurricanes are now one of the "best worst" teams in the NHL -- rather than one of the "worst best" teams. They simply lack to talent on the ice on defense; and the players on defense are not making herculean efforts to overcome their lack of talent. I think Gleason could play regularly on many other NHL teams. Borer as a young talent would be kept. Seidenberg has shown talent, but playing with Kaberle has made him look terrible at times. Wesley still has guts and determination and given the beating he has taken over the years, he does remarkably well. As long as his minutes are kept within reason, he contributes.

Hedican and Wallin would not make it on other teams, I believe. Commodore is having an awful year and might or might not make it on another team. The worst part, to my mind, is that other than Borer we don't have a defense that is willing to make big hits, much less that is excited about making the big hit. As a result, the other teams load up on our forwards and run wild against Ward. If we were able to add a big time, hard hitting, defenseman, suddenly the Hurricanes would look like a team again. Unless and until that happens, this year is OVER.

one of the top 3 worst games I've watched them play in two seasons. looked like all these guys passed the bottle around the locker room a few times before coming out. no one could see/find the puck. whiffs on passes, whiffs on simple dribbles. lots of random loss of possesion NOT having to do with the Sens.bad ice maybe?

Gleason looked terrible (might as well have put a number 5 on his back), Cam looked like a deer in the headlights most all game. Kaberle, Wow, Kaberle! This team is looking like an AHL team trapped in the majors, just not ready. few lucky goals/wins here and there, but nothing consistent, and nothing terribly skilled. "ugly" goals they like to call them.

Can't say I'm gonna give up on them, but a real shake up needs to be made. getting rid of an empty uniform isn't going to do much. Hopefully the "something big" that keeps being rumored turns out to actually be something, and we step up. if not, we'll have to see what they do next year.!

I thought Gleason looked good last night, actually. Then again, I only watched the first period before I stopped paying attention and started playing NHL 06, so he might've regressed.

All I really have to say is that we looked distracted last night. No evidence of proper positioning. Team was just skating around in circles. Goaltending looked bad.

If this doesn't stop, next game I'm going to I'll be bringing a sign that says "I miss the 2005-2006 Hurricanes" and I'm going to give it to someone who has front row seats. Maybe that will wake them up.

Do you think that laying down to block shots is a good defensive move? It takes longer to get up and get into position. It seems the Canes might be doing it too much instead of poke checking or making the shooter go to the outside/take a bad shot or whatever.

Maybe its the defensive coaching.... I am probably off-base here.

I thought Gleason looked good last night, actually. Then again, I only watched the first period before I stopped paying attention and started playing NHL 06, so he might've regressed.

He was great in the 1st and made a great save in goal not to mention blocked a couple and made good decisions in his zone. But as the team went so did Gleason. He came to play and was probably the best player on the ice, besides Sammy, then the team suckness caught up to him in the 2nd and his play started sucking.

Posted this in another thread as well.

We win when our guys block shots in the defensive zone and can find the back of the net offensively. Look at the cup year, look at the wins we have.

Right now our goaltending is as weak as our defense...that's a very bad combination. Last night the Canes once again OUTSHOT a team only to lose by 4 goals. Until we can start finding the back of the net again, opponents will feed off of our defensive weakness.

A high scoring offense can cover a weak defense only if they score. Getting scored on deflates a team (look at the Canes last night after the second goal) and keeps their offfense off balance. What to do? Shoot the puck, crash the net for rebounds instead of falling down/diving looking for the penalty (our power play is officially lame). Ugly goals count the same as the pretty ones. Oh yeah, three guys in the corner or behind the net is easy to cover.

EVERY goaltender we face is better than ours right now. EVERY defense we play against denies the open man in the slot, we don't. The Canes need to get someone to send the message that if you cruise the slot in front of our net you wake up next week. Everyone needs to pitch in blocking shots.

What am I saying? Hell if I know. If I did I'd have a high paying NHL coaching career. There is definitely a sickness on this team and it's not the flu. I am now officially among the very frustrated. <_<

You know who DID look like they were trying? Sergei f'n Samsonov. Why? Because he has a fresh chance to win a cup on what he thought was a contender. Did you see the two defensive plays he made by getting back and tying up a possible rebound chance? We need to find more guys with this kind of heart. Welcome Sergei, we apologize we need to clean house but eventually we'll get this team winnin'. :)

If Samsonov thinks he had a fresh chance of winning a cup with this team he must have been smoking some serious stuff. The reason he is busting his balls is that this is his final chance in the league. He has pretty much bombed out of two teams the past two seasons. He was in the AHL in Rockford two weeks ago. He basically doesn't want to go back there.

Right now our goaltending is as weak as our defense...that's a very bad combination. Last night the Canes once again OUTSHOT a team only to lose by 4 goals. Until we can start finding the back of the net again, opponents will feed off of our defensive weakness. We win when our guys block shots in the defensive zone and can find the back of the net offensively. Look at the cup year, look at the wins we have.

Ottawa had 21 blocked shots, Canes had 10. Weak.

If Samsonov thinks he had a fresh chance of winning a cup with this team he must have been smoking some serious stuff. The reason he is busting his balls is that this is his final chance in the league. He has pretty much bombed out of two teams the past two seasons. He was in the AHL in Rockford two weeks ago. He basically doesn't want to go back there.

I went to college in Rockford. I don't want to go back.

My Take on this.........

Sergei is playing hard because this is his LAST chance, its personal not because he thought he was playing on a contender...he knows whats going on in the league. He wants to come out strong and help the team and save his a**.

My take on the game.......I'm not going to say to start circling the wagons yet because the team may come out of it BUT this team looked really lost last night. There seemed to be no cohesion within the team. At one point I saw Commodore behind the net getting ready to carry the puck out and he seemed to be there forever almost as if what he thought everyone would do they didn't and he had no idea what to do next ( just an example) but the whole night seemed to go that way. Ther was no rhthym to their play, no excitement, no desire ...I mean really there was nothing.

Lavi......well, I agree I think the applications need to start rolling in for the vacancy. He really seemed panicked last night to me. It looked like he really doesn't know what to do anymore. Is this all his fault ...no .... I really think the team is just not as deep as many would think. Since you can't really trade away a good chunk of the team, the blame will go to Lavi and he will go.

At some point if the slide continues , all the fans can really do is watch and chalk up the season and plan on a rebuilding phase.