The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Post Game Analysis, Jan. 31 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Yep you got that summed up fairly nice. Who went down on the ice and crawled into the gate at the Canes bench? We could not tell from 334... And Wesley could not handle the puck tonight around the net. Way too may scary moments there.

Yep you got that summed up fairly nice. Who dent down on the ice and crawled into the gate at the Canes bench? We could not tell from 334...

Cole...took a knee to knee shot. Appears to be ok, though.

Thats the type of game we need to win.We didn't play like we did against the Rags but we found a way to win. I agree with the bad pinch by Commie but that was a soft goal by Cam. Whitney got back and covered for Commie and Cam had a great look at the shot,,he just went down way to early.That was a very soft goal,other than that Cam looked pretty good. Wasn't their best but they got it done,bottom line.Looks like Walker and Gleason are jumping in and helping with getting this team headed in the right direction. Way to go boys!!!

Yep you got that summed up fairly nice. Who went down on the ice and crawled into the gate at the Canes bench? We could not tell from 334... And Wesley could not handle the puck tonight around the net. Way too may scary moments there.

Cole... Took a knee to knee shot.

Just a few comments.

1. Wallin should not have been out there in the last minute. He's -14 for a reason, and his failed clear led to the goal. If Brindamour won the faceoff, there was no reason it shouldn't have been cleared immediately.

2. Our PP is terrible. How is it not last in the league by now?

3. It's the CBS line, not the BCS line.

That game wore me out :)

Once again we play behind. No surprise there, I actually think I'm immune to it, its like I expect the other team to score within the first 5 minutes. So to me being down 1-0, what else is new. But like Tuesday, they gave up the early goal, and buckled down. Gleason rips a shot from the blueline and it finds the back of the net. Nice shot. Tie game. Canes continued to control the puck the rest of the 2nd and kept the leafs out of our zone for a majority of the period. Another shot from Gleason, this time, it gets tipped in by Walker. A defenseman with a 2 point night, am I dreaming.

Once they took the lead, I thought the Canes sat back and watched a bit too much. Our sitting back led to a missed Sundin shot, a shot he normally wouldn't miss. Should have been a wake up call then, but nope, they continued to watch, and by luck, Blake's goal was called off. Should have been a wake up, but not yet. Craziness going on in front of Cam and Gleason helps Cam by laying down in the crease and bringing the puck up towards Cam so he could cover up. Seconds left, Brindy wins the face off, but somehow, we don't clear and bam puck goes in off of Sundins skate, tie game. You kidding me.

Leafs take a penalty, Wizard works his magic, finds the Captain and Canes win 3-2 in OT.

Not the prettiest game and I didn't think we played as good as Tuesday, but we need the 2 points, so I will take them anyway we can get.

So.. does this mean that the Curse of the Black Pack is lifted?

I was really, really concerned when that tying goal went it. Was about to ask Canes Management to have a White, Red, and Silver pack next year.

Just a few comments.

1. Wallin should not have been out there in the last minute. He's -14 for a reason, and his failed clear led to the goal. If Brindamour won the faceoff, there was no reason it shouldn't have been cleared immediately.

Yep. Gleason has been our best defenseman over the last month and had a monster game tonight, but he's not out there for the last defensive zone draw (despite Toronto taking a timeout, allowing him to rest) in favor of...Wallin?!

Yep. Gleason has been our best defenseman over the last month and had a monster game tonight, but he's not out there for the last defensive zone draw (despite Toronto taking a timeout, allowing him to rest) in favor of...Wallin?!

I question I 've been wondering about since that faceoff.

I think the highlight of the night was Laroses move in the 2nd period.
Yes, had LaRose been able to finish (there I go dreaming again :rolleyes: ), that would have been a highlight reel goal for sure.

Once they took the lead, I thought the Canes sat back and watched a bit too much. Our sitting back led to a missed Sundin shot, a shot he normally wouldn't miss. Should have been a wake up call then, but nope, they continued to watch...

Yup. I'd sum it up like this:

Got LEAD.

Got LAX.

Got LUCKY.

Bottom line, they found a way to win.

Ok. Question time.

What's with the blind clear up the boards? Tonight is not the first time this has cost us and the times it could have cost us are more than I care to count. Tonight Wallin was unpressured. He could have just held it and scrummed on the boards until time runs out. It appears to be a panic thing. You hockey guys clue me in.

Ok. Question time.

What's with the blind clear up the boards? Tonight is not the first time this has cost us and the times it could have cost us are more than I care to count. Tonight Wallin was unpressured. He could have just held it and scrummed on the boards until time runs out. It appears to be a panic thing. You hockey guys clue me in.

Wallin's a terrible defenseman. That's pretty much it.

Actually, the whole team seems to have a serious problem clearing the zone. Don't think anyone knows why, but that's the way it's been for quite a while.

Ok. Question time.

Defensemen who can't pass or skate usually elect to rim the puck around the boards as a way of getting it out of the zone instead of (A) passing it to a forward or (B ) skating the puck up the ice. We have a lot of those type of defensemen. It's why JR really wants a puck-moving defenseman.

Once they took the lead, I thought the Canes sat back and watched a bit too much. Our sitting back led to a missed Sundin shot, a shot he normally wouldn't miss.

In sports I know it's called playing not to lose. Prevent defence in football, running down the shot clock in basketball. Hey, dance with the girl you bring, don't switch what got you in a position to win in the first place. Sad to say, it's a coaches thing. No player wants to do it. I don't mean go out and take ridiculous chances, but in Wallin's case tonight, playing hockey would get the puck out of the zone. I know I'm prejudiced. I hate kick and run soccer which this remings me of. I can hear that panic stricken parents yelling now, "Kick it son, kick it." Not pass, not shoot, kick it.

In sports I know it's called playing not to lose. Prevent defence in football, running down the shot clock in basketball. Hey, dance with the girl you bring, don't switch what got you in a position to win in the first place. Sad to say, it's a coaches thing. No player wants to do it. I don't mean go out and take ridiculous chances, but in Wallin's case tonight, playing hockey would get the puck out of the zone. I know I'm prejudiced. I hate kick and run soccer which this remings me of. I can hear that panic stricken parents yelling now, "Kick it son, kick it." Not pass, not shoot, kick it.

Also, from what I saw on the replay, Sundin didn't miss, Cam got a stick to the puck. I couldn't believe it at first. Had to see it a second and third time.

K~

Big shoutout to TMFG. Best defenseman out tonight, and got some points out of it as well.

He looked better in the 2nd and 3rd period, I thought. The first period he couldn't seem to accept a pass without screwing it up. I'm not a Frank lover, but he hit Gleason with a few perfectly smooth, direct passes and Gleason coughed em up. That's the only part of his game Gleason needs to improve, taking the puck and MOVING with it.

Hedican played a solid game....logged 25:55 minutes, team high. I sure wish he'd use his skating skill better to move the puck up the ice. He's more than capable. At one time I even saw Frank skate the puck into the zone. Wesley even flashed to net with the puck. I know we want the D-men to be more active in the offensive zone, but Wesley!!!?? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

I though the D-men were solid tonight, not perfect, but stayed on their positions a bit better. I think the fowards are coming back a bit harder, and hopefully an inkling of trust between the d-men and forwards is taking hold. Cam was able to make the 1st save, and the other guys cleared the puck out of harms way. Cam didn't have to make 2, 3, 4 saves all the time.

Also, from what I saw on the replay, Sundin didn't miss, Cam got a stick to the puck. I couldn't believe it at first. Had to see it a second and third time.

K~

I'm glad you said that, Caniac2630. I saw the game on FSN tonight and thought I noticed on the first replay that the puck glanced off Cam's stick and went wide. I was more certain of it on the second replay, but I'm old and my eyes ain't what they used to be so when I read earlier posts I thought I was mistaken. John and Tripp never mentioned it.

I agree with previous posters that the first goal was a little soft and partly the result of a defensive flub and that, at times, Ward looked a little shaky in the net, but the bottom line is - he got the job done. Two pretty good games in row. Maybe he'll get back on top of his game and shut up us naysayers. Yes, I too have been down on Cam this season. But I'm waiting to see if the improvement continues. There's nothing like a hot goalie to help in the points standings (although tonight Toskala proved that a hot goalie doesn't always win the game).

Speaking of being down on players, didn't I see Staal make a great hit on the defensive boards in the first (or was it the second) period? I can't remember who the player was but Staal put him on his knees, stole the puck, and made a nifty pass out of the zone. He may not have had any points tonight, but he continued with some physical play. Good to see.

And that brings me to my final point. The thing that made this game a good for the 'Canes - defensemen scoring points. It's nice to see that when the forwards aren't able to get it in the net there are defensemen stepping up. As the majority voted in the poll about "Where you stand on the 'Canes" - "We've got all the talent we need but no hunger/spark/drive... " - we do have talent, but they must play like a team. When some guys are having an off night, others need to step up. If I'm not mistaken that's what this team did in 2005-2006.

RRW

P.S. I was pulling for Hamilton to do well tonight, but I assume he didn't do enough to secure a spot? Or did he? Opinions?

2/1/2008 12:32:36 AM

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nik Antropov was assessed two game misconduct penalties in overtime of a 3-2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes. The second penalty was for abuse of an official - which carries an automatic three game suspension.

With the game tied 2-2 and 2:36 left in overtime, Antropov took a costly hooking penalty. Rod Brind'Amour scored on the power play, giving the Hurricanes the win.

Witnesses at the game say it appeared Antropov left the penalty box and threw his stick at the referee following the game winning goal.

--------------------------------

I didn't even see that. lol

2/1/2008 12:32:36 AM

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nik Antropov was assessed two game misconduct penalties in overtime of a 3-2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes. The second penalty was for abuse of an official - which carries an automatic three game suspension.

With the game tied 2-2 and 2:36 left in overtime, Antropov took a costly hooking penalty. Rod Brind'Amour scored on the power play, giving the Hurricanes the win.

Witnesses at the game say it appeared Antropov left the penalty box and threw his stick at the referee following the game winning goal.

--------------------------------

I didn't even see that. lol

Yeah, we saw it, happened right in front of us. He got out of the box, and smashed his stick 2-3 times on the glass. Then he picked it up (it may have even have been broken at this time) and threw it not once, but twice at the linesman. One of his teammate braved crossing through our players as they congratulated Cam to get to him before he did more damage but by that time. as they say, the damage was done.

Yeah, we saw it, happened right in front of us. He got out of the box, and smashed his stick 2-3 times on the glass. Then he picked it up (it may have even have been broken at this time) and threw it not once, but twice at the linesman. One of his teammate braved crossing through our players as they congratulated Cam to get to him before he did more damage but by that time. as they say, the damage was done.

After watching the call against him, I can see why he would be ticked.

I'll keep my analysis short. I think the Canes were the winners on the scoreboard but not the clear winners on the ice. Luck wore white and black barred shirts and had red glasses on in crucial moments. At this stage, I take the two points anyway we can get them and I can see that the Canes are trying harder but I think the Canes are still performing at only 80%-85% of what they should be capable of.

They were either nervous again in the first or just don't know how to mentally prepare themselves for the beginning of a game to more often than not, start out with a goal down. Granted, it was a laser shot that hit off the post and I'm not blaming Cam on that goal, but it just gets very tiring to see us trying to come back all the time. Better teams than the Leafs, and there are a lot of them, will take that momentum to the next level in the play-offs, assuming of course that we make it there.

Good game. Unlucky re-direct from Sundin cost us the win in regulation, but a win is a win is a win.

Good goal by Gleason. Worked hard all night. The camera was focused on him on the bench at the end

of the 2nd period and he had a look of "I'm gonna kill that guy" before heading off to the locker-room.

Good goal by Walker. Wonder how close it was to being a high stick goal....

At least we scored a PP goal, albeit a 4-on-3 in OT.

Sshhhh. Don't tell anyone, but the Canes have 4 of their last 5 games.... ;)

Wesley even flashed to net with the puck. I know we want the D-men to be more active in the offensive zone, but Wesley!!!?? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

you do know that Wesley was originally drafted as a kid to be an "offensive defenseman" by the Bruins... right?