The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NoGoodHockeyBum

Number 17 is MIA

NO-ONE gives Iginla a face wash because they know Iginla will drop em."

How many time times have you seen Brindy dropped like a bad habit and the opposing players hovering over him trying to start a fight?

Thanks for playing, drive safe.

NO-ONE gives Iginla a face wash because they know Iginla will drop em."

How many time times have you seen Brindy dropped like a bad habit and the opposing players hovering over him trying to start a fight?

Thanks for playing, drive safe.

I've seen it too many.

What really has bothered me especially early this year is no one seemed bothered when it happened to our Captain.

I've seen it too many.

What really has bothered me especially early this year is no one seemed bothered when it happened to our Captain.

With Brindamour working out like he does, and judging from the Cup photos, Rod's ripped.

So why do you think he doesn't fight anyone? Because he's more useful out of the box than he is in the box.

Agree with you, but no. Rod is our icon, our face, the guy that comes to mind when I think of the 'Canes. Seems to have lost some steam after his two year re-emergence, but I still think he's an extremely critical part of our team. Not very replaceable either, at least not for what most teams would give us back for him.

Rod is NOT our face and is NOT our icon. Rod is humble and wouldn't want that status. You must be living in la la land. He is our captain but not a franchise player. You can't even find his jersey at stores in Raleigh. Staal is our face and franchise player. I love Rod and think he is a good hockey player but not a great hockey player. He is not that talented all around to be an icon. His duty on the ice as a hurricane is to lead by example and do the little things. For the past two season he has been inconsistent. If they are going to trade Rod they need to do it now if they ever want something in return.

Rod is NOT our face and is NOT our icon. Rod is humble and wouldn't want that status. You must be living in la la land. He is our captain but not a franchise player. You can't even find his jersey at stores in Raleigh. Staal is our face and franchise player. I love Rod and think he is a good hockey player but not a great hockey player. He is not that talented all around to be an icon. His duty on the ice as a hurricane is to lead by example and do the little things. For the past two season he has been inconsistent. If they are going to trade Rod they need to do it now if they ever want something in return.

I'm sorry, but what?

What exactly do you mean by "talented all around"? Last time I checked, he could score, set up plays, kill penalties, work the powerplay, play defensively, and win faceoffs.

Want him to play goal too? :lol:

do you even realize what you're saying?

Rod is what led us to the Stanley Cup Finals.

And who cares if you cant find his jersey in a store. That just means Staal is more popular then Brinds.

He will have his number in the rafters, and he will be in the Hall Of Fame..hes not getting traded.

that pretty much ends your conclusion of trading him.

Wow. Well, from what I have read through, this topic has become a bit of a push/pull discussion. The fact is, the 'C' on his jersey is here (for now) and this isn't the forum to discuss his worthiness of such title.

As far as his play goes, it's obvious he's not producing like he was last season, or even as he was at the season's beginning for that matter. I'm not seeing the same intensity, quickness, and pure skill that I have seen him display in the past. Look's like he needs a little bit of motivation, and I'll just keep hoping he finds it...fast.

Now that we've fallen out of the SE Division lead, let's support our team - and that includes our Captain.

Ok cowboy calm down. In YOUR opinion, he's not any of the things I said he was...but in MY opinion he is. Staal is our future, but "I" associate Rod with the franchise best. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but ya don't need to make it sound like it's so cut and dry...we all have our own thoughts...and I appreciate yours just as much as I hope you appreciate mine. :)

Trade him??? He won the Selke the past two years and is one of the best faceoff guys in the league for crying out loud. There is often talk of him ending up in the hall of fame. Yeah, he's not that important, trade him.

:lol:

Ok cowboy calm down. In YOUR opinion, he's not any of the things I said he was...but in MY opinion he is. Staal is our future, but "I" associate Rod with the franchise best. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but ya don't need to make it sound like it's so cut and dry...we all have our own thoughts...and I appreciate yours just as much as I hope you appreciate mine. :)

Sorry for coming off in the wrong way. You are right. We are all titled to our opinion. My point is that sports in general tend to hang on to players based on their past performances in order to make money off of them. We can all name a player off the top of our head that was/is playing past their prime. The AHL/Minors/Farm leagues are full of great players that are better than the veterans in front of them. They are not given the opportunity unfortunately because it is a business more so than a game and big name players sell more tickets. My opinion is that as a GM you do whatever it takes to win. If you breakdown the current performance of big name players vs. pay and you will find many are detrimental to the teams success. Barry Bonds for example lead the league in several categories but yet the Giants never won a championship.

There is no doubt Rod is a Hall of Famer and he has won the Selke award twice. What is he doing NOW that is helping us win?

What's funny about this whole thread is that I'm sure Rod has a no trade clause. I mean, his kids live in Raleigh and apparently his ex and kids have no intentions on moving. Rod has been the one stable force for this whole team year after year, but heaven forbid you have a slump........bring out the whips and let's beat him till he begs for mercy. Staal is a wonderful excellent player.......when he chooses to show up for the game. I do recall Staal having to be sent down for a "conditioning" stent....in other words "get your mind back on the game and what we pay you to do". I recall it was Brind'Amour who called the meeting before game 7 and motivated everyone to play a little harder. He might not be the flashiest guy and he may not score every game or every other game, but he is the one with the legendary work ethic...not just touted by the Cane faithful, but by almost every sports reporter you hear. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. Sorry, old saying by my great-grandmother. There is something wrong with this team, but I don't think it starts or ends with Rod Brind'amour.

What's funny about this whole thread is that I'm sure Rod has a no trade clause. I mean, his kids live in Raleigh and apparently his ex and kids have no intentions on moving. Rod has been the one stable force for this whole team year after year, but heaven forbid you have a slump........bring out the whips and let's beat him till he begs for mercy. Staal is a wonderful excellent player.......when he chooses to show up for the game. I do recall Staal having to be sent down for a "conditioning" stent....in other words "get your mind back on the game and what we pay you to do". I recall it was Brind'Amour who called the meeting before game 7 and motivated everyone to play a little harder. He might not be the flashiest guy and he may not score every game or every other game, but he is the one with the legendary work ethic...not just touted by the Cane faithful, but by almost every sports reporter you hear. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. Sorry, old saying by my great-grandmother. There is something wrong with this team, but I don't think it starts or ends with Rod Brind'amour.

Agents tell their players all the time to waive bye to the no-trade clause. Staal is the only guy on the team that has shown up to more games. Look at the numbers they do not lie. What Brind'Amour did before game 7 is in the past. We are talking about today. Yesterdays pre-game interview was a prime example of what is being discussed here. Rod's attitude in that interview explains exactly what's wrong. He is the team's captain and his attitude seemed out of touch as if he doesn't care anymore. I believe Rod does care but is tired of it all. Staal's game hasn't shown up several times but he recognized it and has stepped up the past couple of months. Staal is 23 years old has had a 100 point season. Without him Rod's speech before game 7 wouldn't have ever happened. This is also why JR mentioned the other day on 850 the buzz that Staal is the future for this team. That he has shown leadership on the ice and in the lockerroom. You are right, there is something wrong with this team, but it always starts and ends with the Captain. That is the responsibility of the "C."

What do people think now? Rod said it was gut-check time for everyone (I'm assuming he was including himself in that group), came out and established the tone for the game. His line with Samsonov and Cole were arguably the best line of the night and Rod's exclamation after his goal and his entire game spoke volumes about his leadership and his role.

It's a long season - many games to go and players, Rod included, will probably have to deal with slumps and fatigue at more points this year, but the fact that some wanted Brind'Amour traded is unthinkable to me. Even when I've been frustrated with his struggling play, I didn't think once about wanting to see him shipped out.

I will continue to support Rod and the Hurricanes throughout this year and the years ahead - and in that support, I will voice my frustration and concerns, but won't turn my back on this team.

Thanks.

Brindamour's starting to return to form, no doubt. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't an injury, but it was indeed because Williams was out. The CBS line has definitely gotten the job done as of late, but let's see how long they can keep it up.

Brindamour's starting to return to form, no doubt. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't an injury, but it was indeed because Williams was out. The CBS line has definitely gotten the job done as of late, but let's see how long they can keep it up.

One game Frogg....one game.

Technically, it's been more than 1 game. Yeah, last night was the cumulation of everything, but that line played well against the Avalanche and against Toronto.

Technically, it's been more than 1 game. Yeah, last night was the cumulation of everything, but that line played well against the Avalanche and against Toronto.

Agree. One strong line like that can spread fire to an entire team. It was Staal with the hat trick, while Roddy and Sammy each had 1. Then Rosie comes in with one while Brookbank was on the ice. Once they start believing they can do this and the bad is behind them they're a diferent team. Word of the day, "Synergy". I really believe #17 was the agent that brought about the huge change in attitude last night.

If he has bad injury, I don't think he would play. Rod is totally aware of his fitness and I don't think he would risk a long term injury by playing injured now. :unsure:

Roddy like every professional athlete, has the distinction, playing hurt and playing injured. (When playing hurt, there is pain and often a performance drop off, but not any danger of serious or career threatening injury because you are playing. Playing injured has inherent danger of more and more serious injury as a result of playing. Or something like that.) Playing hurt is heroic. Playing injured is stupid. Roddy is not stupid.

Roddy like every professional athlete, has the distinction, playing hurt and playing injured. (When playing hurt, there is pain and often a performance drop off, but not any danger of serious or career threatening injury because you are playing. Playing injured has inherent danger of more and more serious injury as a result of playing. Or something like that.) Playing hurt is heroic. Playing injured is stupid. Roddy is not stupid.

Good point but sometimes these guys forget how old they are as well. Doesn't matter how good of shape you are the joints start to give up. You don't know your limits because you are use to be young. At that age the only smart thing to do is sit regardless.