The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NYRWANTSTHECUP

Ranking from 1 - 6

ok, my 0.02 worth - rankings and exactly why so:

1) Wesley - may be slow, but plays better defensive positioning than most in the league. a veteran with great "hogkey sense" - nobody makes better defensive decisions night in and night out.

2) Gleason - beast - don't get near the boards with the puck when he's on the ice!

3) Seidenberg - well rounded, makes reasonably sound defensive decisions, can hit, doesn't take too many sloppy penalties, and has an offensive flare that sometimes shines through - notice that our PP has stunk up the ice ever since he got replaced by Kaberle?

4) Commodore - can be a beast when he's on his game, but takes too many sloppy penalties (some of which are deserved, but it seems that refs have their eyes on him and he gets called for alot of stuff that other defensemen get away with)

5) Wallin - solid defensively, but not outstanding - rare lapses in positioning in the defesive zone, but not fast enough to play with a partner who's weak defensively.

6) Hedican - great skater, not as aggressive as he used to be defensively, sometimes makes the "why the heck did you do that?" play with the puck.

7) Tanabe - been out for a while, but looked to be getting his game on track before he got the concussion (would probably be higher if he was healthy - def. higher if he'd kept playing the way he was)

8) Kaberle - weak on the puck when he bothers to play defense - fairly consistently out of position (a large part of Wallin's poor +/-) makes an occaisional offensive play. forces wingers / centers who should be thinking "offense" to pick up the slack defensively. (also of note: he was playing ok the first month (notice that Wards save% and our record were good?), but ever since Tampa exposed him as our weakest link on Nov 8th other teams have basically used and abused him)

Not really saying much there, colesy. I question whether Gleason will ever develop any consistency or better judgement.

The last game vs. the Islanders (the fifth goal for the Isles), pretty much sums everything up. The Isles are bringing out

the puck and a 3-on-2 is developing. Instead of playing it safe, he inexplicably tries to poke check the puck and it turns into

a 3-on-1. They score and it's 5-3. Or, he'll take himself out of position to make a big hit, an opposing forward slips into the

area he just vacated. His -6 is fairly well deserved.

And he also tied the Franchise record with a +5 one game. When he is on his game, he's the best defenseman out there. He's a 25 year old defenseman, defenseman take longer to find the consistancy. Commodore is 28 and he still makes horrible decisions with his free hand. As Gleason gets more experience, the hockey better decision making will come. You also have to keep in mind, that the guy has played in 3 different systems, Ottawa's system had him more offensive-minded, LA had him more defensive-minded, now being in Carolina he has to learn when and when not to pinch. If the guy can stay in a system, which I hope Carolina holds onto him, he will be a teams best defenseman.

And tell me one defenseman besides Wesley that actually makes smart decisions, b/c honestly I have yet to see one make the smart decisions on a consistant basis. And all these other defenseman are older than Gleason.

1. Gleason (by far the best. His presence on the ice is something this team has not seen in years)

2. Wesley (slower but best positional and smartest D-man in the league. Play another year.)

3. Wallin (Physical force and can get shots on goal. Watch him skate down the slot for a shot. Should do it more

4. Commodore (Plays with grit but takes stupid penalties. Too much emotion like Sean Hill. Could play well but at the wrong time jams his stick in the $%#* of the opposing team player because he was hit)

5. Seidenberg (faster but not too physical. Gets caught out of position very often )

6. Hedican (the original puck moving D-man. When he can skate the puck up, he moves up the list. I like him on the team and in Raleigh but I want his $2.5M for a young D-man for next year after he retires)

7. Tanabe (years ago I could not stand him and his SE grin. I now think he plays smarter and when he can skate and plays smart, he has a place in the league. Problem in the past is he just puts in shift time but I know like his play. )

8. Kaberle (Never understood the 4 year expensive contract. Said that the day he signed it. Outside of bringing in Ozo have I ever questioned a JR decision so much.)

OK, here's my question. How would adding a star defensman though a trade affect these pairings?

I see some clear trends in the rankings provided on this thread:

Gleason and Wesley are cosidered #1 and #2 overall, nearly even split for #1.

Seidenberg and Commodore come in #3 and #4

Hedican and Wallin are #5 and #6

Kaberle is far and away last. Even we fans can nearly all of us see that the Kabster is weak.

Of course it would depend on the player we got, but assuming we get a star, clear first-pair defensman, I would go:

1. Star Dman and Commodore: would settle Commie down a bit and take the pressure off him. He would ge getting a promotion, but it would allow us a strong second pairing.

2. Gleason and Wesley: A pretty solid #2 pairing for any team. Put the young up and comer with the smartest positional vet in the league.

Remember, these two pairings could get the lion's share of minutes.

3. Seidenberg and Hedican: not our hitting dmen, but should move the puck up fairly well. Can plug in Wallin if needed.

4. Wallin: extra if needed

Kaberle: finds greener pastures as part of the trade in question. Thus gone.

You can't tell me that just adding that one strong defenseman wouldn't make a big difference. Well you can tell me, but I won't beleive you. Anyway, how would you fit in a new star defenseman?

What is it that is so bad about Kaberle though? Like what specific aspects of his game need to change? I see people calling Gleason the best on our team but Gleason and Kabs both have only 10 points and negative +/-'s.
Kaberle has played 142:56 on the powerplay, Gleason 13:53. That Kaberle has equal points in that much more PP time is pathetic.

Gleason and Kaberle were paired together for the first half of the season or so, so you'd expect they'd have similar +/-. Since they were broken up, Gleason has been playing tough minutes on the first pairing while Kaberle has been playing soft minutes on the third...yet their +/- stays the same. That says that Gleason fairs well against the other teams' best players while Kaberle can't hold his own against third and fourth lines.

Kaberle has played 142:56 on the powerplay, Gleason 13:53. That Kaberle has equal points in that much more PP time is pathetic.

Gleason and Kaberle were paired together for the first half of the season or so, so you'd expect they'd have similar +/-. Since they were broken up, Gleason has been playing tough minutes on the first pairing while Kaberle has been playing soft minutes on the third...yet their +/- stays the same. That says that Gleason fairs well against the other teams' best players while Kaberle can't hold his own against third and fourth lines.

but, our powerplay is not so good right now, and when it was good, kabs wasnt on it remember? no defenseman was...

Edit: All this kabs discussing aside, we really have no great defenseman, next year hedican and wesley will probably be retired leaving 2 spaces so maybe we'll get someone good

dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but tsn gives the canes/norris award to seidenberg. that should say something.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=549''>http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=549' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=549[/post]

ha and also look who the underachiever is..Kaberle.

says something there too.

I thought kabs did well tonight, was even in 17:10

Hedican did really well too, had some really great checks

Kaberle did fine.

Hedican wasn't bad, except he seemed insistent on putting the Rangers back in the game. Took 2 stupid penalties at the worst possible time.

Kaberle did fine.

Hedican wasn't bad, except he seemed insistent on putting the Rangers back in the game. Took 2 stupid penalties at the worst possible time.

You right Frogg,,when Kabs is invisible he is at his best!!

Just what we needed after a win... more Kaberle bashing :rolleyes:

Frank did fine. I saw one play that stood out to me... he just stood in one place. But then again, the puck was no where near him, but he was just watching.

Hedican... well Frog, you were right. Other than his bad-timing on penalties, he was okay. I have to say though, Frank stood out to me more than Bret... Kaberle is never, EVER invisible. Don't say that about any Hurricane player... they all have good plays once in a while.

Just what we needed after a win... more Kaberle bashing :rolleyes:

Frank did fine. I saw one play that stood out to me... he just stood in one place. But then again, the puck was no where near him, but he was just watching.

Hedican... well Frog, you were right. Other than his bad-timing on penalties, he was okay. I have to say though, Frank stood out to me more than Bret... Kaberle is never, EVER invisible. Don't say that about any Hurricane player... they all have good plays once in a while.

I disagree lol. Kabs made the silent plays that he needs to make; that is not putting himself in the spotlight or getting in trouble. Hedican looked better imo, even though he took some penalties.

I thought kabs did well tonight, was even in 17:10

Hedican did really well too, had some really great checks

best I'll give him (Kaberle) for tonight - didn't do anything glaringly stupid and/or detrimental to the team, but still - he got knocked off the puck way too easily, even turned the puck over AND got put on his backside in our own end at the same time... the Rags' fans can't stand Malik, if only we could trade Kaberle for Malik... at least Malik plays defense.