The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Post Game Analysis, Jan. 31 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

After watching the call against him, I can see why he would be ticked.

I'll keep my analysis short. I think the Canes were the winners on the scoreboard but not the clear winners on the ice. Luck wore white and black barred shirts and had red glasses on in crucial moments. At this stage, I take the two points anyway we can get them and I can see that the Canes are trying harder but I think the Canes are still performing at only 80%-85% of what they should be capable of.

They were either nervous again in the first or just don't know how to mentally prepare themselves for the beginning of a game to more often than not, start out with a goal down. Granted, it was a laser shot that hit off the post and I'm not blaming Cam on that goal, but it just gets very tiring to see us trying to come back all the time. Better teams than the Leafs, and there are a lot of them, will take that momentum to the next level in the play-offs, assuming of course that we make it there.

Watching the replay on TV, Antropov's hooked Stillman right on the hands - badly - and it was indeed a penalty. And, the replay TV had was from behind. Stillman was in the process of firing a long pass to Brind'Amour, who was *wide open* at the Leafs' blue line. Antropov took the penalty, but he saved what may have been a breakaway for Brindy. Perhaps the refs saw that as well.

In any case, it's 2 points. And the Leafs caught a break on the Sundin goal or it would never have gotten to OT. Replay showed Sundin appear to not only turn his skate, but move it toward the puck as well. Goals have been disallowed for less than what he did on that one.

So, it goes both ways IMO.

Overall a solid effort by the team. Still a couple of defensive breakdowns led to Toronto goals. Canes had more scoring chances and need to start capitalizing to avoid these close games. Walker in particular looked real strong. When clearing the zone players need to make sure they are getting it out.

you do know that Wesley was originally drafted as a kid to be an "offensive defenseman" by the Bruins... right?
Good remembrance, sixnitepkg. And, not only was Wesley drafted to be that, he actually was, notching over 40 points four times in seven seasons with Boston, twice over 50! (54 and 58). Double-digits in goals three times as well, scoring 19 (!) in the 88-89 season. (That's 1988-1989, not 1888-1889... :) )

Good remembrance, sixnitepkg. And, not only was Wesley drafted to be that, he actually was, notching over 40 points four times in seven seasons with Boston, twice over 50! (54 and 58). Double-digits in goals three times as well, scoring 19 (!) in the 88-89 season. (That's 1988-1989, not 1888-1889... :) )

Wesley was the rookie phenom in Boston. The city was not happy with him when he departed, and its a tough sports city.

Gleason really had a great game last night and I was one of the doubters as to whether or not he was showing signs of more development this season. Glad to be wrong and I hope he keeps it up.

Losing Cullen, for who knows how long this time, really concerns me. He's the key to our 4 line assault and although Hamilton did a respectable job last night, he's no Matt Cullen. Now we have two holes to fill.

Wesley was the rookie phenom in Boston. The city was not happy with him when he departed, and its a tough sports city.

Gleason really had a great game last night and I was one of the doubters as to whether or not he was showing signs of more development this season. Glad to be wrong and I hope he keeps it up.

Losing Cullen, for who knows how long this time, really concerns me. He's the key to our 4 line assault and although Hamilton did a respectable job last night, he's no Matt Cullen. Now we have two holes to fill.

Just a few comments.

1. Wallin should not have been out there in the last minute. He's -14 for a reason, and his failed clear led to the goal. If Brindamour won the faceoff, there was no reason it shouldn't have been cleared immediately.

Granted that wrap around was not the preferred option, but it happened. My question is where was our left wing that is supposed to be on the boards? Toronto got a player over there, why didn

Watching the replay on TV, Antropov's hooked Stillman right on the hands - badly - and it was indeed a penalty. And, the replay TV had was from behind. Stillman was in the process of firing a long pass to Brind'Amour, who was *wide open* at the Leafs' blue line. Antropov took the penalty, but he saved what may have been a breakaway for Brindy. Perhaps the refs saw that as well.

In any case, it's 2 points. And the Leafs caught a break on the Sundin goal or it would never have gotten to OT. Replay showed Sundin appear to not only turn his skate, but move it toward the puck as well. Goals have been disallowed for less than what he did on that one.

So, it goes both ways IMO.

Maybe Antropov was ticked because the Leafs were holding, hooking, interfering, and sucker-punching all night and it wasn't called, so maybe he figured that he'd get away with it again. Dunno. But the ref was definitely in harm's way when Antropov threw his stick at him, and is lucky it didn't connect. I guess Antropov was too - what kind of suspension do you get if you injure a ref?

BTW - I like how John and Tripp congratulated Erik Cole for "drawing" a penalty (I saw that on the replay this a.m. - we were at the game...). Yeah, the Leaf player grabbed him by the helmet and yanked his head down so hard that he fell to the ice and then then he sucker-punched Erik as he was skating back to the bench. That's drawing a penalty alright. Don't know if Erik was being mouthy or what during the game, but man he was being mauled all through the game.

And oh yeah, how about the high stick to Brindy's eye that required stitches ... and wasn't called.

Yet another great officiating effort. :huh:

I have to agree that I'm so used to us being down a goal after the first five minutes, I hardly even worry about it any more. Toskala stood on his head, and is the only reason that the Leafs were in the game. Glad to get the two points. Glad we were there again for a win. The last four games we've been to in person they've won! The two we missed they lost. We'll try to get to all of the home games from here out. :P

Maybe Antropov was ticked because the Leafs were holding, hooking, interfering, and sucker-punching all night and it wasn't called, so maybe he figured that he'd get away with it again. Dunno. But the ref was definitely in harm's way when Antropov threw his stick at him, and is lucky it didn't connect. I guess Antropov was too - what kind of suspension do you get if you injure a ref?

Throwing the stick is 3 games minimum.

Hitting the ref is 10 games minimum.

If it's determined that it's intent to injure, it's a 20 game minimum.

I actually remember watching Wesley in Boston, he was indeed a puck moving offensive defenseman. He retooled his game as he got older.

Last night was an average effort for the team and the goalie. The good thing is that is wasn't a below average effort, and that they pulled out a win after almost giving it away. I would give the team and Cam a B on effort/effect. It goes to show that an average effort with average NHL goaltending can end in a win. But an average effort with below average goaltending will end in an L.

I agree that Cullen's symptoms are concerning. I suspect he will be out for quite a while now. He has played a major role on this team. Hamilton got a repreive and failed to impress. He is a significant downgrade from Cullen. I hope Matt gets back in there soon. Maybe with sustained ice time Hamilton will ascend. I tend to doubt it though. Like I think it was Tripp said, "When every team in the league passes on you for half your salary, it lets you know where you stand." Right again.

Anyone having any concerns about Cory Stillman? Last night I really watched him closely and although there was an occasional great play or burst from him, overall his play is not even close to where it was back in October. Last night he had a tough time receiving passes, keeping the zone and his usual smart play looked more guarded than opportunistic.

Anyone having any concerns about Cory Stillman? Last night I really watched him closely and although there was an occasional great play or burst from him, overall his play is not even close to where it was back in October. Last night he had a tough time receiving passes, keeping the zone and his usual smart play looked more guarded than opportunistic.

Yeah, I was thinking while watching that he played very "old" last night. He just didn't seem to have much jump.

Throwing the stick is 3 games minimum.

Hitting the ref is 10 games minimum.

If it's determined that it's intent to injure, it's a 20 game minimum.

We have a winner! NHL just announced Antropov has been suspended for 3 games. I guess the officials DID see it

During one of his interviews he let it slip that he's battling an injury. I think it was the Islanders game before the All Star break that Monday afternoon. He scored the GWG in OT and was the guy Tripp/John interviewed. He said something like it was good to get a goal especially when your battling an injury. Then it was like oops, i shouldn't have said and started to take the conversation in another direction.

During one of his interviews he let it slip that he's battling an injury. I think it was the Islanders game before the All Star break that Monday afternoon. He scored the GWG in OT and was the guy Tripp/John interviewed. He said something like it was good to get a goal especially when your battling an injury. Then it was like oops, i shouldn't have said and started to take the conversation in another direction.

Was that a "fresh" injury..or the "car accident" injury he was referring to? Not sure

Was that a "fresh" injury..or the "car accident" injury he was referring to? Not sure

I think its the knee. Remember one game, back in late Nov early December Stillman went down with the knee injury and he miracuously recovered from that. Well I don't think he 100% recovered from that and he's got lingering effects from that hit.

I think its the knee. Remember one game, back in late Nov early December Stillman went down with the knee injury and he miracuously recovered from that. Well I don't think he 100% recovered from that and he's got lingering effects from that hit.

Is this confirmed or guessed?

I did not read all the posts here but sitting behind the goal on the Walker Tip in, after the puck went in the goal, I told the person beside me "It will not count, it was tippped with a high stick". I was amazed it made it through the review. (i.e. camera angles) I think the Canes got lucky on that one but some nights the puck bounces your way.

I'm guessing. I just remember that game where he went down and his knee bent in a way it shouldn't bend. And everyone thought he was gonna be out for awhile, but he showed up to practice the next day, practiced and hasn't missed a game since then. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together, he injured his knee, his play has slipped since then, he accidentally said he's battling through an injury.

I did not read all the posts here but sitting behind the goal on the Walker Tip in, after the puck went in the goal, I told the person beside me "It will not count, it was tippped with a high stick". I was amazed it made it through the review. (i.e. camera angles) I think the Canes got lucky on that one but some nights the puck bounces your way.

The broadcast replay angle from the blue line had it look like it may have deflected off of White's helmet. He sure tried to get his head out of the way as fast as he could, that's for sure.

The broadcast replay angle from the blue line had it look like it may have deflected off of White's helmet. He sure tried to get his head out of the way as fast as he could, that's for sure.

That was the first goal, the one credited to Gleason. He's talking about the second goal.

I've been convinced that Stillman has been battling an injury for a while. I paid closer attention last night and it looks like he's favoring his left knee, and IIRC, it was his left knee that he tweaked in the middle of the ice some time ago where he came back to practice the very next day and seemed ok (what colesylarosefan referred to).

He just hasn't been the same since then. You can tell he shies away from certain hits, only lays hits a certain way, skates awkwardly at times, and loses an edge more often than usual. He was going down left and right last night vs Toronto. His point production has dropped off a bit, but he gets a pass from me. Hopefully Cullen can get 100% healthy soon, come back, and before moving Hamilton, maybe sit Stiller for a few games.