The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Who would bring us the most value

As much as i have to say it"Cole" is our best trade bait,,but IMO getting rid of him would be more of a negative than a positive!We need youth and speed and i also belive Staal& Cole have the only real chemisrty on the team!

The other 2 that have seemed to connect as far as chemistry is Rod&Sergei(sp)? But thats off this topic.

Cole. I was ready for him to be traded in the summer.

As much as I like him I would have to agree, he is always difficult around contract time.

As much as it pains me to say this: Erik Cole

Cole is a Top 5 power forward in this league and there aren't many top power forwards. Just about any team could use a player like Cole.

I also think that if a GM wants Cole, we should be able to unload Kaberle on them like we did with Tverdovsky. So while we are giving up one of the top power forwards in the league, we will be getting rid of the biggest weakest link on this team.

Cole. I was ready for him to be traded in the summer.

Why would you want to trade Cole? He's still fairly young and he is a threat every time hes on the ice. He's also a player the Canes need. I voted for Stiller. He's a veteran player and can produce, but right now he isn't playing well at all.

Why would you want to trade Cole? He's still fairly young and he is a threat every time hes on the ice. He's also a player the Canes need. I voted for Stiller. He's a veteran player and can produce, but right now he isn't playing well at all.

The question isnt why we would want to but who would bring the most value. I would have to agree on trading Cole though, bc its been said earlier, he is at a huge risk for injury every time he drives to the net. He's already not 100% and right now neither him or Stiller are producing. Plus Stiller seems to have a few more good years left, and he's a great playmaker

Uh, if you're asking who will get the highest return on the open market regardless of the damage done to the team, the answer is Eric Staal. Now you wouldn't do that but he would get the biggest return.

As far as return minus losses from trading, I'll call this profit, the most profitable guy is probably Cole. But then again Kaberle would be a bigger net gain (addition by subtraction) but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to take him without a sweetner.

Uh, if you're asking who will get the highest return on the open market regardless of the damage done to the team, the answer is Eric Staal. Now you wouldn't do that but he would get the biggest return.

As far as return minus losses from trading, I'll call this profit, the most profitable guy is probably Cole. But then again Kaberle would be a bigger net gain (addition by subtraction) but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to take him without a sweetner.

JR has already stated that he was untouchable (Staal) which leads me to believe everyone else is fair game.

The question isnt why we would want to but who would bring the most value. I would have to agree on trading Cole though, bc its been said earlier, he is at a huge risk for injury every time he drives to the net. He's already not 100% and right now neither him or Stiller are producing. Plus Stiller seems to have a few more good years left, and he's a great playmaker

Stillmans a FA at the end of the year, so even if he does have a few good years left, it may not be with the canes. The best return value is obviously cole and then stillman, but more factors than just who has the most return value goes into the equation. Losing stillman will not make a difference between making the playoffs or not and whats gotten in return would be nice along with a good possibility of resigning stillman next year. It seems like a lot of people on here just want one of the big names dealt but have no clue what or who they want in return. All the people wanting to get rid of cole, what would you like in return, and you can be specific with names that are rumoured to be available.

JR has already stated that he was untouchable (Staal) which leads me to believe everyone else is fair game.

You said most valuable trade asset the canes have, not the most realistic, there is a difference. Of course Staal is untouchable which says largely why he is worth the most. Even trading him at 75 cents on the dollar he's gonna get you more than any other single player on the team.

The real question is which player will give you the best return vs what you gave up. Your question leaves that second part out.

I say trade no one...

i hate in season trades and i will continue to say it

its obvious we have the talent to win...I'm really getting sick of this, do you not care about the players at all? Think about what they have to go through when they get traded! one day you are in raleigh, next day you could be in vancouver...your family stays behind until you can get them up there, your family loses everything they liked about raleigh, you are on a brand new team, new coach, new players...IT SUCKS.

I say trade no one...

i hate in season trades and i will continue to say it

its obvious we have the talent to win...I'm really getting sick of this, do you not care about the players at all? Think about what they have to go through when they get traded! one day you are in raleigh, next day you could be in vancouver...your family stays behind until you can get them up there, your family loses everything they liked about raleigh, you are on a brand new team, new coach, new players...IT SUCKS.

Cole wanted to sign a one-year contract here after the Stanley Cup season, specifically so he could test the free agent market and potentially sign elsewhere. Rutherford had to throw an insane amount of money his way despite his health to keep him around long-term. I wouldn't feel sorry for him one bit if he was dealt. It's funny that you mentioned Vancouver, as that is exactly where I could see Cole end up if he were dealt.

Value implies profit greater than loss. IMO, we will lose Commodore after this season (either he will not want to come back because he will want to go to a team with more consistency or he will want too much money and we will let him walk). If I am right, he is a loss with no return unless we trade him now and get something. We will get a better player (or players) in exchange for Cole, but we will also be giving a better player.

Nothing for Commodore if we don't trade him or something if we trade him. I say we trade him.

I see I'm not the only one with serious doubts about our ability to keep Cole long term. The org has made it pretty obvious they intend for Staal for to be the cornerstone of the franchise. Both of their contracts come up after next season and you know the FO will do whatever it takes to keep Staal, likely leaving Cole out of the picture given that we set our own budget regardless of the salary cap. I'll be very surprised if both are still Canes when the 2009-2010 season starts.

I think this question could go either way between Stillman and Cole. Stillman would have value to a contender since he could be a rental, Cole on the other hand could be worth more if you send him to a big money team that thinks it can lock him up long term.

edited to add, I would put Stillman ahead of Commodore. I just can't see teams bending over backwards for him.

Value implies profit greater than loss. IMO, we will lose Commodore after this season (either he will not want to come back because he will want to go to a team with more consistency or he will want too much money and we will let him walk). If I am right, he is a loss with no return unless we trade him now and get something. We will get a better player (or players) in exchange for Cole, but we will also be giving a better player.

Nothing for Commodore if we don't trade him or something if we trade him. I say we trade him.

I understand what you're saying, basically about net value, but I took value in this poll as meaning what gets back the greatest return, and you need to give more to get more. So I said Cole, as he's one of the players that could potentially get us the most back. Not that he's a sure bet to be traded, just he's one other GM's constantly seem to be wanting to get.

I've thought for awhile that moving Commodore might be a good thing since he very well could not be back next year. Though lately I've read some things that he's said about I think on his player page about his favorite things and he lists some good things from his Canes days there, like the fans and how he likes going to Durham Bulls and State games. So there is the possibility that he won't bolt for money, too.

Stiller is in much the same position. A UFA who could not be back, though he has made it clear that he'd like to stay here. I wouldn't mind him being simply a rental player if he came back next year for us at all, especially if we fall out of playoff contention. Could use some good prospects or picks back from when we've rented. So as a rental he'd be a great one to trade if it came to that. If he would come back he'd probably give us the greatest net value in most any scenario (unless JR pulls off some monster of a deal with someone else that heavily favors the Canes).

JR really needs to sit down with a few players and get a better understanding of what chance they'll be back in a Canes sweater next year. If they aren't likely, then put them at the top of the trade list. Hopefully he's already done that, but if not, hopefully he will very soon.

What would dealing Cole do to the chemistry in the locker room? I personally do not favor messing with the forwards right now. We need the addition of a lock-down D-man without weakening our first three lines IMNSHO.

I think Cole definitely has the most value from the list in the poll, but with the recent awesome play from his line with Brindy and Sergei, I wouldn't pull the trigger on Cole. I do want to see Kaberle ship out though.

I don't think trading Cole would be logical. Sure he would attract a fair amount of teams but it really depends on who we want to get in return that would help decide who we WOULD trade. You also have to consider the fact there are different kinds of players: Power fowards, Playmakers, Snipers and so on which would factor in on trades.

Cole is a skilled player and when he's in the game he is amazing. Plus he seems to do well with Staal, Brindy, Whitney, Sammy, and Stillman. Although it is a little too early to be certain about Sammy but so far they look good together.

Even if we get a good player that doesn't mean crap if he doesnt have synergy with our team.

Oh well, my opinion.