The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NoGoodHockeyBum

Number 17 is MIA

Rod was really flying at the beginning of the season so I do not think it is an age issue. He is a really gutsy player and person. I suspect a nagging injury that he would never admit. Give him time, he is still the heart of this team and just skipping a beat or two right now.

This is a topic I never wanted to see.......but I think it's time has come.

Rod's usual game is off of late....poor puck handling, poor passing and losing face offs.

What is causing this???????........

Is he hurt?

Has age caught up to him?

Does JWillie mean that much to his play?

I'm sickened by this.......Brindy is my "go to guy".....a long time fav.

yeah i was thinking the same thing. i dont know what ever it is hopefully he snaps out of it soon. last night he played better than he has been and thats a + so we will seee.

and the "Go To Guy" has been and will be Staal!

Rod was really flying at the beginning of the season so I do not think it is an age issue. He is a really gutsy player and person. I suspect a nagging injury that he would never admit. Give him time, he is still the heart of this team and just skipping a beat or two right now.

I too am a huge Brindy fan, absolutely respect his game playing and leadership but something is terribly wrong with him. If we admit it, this was going on before William's injury, is just getting worse since. I remember last year him being out 5 games with a recurrent groin injury, maybe it's back and he's hiding it to help the team out in this difficult injury realted period of the season. I hope he works this out, I miss his game.

BTW, what game did he get his black eye, I noticed it last night but don't recall a fight (excluding the minor altercation last night) or injury he received in last 2 or 3 games, did I miss something?

This is a topic I never wanted to see.......but I think it's time has come.

Rod's usual game is off of late....poor puck handling, poor passing and losing face offs.

What is causing this???????........

Is he hurt?

Has age caught up to him?

Does JWillie mean that much to his play?

I'm sickened by this.......Brindy is my "go to guy".....a long time fav.

I gotta admit, I pondered starting a similar thread loooong before Williams went down. I would agree with the nagging injury conjecture were it not for the fact that he's falling down mentally on the simplest of plays. He's still right up there in faceoff percentage (was #3 overall through Jan 2 and won 70 pct last night), but the puck handling and passing issues are real, and they seem to occur more in our Dzone than anywhere else, which is the really alarming thing. Roddy is way too seasoned not to protect the puck and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's had more giveaways in the last two months of last year and the first half of this year than in his entire NHL career up to this point.

He looks to me like a guy who is very tired and beginning to question whether he can grind it out for four more seasons.

I too am a huge Brindy fan, absolutely respect his game playing and leadership but something is terribly wrong with him. If we admit it, this was going on before William's injury, is just getting worse since. I remember last year him being out 5 games with a recurrent groin injury, maybe it's back and he's hiding it to help the team out in this difficult injury realted period of the season. I hope he works this out, I miss his game.

BTW, what game did he get his black eye, I noticed it last night but don't recall a fight (excluding the minor altercation last night) or injury he received in last 2 or 3 games, did I miss something?

Yes, in fact this happened to him last year as well. He was his usual self - even better - in roughly the first half of the season, but in the second half his production dropped off and he started the passing to the other team constantly. I remember bringing it up on here wondering if he was injured, and sure enough it ended up being mentioned that he was during that long stretch.

It's been the same this year, but it has started much sooner. He just doesn't look the same, but is it injury or something else? His faceoffs have been off in many games this year, too, which is something you can usually depend the most on with him. I said before Cullen was injured that Cullen should start being put in more for faceoffs and to not play Rod so much. It's been something that's frustrated me with pretty much the entire team, but the passing to other players has been a constant since last season with Brindy, too. He's been doing it all season so far, not just recently. His mind just doesn't seem to be in the game like it used to be. In fact, he also seems to be taking more penalties than usual. Another one of those signs.

I hate to say it, but FW might be correct in that his career is entering the final stage. Many here won't want to hear that, but no matter how much you work out you reach a point where injuries begin to pile up and prevent you from being able to play full speed. It's different for every person. Sometimes working out too much can wear out the body faster, which is something I've actually been worried about with Brindy for awhile now. We might be seeing the results of Rod pushing himself too much, unfortunately.

As for the black eye, we noticed that last night as well and were trying to remember where he got it. Did he get a high stick recently?

I've too been wondering if Rod has been playing hurt. He's the last guy I'd expect to complain about it and most likely to just try to gut it out. A lower-body might explain tentative skating, an upper-body might explain difficulty drawing the puck back and shooting hard and accurately, unwilliness to throw a hit. But the frequent giveaways are inexplicable. I would have guessed flu or something else affecting his mental clarity, vision and/or judgement. But the flu doesn't last as long as he's been in a funk.

I think this ? is looming on everyone's mind. You would think that if Rod did have an injury of some kind that was affecting his play he would want to have something done about it. Rod loves this team and I just couldn't see him doing something that would keep the team out of the playoffs. I also don't think age has anything to do with it because Rod is in great shape and takes care of his body and he can probably do circles around a lot of 20 yr. olds if given the chance. Plus look at Wesley who is 2 yrs. older. I don't see his age slowing him down. There may be personal issues which I hope isn't the case for Rod's sake but something has to give soon. Rod's not the type to go down without a fight so hopefully we'll see the Rod we all know and love back on the ice soon.

As for the black eye, we noticed that last night as well and were trying to remember where he got it. Did he get a high stick recently?

Brindy got bounced around and checked pretty hard lately. It might be another indicator that his game is off because he allows himself to get into those situations more,...or that other teams are speculating on him being hurt? Personally, I'd like to see Brookbank officially introducing himself to some of the guys slamming Brindy. I'm not saying that our captain can't look out for himself but I think it would be a good beginning to see Brookbank starting to stand up for our guys.

What better time than tonight when we face the Blues and the worst ranked PP in the league.

Didn't Brindy suffer a foot or ankle injury late last season? Maybe it was fine during the beginning of the season but the injury could be nagging him again.

I don't know about injury, but the thing that's driving me crazy about Brindy pretty much the whole season is passing. He's been making some awful decisions on passes. So unless his brain (for decision making) and eyes (to see which ones are his teammates) are injured, I don't know what it is... :blink:

I can't get too worried about the captain. Yes he is in a slump which, apparently, is making him make some really awful puck handling decisions resulting in way too many turnovers. Rod is going to be fine, his game will be back sometime soon and he will be around for a while

ROD IS THE MAN....PERIOD! YES HE IS IN A SLUMP...WE ALL GO THROUGH SLUMPS. HES A TRUE WARRIOR! IT HAS TO TO BE SERIOUS TO TAKE HIM OUT OF THE LINE-UP. IT WILL COME AROUND. AND EVEN IF IT DOESNT...HE HAS GIVEN HIS HEART TO THE GAME MORE SO THAN ANYBODY TO EVER EXPECT A HUMAN BEING TO DO SO! RODS NEVER BEEN FLASHY...HE JUST KNOWS HOW TO GET IT DONE.

TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF.

(thank you)

ROD IS THE MAN....PERIOD! YES HE IS IN A SLUMP...WE ALL GO THROUGH SLUMPS. HES A TRUE WARRIOR! IT HAS TO TO BE SERIOUS TO TAKE HIM OUT OF THE LINE-UP. IT WILL COME AROUND. AND EVEN IF IT DOESNT...HE HAS GIVEN HIS HEART TO THE GAME MORE SO THAN ANYBODY TO EVER EXPECT A HUMAN BEING TO DO SO! RODS NEVER BEEN FLASHY...HE JUST KNOWS HOW TO GET IT DONE.

I agree with your comments on Brindy. I was only stating he could be injuried as to why his play has been off as of late.

If this was anyone else on the team you people would be screaming for a trade. We have the worst PK in the league which Roddy plays on and his line hasn't showed up in two months. Staal gets bashed when we lose. Maybe the 37 year old captain should have the same pressure as the 23 year old kid.

I love Roddy to death and the last thing I want is to see him in a different uniform. We will not win another cup without him leading our team like he did in 2006. But lets be fair when he sucks he deserves the same pressure to perform as everyone else.

Are any of his kids teenaged yet? That would do it to anyone! LOL :) (I haven't figured out how to add smilies yet.)

Very good point! That's enough to throw anyone out of whack. Anyone want to adopt a 14 yr. old girl for the next 4 years? I'll have boy to send your way in about 2 yrs.

Brindy got bounced around and checked pretty hard lately. It might be another indicator that his game is off because he allows himself to get into those situations more,...or that other teams are speculating on him being hurt? Personally, I'd like to see Brookbank officially introducing himself to some of the guys slamming Brindy. I'm not saying that our captain can't look out for himself but I think it would be a good beginning to see Brookbank starting to stand up for our guys.

What better time than tonight when we face the Blues and the worst ranked PP in the league.

I totally agree WHaler.

I was posting back in OCtober my dismay that guys were taking cheap shots at Rod and our boys stood by and skated off the ice assuming Rod would be ok.

This has got to stop. Anyone taking a run at ANY of our players needs to be taught at lesson - Regardless of Lav's opnion of fighting.

I fully expect the next cheap shot on one of our boys to result in headlines on TSN, Hockey Night Canada, ESPN, Center ICe, Versus, XM Radio etc... "OMG did you see those guys in Carolina go off on _______ ! Man, I don't nkow the length of the suspensions but wow did they deal out some punishment."

I dont want us to be this years version of the Flyers, but we also dont need to be wearing pink.

I'd gladly donate the outcome of a game for a full team brawl.

Colon Campbell certainly aint going to protect our guys.

If this was anyone else on the team you people would be screaming for a trade. We have the worst PK in the league which Roddy plays on and his line hasn't showed up in two months. Staal gets bashed when we lose. Maybe the 37 year old captain should have the same pressure as the 23 year old kid.

I love Roddy to death and the last thing I want is to see him in a different uniform. We will not win another cup without him leading our team like he did in 2006. But lets be fair when he sucks he deserves the same pressure to perform as everyone else.

Actually how is this fair?

Roddy has paid the dues by playing the game 100% every moment he has been on the ice EVERY YEAR EVERY GAME for us. I can not say that for any other single player I know of thats played in a Hurricanes Uniform in the last 5 years.

Lets be fair. Ok. Rod gets a pass that extends far far far out past the other guys. Last year his foot was so messed up he could hardly walk but it didnt even make the injury report and Rod played 22 minutes a game.

Yea, lets be fair.