The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

How would you rate your experience going to the Cane's games?

Keep the comments coming folks. Remember to keep the feedback about the in-game experience. The cost of our tickets and again, the parking situation is not something this survey can address.

Does anyone go to other events in the arena besides Canes games?

Thanks.

Overall, good experience. Recommendations:

1. Announcements encouraging upperdeck spectators to SIT BACK in their seats so that others can see (esp children).

2. Posting, on the Jumbotron, scores from around the league.

3. Better, more consistent replays on the Jumbotron.

4. Turn the volume down on Ron the Refs mic.

1. Announcements encouraging upperdeck spectators to SIT BACK in their seats so that others can see (esp children).

Dont know if you were there last night or not but I thought they did a good job with the replays, especially the one where Avery barely caught a stick in his face but tried going for the Academy Award, LOL. (the ref wasn't buying).

Around the league scores are posted during the intermissions but I too would like to see more updates on the SE div now that every game is so crucial.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dont know if you were there last night or not but I thought they did a good job with the replays, especially the one where Avery barely caught a stick in his face but tried going for the Academy Award, LOL. (the ref wasn't buying).

Around the league scores are posted during the intermissions but I too would like to see more updates on the SE div now that every game is so crucial.

Thanks for the feedback.

How about an out of town score board toggeling between games located near the shots on goal counter?

I don't think parking is really that bad. You have to expect it to be slow when all of the parking is right near the arena. The food may not be spectacular, but you can get some good grub. The BBQ isn't bad, and the Calzones are eatable. I am still smelling the peppers and onions from the sauceage stand from last night and it is almost noon. Beer selection is pretty good minus the price, but it is a luxary I guess. I don't get to involved with what is on the jumbo. Why do some seats have cup holders while others don't?

Overall, the RBC Center provides a great experience and we are very satisfied customers who have seats in the lower bowl (Section 101). I have no complaints at all, only suggestions/questions:

1. I have never understood why Subway sponsors the Best Seat in the House Subway Challenge, but there is no Subway concession. That would be a great addition to the food concessions, IMO.

2. Why did they stop offering Amstel Light at the beer stands in the 101-104 premium concession area? Can you bring it back? (And BTW - have to mention that Lee and the guy who runs the other beer stand are both GREAT! Very personable, friendly, they do a great job.)

I am in the club level and the beer choices are awful. I have to go up or down to get a decent draft or try to wade through the VIP Bar which nearly takes the whole intermission. It is great and all that bud sponsors the place but I haven't drank one in at least ten years.

That's my complaint. Oh and fans leaving before the final horn sounds. I realize some have to get to work and school early but total disresepectful to leave before the game is over, regardless of the score, support your team.

I have had nothing but great experiences with the RBC ticket staff. Big kudos to Karen! When I was in a wheel chair and on crutches last year, it was fairly easy to get my tickets changed to the handicapped section. My friends, of course, could not sit with me, but my husband could. The Rex folks were great, putting me in a wheel chair instead of letting me hobble up to 304 on crutches. They were right there at the end of the game to get me back downstairs.

The only problems I have;

Ushers letting people in during puck in play.

People standing in front of their seats chit-chatting while puck is in play.

When I was in the handicapped section, people would sneak in. One girl snuck in and then screamd...and I mean SCREAMED David Tanabe's name for the next 40 minutes. We were all about to assualt her with crutches and such.

Can't hear very well in 304, but I know inprovements are coming. Ron the Ref is the only thing we can hear clearly!

One pet peeve of mine. We sit in the dead center of our row. When I was in a walking boot cast, it was tough for me to stand up and down. The first time you have to get by me, it's pretty noticable. So when you sit all the way to the left, why...WHY do you have to try and crawl over me to get to the stairs on the right when there are stairs on your side? To be that much closer to the Goodberrys Kiosk?

I actually work at the RBC Center (won't say where) and I do read these kind of things. If I see something bad about my department I try to make sure me and the people I work with are aware of it and try to do better. It is nice to see fan feedback. I hope we never take the fans for granted or treat them badly, they are the reasons we have jobs there. Thank you all for sharing and thank you to the moderator for letting some things be said. Some things can't/won't be changed (mainly prices), but if we treat the fans good they hopefully will feel like they got their moneys worth for the event.

I actually work at the RBC Center (won't say where) and I do read these kind of things. If I see something bad about my department I try to make sure me and the people I work with are aware of it and try to do better. It is nice to see fan feedback. I hope we never take the fans for granted or treat them badly, they are the reasons we have jobs there. Thank you all for sharing and thank you to the moderator for letting some things be said. Some things can't/won't be changed (mainly prices), but if we treat the fans good they hopefully will feel like they got their moneys worth for the event.

Glad you read it and happy to do it. The Canes organization and the RBC center are very good at listening to concerns. When its within their control, they're happy to address most of them. I think members would be amazed at how many people read this board for opinions about lots of things. We have tons of members that represent a good cross section of the whole fan base, so why not tap this resource to better the whole experience for everyone.

We've seen in this thread that there are some who will find fault in just about anything, but we've also seen some good constructive criticism that may help make some changes that will make the whole experience of going to a game better for all of us.

Glad you read it and happy to do it. The Canes organization and the RBC center are very good at listening to concerns. When its within their control, they're happy to address most of them. I think members would be amazed at how many people read this board for opinions about lots of things. We have tons of members that represent a good cross section of the whole fan base, so why not tap this resource to better the whole experience for everyone.

We've seen in this thread that there are some who will find fault in just about anything, but we've also seen some good constructive criticism that may help make some changes that will make the whole experience of going to a game better for all of us.

I was in Atlanta for the Canes game at Philips Arena (Jan 4th I think) when the Canes won 4-3, and the Buffalo game that Sunday aswell (Altanta won 5-2). It was an interesting experience, but I found myself saying to my brother: "man, ____ is so much better at the RBC center!" about everything.

First: The parking - at the RBC Center, $8 gets you a great parking spot guaranteed. It might take a while to get out, but... like someone already posted, when you have 17,000 people trying to go in one direction all at once, there is going to be traffic. There, parking was next to the Arena, but it was like $15+ and you had a bit of a walk to get to the arena, probably having to cross traffic, also.

Second: Atmosphere - this might be more like a portrait of fanbase, but the fans in Atlanta were a lot less "child-friendly," meaning, they were a lot more crude and vulgar. Not a place I would take my kids. Example, they booed the Canes when they came onto the ice - not that big of a deal, but I don't think many Canes fans boo visiting teams like that. Also, Tim Teebo (spelling?) the Florida Gators QB as in a luxary box and the jumbotron camera put him up on the scoreboard. Everyone in my secion was shouting cursewords and flipping their middle fingers at him. Also, they put Caniacs on the jumbotron and made fun of them with graphics saying stuff like "Looser!" And the stands were dirty.

Third: The "ice technicians" at the Philips Arena were the cheer leaders for the Thrashers. They didn't do all that great a job with keeping the ice clean and smooth, they just looked good doing it. I saw a lot of chunks of ice and debris all over, often causing officials to have to go pick them up. Here, our techs do a great job, from what I see.

I miss the programs that get handed out during games. At the Philips Arena, they hand out programs. It is a great little keepsake for people who can't afford to buy season tickets. And, it will help people who are trying to get into Carolina Hockey to learn more about our players.

I agree that we need more replays on the jumbotron.

I would love to have an announcer explain why the refs stopped the play on the ice. Saying stuff like "Offsides - visiting team" or "icing" or "out of play on the home team" etc. Often, I don't know why they stop the game and people around me ask "What happened?" I am trying to get my friends into hockey and it is bad for me to say "Dude, I have no idea why they stopped."

I'm glad the soundsystem is getting better. That would be a complaint.

That is all I have. Keep up the GREAT work, everyone. I am very satisfied with everything.

I have already commented but I thought of something else. Again, I have no issue, but a suggestion.

I usually sit in the premier seating but sometimes I sit upstairs when ticket is not in 24 game plan. The one thing I notice about not sitting in the Premier section (upstairs and on the ends in lower bowl) is if you order a Hot dog or something, there is no place to eat it without going back to your seat. I need some place to put my beer and hotdog down and use my free hand to eat. I usually use a water fountain which I am sure is not good or if at all, I use the top of the trashcan. For the most part, I would like to see some sort of tables scattered around for this purpose. The premier section has them and I use them to eat messy food like hot dogs or even BBQ sandwiches.

I know it means more expense to clean and people to clean and also, many people just rest aginst them while not eating or plop thier young childs nasty backside on top of them, but a good thing to have if eating quickly.

I would love to have an announcer explain why the refs stopped the play on the ice. Saying stuff like "Offsides - visiting team" or "icing" or "out of play on the home team" etc. Often, I don't know why they stop the game and people around me ask "What happened?" I am trying to get my friends into hockey and it is bad for me to say "Dude, I have no idea why they stopped."

When I was "new" to hockey..I brought a radio to the game and listened to Chuck K. It gave me a lot better understanding of what was going on. Not to mention it makes following Chuck when all I have is a radio easier.

I'm very glad to hear there's a new sound system coming, a lot of times I can't hear some of the sound bites (Ask the Canes, etc.) and I'm halfway up Section 108. As for the concession prices, I would like to point out that a lot of the stations are run by non-profits and they get to pocket 50% of the proceeds (admin, please correct me if I'm wrong). So throw back that beer knowing you just helped junior buy a new band uniform! Yep, I'm a former band geek..... :rolleyes:

I'm very glad to hear there's a new sound system coming, a lot of times I can't hear some of the sound bites (Ask the Canes, etc.) and I'm halfway up Section 108. As for the concession prices, I would like to point out that a lot of the stations are run by non-profits and they get to pocket 50% of the proceeds (admin, please correct me if I'm wrong). So throw back that beer knowing you just helped junior buy a new band uniform! Yep, I'm a former band geek..... :rolleyes:

I will correct a little here. Yes, there are a lot of non-profit orgs running the stands. I know they get a percentage of the sales (I wouldn't say 50%). I know they appreciate the sales because it does help their orgs, anything from band, swim teams, church groups, etc. So, yes, go and enjoy knowing you are really giving back to the community in your own small way.

I will correct a little here. Yes, there are a lot of non-profit orgs running the stands. I know they get a percentage of the sales (I wouldn't say 50%). I know they appreciate the sales because it does help their orgs, anything from band, swim teams, church groups, etc. So, yes, go and enjoy knowing you are really giving back to the community in your own small way.

If it was 50%, I'd start my own non-profit group ;)

If it was 50%, I'd start my own non-profit group ;)

The folks interested in reading the results of this thread have no control over parking issues outside the arena, nor do they have any control over the prices set for concessions or the conditions of the ice.

Well, I'm going to repost my response for the third time as the person who keeps deleting my response has yet to inform me of why he/she is deleting my post.

If the RBC mgmt wants to know the pulse of their STHs, then all they have to do is send out a mass emailing, like they always do. I find this thread exasperating and not quite as it appears.

And as Bob Dylan would say: there ain't nothing wrong with this post.

Edit:

And I've just sent off an email to my STH rep.

Overall very good. I'm in lower bowl and have these comments:

1, The food outside the Premier Area is better than inside. Why does the Premier area have a standard concession? There are times when I go straight to the game, so "dinner" is outside the Premier Area.

2. After asking for it all year, Butter Pecan Goodberry's is back!!! I had a running joke of asking for it all year, and last night the joke/shock was on me. Yes, someone listened :)

3. Parking flow (Trinity entrance/exits for General Parking) gets screwed up from time-to-time, but I know that's out of RBC control and you didn't ask.

4. Lower the volume on the mindless noise between every break. I'd like to chat with the folks around my seat as they're into the game, too.

5. Insist the ushers hold the flow right before the puck drops.

6. Use the Jumbotron to suggest that leaving your seat is best done when the play stops and not during the action.

6. Use the Jumbotron to suggest that leaving your seat is best done when the play stops and not during the action.

I like this idea. At Red Sox games in Fenway Park, they have each player one-by-one up on the huge jumbotron reciting each etiquette rule of the ball park. Having the players say it gets people's attention...unless of course they're STH's and are there at every home game and its old news.

I like this idea. At Red Sox games in Fenway Park, they have each player one-by-one up on the huge jumbotron reciting each etiquette rule of the ball park. Having the players say it gets people's attention...unless of course they're STH's and are there at every home game and its old news.

I have several comments:

I'm a STH in the upper deck. Occasionally, I take a friend who is in a wheel chair. The problem I have is that there does not seem to be a good way to get handicap seating for him ahead of time unless I buy extra tickets to the game. I can exchange the tickets that night, but if I don't get there early enough (be waiting at the door when it opens), I'm not getting a wheel chair seat. It took several tries for the ticket rep to finally get me a seat. I would like to see a policy that allows STH to have 2-3 advance handicap exchanges for a game in advance. I know, not a common situation....but the night it happened I was faced with leaving before the game started because I couldn't get the exchange done...something I tried to do a week in advance.

I like to watch the hockey game...but I miss things. So, when the other team scores, I get to see Steve Martin stomping on his luggage (Planes Trains and Automobiles) instead of the goal by the other team. A few more replays would be nice. ...of good plays and bad.

Some things just seem dumb to do... for instance, the NHL Shootout during 1st intermission. I can't see the puck on the jumbotron. It's not that exciting to me. Rather than have the announcer mention why the stoppage in play, why not use the jumbotron side panels to briefly flash what happened. Even including penalties. THey used to do that.

I have enjoyed the experience at the RBC Center. I feel safe. It is family friendly. The people there have been approachable and helpful.