The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
zooland-caniacs

Eric Staal- All-Star MVP!!!

Nice correction there itsSTAALgood12...reminds me that at a Canes game recently I saw this woman wearing a personalized Number 12 jersey and the name on it was spelled "STAAL"! :blink:

You mean it was misspelled as "Staal." I saw a guy with with a sweater that had his name misspelled to. And I had to wonder if it was a rip-off you'd find at a flea market. It would be very embarassing to have CHOSEN the name "Staal" and #12 for a personalized jersey. I was really tempted to tell the guy, "Hey, umm... Staal's name is misspelled" :o

Nice correction there itsSTAALgood12...reminds me that at a Canes game recently I saw this woman wearing a personalized Number 12 jersey and the name on it was spelled "STAAL"! :blink:

Anyway, congrats to Staal on the MVP. Nice effort from him to chase that loose puck down behind the net in order to grab it in setting up the game-winning assist.

Looks like I was so excited about the MVP that I forgot how to spell Staal! Whoops! :lol:

Was a great game, but would Versus please shut up Chris what's her name? I do not need an interview with someone every other minute when there is exciting play going on! I would rather hear what the announcer is saying than her inane "how does it feel to be an All Star" rhetoric...

Its the power of the name...

Staal has his name out there... He's becoming a household name with his face slapped on the front of NHL 08, with his name engraved on the Cup, so it was only natural that he wins the ASG MVP when its a tossup between him and someone else...

For a league that is desperately trying to get more fan interest, does this honestly surprise you?

The NHL doesn't vote on the MVP.

While members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association vote on the MVP award, there's no question the NHL was thrilled with Staal's selection.

I'm sure the NHL is thrilled to have Staal nominated, but it ain't just b/c of the name. If it wasn't for Staal's clutch goal and the set up of the GWG, the West wins. Its not like Nash was the only one to ever get a hattrick at the All Star game. He's definetly an honorable mention, but Staal was the reason the East won. Without him, East loses, hence why Staal was the most valuable player on that ice.

Looks like I was so excited about the MVP that I forgot how to spell Staal! Whoops! :lol:

Was a great game, but would Versus please shut up Chris what's her name? I do not need an interview with someone every other minute when there is exciting play going on! I would rather hear what the announcer is saying than her inane "how does it feel to be an All Star" rhetoric...

I thought they'd never get Bettman off the mic :rolleyes: I got sick of his voice real fast.

You mean it was misspelled as "Staal." I saw a guy with with a sweater that had his name misspelled to. And I had to wonder if it was a rip-off you'd find at a flea market. It would be very embarassing to have CHOSEN the name "Staal" and #12 for a personalized jersey. I was really tempted to tell the guy, "Hey, umm... Staal's name is misspelled" :o
Yeah, sorry about that, it was spelled (or, rather, misspelled) "Staal" on her custom Number 12 jersey...maybe it was one of those rip-offs from China. I didn't see the front of the jersey to see if it had the Hurricanes logo upside down like those Chinese knockoffs on eBay! I've seen a guy at the Cane's games that wears one of those too! :blink:

I thought they'd never get Bettman off the mic :rolleyes: I got sick of his voice real fast.

Yeah, and when he was talking to Legace and Manny told him to stop picking on the goalies, Bettman said something like you goalies are getting to big and Manny was like Big? I'm only 5'9 and then bettman said well your equipment is to big. ROFL You would think Bettman would know who he was talking to.

Way to go Staal!!!!!!!!! Great Effort!!!! Keep it up the rest of the season!!

Yea, I hear you. I couldn't believe how long he was on the mic.

BTW, I thought it was kinda funny when the fans booed Bettman when his name was announced while he was on the ice. He just laughed with a couple of guys in suits.

nice job eric.......... ill be the first to admit i was excpecting nash to get it. i guess the voters decided to takesomeone from the winning team for a change. clutch goals for staal is what won it for himover 3 flashy goals from nash. congrats

Nice correction there itsSTAALgood12...reminds me that at a Canes game recently I saw this woman wearing a personalized Number 12 jersey and the name on it was spelled "Staal"! :blink:

hahaha thats hilarious

thats like my biggest pet peeve, people spelling his name wrong

at a Cool Bars, the papers that get passed out, they spelled Staal's name wrong on it :rolleyes:

But congrats again Staalsy :)

Beast of the East!

A lot of people who posted on TSN said Staal didn't deserve it and Nash got robbed. They also said the NHL dropped the ball on the MVP for not giving it to Nash

1. The MVP is voted on by the writers, not the leage. If you want to complain about who won, blame the writers.

2 Staal deserved it just as much as Nash. Sure, Nash got a hat-trick, but Staal got 3 points with less ice-time.

Your point is not supported by the facts (I editted this myself for content). If you watched the game you would have seen Staal was all over the ice making opportunities and taking care of it defensively as well. That is not true of many of the other players including Nash. Watch the game film for the facts.

Personnaly I think Dipietro deserved the award but since he did not end up the GW goalie he was out.

OK first of all, Nash scored a hat trick and was arguably the best player on the ice last night. Staal played a great game, but in the end, the only reason I personally believe he won was because he was on the winning team, set up the winning goal, and is the undeniably bigger 'it' name in hockey right now between the two. He is the one who is on the cover of the hockey game. He is the one who is leading off the Reebok jersey campaign. He is becoming one of the new poster boys of the NHL. Yes, Nash is a good player by all means, but he isn't at the center of a marketing campaign by the NHL and others. Staal is, and it'll be easier to just add All Star Game MVP to the list of other accomplishments he's had and it'll be easier for the NHL to market him in the future to the younger fans.

Do I think it was a conspiracy, no of course not. Staal certainly deserved the award just as much as anyone else, but you can't convince me that him having his name already out there like he does didn't influence the voting in the ASG last night. Was it the lone reason he won? No. Was it the piece that set him apart from everyone else, in my opinion, yes it was.

Don't the sports writers have a say in the MVP. Overal contribution to the team gets it for me. 1st goal, Tie goal & assist on the winner.

Good job Staal, You can park the the ride at 803 Olive Street on your way back :lol:

OK first of all, Nash scored a hat trick and was arguably the best player on the ice last night. Staal played a great game, but in the end, the only reason I personally believe he won was because he was on the winning team, set up the winning goal, and is the undeniably bigger 'it' name in hockey right now between the two. He is the one who is on the cover of the hockey game. He is the one who is leading off the Reebok jersey campaign. He is becoming one of the new poster boys of the NHL. Yes, Nash is a good player by all means, but he isn't at the center of a marketing campaign by the NHL and others. Staal is, and it'll be easier to just add All Star Game MVP to the list of other accomplishments he's had and it'll be easier for the NHL to market him in the future to the younger fans.

Do I think it was a conspiracy, no of course not. Staal certainly deserved the award just as much as anyone else, but you can't convince me that him having his name already out there like he does didn't influence the voting in the ASG last night. Was it the lone reason he won? No. Was it the piece that set him apart from everyone else, in my opinion, yes it was.

I was there Model and Staal deserved it. Nash was great getting his goals but Staal was all over the place passing and setting other guys up all game. I agree that Staal is definately being marketed by the NHL but after watching him all weekend, our young phenom has developed into every bit the spokesman the NHL was hoping he would be. Ive never seen him kid around and laugh as he did all weekend and he clearly has the respect of his peers.

I was there Model and Staal deserved it. Nash was great getting his goals but Staal was all over the place passing and setting other guys up all game. I agree that Staal is definately being marketed by the NHL but after watching him all weekend, our young phenom has developed into every bit the spokesman the NHL was hoping he would be. Ive never seen him kid around and laugh as he did all weekend and he clearly has the respect of his peers.

^^^

i agree with you.. he was all over the ice and at one point I really noticed him trying to set up kovulchuck(spelling??) a few times after he got robbed. He deserved it, to me it doesnt really matter how many goals you get its how much of a differance they make. without staals goals and assist, the east would of lost.

I dunno, with how much the D-men respectfully dont initiate contact during this gentlemens game and let guys go. I dont feel Staal was flying anymore then some other guys as a result of the no contact.

If the West won Nash was mvp....East won so it was Staal. I dont think thats to far of a strech and I dont think their was a conspiracy.

I just want to throw this out there....that everyone is saying that Staal got it because the East won, but the last several years the MVP has come from the losing side. Just saying.

I just want to throw this out there....that everyone is saying that Staal got it because the East won, but the last several years the MVP has come from the losing side. Just saying.

True, but for the last couple years, there's been a clear cut MVP. They just happened to be on the wrong team The fact that the East won probably helped Staal beat out Nash.