The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NYRWANTSTHECUP

Ranking from 1 - 6

1-Wesley. Leadership skills are great, will put his body in the way of the puck, eldest on the team (has the skill and is wise), and though he is not the fastest, he will push himself to his fullest potential.

2-Gleason. Heck... he's just a beast!!!! He plays good and hard, game in and out.

3-Seidenberg. I have warmed up to him. I notice his quiet play... but he just needs to make it stand out better.

4-Hedican. Elder like Wes, but he doesn't have the same skills. He tries hard... give him props for that.

5-Commodore. Last year I may have given him a 3. His play this year... I'm not sure why he's not scoring as much or making real "stand out" play.

6-Kaberle- LARGE slump... but hope he gets better.

7-Wallin. I'm not sure what happened to him... does he even still play for us? His play makes me think differently...

Tanabe: N/A due to injury

Pairings:

Seidenberg-Commodore

Wesley-Gleason

Hedican-Kaberle

Wallin... floater

Didn't we have a thread like this before? http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...c=10446&hl=

wow its just a massive hate-fest of wallin and kaberle...

Yea...I had Wallin @ like 5...he's been one of our better guys for years now just not doing well this season. Some people though on here have him as low as 7 or 8... :blink: Kaberle's ranking is deserved.

Yea...I had Wallin @ like 5...he's been one of our better guys for years now just not doing well this season. Some people though on here have him as low as 7 or 8... :blink: Kaberle's ranking is deserved.

Wallin's got the worst +/- of our defensemen. That's the reason I put him down so far.

wow its just a massive hate-fest of wallin and kaberle...

Not meaning to be hateful, but Wallin and Kaberle deserve twin MVP awards for the opponents of the Hurricanes. Their play this year has been simply disastrous. Hedican's play is only a small piece ahead of Wallin/Kaberle. Commodore's penalties have been terrible in terms of hockey intelligence. Some penalties are understandable and certainly overly zealous hitting would be a delightful change for Commodore. Commodore's penalties are usually either the result of sheer laziness or self-indulgence. It's hard to find three shifts out of the group. Gleason has shown tremendous heart and intensity. Wesley plays with the wiles of a veteran whose body can't take the pounding that a 25 year old can take. Borer will hit and has yet to make a mistake that simply destroys the team. At this stage of Borer's career being conservative and playing well within his limits shows hockey intelligence. Seidenberg plays fine with healthy, but needs to speed every waking moment when not practicing studying film. With too much regularity, he makes some of the most bizarre decisions on the ice -- like he just came off of planet Zeno -- then he goes through shifts playing quite well.

Wallin's got the worst +/- of our defensemen. That's the reason I put him down so far.

And for his NHL career he's a minus 49... :o . So why am I thinking of him as being one of our better D-men for a long while? lol...must be the miracle at molson.

And for his NHL career he's a minus 49... :o . So why am I thinking of him as being one of our better D-men for a long while? lol...must be the miracle at molson.

Thats because +/- doesn't mean as much as it looks like. It really depends on what situations you pick up your ice time in. I haven't been following games closely enough to know at the moment but in the past I remember Wallin playing against other teams top lines more often. And when that happens you end up being a - more often regardless of your play.

4) Gleason

4) Wesley

4) Seidenberg

4) Commodore

5) Wallin

6) Hedican

7) Tanabe

8) Kaberle

See what I did there? We have no #1 or #2, or even #3 defensemen.

exactly

i dont get the obsession with gleason, I guess when your surrounded by a bunch of second rate players you become the stud.

exactly

i dont get the obsession with gleason.

me neither. He's doing good but hasn't developed into a top pair guy yet.

exactly

i dont get the obsession with gleason.

me neither. He's doing good but hasn't developed into a top pair guy yet.

kaberle is a great player, hes in a slump right now, im confident he'll be better soon...

No! No! No! Never has been...never will be.

He's definitely the weakest link.

Occasionallymakes a good play, but most of the time he's just weak and way too tentative in whatever he's trying to do whether it's passing, shooting, checking (ha!), to scrumming for the puck.

Never has been? Um yeah he has been good before... what Kaberle are you watching? :huh:

He's been acceptable before. For brief periods he's been good but for the majority of career he's been mediocre or worse.

No! No! No! Never has been...never will be.

He's definitely the weakest link.

Occasionallymakes a good play, but most of the time he's just weak and way too tentative in whatever he's trying to do whether it's passing, shooting, checking (ha!), to scrumming for the puck.

God you know nothing do you? He had 44 points in 2005-06. That year he truly showed how good he can be. I really want to see him get back into his top performance level. This is a truly talented player who needs to break through this long slump.

God you know nothing do you? He had 44 points in 2005-06. That year he truly showed how good he can be. I really want to see him get back into his top performance level. This is a truly talented player who needs to break through this long slump.

:):):) THANK YOU SO MUCH ICEKOLDCANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you guys like Kabs, but how long does a player get to be in a "slump" before it is time to move on to better options?

This is a team, a business..and we are paying him a lot of money for this to be a player rehab of sorts. Time for him to shape up or ship out. That goes for the entire team really.

What is it that is so bad about Kaberle though? Like what specific aspects of his game need to change? I see people calling Gleason the best on our team but Gleason and Kabs both have only 10 points and negative +/-'s.

What is it that is so bad about Kaberle though? Like what specific aspects of his game need to change? I see people calling Gleason the best on our team but Gleason and Kabs both have only 10 points and negative +/-'s.

Gleason fights for the pucks though and makes attempts to get the puck from opponents. I have literally seen Kabs give the puck to the other team to avoid getting hit. He needs to be tougher on the puck and not give it up so easily. He needs to battle for it when the other team has it. And instead of watching breakaways, he needs to make attempts to stop them.

And like I said...EVERYONE needs to step it up. ALL of the D-men on this team can improve some aspect of their game.

Kaberle sucks in his own end. He doesn't hit, he turns the puck over and he's just horrible in his own end. In 2005-06, his horrible defense play was overlooked b/c he was putting up the offense. This year he isn't putting up the offense and his defense still sucks, hence why people are not happy with him.

I get he isn't great in his own end, but if he's putting up the points, then you can overlook his terrible defense. But he isn't putting up the offense so he is a waste of money right now.

A little harsh, don't ya think? Kaberle had one good year...and that's it. His career has been more of an anomaly than anything else...an inconsistent defensemen.

So if Kaberle's carrer has been so bad, why is he in the NHL? :huh:

Because you can be below average and still be in the NHL. 49% of the defensemen in the league are below average, thats a lot of guys who are still in the league. I don't think anyone is saying they can do better than Kaberle, but they are saying there is a large number of players in the league who do a better job, some of whom are paid less than him.

I think kabs is wonderful player. I think its time for him to go somewhere else and its just not going to work for him here. He needs to go somewhere new have new teammates and get his career back on track.

Most of those points were off of secondary assists on one of the league's highest scoring teams. That'll get you 44 points real fast.