The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

I saw this and I just had to share with you before bed

Yeah, we've actually been lumped in with some bigger hockey markets for a while now. Dunno what changed the general opinion, but we're considered a "success story" of hockey in the south.

Maybe it has something to do with some of the names on the team. Brindy for his amazing face-off abilities, Staal because he's... well... Staal. I think you get the idea.

Honestly, I don't care about the reason, but I'm happy that we are finally breaking the Southern Hockey stigma.

There will always be the type to think 'southerners' don't "get" or appreciate hockey, but it is nice to see us mentioned there, even if it is only by one person. As a fanbase, we certainly didn't hurt our case when we stood for all 60 minutes of game 7. From what I understand, no other NHL fanbase had done that before. Oh, and, we're unofficially the loudest house in the NHL, that kinda helps too ;)

I have to agree with the guy though - Atlanta booing virtually every non-Thrasher player on the ice is very disrespectful. It's like they thought the East was playing for 2 points, so they better get under Osgood, Nobokov, and Legace's skin. _shrug_

Not one to comment, but have to speak on this one. Fans were disrespectfull ( Osgood sucks chant), but can't confirm that they were Blueland supporters. My hatred towards another teams travelling fans tells me that a bunch of Slugs fans must have made the trip and found the beer stands early. The lack of respect for the SouthEast will continue for a long time in hockey. Oh Well! 2 of the last 3 Cups will suffice. Let them say what they want. I'll continue to enjoy great Hockey with my BBQ and Greens. GO Canes! Great Job Eric!

It was a sweet game until the mentally retarded wheelchair kid came into the game and allowed what, 4 goals.
Who, Thomas? He made some amazing saves if you're talking about him. Besides, the game didn't get exciting until the last 10 minutes or so, and only because the score was so tight.

I've never really cared what other hockey fans think of the Hurricanes. That's why I hate it when people say that we should drop the "redneck hockey" promotion. If other fans want to hate our fanbase because of it, that is there problem to get over and not ours. With that said, I would much rather see this franchise start to make a consistent profit instead of some elitist Detroit fan proclaiming that we are suddenly "good enough" to warrant an All-Star game. I want to see this franchise have a bright and full future in North Carolina.

The Osgood sucks chant was funny in my opinion. It just goes to show you that the stats you have as a result of the most defensive sound team in the league doesn't mean your an all-star. He got lit-up way more in the young star game than Legacy aswell. Pretty sad Osgood started considering he is not even the best goalie on his team. Oh yeah, as one of Italian heritage, somebody please tell Eddie O (worse colorman in the game) that Spezza is not spelt or pronounced Spessa.

The Osgood sucks chant was funny in my opinion. It just goes to show you that the stats you have as a result of the most defensive sound team in the league doesn't mean your an all-star. He got lit-up way more in the young star game than Legacy aswell. Pretty sad Osgood started considering he is not even the best goalie on his team. Oh yeah, as one of Italian heritage, somebody please tell Eddie O (worse colorman in the game) that Spezza is not spelt or pronounced Spessa.

Thats okay, because he kept calling Vokoun "DiPietro"

Anywho..if does my heart good to see us put there with places like Detroit who are considered "hockeytowns" :)

I've never really cared what other hockey fans think of the Hurricanes. That's why I hate it when people say that we should drop the "redneck hockey" promotion. If other fans want to hate our fanbase because of it, that is there problem to get over and not ours. With that said, I would much rather see this franchise start to make a consistent profit instead of some elitist Detroit fan proclaiming that we are suddenly "good enough" to warrant an All-Star game. I want to see this franchise have a bright and full future in North Carolina.

Good points and I agree. I'd also be willing to bet the Wings poster didn't mean Carolina, probably Colorado or Columbus, because he goes on to make sweeping generalizations about hockey in the South.

Hockeytown has lost its luster anyway and the economy excuse doesn't explain their attendance woes as there seems to be little impact on the Tigers or Pistons.

Meh...one person mentions being ok...another later on said we were just as bad...lol by now we shouldn't care what other people think. We have hockey, and we love it. End of story.

the last 3 sentances says it all....good job.

Fans were disrespectfull ( Osgood sucks chant),

Ah yes, how many times have we heard these chants from 328, and at the time we have either a one goal lead or none at all.

What is it with all these people hating the ASG? They complain about no hitting, no calls, and how Nash got robbed. It's an All-Star game and these players are the best from their teams. They don't want to get hurt and refs arn't going to call anything because the want the game to keep moving. Also, Nash wasn't robbed. Did he deserve it? Yes, but so did three other players. Staal won it because his team won and he got the same amount of points with less ice-time. My .02