The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

Grahmne on Re-entry Waivers/Recall

This is seriously, risky business. So if I am correct, for Leighton to be sent down, he has to clear waivers? If that's true, then he HAS to stay in the NHL all season. But forgive me if I'm wrong, I thought he had a 2-way contract.

Anyway, if Leights has to clear waivers to be sent back to the AHL, this is a horrible move in my opnion. UNLESS, there is a taker for Grahame. 700k minus what he's been paid would be a really cheap backup for some team, but I really don't see it happening.

To me, this could only mean ONE of two things. Either JR found someone to claim Grahame, or he's gonna carry 3 goalies. It's obviously not trade Grahame, because it doesn't matter if you're in the AHL or NHL, you can be traded just as easily.

Using 3 goalies could be costly to this team, because that eats up another roster spot, and with all the injuries I'm not sure they'd need to do that, because it would be harder to fill a position in case of injury, you'd have to call someone up vs. just using someone on reserves, which brings me to my next point. IF Grahame is coming up, who's going down?

Personally, I think JR could be trading someone OTHER than a goalie, possibly a 2 for 1 deal, and that's the open roster spot Grahame will fill.

I think the Craig Adams move, and the Grahame move is to clear them from the roster somehow. Either a trade or someone has indicated they would like Grahame as a cheap back up.

For Johnny it gives him another chance (with another team) and it is a reward for taking the medicine and reporting and out of respect for him. These moves look more and more to me like something is brewing and JR's crafty mind is at work.

I hope Johnny is picked up. To have pulled Leighton during the Leafs game and now bring up Johnny to sit would be a horrible mistake imo. Leighton has earned the call up in Albany and playing well enough to win some games for us, lets don't crush him.

I have now slept on this...and I still don't feel any better about it. <_<

I know KOTC said Spectors is saying we will just carry all three, but really? I mean our backup doesn't play a whole lot as it is. John CLEARLY stated in his "farewell statement" that he didn't like sitting on the bench for "a season and a half" :rolleyes:

He doesnt have to sit on the bench, now he can comfortably watch from the press box :)

ROFLMAO :lol:

Hopefully there are still some doughnuts and Doritos left! Plus he will be in good company with David and Justin.

ROFLMAO :lol:

Hopefully there are still some doughnuts and Doritos left! Plus he will be in good company with David and Justin.

And the big, cushy, grease-stained chair! You can't forget the chair that has been passed from press-box player to press-box player. :)

What more could you want really? ;)

Well, other than a goalie that can actually, you know, goal-tend, I have no idea!

Two more hours to go guys!

Now you're just talking crazy talk! A goalie that goal-tends, what are you thinking? :lol:

Hopefully we get some answers at noon as to what the master plan is here and we don't have to sit through the All Star break like this!

Now you're just talking crazy talk! A goalie that goal-tends, what are you thinking? :lol:

Hopefully we get some answers at noon as to what the master plan is here and we don't have to sit through the All Star break like this!

Yes, I have been known to speak fluent crazy at times. This may be no different!

And calling this a master plan makes JR sound like an evil genius. If only he could use his powers for the greater good of mankind then we might possibly be without Grahame in a few hours. :)

It seems pretty simple to me really so I'm not sure why all the panic, as if it's the devil reincarnate coming back. ;) I wasn't a fan of Grahame's attitude after the Florida game or his play overall but some people seem to want to blame all the Canes' problems on him. Come on already.

In a perfect world, someone takes Grahame on re-entry - remember it took Samsonov two re-entries to get claimed after no one stepped up the first time. If not, then maybe he can get worked in for a game to showcase himself at the NHL level. JR is clearly overselling what he did in the AHL to get some attention but that won't attract as much attention as a quality NHL start. He may get the start in the second Isles game as it's possible DiPietro gives way to Dubielewicz for that game.

With the All-Star break coming up it gives GM's more time to discuss and contemplate roster moves and little more time for JR to make some calls. This is a short-term and unique situation.

Evil genius/master wizard like Dumbledore is what I like to call him. He just always seems to have something up his sleeve and one of the best poker faces in the NHL.

I just think there's more to this then meets the eye because he has to know that just playing games with the goalies like this is not going to fix our problems.

Yeah well the problem with showcasing Grahame is he actually has to play well and have a team that plays well in front of him. If he plays a game and does terribly then what? That is a step back IMO

Can someone explain the whole going on re-entries more than once thing. You put someone on re-entry waivers, they clear...then what? You don't necessarily have to recall them from the AHL team right? But then what?

It seems pretty simple to me really so I'm not sure why all the panic, as if it's the devil reincarnate coming back. ;) I wasn't a fan of Grahame's attitude after the Florida game or his play overall but some people seem to want to blame all the Canes' problems on him. Come on already.

In a perfect world, someone takes Grahame on re-entry - remember it took Samsonov two re-entries to get claimed after no one stepped up the first time. If not, then maybe he can get worked in for a game to showcase himself at the NHL level. JR is clearly overselling what he did in the AHL to get some attention but that won't attract as much attention as a quality NHL start. He may get the start in the second Isles game as it's possible DiPietro gives way to Dubielewicz for that game.

With the All-Star break coming up it gives GM's more time to discuss and contemplate roster moves and little more time for JR to make some calls. This is a short-term and unique situation.

I don't think we are blaming Grahame for all our problems. We're all quite aware that none of the guys are being consistent. However, Grahame's attitude, lack of skill or refusal to use his skill, and the fact that the team doesn't play well in front of him (for multiple reasons) are why people want to get rid of him. That's just not someone you want on a team. There are plenty of guys who go out night after night, who try their hardest and give all the effort they can regardless of their skill level or points number. But they are there without attitude or ego and that is why people don't immediately call for their heads. Grahame honestly has nothing going for him and is a detriment to this team more than an asset. That is why we want him gone.

Yeah well the problem with showcasing Grahame is he actually has to play well and have a team that plays well in front of him. If he plays a game and does terribly then what? That is a step back IMO

Can someone explain the whole going on re-entries more than once thing. You put someone on re-entry waivers, they clear...then what? You don't necessarily have to recall them from the AHL team right? But then what?

Well obviously he has to play well but look more closely at the circumstances. If he goes up against Dubie, who is just back from an AHL conditioning stint, it reasonable to except a nearly healthy group of Canes' forwards can put up some goals. The Isles are one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL so possibly that gives Grahame one of the better chances to showcase his talents. Stranger things have happened but it just isn't overly likely that he will get claimed based on his AHL performances so far.

As far as re-entry waivers, just look at the Samsonov situation. Waived and unclaimed, he was put on re-entry waivers a couple days later. He went unclaimed on re-entry waivers and was placed on re-entry waivers again about a week later once JR let Chicago know they would take him.

I'm hoping JR has something in mind. Who knows. I would like to think he may have him packaged up for someone. Possibly John-Michael Liles or I'm dreaming to say Sheldon Souray. :P

Stayed tuned for the next exciting episode of "As the Canes Turn". :lol:

Im getting worried someone might not claim him, there are only 2 hours left until he's clear

The way waivers works, it's not the first to claim, it's the team with the highest priority. So there is a 24 hour period where all teams put in claims if they want. At the end of the period and no sooner will the winner be announced.

A claim could've been put in in the first minute and we wouldn't know until the 24 hours is up.

The way waivers works, it's not the first to claim, it's the team with the highest priority. So there is a 24 hour period where all teams put in claims if they want. At the end of the period and no sooner will the winner be announced.

A claim could've been put in in the first minute and we wouldn't know until the 24 hours is up.

Okay thats making me feel a little bit better

I don't think we are blaming Grahame for all our problems. We're all quite aware that none of the guys are being consistent. However, Grahame's attitude, lack of skill or refusal to use his skill, and the fact that the team doesn't play well in front of him (for multiple reasons) are why people want to get rid of him. That's just not someone you want on a team. There are plenty of guys who go out night after night, who try their hardest and give all the effort they can regardless of their skill level or points number. But they are there without attitude or ego and that is why people don't immediately call for their heads. Grahame honestly has nothing going for him and is a detriment to this team more than an asset. That is why we want him gone.

I was one of the first posters to rip him for his "blame-game" attitude after the loss in Florida so I certainly am not a fan of his attitude, nor his play for that matter.

However, the over-the-top, constant bashing he has gotten from some is nothing short of mean-spirited and petty. I have no idea what "refusal to use his skill" means but it seems like you are very willing to toss unfounded criticism his way too. No offense, but it makes no sense. Nobody knows how he is perceived in the dressing room regardless of how he spoke out previously. If he was perceived as a cancer, JR and the coaching staff would never consider bringing him back. Belanger became one and was sent packing.

You might recall the Canes routinely tanked in front of Cam Ward when he backed up Gerber for whatever reason and his stats looked horrible also but his W-L record masked it b/c of good goal-scoring support. Whether it's Grahame or Leighton in net, it will be a roll of the dice as neither are reliable NHL goalies. So Ward is the guy who will ultimately determine the team's playoff fate so why all the fuss over Grahame then?

Wow that did not take long at all for another Grahame bashing thread to open up :angry: :angry: <_< :rolleyes:

Anyway im thrilled that he might be coming back :)

I was one of the first posters to rip him for his "blame-game" attitude after the loss in Florida so I certainly am not a fan of his attitude, nor his play for that matter.

However, the over-the-top, constant bashing he has gotten from some is nothing short of mean-spirited and petty. I have no idea what "refusal to use his skill" means but it seems like you are very willing to toss unfounded criticism his way too. No offense, but it makes no sense. Nobody knows how he is perceived in the dressing room regardless of how he spoke out previously. If he was perceived as a cancer, JR and the coaching staff would never consider bringing him back. Belanger became one and was sent packing.

You might recall the Canes routinely tanked in front of Cam Ward when he backed up Gerber for whatever reason and his stats looked horrible also but his W-L record masked it b/c of good goal-scoring support. Whether it's Grahame or Leighton in net, it will be a roll of the dice as neither are reliable NHL goalies. So Ward is the guy who will ultimately determine the team's playoff fate so why all the fuss over Grahame then?

Ok, let me start off by saying to you that I used to be a huge Grahame supporter, even when he wasn't doing so hot. TangledHeart can back me up on that one. So, if you truly think that someone having a dissenting opinion is "mean-spirited and petty" or that the criticism is "unfounded" then I would have to say you are sadly mistaken. I critisize him because he opens his mouth and says that he just needs a chance and that he can prove that he is good enough to start more games on this team. Then he turns around and doesn't live up to his performance and then we start the cycle over. What I meant by "refusal to use his skill" is that if he is as good as he says he is, then he has left us all wanting. Either he doesn't have the skill, or he's just not giving it his all. Yes, the team could play better in front of him, but they aren't. Step up, take responsibility for your part, go out the next night and try harder. He doesn't do any of those things. If you think that is unfounded, that is your call. But please, explain to me and everyone else why calling him on his crap is unfounded.

And using the Ward/Gerber example isn't really equivalent. Once Gerber was out for good, the guys stepped it up. Ward was being primed to take his place as the starting goalie of this team. Grahame is not. And the guys haven't stepped it up. I blame them partially because no matter who is in net, they should be working it out every night. So don't think that I place every bit of blame on Grahame. I don't. I wouldn't. This is a team sport. However, Grahame is a weak link. There are other weak links and in the appropriate threads I'll be more than happy to call them on their crap too.

I just don't get how you can say that people have unfounded criticism about Grahame. Some people do, yes. But not everyone. His GAA and save percentage are weak. That's fact. He has a passive aggressive attitude. That's fact. He talks big and produces little. That's fact. I think he is taking up a roster spot for someone who deserves it more and for someone that the team can really count on.

And you are right. Ward is where most of the team's playoff fate falls. But God forbid we make it to the playoffs and he gets a Gerber style sickness and can't come back from it, we need to feel like we have a guy we can rely on. If there is something wrong with fans wanting someone they feel that their team can rely on, then I'm not really sure I want to be right. We're dishing it out for other people too (Frank Kaberle, anyone?).

Oh, and let me add, this isn't a slight against him as a person. He was quite personable and nice when I met him and even chatted with me for a few seconds. But personable and nice doesn't save goals. I think that is all anyone is really trying to say.

I just don't get why JR is playing this rotating game with the goalies instead of addressing the bigger issue at hand....our defensive play.

I just don't get why JR is playing this rotating game with the goalies instead of addressing the bigger issue at hand....our defensive play.

Or, you know, just play in general. Everyone is kind of lagging. I have an idea! How about we scratch the current roster and go for a whole new team? We'll start recruiting from the Mighty Mites and the Storm Squad. And we'll have Stormy play goalie? LOLZ! :lol: Figured I'd lighten the tone up a bit.